2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wife is jealous of golf

Tanner25

In my case, it also ended in divorce. She filed, not me. Other than 2 kids, we did not have a lot that had to be divided and I knew there was no way I could get custody of the kids. Back then, they were almost always given to the mother regardless of the situation. So, I did not fight it. Was sitting in front of her lawyer discussing the property settlement and I will never forget her lawyers comments to her...."Mrs Kxxxxxxx, have the 2 of you ever thought about going to counseling instead of getting a divorce?" Her reply..."Well the counselor would have to go to the golf course to hold a session with him!". And with that...we were pretty much done (other than the judge actually issuing the divorce decree).
I played way less golf back then than I do now. She was jealous of anything I did that did not include her. But then there were so many things that she did not want to do.
I had my wedding ring turned into a ball marker.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1411241034' post='10153573']
if your wife doesn't have a hobby and you do, you are screwed, it's usually that simple...

every single guy i know who either plays golf , or basketball, or whatever, and their wife/girlfriend just stays at home....eventually she nags at them to quit their hobbies and stay home with her more. My friend's ex used to be the worst, every time he'd play she'd text him 20 times "when will you be home " etc etc
[/quote]

This x100.

If that's your wife's personality then if she wasnt jealous of your golf habit it would be something else. Chances are pretty good you wouldn't just come home and sit in a chair and stare at the wall all day. So if it wasnt golf she would be jealous of your - motorcycle, shooting, basketball, bike riding, poker with your boys - insert other time sucking habit here.

For me it was pretty simple, I went out of my way to find someone that loved golf as much as I did. Since I work earlier hours I still get time to go to the club by myself and play but whenever we plan long trips together its awesome to know that she is looking at golf resorts first. In fact, we got married off the 18th green at Kiawah.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1411482396' post='10168609']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1411241034' post='10153573']
if your wife doesn't have a hobby and you do, you are screwed, it's usually that simple...

every single guy i know who either plays golf , or basketball, or whatever, and their wife/girlfriend just stays at home....eventually she nags at them to quit their hobbies and stay home with her more. My friend's ex used to be the worst, every time he'd play she'd text him 20 times "when will you be home " etc etc
[/quote]

This x100.

If that's your wife's personality then if she wasnt jealous of your golf habit it would be something else. Chances are pretty good you wouldn't just come home and sit in a chair and stare at the wall all day. So if it wasnt golf she would be jealous of your - motorcycle, shooting, basketball, bike riding, poker with your boys - insert other time sucking habit here.

For me it was pretty simple, I went out of my way to find someone that loved golf as much as I did. Since I work earlier hours I still get time to go to the club by myself and play but [b]whenever we plan long trips together its awesome to know that she is looking at golf resorts first[/b]. In fact, we got married off the 18th green at Kiawah.
[/quote]

I am officially jealous.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

I must be lucky, I've never once gotten grief about golfing regardless of how much or how little I do it in a week. I think it helps that she has hobbies and we also make sure we have plenty of activities that we do together to continue to grow our connection.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

My wife and I were both collegiate golfers and love the game. We play a lot of golf when we first met and were married. We played some together and she had her group of ladies and I had my group of guys. Now that we have a two year old neither of us play nearly as much golf as we used to and she doesn't hardly play at all. I know she will come back around to it when the time is right and she doesn't have a problem with me playing whenever I ask. I don't ever feel like I have to have her "premission" but do it out of respect. We have always had good communication and to me that is the key to every part of a relationship, not just how much golf you play.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Havent read everything here...I consider myself lucky. Wife has no issue with me playing 99/100 times. The one time she objects - I know better not to push it. ;)

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1411497646' post='10170165']
What we really need to know in order to give OP proper advice is ..... what does the wife in question look like?

Makes a big difference. If I were Jason Duffner, I'd never play again till Amanda hit 40. With my ex, I'd be booking tee times 3 weeks in advance.
[/quote]Here's a news flash for ya......Amanda will probably still look great at 40, maybe even better than now.

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1411499080' post='10170319']
[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1411497646' post='10170165']
What we really need to know in order to give OP proper advice is ..... what does the wife in question look like?

Makes a big difference. If I were Jason Duffner, I'd never play again till Amanda hit 40. With my ex, I'd be booking tee times 3 weeks in advance.
[/quote]Here's a news flash for ya......Amanda will probably still look great at 40, maybe even better than now.
[/quote]

Haha, good one!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1411218328' post='10152335']Anyone have a wife that is jealous of your golf games? She says, that's all I think about, playing, reading and practicing golf. She is really upset. What do you guys do or say in this situation?

Tanner[/quote]
Honestly can't answer that bc my wife basically kicks me out on Sunday's. She has her side business that she makes crafts and jewelry for and I have mine aka collecting bets on the 18th green. I agree with an earlier post that everyone should have their own hobbies and maintain them in a marriage. I think it helps keep you sane and gives you that out for a while.

If your wife has her own hobby and the two of you make "we" time, then you are golden.

If your wife has no hobby of her own and depends on "we" time to keep her busy and entertained then you are screwed. It wouldn't matter if you played golf or bingo, she will resent your time away.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Reading this thread reminds me how lucky I am. My wife is very supportive of my play. She has surprised me with putters, clubs, clothes, balls and other golf-related gifts, paid my membership dues for me if I was out of town, will sometimes stop by the course and watch me finish the last hole with a cheer or a jeer depending on whether or not I make the putt and encourages me after a bad round/score.

I play early each weekend day and any other time I can get a break to play, so I have the remainder of the day available to her. I generally take her out to lunch (or dinner if playing later) after each round, and she typically asks me about how I played. It is never a hassle, argument or hurt feelings. We support one another's interests.

What Is and What Should Never Be

[quote name='putts4bogey' timestamp='1411521776' post='10172253']
Reading this thread reminds me how lucky I am. My wife is very supportive of my play. She has surprised me with putters, clubs, clothes, balls and other golf-related gifts, paid my membership dues for me if I was out of town, will sometimes stop by the course and watch me finish the last hole with a cheer or a jeer depending on whether or not I make the putt and encourages me after a bad round/score.

I play early each weekend day and any other time I can get a break to play, so I have the remainder of the day available to her. I generally take her out to lunch (or dinner if playing later) after each round, and she typically asks me about how I played. It is never a hassle, argument or hurt feelings. We support one another's interests.
[/quote]

That's really cool. My wife is also ok with golf since it's my only outlet and I find that one weekend day for golf and one for family each week is good balance. Then usually a weekday afternoon for a round.

I agree with previous posters who have suggested that women look at golf as you giving your attention to something else and they get jealous. The answer is to help them find hobbies but that can be challenging especially when kids come into the equation. I've found that there are little things you can do during the week to show that you care and that you're providing attention. Even if you think you're doing that, they don't always see it that way. Be verbose about it.

Chalk up another failed marriage due to golf. divorced in 2011 after 2 years. There are a considerable about of other factors such as her being a whore. I think she just used "you golf too much and put golf before me" as an excuse so she could justify what/who she was doing. Either way... when I look back I am happy it ended. That crap was awful. I was actually miserable. I am now happier than I ever have been. The only time my future wife has an issue with me golfing is when it involves more than a few beers which is not that often. Other than that, she usually goes shopping or to her friends house... which usually involves a shopping trip. I'm just happy we have separate bank accounts!

[quote name='hammy83' timestamp='1411559906' post='10174043']
Chalk up another failed marriage due to golf. divorced in 2011 after 2 years. There are a considerable about of other factors such as her being a whore. I think she just used "you golf too much and put golf before me" as an excuse so she could justify what/who she was doing. Either way... when I look back I am happy it ended. That crap was awful. I was actually miserable. I am now happier than I ever have been. The only time my future wife has an issue with me golfing is when it involves more than a few beers which is not that often. Other than that, she usually goes shopping or to her friends house... which usually involves a shopping trip. [b] I'm just happy we have separate bank accounts![/b]
[/quote]

I have found this makes things a whole lot easier. For me it was a condition I insisted on before we tied the knot.

We have our account for bills and savings. I have my own account and she has hers. I never ask her about hers and she doesn't ask about mine.

I think its important to have your own money.

PXG Bat Attack H

I'm just happy we have separate bank accounts!
[/quote]
My wife and I do as well. We have one joint account for joint bills, but the rest goes into separate accounts. As I said earlier, 15 years of marriage and not one argument about money.

Another key to a happy marriage is two large screen TV's in separate rooms. Not that the second TV gets used a lot, but it's nice to know it's there.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1411561492' post='10174123']
I'm just happy we have separate bank accounts!
[/quote]
My wife and I do as well. We have one joint account for joint bills, but the rest goes into separate accounts. As I said earlier, 15 years of marriage and not one argument about money.

[b]Another key to a happy marriage is two large screen TV's in separate rooms. Not that the second TV gets used a lot, but it's nice to know it's there.[/b]
[/quote]

Yuuup!!

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1411365656' post='10160761']
I envy you guys who have carved out a place for golf in your relationships. I tried with my ex, but there was never a chance. And like others have said, it wasn't "golf" per se, it could have been any hobby, pasttime or outside interest. My ex simply wasn't going to stand for me having one, it was (and still is) her nature. But she's somebody else's domineering headache now.

[/quote]

I would say this mentality is the most common among wives who despise golf. They almost always view their husband golfing, not as time he enjoys golfing, but time he'd rather spend away from the family. My wife used to have this mentality that everytime I wanted to golf, I should have been going through some ranking of other things I could/should be doing at the time - doing something with the family, workign on things around the house, etc. Of course golf would never be at the top of the list of things I SHOULD be doing and my response has always been "Sorry, I have a hobby I'm not willing to give up."

At the same time, every time she brings up something she wants to do with friends, etc. I enthusiastically support it - go out, have fun, etc. even to the point that I encouraged her and another friend to book a trip to Europe for a week to visit a friend who is living there for a couple years.

Relationships are a lot more healthy when each person has something else to do besides focus on the relationship 24/7.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1411560969' post='10174095']
Chalk up another failed marriage due to golf. divorced in 2011 after 2 years. There are a considerable about of other factors such as her being a whore. I think she just used "you golf too much and put golf before me" as an excuse so she could justify what/who she was doing. Either way... when I look back I am happy it ended. That crap was awful. I was actually miserable. I am now happier than I ever have been. The only time my future wife has an issue with me golfing is when it involves more than a few beers which is not that often. Other than that, she usually goes shopping or to her friends house... which usually involves a shopping trip. [b] I'm just happy we have separate bank accounts![/b]
[/quote]

I have found this makes things a whole lot easier. For me it was a condition I insisted on before we tied the knot.

We have our account for bills and savings. I have my own account and she has hers. I never ask her about hers and she doesn't ask about mine.

I think its important to have your own money.
[/quote]

My wife and I also have separate bank accounts and she insisted on it from the get go. She does marriage counselling as part of her profession ans says money issues cause way more break ups than infidelity.

To the OP I think there are issues going on that you should pay attention to. If you are as involved with golf as your post seems to suggest it might be wise to find some balance.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Mine was jealous years ago but she also had a right to be when our kids were babies. Basically leaving her home to do all kinds of baby things while I go play golf all the time is not a good thing and I agree.

My kids are now 9 and 6 and she asks me when I am going golfing and even helps me find tee-times and new courses to try out within a 3 or 4 hour drive. In fact, I am heading to Seguin Valley tomorrow, i have never heard of the course but she found it for me!

My wife doesn't have a hobby except maybe Zumba, she goes every Tuesday and Thursday night for 2 hours and I paid for it for her. She is genuinely happy that I have something I enjoy.

Also, what i find helps a lot is I play golf early morning. 9 times out of 10 when I get home from golf, everyone is still in weekend mode in their PJ's! It leaves the entire day left to spend time with my wife and kids, the only thing I missed during my round is super early morning cartoons (which I love as well!)

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='RickKimbrell' timestamp='1411477096' post='10168065']
In my case, it also ended in divorce. She filed, not me. Other than 2 kids, we did not have a lot that had to be divided and I knew there was no way I could get custody of the kids. Back then, they were almost always given to the mother regardless of the situation. So, I did not fight it. Was sitting in front of her lawyer discussing the property settlement and I will never forget her lawyers comments to her...."Mrs Kxxxxxxx, have the 2 of you ever thought about going to counseling instead of getting a divorce?" Her reply..."Well the counselor would have to go to the golf course to hold a session with him!". And with that...we were pretty much done (other than the judge actually issuing the divorce decree).
I played way less golf back then than I do now. She was jealous of anything I did that did not include her. But then there were so many things that she did not want to do.
I had my wedding ring turned into a ball marker.
[/quote]

Wedding ring turned into a ball marker!!! oddly, this is the best idea ever. It's unfortunate it came to that but if life gives you lemons, make a pie!

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

While I am not married, I am in a long term relationship and marriage is not far off. I travel extensively for work and I play golf almost everyday that I am home, weather permitting. My girlfriend has no problem at all with it. She has even taken up the game. She is very competitive and doesn't like it that she can't beat me. lol I'm a 4 hdcp and she's been playing for a year. She was excited to join a country club, so she would be able to utilize the amenities. If anything, golf has improved our relationship. She enjoys when I go play because it gives her time to go shopping, read, clean, tan, etc.

Wife was jealous of golf and how golf is one of those strong bonds between me and my sons. That was up until this summer. I guess golf is one of those things she never took seriously and didn't think would take the boys anywhere in life. When Stephen finished second in the Drive, Chip and Putt qualifier, all the sudden she realized that he was really good at it. She made sure he had the professional look on the course with coordinated outfits. She actually told me to get him lessons and play with him when I could. It was a complete turnaround.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

When I was married and played baseball for a living, my first wife after a time started complaining about all the time I spent on baseball. "Do you have to practice your swing at home?", "Do you have to be constantly watching video of baseball?" and the list of the things she complained about went on and on. Needless to say, that marriage was doomed. Thinking on it over the years, it comes down to the fact some women are high maintenance in that they want all your attention and expect you to entertain them. Anything that they perceive takes away your attention from them then must be done away with and they do that by removing you from it. It is all about power and control if you think about it. I do hope you can work this out but it may not. In my case, I was not going to stop being me. She knew what I was about before we got married and then set out to change me after. That doesn't fly.