How adjustable drivers actually work. Everyone should be required to watch this to be allowed to pos

Albatross85

[quote name='Albatross85' timestamp='1410973470' post='10133105']
[media=]http://youtu.be/aj5KOk2oXU0[/media]
[/quote]

I have to say, A good friend just purchased a complete set of Wishon clubs fro 2 Drivers, set of irons, and 3 wedges and they are impeccable. I actually hit his 8X SVS driver and it is every bit as long as my current driver. The wedges are sublime as well. I will be buying my next set of clubs from Wishon Golf.

After watching this video I actually learned I'm actually playing a SLDR at 10.5 degree loft but to hit it like I want I'm probably opening the face a good 2 or 3 degrees. I think after watching this video I'm probably playing the loft after adjusting the face angle around 12 or 13.

When I did the traditional hosel adjustment and had it at 11.5 or 12 the face was so closed I hit it a lot left. By manipulating the face angle at 10.5 I do carry about 260-270 when hit in the center.

Thanks for the great video and I will be visiting your site and fitters in the future as I had always soled the club for 30+ years and was an above avg driver in accuracy and distance.

Great Clubs all they way around but more importantly the Club should be built and never touched after fitting. Great Video.

Tom,
I am going to make a statement that may make things a little easier to understand. Golfer takes his stance with a driver and soles his club. His tee is nailed in the ground, and his feet and hands are locked into a position that will not allow for changes to hand, feet, or ball position. Now adjust the loft up on a driver and you will notice that the club WILL NOT be able to be soled flat on the ground. It MUST lean back to the trailing edge to fit in the bound hands of the golfer at that ball position.

[quote name='Titlemade' timestamp='1426802074' post='11175637']
Tom,
I am going to make a statement that may make things a little easier to understand. Golfer takes his stance with a driver and soles his club. His tee is nailed in the ground, and his feet and hands are locked into a position that will not allow for changes to hand, feet, or ball position. Now adjust the loft up on a driver and you will notice that the club WILL NOT be able to be soled flat on the ground. It MUST lean back to the trailing edge to fit in the bound hands of the golfer at that ball position.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have gone there. You're going to get a very long explanation about how you're wrong...

It's not that it's wrong, it's just that it has no point to it. When the loft is changed through a hossel adjustment the face angle does change, that's all that statement is saying. If a player tries to sole AND square a club with the open or closed face angle, it wont sit level by definition. That's not a contradiction to anything Tom has said. The point being missed is that face orientation at contact is what is really important, not face orientation at set-up. Squaring the face at set-up does not, by any means, ensure a square face at contact. Even at impact, it's not commonly desirable to have the face square to the original target line. Face orientation relative to the path (not target line) is what dictates ball flight.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1410988298' post='10135027']
[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1410985161' post='10134441']
So let me know if I got this straight.

[u]Adjustable driver:[/u]
Soled to a 0* square position every time = adjustment changes the loft up or down

Soled as it lays, any adjustment = no effect on loft but changes face angle
[/quote]

Absolutely correct, but in both cases the lie angle does also change with the change in the hosel device for any of the adj hosel drivers.
[/quote]

So if all I want is an open face I'm good?

[quote name='HangOnHook' timestamp='1427760169' post='11248755']
[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1410988298' post='10135027']
[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1410985161' post='10134441']
So let me know if I got this straight.

[u]Adjustable driver:[/u]
Soled to a 0* square position every time = adjustment changes the loft up or down

Soled as it lays, any adjustment = no effect on loft but changes face angle
[/quote]

Absolutely correct, but in both cases the lie angle does also change with the change in the hosel device for any of the adj hosel drivers.
[/quote]

So if all I want is an open face I'm good?
[/quote]

Yes, as long as the loft that comes with that open face in the soled position is right for your swing speed + angle of attack to get you into the best launch angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy reading Tom's stuff, but he lost me forever with the post he made linked here and quoted below in a discussion about adjustable hosels: http://www.golfwrx.c...90#entry6813861

Let me copy and paste unedited an email I got this week. . . . .

Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:00 PM

To: Tom Wishon

Subject: Re: ADj Drivers

The adj models used on tour have no adjustment. The collar looks similar but only for show. The public only looks at the heads. Use these comments anyway you choose. I'm betting I see more tour heads than most of your club makers so I know this is a fact.

Dan Harms

Tour Professional

Which is absolute BS. The bottom line is, his numbers may be technically correct, under the conditions of his measurements, but those measurements don't necessarily correspond to how the clubs are actually used. He clearly has an ax to grind against the OEM's in favor of promoting his stuff, and it colors his posting here.

Titleist had/has a version of the SureFit settings guide for the 910 series clubs that had an additional column to the right showing the face angle change for each setting. So they are not hiding anything about how their adjustable drivers work. Here's an example from this site.

post-199863-0-61642400-1362854296.jpg

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• 2 weeks later...

interesting video. has me re thinking some things.

• Titleist TSR2 9* AD-VF 6x
  • Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Red 7x
  • Titleist T200 3-5 Modus 105T X
  • Titleist 620MB 6-9  Modus 105T X
  • Titleist Vokey- Sm9 Raw 46*/10 50*/12 54*/12  58*/08 DG TI 400
  • Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6.5

What's kind of disappointing is that Tom isn't really correct on the topic of adjustable hosel drivers, and I can easily explain why from my experience with them.

Adjustable hosel drivers are bored like any other driver, except the attachment plug that fits in the bore isn't parallel to the shaft that it holds. If the attachment plug WAS parallel, it wouldn't matter what way you inserted the shaft into the club, the position of it in 3D space would be exactly the same (barring engineering tolerances, but I digress).

The minute angle of the shaft acceptance adapter is what actually changes the "loft" and "face angle". Traditionally clubs are measured and lofted from the club-soled position, with the new shaft adapters, they are measured from the shaft neutral position (shaft in the same position in 3d space). What Tom is probably upset about is that manufacturers are doing probably the more "right" way of measuring clubs by measuring them from the player's perspective of holding the club, and not necessarily when the club has been soled perspective.

To me, that makes more sense from a fitting point of view, because if you swing consistently, the golf shaft is going to be roughly in the same place during the swing (assuming a perfectly repeatable swing), all that's changed with the adjustable hosel is that the head when coming into the striking zone is now rotated 3D wise into a new position.

Any clubfitter worth their salt could easily figure this out, perhaps this is the new paradigm club fitters need with regards to fitting. Static lie, loft, and face angle are standards from the "Club is in THIS position on the ground" fit, not the "Club is in THE HANDS of the player" position. That has always been, and will always be the demon of club fitting, combined with the fact that not every golfer sets up the same exact way every single time. Which kind of defeats the purpose of super precision club fitting anyways: Static measurements are no match for dynamic players, and should be adjusted accordingly.

If you guys need me to draw a picture to explain the phenomena, I am more than willing to.

In my opinion, what you should do with an adjustable hosel club is the following: Rotate the shaft to where the club is in the most preferred setup look when you adress the ball (considering not everyone places their hands in the same spot when setting up for a tee shot), and then get the shaft regripped with the grip of your choice that's the most comfortable to you.

Quick and dirty picture explaining the phenomena.

Short and easy: Does it work? If you swing consistently and your hands are in the same position in the downswing, the driver head is now attached with a slightly different angle to the shaft, thus changing its pitch, yaw, and roll.

Is it worth getting? If you're not a consistent swinger, probably not. HOWEVER, it's very nice to have a club that you can change golf shafts quickly with, plus minute changes in clubhead attachment angles can give you a club that, when soled, is comfortable for you to address.

Either way it doesn't matter, I'm not sure why people get upset about adjustable drivers when they can't even consistently swing at the golf ball. What the club fitting and equipment "Gurus" seem to always be missing is that their customers/pupils would benefit more from an understanding of how to swing a darn golf club.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Leedle Leedle Leedle Lee' timestamp='1429880437' post='11431971']
What's kind of disappointing is that Tom isn't really correct on the topic of adjustable hosel drivers, and I can easily explain why from my experience with them.

Adjustable hosel drivers are bored like any other driver, except the attachment plug that fits in the bore isn't parallel to the shaft that it holds. If the attachment plug WAS parallel, it wouldn't matter what way you inserted the shaft into the club, the position of it in 3D space would be exactly the same (barring engineering tolerances, but I digress).

The minute angle of the shaft acceptance adapter is what actually changes the "loft" and "face angle". Traditionally clubs are measured and lofted from the club-soled position, with the new shaft adapters, they are measured from the shaft neutral position (shaft in the same position in 3d space). What Tom is probably upset about is that manufacturers are doing probably the more "right" way of measuring clubs by measuring them from the player's perspective of holding the club, and not necessarily when the club has been soled perspective.

To me, that makes more sense from a fitting point of view, because if you swing consistently, the golf shaft is going to be roughly in the same place during the swing (assuming a perfectly repeatable swing), all that's changed with the adjustable hosel is that the head when coming into the striking zone is now rotated 3D wise into a new position.

Any clubfitter worth their salt could easily figure this out, perhaps this is the new paradigm club fitters need with regards to fitting. Static lie, loft, and face angle are standards from the "Club is in THIS position on the ground" fit, not the "Club is in THE HANDS of the player" position. That has always been, and will always be the demon of club fitting, combined with the fact that not every golfer sets up the same exact way every single time. Which kind of defeats the purpose of super precision club fitting anyways: Static measurements are no match for dynamic players, and should be adjusted accordingly.

If you guys need me to draw a picture to explain the phenomena, I am more than willing to.

In my opinion, what you should do with an adjustable hosel club is the following: Rotate the shaft to where the club is in the most preferred setup look when you adress the ball (considering not everyone places their hands in the same spot when setting up for a tee shot), and then get the shaft regripped with the grip of your choice that's the most comfortable to you.
[/quote]

I thought it was me, but I was glad to see your post. All this debate about club head static measurements seems silly relative to the dynamic head position at impact which is all relative to the shaft position at impact when you can change the angles of attachment. I don't "sole" my driver, and could care less what any measurement on that attached head itself is. I care what launch conditions that head imparts at the time of impact, which is based upon the heads relative position to the shaft I'm holding when adjustable attachment devices are used.

This seems like a huge discussion about how important it is to accurately measure a relatively unimportant thing. if you were holding the shaft in an identical neutral position and adjusting the adjustable hozels and THEN tell me you see no change in the absolute loft or lie or face, then this would be more interesting. But that's the point, the face IS changing relative to the shaft.

That man knows his golf clubs! I like having a set of his clubs in his bag because I feel he doesn't just throw clubs on the market with gimmics to sell like most big companies. Only releases something new when it's actually new. Not just a different color.

TM SIM 10.5 - LA Golf A Series 60

TM SIM Ti 15 - LA Golf A Series 70

Cally OG Apex UW 19 - Smoke Black 80

Cobra One 4 Utility + Forged 6-GW - TT 120 S400

Edison 52, 56 & 60 - TT 120 X100

Odyssey Versa One

• 2 weeks later...

I'm impressed with guys like Tom Wishon. Wish I could understand this. The only things I get out of it. Don't buy the hype on adjustable drivers and me a dumb a$$.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

It seems to me that back in the nineties, drivers were sold in 1 degree open or closed or square when ordering. Thought I got a Cleveland TA driver 1 degree open. Dreaming?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cdodom91' timestamp='1435258984' post='11834278']
I thought this would be a good place to ask the question but would putting equal weight in the heal and toe of my Big Bertha Alpha make the driver more forgiving?
[/quote]
Equal weight means little. If you are putting more weight, theoretically yes. How much for you to see a change in ball flight? Probably more weight than you want.
Tooele! Yeah.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sevenputts' timestamp='1435726469' post='11867330']
Fixed hosels being bent are the same thing as an adjustable hosel being adjusted. Both " methods " are effectively changing the angle of the shaft. Some adjustable drivers actually have the advantage because you have an adjustable sole plate. I don't know of a fixed hosel driver with an adjustable sole plate.
[/quote]

The adjustable sole plate is the one I never got and that I have come to believe is undoubtedly marketing bunk. Even it's primary(only?) proponent, TM, no longer uses it. Please explain to me how the adjustable sole plate is an advantage.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[quote name='Leedle Leedle Leedle Lee' timestamp='1430104893' post='11448693']
Quick and dirty picture explaining the phenomena.

Short and easy: Does it work? If you swing consistently and your hands are in the same position in the downswing, the driver head is now attached with a slightly different angle to the shaft, thus changing its pitch, yaw, and roll.

Is it worth getting? If you're not a consistent swinger, probably not. HOWEVER, it's very nice to have a club that you can change golf shafts quickly with, plus minute changes in clubhead attachment angles can give you a club that, when soled, is comfortable for you to address.

Either way it doesn't matter, I'm not sure why people get upset about adjustable drivers when they can't even consistently swing at the golf ball. What the club fitting and equipment "Gurus" seem to always be missing is that their customers/pupils would benefit more from an understanding of how to swing a darn golf club.
[/quote]
How is this not [u]exactly[/u] what Tom was describing in his video? Semantics? I mean really, all you did was use different words to describe the same thing.

It's not a secret that the hosel is bored at an angle and that changing that angle will change the head-shaft orientation. I'm glad you understand how this works, but it's not rocket science. Get over yourself.

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1436460991' post='11917298']
Fixed hosels being bent are the same thing as an adjustable hosel being adjusted. Both " methods " are effectively changing the angle of the shaft. Some adjustable drivers actually have the advantage because you have an adjustable sole plate. I don't know of a fixed hosel driver with an adjustable sole plate.
[/quote]

The adjustable sole plate is the one I never got and that I have come to believe is undoubtedly marketing bunk. Even it's primary(only?) proponent, TM, no longer uses it. Please explain to me how the adjustable sole plate is an advantage.
[/quote]

It changes the FA, OF THE CLUB, when the club is soled. How is that not evident? If the plate is extended out of it's recessed area, it will close the face when the club is rested on the ground. If the plate is lowered into the recessed area, it will open the face when the club is resting on the ground.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how clear it is explained, people will continue to not understand, not believe and not care.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1436460991' post='11917298']
[/quote]

[/quote]

if you have put your hands on driver w/ adjustable sole plate (r11s) - and changed the settings (yourself) you would understand the difference at address (when resting on the ground)

advantage? more adjustability - primarily visual
cant say the ball goes further - but if YOU make better contact (for whatever reason) some may consider it an advantage (if only mental/confidence)

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I honestly still don't for the life of me care how the loft when resting on the ground looks.

I am not in contact with the ground when I hit a ball.

I am trying to deliver the club as close to square as possible.

I originally hit my driver too high and turned it down one degree and now I hit it lower.

It's all individual to you swing not the ground.