Mizuno jpx 900 forged

Jlb123

What are the handicap recommendations for these JPX irons? Single digits for the 900 Tour I would guess?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how well you strike it...

I bought my MP 52 after I broke 100 for the first time.

Still got them and never looked back

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Had the same experience until I changed the shafts to what I normally play. Also set them to 850 F lofts which are weaker in the longer irons. Became a different set of irons.

You think it might just be the weight of the modus then?

I'm curious to know if the fitting shafts are longer than the ones they put in my set.

I was fitted as standard length for both my sets of clubs but the Taylormade are longer.

I'm hoping it's just an adjustment period as I really liked these during the fitting.

I changed to Modus 120. Because they become light when cut to length I add 6 grams of lead tape at the bottom of the grip. Has virtually no effect on Swing weight but suits my swing better

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

What are the handicap recommendations for these JPX irons? Single digits for the 900 Tour I would guess?

I am a +3, and I'm playing the 900 Forged, so I may be a bit of an anomaly. I have a few reasons, but most of all I like the leading edge grind. I've played a grind like this for many years starting with the R9 B irons, and for whatever reason it just works. I normally take really small divots, if any, and for some reason that grind keeps me from going a hair too deep. For instance, the iBlades "stuck" on me a bit, whereas the 900's just glide along.

Also, I hit the ball very high so the "jacked" lofts of the Forged help me keep the ball down. I initially wanted to have the Tours bent stronger, but that would've messed up the bounce angles, so going with the Forged was a no-brainer in that regard.

But I think this shows the large range of people this will fit the Forged, and that really there is no handicap limit. I'd say they'll work for anyone looking for a fantastic looking and feeling golf club. Mizuno said this is the one club they'd make for all the world's golfers, and I think that's a very accurate assessment. I love them!

Just played my first round with the 900 Forged/Modus 105 combo...results are very encouraging. Hit some great shots and when flushed the ball just took off with this beautiful sound at impact. I would describe the feel of these as solid. The miss is definitely a low thin ball but i'm getting used to them. I also love the matte satin finish, shiny chrome finishes don't make sense to me any more since they just glare in the sun, these don't. Looking forward to getting these dialed in...staying in the bag.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Tested these for the first time yesterday and went back to the shop to order today. PX LZ 6.0's, the results were unbelievable, hit against my TMB's with Modus 120's was getting much tighter dispersion, knocked off some spin and a flatter flight and a few extra yards carry, all things i needed. Considered a combo set with the Tours but decided to stick with the Forged the whole way through. In the U.K. One retailer is doing double trade in value for old equipment, I am paying under 80 GBP for the new set, love it

Before purchasing my JPX 900 Forged, I tested extensively with multiple shafts and decided on C-Taper Lite Reg flex, hard stepped 1x. After playing muliple rounds, I'm disappointed in the feel compared to the demo iron with CT-L Reg flex no hard step. Does anyone have experience sending clubs back to Mizuno for club repair work? I'm considering sending them back for the shaft work, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg either. Any help will be appreciated.

I played 9 holes with the jpx 900 forged with Nippon SBO X shafts today and compared them to my 716 Ap2 with KBS Tour V 120 X shafts I figured that I would gain a little distance considering they are anywhere from 2 to 3 degrees stronger in loft. I assumed they would be similar in forgiveness and feel. I will oftentimes hit wedges into the hole, so I don't play the JPX 900 Forged irons every holes

The first shot of the day was a 5 iron off the tee, It went slightly longer than I would expect a normal 5 iron strike with my ap2, but it was a spot I have been in many times with the ap2. The next chance I had to use it was a par 3 into the wind. I made poor contact and ended up left of the green a few yards. Next shot with them was a downhill 155 (or 160 maybe) par 3. The green has a portion to the right that's perfect to roll up on. (I usually land it in the rough and let it bounce once and roll on) If I clubbed up I had a good chance to another level of the green, so I'd rather be short on a mishit. I hit it well and it bounced on just like I expected. Two holes later I hit them again, I hit a great shot from a sidehill lie in the fairway to about 12 feet. The green is unbelievably tricky, so I 2 putter. I was last able to use the iron on my last hole, a fairly long Par 5. I hit my drive and decided to use my usual layup club. I hit one with my JPX 900 Forged 6 iron, and one with my 716 AP2 6 iron. I hit both pretty good, they ended up exactly 100 yards out almost right next to each other. SImilar ball flight, feel, distance, etc, which surprised me since the JPX 900 were 3 degrees stronger lofted. I decided to do another test with my 9 iron. Once again, they results were almost identical. The 716 AP2 left me a shorter putt, but I would assume I'm more comfortable with the AP2 since I've been playing the AP2 for a while now. I was surprised that the ap2 went longer than the 900 forged on that shot with the 9.

I need ti continue to test the 900 Forged against my 716 AP2. I think the irons are very very similar. While I was hoping the 900 Forged would give me slightly more distance, I'm more concerned with accuracy and consistency. I need to test the 900 Forged out of the rough more, I was in the fairway most of the time for once!

I'm starting to wonder if I should have installed KBS Tour V 120 X or Nippon 120 X in the 900 Forged. But I thought the SPO was similar enough. I'm starting to worry that the SPO isn't a great fit like the others, but it could be a decent fit, I need more time with them.

I wouldn't read much into my mini 9 hole review. But I will come back and update. (though to be honest I'm seriously considering trading the 900 Forged for some 900 Tour or some 716 CB, I am a WRX member after all)

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

What are the highest launching iron shafts available one these? Project x zl, nippon modus 105?

For me the lz's were....but only by a bit. I personally liked the feel better in the lz's, so when I got my set I opted for the lz's in them; but I suggest you hit both as you may see a difference with your swing. Both are great!

I wanted to buy the recoil 95 stiff but by buddy said I can't buy graphite even though I hit it good on the range. Haha

Lol, r u his bioch? Seriously, why would you not buy the recoil if you hit it great. Haha...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I might try to run to the range and hit them with c tapers lite,lz, modus 105. Course it will all be by eye sight. Might throw in the recoil 95 as well. Played 36 tournament yesterday and my hands, wrist and forearms are sore today.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I played 9 holes with the jpx 900 forged with Nippon SBO X shafts today and compared them to my 716 Ap2 with KBS Tour V 120 X shafts I figured that I would gain a little distance considering they are anywhere from 2 to 3 degrees stronger in loft. I assumed they would be similar in forgiveness and feel. I will oftentimes hit wedges into the hole, so I don't play the JPX 900 Forged irons every holes

The first shot of the day was a 5 iron off the tee, It went slightly longer than I would expect a normal 5 iron strike with my ap2, but it was a spot I have been in many times with the ap2. The next chance I had to use it was a par 3 into the wind. I made poor contact and ended up left of the green a few yards. Next shot with them was a downhill 155 (or 160 maybe) par 3. The green has a portion to the right that's perfect to roll up on. (I usually land it in the rough and let it bounce once and roll on) If I clubbed up I had a good chance to another level of the green, so I'd rather be short on a mishit. I hit it well and it bounced on just like I expected. Two holes later I hit them again, I hit a great shot from a sidehill lie in the fairway to about 12 feet. The green is unbelievably tricky, so I 2 putter. I was last able to use the iron on my last hole, a fairly long Par 5. I hit my drive and decided to use my usual layup club. I hit one with my JPX 900 Forged 6 iron, and one with my 716 AP2 6 iron. I hit both pretty good, they ended up exactly 100 yards out almost right next to each other. SImilar ball flight, feel, distance, etc, which surprised me since the JPX 900 were 3 degrees stronger lofted. I decided to do another test with my 9 iron. Once again, they results were almost identical. The 716 AP2 left me a shorter putt, but I would assume I'm more comfortable with the AP2 since I've been playing the AP2 for a while now. I was surprised that the ap2 went longer than the 900 forged on that shot with the 9.

I need ti continue to test the 900 Forged against my 716 AP2. I think the irons are very very similar. While I was hoping the 900 Forged would give me slightly more distance, I'm more concerned with accuracy and consistency. I need to test the 900 Forged out of the rough more, I was in the fairway most of the time for once!

I'm starting to wonder if I should have installed KBS Tour V 120 X or Nippon 120 X in the 900 Forged. But I thought the SPO was similar enough. I'm starting to worry that the SPO isn't a great fit like the others, but it could be a decent fit, I need more time with them.

I wouldn't read much into my mini 9 hole review. But I will come back and update. (though to be honest I'm seriously considering trading the 900 Forged for some 900 Tour or some 716 CB, I am a WRX member after all)

Chris

The AP2s are prob1 possibly 2 degree weaker loft compared to the 900 forged. I remember when 714 AP2s came out I thought they were stronger lofts than standard. I could be wrong though.

What are the highest launching iron shafts available one these? Project x zl, nippon modus 105?

Highest launch would probably be one of the graphite shafts. For steel, kbs 90, c taper lite, Nippon 105 etc

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Chris

The AP2s are prob1 possibly 2 degree weaker loft compared to the 900 forged. I remember when 714 AP2s came out I thought they were stronger lofts than standard. I could be wrong though.

Looks like it's 2 Degree difference on the 9 and PW, and 3 degree difference on the 4 to 8 irons.

Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Chris

Looks like it's 2 Degree difference on the 9 and PW, and 3 degree difference on the 4 to 8 irons.

Yes I was mistaken just looked up basically the 714 AP2 3 is 900 Forged 4 iron all the way down through set. I looked up specs.

This video just came out yesterday...another review/comparison of the JPX900 forged.

He compared it to his current gamer Callaway XR Pro. The JPX900 launched 1 deg higher and had more spin....didn't mention data for apex but they looked about the same. They weren't as long as the XR, but were more consistent distances.

Sarcasm?

not at all. I hit the ball low already and don't have enough spin. Keep reading these are low launching / low spinning. I should stay away.

Did you happen to see the post I made above? Higher launching and more spin than his XR Pro.

Personally for me, compared to my 850C, the test club I had launched the same but had more spin when I compared them on my skytrak. Took my set out for the first time this past week and on the course the height was the same but I had less rollout on the greens....probably due to higher spin (which is what my skytrak showed).

I wouldn't just assume they are low launching....try out different shafts and see how they perform before writing them off.

I wanted to buy the recoil 95 stiff but by buddy said I can't buy graphite even though I hit it good on the range. Haha

Lol, r u his bioch? Seriously, why would you not buy the recoil if you hit it great. Haha...

I received delivery yesterday of my new 900F 4-PW, AW and S5 SW and LW all with Recoil 95 stiff shafts. They look really nice. I took the full set to the range today. First impressions were really good and I plan to take them out on the course tomorrow, I have used Callaway X14 with firm shafts for many years.

Personally for me, compared to my 850C, the test club I had launched the same but had more spin when I compared them on my skytrak. Took my set out for the first time this past week and on the course the height was the same but I had less rollout on the greens....probably due to higher spin (which is what my skytrak showed).

I wouldn't just assume they are low launching....try out different shafts and see how they perform before writing them off.

What kind of spin numbers are you getting for mid-irons? In the "mid handicapper" video linked earlier, Rob was spinning the JPX 900 forged 7-iron at about 4800. That's pretty low; I like to see about 7000 on my 7-iron (ideally, no roll out at all on greens!). Irons are all about accuracy, and the lower the spin, the more difficult it is to control distance.

I received delivery yesterday of my new 900F 4-PW, AW and S5 SW and LW all with Recoil 95 stiff shafts. They look really nice. I took the full set to the range today. First impressions were really good and I plan to take them out on the course tomorrow, I have used Callaway X14 with firm shafts for many years.

What's your driver swing speed.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I think the XP115 would be a good fit for me to try. A bit higher launching with higher spin but keeping a relatively heavy weight.

That is the shaft I have in mine and they work great for me. The monitor definitely showed I hit these the best. I hit them high and long. IMHO these are the best irons I have used. They probably will fit a huge range of swings.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I'm a 5 and just ordered 5,6,7 in 900 forged and 7,8,9,pw in the Tours (bent 1*weak). I basically configured them to the same specs as my former set of TM TPMBs. Having 2 7-irons will take some adjustment, but I'm excited for them to show up.

Full disclosure: I was fitted for 4-GW in the forged, but I couldn't get over the size of the forged in the scoring irons after coming from blades.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant