Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Well, I'm getting an old set of Mac MT Tour Forged shafted up bit-by-bit, and I am interested in a 3-PW set of Cally Prototypes (..R.. stamping, whatever that means) or a 3-PW set of Yonex TC forged blades. The Callys are super cheap, but some need reshafting. The Yonexes are good to go as they are.

There's also a 52* and 58* pair of A-Grind black wedges that I'm interested in, and a 54* and 60* pair of Kenmochi wedges that would go nicely with the Mac MTs, which have a 50* PW.

Get the Prototype's! You know you want to!

They are the most realistic option right now, as they are the cheapest. The heads are in pretty good condition, and so what I would probably do is pull the old, rusted shafts and put new ones in. The Yonexes are pretty tempting, though, but 3 times the price. However, I know that they have been sitting in the shop for about a year and a half now, so I reckon I can bargain them down a bit.

So gents and ladies, coming into Christmas time any plans to treat yourselves to any new or even old sets of blades???

Considering I added 3 sets of irons to my collection in 2016.................maybe ;).

I don't need 8-9 sets of irons.. But probably.

I'll actually probably get rid of some of my CB's and get another set of MB's. Kinda have a hankering for some Vega's.. Tough to find in LH though.

Every set of irons I currently own (in my signature) are "new" this year, and it doesn't even include a set of Miura TB's and a set of Cobra King Combo's (both of which were ho'ed away this year). It does feel good to have a set that's not in rotation though. They're stuck with me forever.

The MP33's are higher launching than the MP32's right? I have DG s300 shafts in the 33's, and I thought the ball flight was pretty high. Then I tested out my MP32's with PX 6.0 and man, talk about high ball flight. Makes the 33's seem much more normal. I know the S300's are supposed to be lower flight, but are PX high? It could be that I'm not used to the weight, because I have brought the flight down in my 33's significantly since I first used them. And I've heard that PX 6.0 is pretty stiff, but I have not found that to be the case. My original FCM 6.5 flighted shafts seem stiffer.

The MP33's are higher launching than the MP32's right? I have DG s300 shafts in the 33's, and I thought the ball flight was pretty high. Then I tested out my MP32's with PX 6.0 and man, talk about high ball flight. Makes the 33's seem much more normal. I know the S300's are supposed to be lower flight, but are PX high? It could be that I'm not used to the weight, because I have brought the flight down in my 33's significantly since I first used them. And I've heard that PX 6.0 is pretty stiff, but I have not found that to be the case. My original FCM 6.5 flighted shafts seem stiffer.

32's are higher launching than the 33's

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've found that PX is really high launching. That was the stock shaft in the original AP2s, and was a big part of the reason I didn't buy them (this was before I knew a lot about custom options). I was hitting absolute moon shots with those things. I think PX might work better for people who have a late release, and those types of people don't experience the super high flight that others do. Usually, people who play DG do not get along with PX

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I would love Santa to bring me some MP 33s or some raw blade goodness. I saw a set on ebay of MP 33s black oxide with KBS black shafts and black grips. OMG talk about BEAUTIFUL!! That reminds me I need to write my letter for the north pole. You think 2 day priority is enough time for him to get it....

Santa says don't write to him, write check instead.

ebay today, gone tomorrow, lifelong regret.

Speaking from experience and advice from large rotund white bearded one.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Seeing as I posed the question I should let you know what I am considering.

One part of me wants to try a brand new set of blades, so thinking maybe the new Callaway MB's that are rumoured to be on their way, also the new Taylormade MB's which again are still at this time just a rumour.

The other part of me is looking on the bay for a set of original Nike blades (possibly the Victory Red model as well).

Decisions, decisions.

Ha ha

Happy holidays everyone

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

I've found that PX is really high launching. That was the stock shaft in the original AP2s, and was a big part of the reason I didn't buy them (this was before I knew a lot about custom options). I was hitting absolute moon shots with those things. I think PX might work better for people who have a late release, and those types of people don't experience the super high flight that others do. Usually, people who play DG do not get along with PX

That's been my experience of PX, too. OK, so I'm comparing DGX100 to PX6.0, so they are not completely equivalent, but I was surprised by the height I was getting with the PXs, as I had heard a lot of people say they were low launch.

Seeing as I posed the question I should let you know what I am considering.

One part of me wants to try a brand new set of blades, so thinking maybe the new Callaway MB's that are rumoured to be on their way, also the new Taylormade MB's which again are still at this time just a rumour.

The other part of me is looking on the bay for a set of original Nike blades (possibly the Victory Red model as well).

Decisions, decisions.

Ha ha

Happy holidays everyone

Oh, yes to the Nike OG blades. They are also on my radar, but they will have to be an online auction, and thus harder to slip by the wife....

Happy Holidays friends!

Its been a while (a forced hiatus due to some infraction that even the mere questioning of resulted in a suspension). Have some new toys since i left....and am already extremely looking forward to next season (the snow is coming today here in colorado supposedly) but, it may b my last snow as the family is planning a move to LA in the near future...

Im a little worried about moving all my gear for two reasons A) my wife will be visually confronted with everything i have

And B) the terrible what if something happens

To the clubs

So, i went full circle and have a gorgeous set of mp 5s that i have been playing lights out with, amazing how the right shaft can change everything about a club.

I also acquired a new putter (2 actually, a byron morgan 007 and the wilson 8802 milled- seriously for the cost the wilson feels as good as any high end putter ive played and if the morgan wasnt responding to every cgallenge ive sent its way, wpuld be my gamer full time.

Next, Hogan TK15 wedge set...the feel us just....bladeworthy....i havent enjoyed a set of wedges that felt so right in a while and ive continued my pwrsonal trend of gavingva hogan in the back my entire life.

Lastly, and this is where im a looking for dome advice, but ive been hitting the 430 tp for a while, but i got a great deal on a m1 and a nike 440 flex...it took me a while to get dialed in on the 430 (it takes me longer to dial in a driver than all other clubs)...

Im really intent on one bag next year. The numbers were pretty similar, though the blasts withbthe m1 were considerably farther than the other 2, but less consistent overall. The 440 i havent gsmed yet, just ranged but im super impressed with it. I need to get rid of one, so im kinda in a - small problems / feel stupid saying its even a problem / got 3 great drivers cant believe im complaining - bind

Well, I'm getting an old set of Mac MT Tour Forged shafted up bit-by-bit, and I am interested in a 3-PW set of Cally Prototypes (..R.. stamping, whatever that means) or a 3-PW set of Yonex TC forged blades. The Callys are super cheap, but some need reshafting. The Yonexes are good to go as they are.

There's also a 52* and 58* pair of A-Grind black wedges that I'm interested in, and a 54* and 60* pair of Kenmochi wedges that would go nicely with the Mac MTs, which have a 50* PW.

Get the Prototype's! You know you want to!

They are the most realistic option right now, as they are the cheapest. The heads are in pretty good condition, and so what I would probably do is pull the old, rusted shafts and put new ones in. The Yonexes are pretty tempting, though, but 3 times the price. However, I know that they have been sitting in the shop for about a year and a half now, so I reckon I can bargain them down a bit.

Leave the rusted ones in, it helps with spin.....

Happy Holidays friends!

Its been a while (a forced hiatus due to some infraction that even the mere questioning of resulted in a suspension). Have some new toys since i left....and am already extremely looking forward to next season (the snow is coming today here in colorado supposedly) but, it may b my last snow as the family is planning a move to LA in the near future...

Im a little worried about moving all my gear for two reasons A) my wife will be visually confronted with everything i have

And B) the terrible what if something happens

To the clubs

So, i went full circle and have a gorgeous set of mp 5s that i have been playing lights out with, amazing how the right shaft can change everything about a club.

I also acquired a new putter (2 actually, a byron morgan 007 and the wilson 8802 milled- seriously for the cost the wilson feels as good as any high end putter ive played and if the morgan wasnt responding to every cgallenge ive sent its way, wpuld be my gamer full time.

Next, Hogan TK15 wedge set...the feel us just....bladeworthy....i havent enjoyed a set of wedges that felt so right in a while and ive continued my pwrsonal trend of gavingva hogan in the back my entire life.

Lastly, and this is where im a looking for dome advice, but ive been hitting the 430 tp for a while, but i got a great deal on a m1 and a nike 440 flex...it took me a while to get dialed in on the 430 (it takes me longer to dial in a driver than all other clubs)...

Im really intent on one bag next year. The numbers were pretty similar, though the blasts withbthe m1 were considerably farther than the other 2, but less consistent overall. The 440 i havent gsmed yet, just ranged but im super impressed with it. I need to get rid of one, so im kinda in a - small problems / feel stupid saying its even a problem / got 3 great drivers cant believe im complaining - bind

Welcome back !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Parental Advisory - explicit bladiness below

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Anyone have any reservations about carrying a hybrid and 4-PW blades? I feel like if I'm putting blades in the bag I owe it to myself to carry and play the at least the 3 iron and maybe the 2 as well - with the kind of mentality that if I'm on point enough to play the blades then the 2/3 iron should be no problem to hit. However the 3 hybrid sneaked back into the bag the tail end of the season and it was pretty useful to get me a long way down there on unreachable par fives from poor lies - a very welcome addition in fact. Just wondered if anyone else felt silly putting a hybrid in with a bag full of butter spreaders?

My MP4s came without a 3-iron and to get a matching one was cost prohibitive at the time so I bought a Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 3-hybrid which has been great although due to my naturally high ball flight, it does balloon occasionally. I do miss a 3-iron though. Recently been playing with my Mac Pro-Cs and the 3-iron is my favourite club so I've been researching the cost of getting an MP4 3-iron. They are half the price now (about £80), so on the Christmas list ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Anyone have any reservations about carrying a hybrid and 4-PW blades? I feel like if I'm putting blades in the bag I owe it to myself to carry and play the at least the 3 iron and maybe the 2 as well - with the kind of mentality that if I'm on point enough to play the blades then the 2/3 iron should be no problem to hit. However the 3 hybrid sneaked back into the bag the tail end of the season and it was pretty useful to get me a long way down there on unreachable par fives from poor lies - a very welcome addition in fact. Just wondered if anyone else felt silly putting a hybrid in with a bag full of butter spreaders?

Nothing wrong with that set up. In fact, I have one of my bags set that way with a Wishon hybrid and love it.

My upcoming 3i experiment notwithstanding, I don't see any reason to be ashamed about playing a hybrid in place of a 2 or 3 iron. There's a lot of people who don't have the swing speed to be able to hit long irons on a high enough trajectory to get the type of distance or stopping power that you need to make them effective. There's no point in carrying a 3 iron if you hit it the same distance as your 4 or 5 iron, and can't hold a green with it. Since I put blades in the bag, I've used a 5 wood, 23* hybrid, and 18 & 23 degree driving irons in the 2iron/3iron slots. I've been playing the driving irons pretty much exclusively the latter part of the year, mainly because I have less tendency to hook with them, and a little bit because I like the iron-like appearance a little better than the woods. My philosophy is, play what helps you play your best game.

My MP4s came without a 3-iron and to get a matching one was cost prohibitive at the time so I bought a Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 3-hybrid which has been great although due to my naturally high ball flight, it does balloon occasionally. I do miss a 3-iron though. Recently been playing with my Mac Pro-Cs and the 3-iron is my favourite club so I've been researching the cost of getting an MP4 3-iron. They are half the price now (about £80), so on the Christmas list ;-)

I like my MP-4 3i and it was for a short time the longest club in my bag when I was starting out. I think a hybrid is just as good for that slot, but my only complaint about the hybrid is that mine has really cut back on the long iron use. I either go for the hybrid or the mini if I am trying to be responsible and not just having a screw it use the 1 iron day.

I love my 8802 milled. I miss it when I borrow another putter. Longest so far has been a 27 footer, but I will eventually get to where I can sink a longer one...or play greens that can actually have a feasible chance at a longer putt being something other than a hippity hoppity game of grass roots chance. This putter really responds well to the V1 and the Tru soft. I had a white hot previously and don't miss it at all.

I stop at 4 iron, then 21* hybrid, 15* 3 wood then 9* driver....Like, I am not knocking down flags from 210-245 so I don't put a lot of thought into the top end of my bag aside from me personally sucking off the tee. I have the SS for lower irons, I hit my 4 210-215 and occasionally pop one, and my hybrid I have worked with a lot this summer getting comfy from 200-230 with choking down, 3/4 swings etc. and I like not needing to nut it to get in a spot to get down in 2 from, which is my goal 100% of the time from outside 200, the rare times I get in are great, but it is more important for me to not take 4 shots from there. I like my 4 in wind or if I just see it on the overlapping distances. Nutting my 4 feels amazing, missing it makes me feel like an word not allowed.....wait, that's all my clubs..........anyway, despite my brother ragging hard on my long iron game hard the other week, I never felt silly because I truly don't care and I literally play everything I want to for me and me only. My bag is me. It is all well used and every club serves a purpose for me trying to play good golf. I am a big boy, and I can take the gay jokes if I pull a hybrid on a long par 3, don't care, trying to hit a green/get down in 2 from wherever it lands. I can take the overpriced fancy putter jokes from some of my friends, dont care, I like putting/putters. I can read something from someone I don't know that is an internet low single say you are playing blades to look cool, but don't carry a 2-3 iron because you shouldn't play blades to begin with or need that "forgiveness" with a 3 iron why blah blah, don't care, in my real life It is hard to impress or look cool when you play by yourself 90% of the time and The group of me, Myself, and I that is enamored with my 4-pw, have been unaware that we were posing this whole time and continue to be blissfully ignorant to smart internet golfers.

Point is, if you are playing "butter spreaders" because you want to say you are or any superficial reason that isn't specific things you just like about traditional heads from your experience with them that you don't get from your experiences with cbs (See pages 1-298 of this thread for examples) then of course playing a hybrid with them is silly. If you are filling a bag with 14 clubs that get there because you believe in or trust them or at least are complacent with them to serve their purpose from your experience and with how you feel and use them being the criteria to get in the bag, then nothing in your bag can be considered silly, even if it is a passing fad/experiment, it is not silly to you at the time you are trying it.

Here is the simple physics of irons progression: The longer iron will be less lofted and also literally longer in physical length than the preceding one. All this does is make that iron hit the ball longer and also launch it at a little lower angle. The added length helped to increase the clubhead speed, and the stronger loft helped to lower the launch angle. Also the added physical length will exacerbate the golfer's own error in swinging the club since the error in the golfer's hand position will end up moving the clubhead out of position more (relatively speaking) with the longer club.

So regardless of SS, the golfer should simply expect his 3i to go longer than his 4i. It should also launch at a lower angle. The ball will also just have a little more run out on greens because of the lower ball flight. And the golfer should expect to mishit it a little more often. The key point to all this is that there is no magic or major change in performance going from the 3i from the 4i (or 4i from the 5i and so forth...). Everyone draws their own personal line as to when they end their irons at the top end and transition to either a hybrid or a wood. I think it depends on the point where a) the iron doesn't provide enough overall height and launch angle (for that golfer alone) and/or b) it doesn't provide enough consistency so the golfer does not trust using it.

As to the height issue, I would challenge the notion that a slow SS player cannot get enough 3i elevation, based on personal experience and also the physics. All other things equal, a higher SS player will hit the ball with the same exact blade 3i longer and higher, but...the overall arc shape of the ball flight is going to be the same. The only reason the ball goes higher is simply because it came off the face faster with the higher SS golfer, so yes it will travel a little farther before gravity pulls it down. But again this doesn't mean the overall ball flight arc is any different than a slow SS golfer's. True, the higher SS player will also put more spin on the ball (all other things equal) with a 3i because the higher clubhead speed compresses the ball more. And this in turn will add a little more dynamic loft and also give more checkspin on the green, but honestly I don't see it an issue with a slower SS. As a 90 mph driver SS player, I will play a 3i and although it is has a lower ball flight than my 4i, it still will stop on a green. I play for run out for sure but I never had an issue just playing for landing it right at the front of a green (180 yards for me) and then allowing anywhere from 12 to 25 feet of run out.

All that said, I do also play a 7w but I can't say it always saves me strokes on the course compared to my 3i. I would say course conditions and weather and personal whim defines when I use one over the other. I call my 7w my "long wedge" because it plays like one to me. It is stupid easy to hit and it goes 185 to 195 and the ball drops like a sack of potatoes. OTOH, my 3i is better for working the ball and hitting very precise shots. True, mishits don't go as far as compared to 7w, but it is easier to play shots from out of the rough and also hit low shots from out of the trees. So overall I am always conflicted between using a 3i or 7w. I love my BB 3i, so it is always in my gamer bag, but in my Retro TB bag I play my reliable R5 Dual 7w. My Retro TB 3i has harsher feedback than my BB 3i, so in that bag I like my R5 Dual.

By the way, Happy Holidays, Blade users. Looks like we will get to 300 pages before St. Nick's Day.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

No shame in not carrying a 3 iron.

In Ye Olde Days, players generally carried 3-PW, with a wood around 22°. It was said only some players carried a 2 iron, and 1 irons were something else entirely; the stuff of legend.

With modern blades, those lofts/clubs are now 4-GW, with a 20° to 22° wood or hybrid. And the club only some players carry is now called a 3 iron.

It's the same general range of lofts as it was 30+ years ago. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

No shame in not carrying a 3 iron.

In Ye Olde Days, players generally carried 3-PW, with a wood around 22°. It was said only some players carried a 2 iron, and 1 irons were something else entirely; the stuff of legend.

With modern blades, those lofts/clubs are now 4-GW, with a 20° to 22° wood or hybrid. And the club only some players carry is now called a 3 iron.

It's the same general range of lofts as it was 30+ years ago. :)

The above having been said, I do rather like carrying 1 iron through SW. I'm funny that way.

Another random thought...

One reason for the need for hybrids or higher lofted woods for some players, the balls of today spin less than the balls of even 20 years ago. Less spin, less lift keeping ball in the air, requiring the ability to hit the ball higher to optimize flight.

I only play a 3 iron with my mp5s and that is a recent thing. The last one i played was my 690.mb, apex 99, and cobra pro mbs....a while back..since then i have used an sldr hybrid which also took the place of my woods

Only posers slapping it around to the tune of another 95 care about protecting some non-existent ethos about a style of iron head.

Are you enjoying yourself? Yes? Well then whatever you are doing is the way to go! :)

Always envious of golfers like yourself and Mahonie, who can take a simple drive to one of many many class links or heathland courses and tee it up, where the rest of us need to cross an ocean.

Happy Holidays!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.