You have to question Phil's character at this point

King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Although he's been out in front of it, I'm really starting to question Phil Mickelson's character. He's been involved/associated with:
  1. A betting scandal and transferring large amounts of money offshore.
  2. An insider trading lawsuit
  3. Using the same guy implicated in this college admissions scandal

I can't think of another player in any sport that's been involved in as much shady activity and maintains his pristine character in the eyes of most.

Comments

• hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 12:59pm #2

Although he's been out in front of it, I'm really starting to question Phil Mickelson's character. He's been involved/associated with:

I can't think of another player in any sport that's been involved in as much shady activity and maintains his pristine character in the eyes of most.

Yeah but he said he didn't do anything wrong so we have to believe him.
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but he said he didn't do anything so we have to believe him.

Maybe not, but in my mind it goes back to a quote from another tour player I heard years ago - Phil always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He could be in a room with a bunch of Wall Street sharks and he'd be giving them stock picking advice. I think when you have that mentality, there is a tendency to try and operate in gray legal areas because that is often where the opportunity lies, even though it increases legal risk. With his money, i just don't see the point, other than he has an internal need to do that to show others how smart he is.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,814 ClubWRX
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Also has made some very questionable clothing choices over the years. White belts are for 32 waists and under, hefty.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,723 ClubWRX
    IBTL image/lock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lock:' />
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt anybody really wants to know the people they root for or cheer on, my guess is most people would be disappointed.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how many pages this thread will remain open for but I'll stick around to find out.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fans don't care about white collar crime. He's filthy rich... You almost expect this kind of stuff with people with lots of money and fame.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Fans don't care about white collar crime. He's filthy rich... You almost expect this kind of stuff with people with lots of money and fame.

and the golfer involved just happens to be PM .. again .. for the 3rd time .. is anyone surprised?
  • stimpmeterpstimpmeterp Washington DCMembers Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6674027_orig.jpg

Joined GolfWRX 7.7.07 | 150+ Positive Feedback | D.C. area | 11-12 Club Bag

PXG Bat Attack H | RTX-4 60* 54* & 48*
    TM RSI2 6-9 | Srixon U65 23* & 18*
    Callaway TC XHOT2 Pro 17*
    G400 LST 8.5*  

LinkSoul Soldier Bag 

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Since thousands of families have used this service in finding a college for their children, I’ll presume they’re innocent until evidence proves otherwise!
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville FloridaMembers Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people who have spent considerable time inside and outside the ropes with him. Let's just say the opposition is not always entirely incorrect about him. I'm not judging his character, I'm just saying.

I'm out.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • Couples1Couples1 Members Posts: 150

Yeah but he said he didn't do anything wrong so we have to believe him.

Phil has been tainted by the other 1% crooks ... like Greg Norman, who played the front man for Wall Street stock/hedge fund scammers ( see Jack Welch, Norman's big buddy). Norman, then confused, himself and the simple minded, he was a great business man and so so so smart (sound familiar). Ya, that Cobra crap was worth that much and how is that wine business going now, Greg?.

When it comes to the 1% fleecing that never ending national treasure (our tax money ) ... they will keep finding ways to do it.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so everyone knows, I was being facetious.
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:24pm #16

Yeah but he said he didn't do anything so we have to believe him.

Maybe not, but in my mind it goes back to a quote from another tour player I heard years ago - Phil always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He could be in a room with a bunch of Wall Street sharks and he'd be giving them stock picking advice. I think when you have that mentality, there is a tendency to try and operate in gray legal areas because that is often where the opportunity lies, even though it increases legal risk. With his money, i just don't see the point, other than he has an internal need to do that to show others how smart he is.

Actually, guys like Phil and Norman, they know it all and though are so so much smarter than anyone ... will listen to these Wall Street scammers. Only those crooks can come up with the devious theft devices they come up with , while having the perfect connections. The Gov't/ Wall Street are one in the same when it comes to crime. And few are allowed in the club. Paradoxically, only the real stupid and unlucky get caught.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:22pm #17
    There’s is a presumption of innocence in the United States. Phil is entitled to it. Remember, Anthony Galea had patients who weren’t taking PED’s. His specialty was blood spinning and Galea was talented at it. Same type of scenario may be occurring here with Phil and this college admissions thing. Just have to wait and see.

Edit: just to be clear, I’m not defending Galea. He’s a criminal and did bad stuff. I’m simply saying not everyone who is involved with these professionals got the illegal treatments.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much wrote him off after the long-sleeve shirt he was hocking.

There's is a presumption of innocence in the United States. Phil is entitled to it. Remember, Anthony Galea had patients who weren't taking PED's. His specialty was blood spinning and Galea was talented at it. Same type of scenario may be occurring here with Phil and this college admissions thing. Just have to wait and see.

Like the stock scam with the convicted gambler ... Phil will skate. Doesn't mean he is innocent, just lucky.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He is what we call in the UK "Goldenballs". He can do what he likes because he has awesome marketing.
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:32pm #22
    I wonder if even half the people on this thread could live up to the moral standards they hold their professional athletes too...
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:47pm #23
    jmkenn0 wrote:

Who designed that junk ... that LA designer guy who was involved in college scam too. The feds should 'follow the ugly golf garb' ( Stewart Cink next ?)
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:41pm #24
    I'm also confused at the level of judgement over a mans involvement with a organization that, at the time he used it, had no negative reputation or implication of crooked practices. He had no idea, and that's what he said in the press.
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 1:40pm #25
    Couples1 wrote:

jmkenn0 wrote:

Who designed that junk ... that LA designer guy who was involvd in college scam too. The feds should 'follow the ugly golf garb' ( Stewart Cink next ?)

well how bout this one .. and credit to it already being posted in another topic .. the father (and husband of Lori Laughlin who was arrested) of the girl at USC on the yacht is Mossimo Giannuli .. who is the founder of G/FORE clothing (and a member at Bel Air and Lakeside).. guess what shoes Phil WEARS??? yeah the've never met before ...
  • falken19150falken19150 Members Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Never buying GFore stuff again.....
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX

IBTL image/lock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lock:' />

Me too!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    he would make a good politician...first pga tour player to go all the way
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    Dr. Block wrote:

I wonder if even half the people on this thread could live up to the moral standards they hold their professional athletes too...

I have incredibly low standards, so the pillars aren’t very high!��
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL what a dumb thread
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper

Toulon Atlanta
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger Members Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Using that logic we have no choice but to confidently assert that Tiger took PEDs given to him by Dr.Galea.
This discussion has been closed.