2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

I have had this about 2 weeks after winning it in a Twitter contest.

I've got 2 range sessions and 2 rounds in with it and I've been absolutely amazed with it.

I'm hitting it MUCH longer than my Mizuno and the dispersion has been fantastic. I almost

passed this thing by because I could only test it with the Alta shaft, and that was a bad ball

flight that ballooned on me.

I absolutely love the Tour 65 shaft. I love hitting wedges and 9 irons instead of 6's and 7's.

What Mizuno driver were you playing? I'm still gaming the JPX 850, but, I'm going in for a driver fitting soon. I played the G20 for four years before I switched to the JPX 850. I loved that G20 and I love my 850, so it will take a lot to get me drop it. But I've never had a customer 'tour van fitting' either, so I'm sure I'll get fit into something better for me that isn't something I bought off the rack cause it looked cool.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had this about 2 weeks after winning it in a Twitter contest.

I've got 2 range sessions and 2 rounds in with it and I've been absolutely amazed with it.

I'm hitting it MUCH longer than my Mizuno and the dispersion has been fantastic. I almost

passed this thing by because I could only test it with the Alta shaft, and that was a bad ball

flight that ballooned on me.

I absolutely love the Tour 65 shaft. I love hitting wedges and 9 irons instead of 6's and 7's.

What Mizuno driver were you playing? I'm still gaming the JPX 850, but, I'm going in for a driver fitting soon. I played the G20 for four years before I switched to the JPX 850. I loved that G20 and I love my 850, so it will take a lot to get me drop it. But I've never had a customer 'tour van fitting' either, so I'm sure I'll get fit into something better for me that isn't something I bought off the rack cause it looked cool.

I was playing the JPX 850, which actually was fit to me by Club Champion 3 years ago. And even though the JPX is long, when hit well, the #G400 is just so much more forgiving...and LONGER... And the sound is...well.... Perfect. In my opinion of course.

Here's some data I got from a GC2 today...hit Pro V's. Can't guarantee everything was exactly identical, but was working with what I could at a retailer. Take it for what it's worth...this is in the order I hit them, and I was probably wearing down a bit by the end. I have no idea what's up with my M2, but the ball speed is atrocious. I've been hitting it really well all year but according to the monitor I'm losing 3-5mph of ball speed compared to the G400.

TM M2 (10.5*, 2016) with AD TP 6X

Ball Speed - 154.3 mph

Launch - 13.0

Backspin - 2816 rpm

Carry - 254

Total - 272

G400 (8.5*) LST with Alta CB S (Hard to find stock X stiff shafts at retailer for Ping products)

Ball Speed - 160.2

Launch - 10.1

Backspin - 2932

Carry - 260

Total - 278

G400 (10*) LST with HZRDUS 6.0

Ball Speed - 158.3

Launch - 10.9

Backspin - 2770

Carry - 262

Total - 281

G400 (10*) LST with X-Torsion Copper S (again, no X)

Ball Speed - 159.1

Launch - 12.3

Backspin - 3146

Carry - 261

Total - 278

G400 (10*) LST with Tensei Blue 60X (finally got into some other shafts)

Ball Speed -157.7

Launch - 12.8

Backspin - 2529

Carry - 265

Total - 285

G400 (10*) LST with Tour Design AD BB 6X

Ball Speed - 158.1

Launch - 12.6

Backspin - 3243

Carry - 260

Total - 277

Here's some data I got from a GC2 today...hit Pro V's. Can't guarantee everything was exactly identical, but was working with what I could at a retailer. Take it for what it's worth...this is in the order I hit them, and I was probably wearing down a bit by the end. I have no idea what's up with my M2, but the ball speed is atrocious. I've been hitting it really well all year but according to the monitor I'm losing 3-5mph of ball speed compared to the G400. Any comments or feedback are appreciated.

TM M2 (10.5*, 2016) with AD TP 6X

Ball Speed - 154.3 mph

Launch - 13.0

Backspin - 2816 rpm

Carry - 254

Total - 272

G400 (8.5*) LST with Alta CB S (Hard to find stock X stiff shafts at retailer for Ping products)

Ball Speed - 160.2

Launch - 10.1

Backspin - 2932

Carry - 260

Total - 278

G400 (10*) LST with HZRDUS 6.0

Ball Speed - 158.3

Launch - 10.9

Backspin - 2770

Carry - 262

Total - 281

G400 (10*) LST with X-Torsion Copper S (again, no X)

Ball Speed - 159.1

Launch - 12.3

Backspin - 3146

Carry - 261

Total - 278

G400 (10*) LST with Tensei Blue 60X (finally got into some other shafts)

Ball Speed -157.7

Launch - 12.8

Backspin - 2529

Carry - 265

Total - 285

G400 (10*) LST with Tour Design AD BB 6X

Ball Speed - 158.1

Launch - 12.6

Backspin - 3243

Carry - 260

Total - 277

Didn't try the Ping Tour shaft? Would love to see how it compares to those you demoed. That Tensei Blue really has my interest but I'm hitting the Tour 65 well right now and most likely don't need to be messing with anything. Interesting to see the Alta with the fastest ball speed, too.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

Didn't try the Ping Tour shaft? Would love to see how it compares to those you demoed. That Tensei Blue really has my interest but I'm hitting the Tour 65 well right now and most likely don't need to be messing with anything. Interesting to see the Alta with the fastest ball speed, too.

Yeah unfortunately I didn't hit the Tour shaft. I'm going to try and do that sometime this week. I was actually trying to find one to hit when an employee hooked me up with the premium shafts (Tensei, AD BB). The Tensei Blue felt good. Several people had suggested the Orange when I replied earlier in this thread...unfortunately they only had the White or Blue, and with my launch, the White will probably be too low.

Overall I thought it was really forgiving, both in ball speed and accuracy, and felt/sounded very solid. I could definitely play one without any problem. I would just like to try and find a shaft that can get me that 12-13* of launch and 2500 rpm spin...obviously the Blue was closest to that. Unfortunately I won't be able to test with the Orange.

Yeah unfortunately I didn't hit the Tour shaft. I'm going to try and do that sometime this week. I was actually trying to find one to hit when an employee hooked me up with the premium shafts (Tensei, AD BB). The Tensei Blue felt good. Several people had suggested the Orange when I replied earlier in this thread...unfortunately they only had the White or Blue, and with my launch, the White will probably be too low.

Overall I thought it was really forgiving, both in ball speed and accuracy, and felt/sounded very solid. I could definitely play one without any problem. I would just like to try and find a shaft that can get me that 12-13* of launch and 2500 rpm spin...obviously the Blue was closest to that. Unfortunately I won't be able to test with the Orange.

That Tensei blue looks like your best bet so far.... I would love to hear what you think of that shaft on course. Also, if you get to hit the Tour shaft, please let us know how it performs!

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

That Tensei blue looks like your best bet so far.... I would love to hear what you think of that shaft on course. Also, if you get to hit the Tour shaft, please let us know how it performs!

I'll definitely hit the Tour and post the results. I'll try and hit the Tensei Blue again as well...I'm hoping I can get some more ball speed out of it. It's entirely possible that those strikes were not great. Not sure how else to explain that it had the lowest ball speed of all the options

I played away yesterday for my second full round with my G400 (10.5 w/ Tour 65 S). I had a well above average driving day again (two in a row). Hit some rather high drives into a steady on-shore wind and got good carry. I know the LST is the true WRX badge but for a mid capper like me, it seems to be relatively low spin. Maybe not as low as my old i25 but good for me. Again, very stable face angle through the strike. My only miss was purely mechanical (push) but even that had a square face to the path. You read stuff here about "point and shoot" and "wants to go straight" but it's the case for the G400 with any kind of half decent swing.

For you guys playing the LST, what’s your swing speed? Loving my 9* but thinking about trying a 10* LST... I was getting readings from 104-107 on the gc2... just wondering if it might help eliminate the lefts a little more.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

For you guys playing the LST, what’s your swing speed? Loving my 9* but thinking about trying a 10* LST... I was getting readings from 104-107 on the gc2... just wondering if it might help eliminate the lefts a little more.

I'm around 110ss and hit the LST, but for no reason other than I want low spin. Accuracy was great

I'm around 110ss and hit the LST, but for no reason other than I want low spin. Accuracy was great

Do you find it to launch high enough? It's another reason I am thinking 10* LST.... The 9* regular head seem to have a more mid, penetrating flight. I don't hate it... rolls out nicely but would like a little higher flight possibly gaining more carry.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Lots more too it than swing speed when determining which head is best for you. Left misses are likely a face/path issue not a club head either.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

I'm low/mid 90s that hits up on the ball with moderate spin. Had a 10 deg G30LS and the Ping rep put me on trackman and said I needed the 8.5 LST.

I don't find much difference in the bias of the LSTec vs the regular heads myself. It's more the launch differences. Now SFTec has some draw in it.

For you guys playing the LST, what's your swing speed? Loving my 9* but thinking about trying a 10* LST... I was getting readings from 104-107 on the gc2... just wondering if it might help eliminate the lefts a little more.

Lots more too it than swing speed when determining which head is best for you. Left misses are likely a face/path issue not a club head either.

I don't disagree, there are swing issues, but the past LST heads I have tried have definitely been more fade biased. Many have a hard time with closed driver faces, myself included, so why not try and take advantage of some tech if it's out there, I figure....

With that said, I did hit the LST heads today and did not prefer them. They do feel harder (as did previous generations to me) and dispersion was a little more erratic. I did hit a couple really long ones, but I will stick with the regular G400 head for now.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

I have my g400 with a tensei orange and play it at 8.4 degrees. This driver beat out the epic SZ with evenflow black and m2 2016 with hazardous black. When they are all hit on the screws the ping was even or a couple yards past both. Plus more forgiveness, it was a no brainer me!

Hows your trajectory with this combo? Ordered a 10.5 head and have either an ad-di 6 or attas 6 Star to put in. I usually need something high launch but the g400 seems to be high launching by nature. Interested in the orange in 60-x

Callaway epic flash subzero 9* ad-iz 6
Callaway epic flash subzero 15* ad-iz 7
Callaway apex ‘19 hybrid 20* ad-di 95
2018 X-forged 4-W c-taper lite
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*/60* (raw) DG s200
Odyssey stroke lab 7s

Do you find it to launch high enough? It's another reason I am thinking 10* LST.... The 9* regular head seem to have a more mid, penetrating flight. I don't hate it... rolls out nicely but would like a little higher flight possibly gaining more carry.

In testing I found the 10* LST to launch about the same as the 9* regular G400. The 10.5* regular head launched a lot higher than either. I previously had a 10.5* G LS which launched a little higher than the G400 10* LS. So in summary I would say the G400 LS is one of the lower launching drivers to loft out there. As an aside, I also found all G400 models to give a little more clubhead speed. There is something in the smaller head design

I'm still loving my standard G400 but may have to take a look at the new milled face cobra F8+ as a backup driver!

I actually might wait to purchase the G400 to see if the Cobra F8 driver/line is better. Hoping demos come out at the start of the year.

As I’ve said before I’ve got the standard G4 10 1/2 with the stock stiff shaft and I believe the smaller head just like with Fairway Woods seems to be able to hit the center the clubface much easier, the 400 is very accurate I love the sound the length is good but I have to admit I used to have a G 25 8 1/2° with the stock stiff shaft years ago and I loved it and I traded it and I’ve always wanted one back and I found a brand new One the other day for 144 and it had the tour stiff shaft which is a little heavy for me so I have another stiff shaft coming for it but it’s the first time in a while that the guys I play with I was actually keeping up with them distance wise & accuracy with the G 25 and I have to admit I did pre-order the F8 plus cobra and the single length three hybrid as well from cobra depends on the results it’ll definitely be a good measure of distance accuracy once I’ve got all three together. I love ping drivers cobra seems to always been my second choice and Taylor made my third will see .

If you're interested Michael Newton recently posted a video where he does a comparison of the Alta, Ping Tour 65 and Hzrdus Yellow using a G400 LST.

If you're interested Michael Newton recently posted a video where he does a comparison of the Alta, Ping Tour 65 and Hzrdus Yellow using a G400 LST.

Thanks!! Yes, I have seen that video and have become a fan of his. The results were pretty interesting... I was just hoping to see Armour's results in comparison to the Tensei blue. I can't complain with my Tour 65, it feels much better to me than it ever did in the G30 for some reason. I also have a Speeder 661 Evo I may try for a little higher launch, will probably give that a shot this week.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

I was just hoping to see Armour's results in comparison to the Tensei blue. I can't complain with my Tour 65, it feels much better to me than it ever did in the G30 for some reason. I also have a Speeder 661 Evo I may try for a little higher launch, will probably give that a shot this week.

Alright so the first time I hit the Tour 65X I ran out of time and lost the results. I got to hit it a little yesterday and the numbers were okay but not great. Sadly I thought the numbers were pretty good the first time so maybe I just had a bad run this time...

157.25 Ball speed

14.25 Launch

3,150 spin

259 carry

275 total

Tensei Blue still seems to be the best for me from what I have tried

I was just hoping to see Armour's results in comparison to the Tensei blue. I can't complain with my Tour 65, it feels much better to me than it ever did in the G30 for some reason. I also have a Speeder 661 Evo I may try for a little higher launch, will probably give that a shot this week.

Alright so the first time I hit the Tour 65X I ran out of time and lost the results. I got to hit it a little yesterday and the numbers were okay but not great. Sadly I thought the numbers were pretty good the first time so maybe I just had a bad run this time...

157.25 Ball speed

14.25 Launch

3,150 spin

259 carry

275 total

Awesome man. Thanks for checking back in! I am surprised the Tour shaft preformed so poorly for you. Very interesting though. I am going to try my 661 Evo in the G400 this week. Now I am really interested in giving the Tensei a whirl! Thanks again, Armour!

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

157.25 Ball speed

14.25 Launch

3,150 spin

259 carry

275 total

Awesome man. Thanks for checking back in! I am surprised the Tour shaft preformed so poorly for you. Very interesting though. I am going to try my 661 Evo in the G400 this week. Now I am really interested in giving the Tensei a whirl! Thanks again, Armour!

I did like the feel and hit a few real good ones...just might not be a fit for my swing. The numbers definitely weren't disastrous and over a larger sample size I'd expect them to improve a bit

I am 104-108 (Trackman). Love my 10* LST. During my fitting, we found that the LST was more point and shoot/swing than the regular G400 so shot dispersion was a lot tighter. If I remember right, I think we saw about a ~10 yard tighter circle (?)...I just remember the circle on the Trackman comparison looked much smaller compared to the G400 and my former gamer (Callaway BBADBD). Hope that helps!

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

I am 104-108 (Trackman). Love my 10* LST. During my fitting, we found that the LST was more point and shoot/swing than the regular G400 so shot dispersion was a lot tighter. If I remember right, I think we saw about a ~10 yard tighter circle (?)...I just remember the circle on the Trackman comparison looked much smaller compared to the G400 and my former gamer (Callaway BBADBD). Hope that helps!

Just a bit off topic, but how good is the 3 wood?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Just a bit off topic, but how good is the 3 wood?

That’s probably the only stick I’m looking at next year, don’t know why I never hit it this year. Oh wait, I dropped $700 on a TI TM 3 wood lol.

FWIW I was talking with a local fitter and apparently there was something wrong with the early LS heads. Not the weight falling out or whatever other rumors were going around, performance was sub par. They swapped out all their LS fitting heads a while back and saw significant gains. I’m hoping that the backorder issue was Ping waiting to ship out better product. I plan on taking my LS in to the shop and hitting it against their demo heads to make sure.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Just yesterday I did another demo/testing/fitting with the G400 LST (rep told me to keep the club head and try it during the winter) vs my G LST (again), this time we met at my local golf shop that has GC2, GC quad and trackman, so trackman it was and "again" the results were so close that I am still playing my G LST, I have to say the G400 feels much more softer and muted (which I do like) and again the stock Alta 55 X Flex on my G LST (it is tipped 1" and playing at 44.5") was the best shaft for my swing, on the G400 the Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X Flex was the best performer, here are the last results from each driver:

G400 LST:

Ball Speed: 162.8

Launch: 13.8-14.1

Spin: 2350-2415

Carry: 271

Total: 292

G LST:

Ball Speed: 163.2

Launch: 14.2-14.6

Spin: 2130-2245

Carry: 275

Total: 297

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1