Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

After hitting the G400 a few different times, this is the best feeling driver I’ve ever hit. It’s not beautiful, but everything else is as good as it gets. Oh and make full-length headcovers again please.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the g400 today lst 8.5 head. First shaft was tour 65 and the same problem with the last 3 generations of ping drivers showed up. Huge back spin. Like 4500-5000. Then tried hzdrus 75g. Same crap huge spin. Also tried kuro Kage and big spin. Started thinking okay I am never going to fit a ping g driver. Then tried the x torsion 65 shaft and that is where it came alive. Spin came down to 2200 and felt really solid. I also tried the sub zero with rogue max and ball speed was higher. Felt good but was very fade biased for me. I am going to go back with my king Ltd and see if I am seeing any gains. The weird thing is I swear the torsion was 65g but I cannot find any info about a 65 model. I even wrote it down and stuck it in my pocket after I hit it.

I played 6 rounds these past three days with my new 10 degree G400 LST. Coming from a 12 degree G SFT, it took a while to adjust. I finally got a feel for it over the final three rounds. Being low spin and non-draw biased, it's less likely to hook than my G. That doesn't mean it can't hook, but it seems less likely to do so. With two degrees less loft it's no surprise the ball flight is lower. In firm conditions this thing could get a boatload of roll. I think it's much less forgiving on mishits. With less spin, anything hit far offcenter is a short knuckball. I was losing 20 to 50 yards on the mishits. Yeah, I hit a few whopping 200 yards drives.

I'm not sure if this is a keeper. I'm probably going to wait until I've played more rounds with it next Spring before making a final decision.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played today with the 10 G400 (LST would fit me better) in a shaft that doesn't work for me but I'm impressed. This thing just wants to go straight. I'll be testing the G 9 and LST 8.5 with my shafts asap.

Love my Epic. But Ping has my full attention.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Has anyone added hotmelt close to the face on the standard G400 in an effort lower spin? Did it work?

I ask because for some the standard spins a bit much and the LST doesn't spin enough.

I really want to try one, but the left-handed LST are hard to come by used. Plenty of standard G400 out there.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Has anyone added hotmelt close to the face on the standard G400 in an effort lower spin? Did it work?

I ask because for some the standard spins a bit much and the LST doesn't spin enough.

I really want to try one, but the left-handed LST are hard to come by used. Plenty of standard G400 out there.

You wouldn’t be able to add anywhere near enough melt to do anything but mute the sound/feel.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

You wouldn't be able to add anywhere near enough melt to do anything but mute the sound/feel.

I tried it with a first generation Callaway XR driver. I play my drivers at 44.25" - 44.5" so I usually end up cutting a standard driver down 1" - 1.5".

I added 10-12 grams hotmelt to the XR low and very close to the face and it definitely dropped the spin some. I don't have any definitive LM numbers, but I did pick up more distance with more roll.

J13 did something similar with an XR driver and had similar results. He mentioned something about the additional weight forward can produce a more neutral axis and drop spin.

PXG Bat Attack H

You wouldn't be able to add anywhere near enough melt to do anything but mute the sound/feel.

I tried it with a first generation Callaway XR driver. I play my drivers at 44.25" - 44.5" so I usually end up cutting a standard driver down 1" - 1.5".

I added 10-12 grams hotmelt to the XR low and very close to the face and it definitely dropped the spin some. I don't have any definitive LM numbers, but I did pick up more distance with more roll.

J13 did something similar with an XR driver and had similar results. He mentioned something about the additional weight forward can produce a more neutral axis and drop spin.

People much smarter than me who post on here like Wishon have stated that the amount of hotmelt needed to change the CG is not something you’d ever put into a driver. Ill see if I can find any links.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-golfers-add-lead-tape-1563329

This is from an old thread on here

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

People much smarter than me who post on here like Wishon have stated that the amount of hotmelt needed to change the CG is not something you'd ever put into a driver. Ill see if I can find any links.

https://www.thoughtc...ad-tape-1563329

This is from an old thread on here

Those folks are all smarter than me, too. Just some wishful thinking on my part....... (cool)

I guess I'll just have to find some patience and wait for an LST head to surface. :)

PXG Bat Attack H

I have had this about 2 weeks after winning it in a Twitter contest.

I've got 2 range sessions and 2 rounds in with it and I've been absolutely amazed with it.

I'm hitting it MUCH longer than my Mizuno and the dispersion has been fantastic. I almost

passed this thing by because I could only test it with the Alta shaft, and that was a bad ball

flight that ballooned on me.

I absolutely love the Tour 65 shaft. I love hitting wedges and 9 irons instead of 6's and 7's.

So, been playing (trying out) the G400 SFTec driver for a few rounds, and, for some reason(s), I still hit my G30 SFTec better... the same thing happened when I had a G SFTec driver last summer... my G30 SFTec does a better overall job in keeping me in play/make better contact w/it (will continue to "test" the G400 SFTec a bit more before making a final decision on it).

This is why one shouldn't get rid of one's "gamers" right away!

Well, count it. Less than 4 months...cracked face.

4ea6319a5a4ce4510060f9b4e8f179f5.jpg

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Holy crap, Gio. That sucks huge!!! :sorry:

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Guys, not hating. Lol I already called ping, replacing it tomorrow. Easy fellas, dont taze me bro

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Guys, not hating. Lol I already called ping, replacing it tomorrow. Easy fellas, dont taze me bro

Posting that picture on here is like posting on webMD that your knee hurts because your center-most appendage keeps hitting it while you walk.

HumbleBRAG FTW!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I have to say, I nearly hated this driver after I first put it into play. I was sure it was getting traded back in towards something else.... Last couple rounds this thing has been an absolute beast. Tour 65 stiff set at 10* last week, 9* today.... I hit a couple today that were finished in the 290 range getting me closer to some greens at my home course than I have ever been in 1 shot. AND, best of all, in the fairway. It's making the game way more fun right now...

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

Posting that picture on here is like posting on webMD that your knee hurts because your center-most appendage keeps hitting it while you walk.

HumbleBRAG FTW!

Who told you about my knee pain and center appendage?

After taking our clubs demo in the 10.5 out for a few rounds with the stock shaft, I was impressed enough to get the Ping tip put on my shaft. I played 5 head to head rounds with this set up vs the same shaft in my SZ. The only difference was I have the Ping .5" shorter due the head weight.

I've played the Epic SZ all season and it was a very good year for me. The one complaint I had with the SZ was I missed left with it more than I'd like. Not hooky but would run out left on me and good became ok or bad.

Distance wise, not much difference between them. The SZ flight is a little lower and has more roll out.

The G400 has been more consistent finding fairways. A few of the rounds were really windy, one in 30mph range most of the round. I'm amazed at how little movement I get with the Ping.

The only test left for me is the 9 down to 8.4 vs the LST 8.5. Not seeing much of a difference between them other than the 9 seems to be just a little better so far. Which is a surprise for me.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I’m currently playing a Cally Epic with a Fujikura Fuel 60s. Same shaft I had in the Cally 815 Alpha but picked up tighter dispersion and more distance with the Epic Head. I haven’t played a Ping driver in years but am interested in the G400. Any recommendations on which Head and shaft I could try?

I’m currently playing a Cally Epic with a Fujikura Fuel 60s. Same shaft I had in the Cally 815 Alpha but picked up tighter dispersion and more distance with the Epic Head. I haven’t played a Ping driver in years but am interested in the G400. Any recommendations on which Head and shaft I could try?

I'd try as many combinations as I could at a fitter but you might start with the std G400 head with a Tour 65S shaft.

How does Tour 65 compare to Kuro Kage and Alta?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993