Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I started reading page 1 of this thread and thought I'd catch up before joining in... then I saw that there are nearly 700 pages! Damn, I thought the ASI thread was intimidating back reading! Anyway, I thought I'd just jump in here instead because I love blades so much.

I've hit plenty of CB that I've also enjoyed, but rolling up to the ball, deciding on a club and then turning to look at the jaw aching beauty of a set of good blades makes me feel like I'm going to smoke the ball. That's why I always end up going back to a set (currently Hogan '99 Apex) and play my best golf with them.

I'm glad that this thread has so much love and so do blades from all ages.

P.S. If there's anyone in here good enough to get the best from a set of Hogan Power Thrusts I bow my head to you!

Mail days are fun

115948169-292659241987892-3455378841887095198-n.jpg

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I know exactly where you are coming from there. I had gotten the same way with the old Pro Pel shafts in some of my Macs. Then I semi retired got my butt out of the truck and was playing at least 18 a day 5 days a week and the 2 days I worked I was playing 9 after work. I had gotten into decent "golf shape" and was back to hitting my Mac FC-4000s with Pro Pel #2 shafts with no effort or any strain. Had went back to hitting stiff shafted persimmon woods too. Then my mishap occurred breaking my shoulder and my back. Have gotten into the therapy phase and was signed off on my shoulder last week. Now I am on the long road of recovery on my back. But it will be slow but I will recover.

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I can not explain it but there is just something about a Macgregor 1 or 2 iron. I have messed around with a lot of 2 irons but for me it is either my VIP one of my Muirfields or FC-4000s or believe it or not an old rusty DX. Can not explain it.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Good luck with the recovery @BIG STU...hopefully time will pass quickly and you will soon be back on the course ?.
I have my first round in 5 months tomorrow...my longest break from golf for 12 years (I’ve been playing nearly 40 years which seems like a really long time now I’ve written it!!). I usually play at least once a week and twice a week during the summer months but through lockdown and a loss of appetite for playing I’ve just not been interested in getting out on the course.
I’d just bought a combo set prior to lockdown (see sig) and I’ve only got a couple of rounds in with them (my son started playing and took a shine to my MP4s!!) so I’m looking forward to giving them a proper workout. The clubheads are the smallest I’ve ever played but initial results back at the start of the year were encouraging...fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Finally my new sticks are here. COVID played havoc getting them as Wilson Staff Australia have been closed for a good chunk of time, first set also came with the wrong shafts

7a88c199-3d96-402c-9c05-7deced77f5cc.jpeg

d050ad1d-029f-4b3b-9f8b-7390e2279e7b.jpeg

ceeec1ea-5b9a-4c3e-9111-f53ec35e2aa5.jpeg

0e926b67-defc-4b8f-b11a-cc6633f3b87e.jpeg

9964fef5-6105-46bb-b8e2-d4da6eec7903.jpegSome photos alongside my beloved FG59’s for reference.

First range session was everything I had imagined, solid feel, great through the turf and pin point accurate. Only complaint grips feel a little small but that’s an easy one to fix

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

You are gonna love them! I have a hard time putting mine down. Congrats on the new sticks!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Hi Tax,

I would easily suggest the Mizuno MP33, fairly forgiving as far as blades go, and notoriously good feel to them. So smooth when you pure them and not “too” harsh when you miss them, obviously not as long amor forgiving as modern CBS, but I changed from M2 Tour’s to MP33s around 6 weeks ago and found if anything it’s made me a much better ball striker, mainly because I’m determined to hit them well to get the feeling of puring them, nothing quite like it :)

I picked a set up in extremely good condition, with brand new grips and nearly new shafts for £400, although I’ve seen more “average” or “typical” condition for as low as £150

:)

My continuing saga....

After a few weeks using my Golden Rams with graphite shafts, I set them aside for much the same reason I did so a couple years ago; was having trouble with the 105g weight of the shafts. Ironically, that problem appeared to be an issue primarily in the longer clubs, I wasn't having a problem with the short irons, or the SW/LW that also had the NV105 installed. Go figure.

Put my 1980 Golden Rams back in play and they were quite lovely. Hit them very well, from 2 iron thru wedge. My short game let me down a bit, making mistakes on short chips that I've been pretty good with lately, missed a couple short putts, and still managed a 77. For a 7 hdcp, i felt that was an overall reasonable effort. A bit frustrating for the "what could have been," but that's an unavoidable golf constant.

Another amusing bit of fun, the driver. I've gone backwards to the Fly-Z+, moved the weight forward, and dropped the loft to 8.5*, and my tee game has improved quite a bit. Funny game, this golf.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I played a persimmon and blades round recently. My game has been awful this past....2 years? I think I coming out of it, but I still have some way to go. Anyway, I started with a drive out of bounds (which actually wasn't because I found it on the next hole), so double bogey to begin with. Followed with one of my best iron shots in a while, a 9i that almost went it, and I managed to keep the front nine under control for a 39.

Then god only knows what happened, but I couldn't hit a tee shot. I thought I hit a decent drive on the tenth, but it went nowhere (first time using this particular persimmon driver). Switched to the 3w for my tee shots after that, but started topping them. Weird thing was that I would then invariably end up hitting a fairway wood off the deck for my second shot and absolutely middle it. Couldn't hit off the tee, but could hit off the deck. WHY??

Anyway, came in with a 49. Out in 3 over, back in 13 over. Irons were the same. Great on the front nine, not so great on the back nine.

Shot of the day was a 9i on the second from 150 yards to within a foot. Bit of wind behind.

Funny game, this golf (now where have I heard that before...?).

august-mornig-round-full-bag.jpg

august-morning-round-first.jpg

august-morning-round-birdie-time.jpg

• Like 2

So last week, could only play 15 and went 8 over. Shot 40 on front w/ 2 birds. 1st time this year felt like actual play of golf. This week shot 50 on front, 43 on back. On a course I seldom play but the real bugger on it is was the Bermuda greens. Seems there's no such thing as a straight putt or chip on em. Bright spot, can never hit a decent 3 wood but today found an intent that had me piping them down the fairway. Really hope my dopey body can remember it because there was some major crushing off the tee happening. None the less, Bermuda grass, can eat me. Not a fan.

• Like 1

Just picked up these from True Spec! 3-PW with $-Taper 130X....tightest dispersion I could have ever imagined!! Love them...now all I worry about when I step up is the ability to hit the middle

ggk-irons.jpg

• Like 1

Taylormade 9* Stealth : Diamana DF 70-TX tipped .5" 

Taylormade Sim Ti 15*: UST Proforce V2 70X 

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*: Atmos Tour Black 90X

Titleist U-500 4i: KBS $-Taper 130X +1/2"

Titleist 620MB 5-PW: KBS $-Taper 130X +1/2"

Titleist Vokey 50, 54, 58: KBS 610 S+ 

LAB Golf Directed Force

Yay! we're back, lol.  Bagged the VR Pro's yesterday. Love them. Really fine sticks that I avoided because I thought Nike had no business selling gear. What do I know. Finished par, par, birdie, birdie to salvage 85. Arm & hand tension is 70% of reason I majorly suck as a golfer and do very well as a driving range rat. I adjusted that aspect, game gets fun.

• Like 3

I've got my MP37s back in my bag, and dropped 4 wedges to head back to three as an experiment.  We'll see how this goes.

In driver news, I'm back to my Fly-Z+, fighting the lefts with my King LTD, regardless of the shaft in it.  The Fly-Z+ goes much straighter, even with a somewhat softer shaft in it.

And going to test a couple GripMaster Kidd leather grips.  Love the Roo grips, going to see how the Kidds measure up.

• Like 2

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Played a few days ago, bagging the FG-62s. I still dealing with my early release/flipping problems, but seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I hit some good shots, including a nice 6i to 10-12ft for a birdie chance (missed), 9i to 10ft for a birdie chance (3-putted), and a 7w to get on the par-5 18th in two (3-putted for par). Still flipping sometimes, especially tee-shots, but the flip is not as exaggerated as before, and the misses are slightly better. What killed me the most was putting. 38 putts, including 5 three-putts. Admittedly, the greens at the course I played are tricky, and the pin positions were often nasty, but I gave away too many shots on the greens. Shot 85 when I should have broken 80. 

5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Played a few days ago, bagging the FG-62s. I still dealing with my early release/flipping problems, but seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I hit some good shots, including a nice 6i to 10-12ft for a birdie chance (missed), 9i to 10ft for a birdie chance (3-putted), and a 7w to get on the par-5 18th in two (3-putted for par). Still flipping sometimes, especially tee-shots, but the flip is not as exaggerated as before, and the misses are slightly better. What killed me the most was putting. 38 putts, including 5 three-putts. Admittedly, the greens at the course I played are tricky, and the pin positions were often nasty, but I gave away too many shots on the greens. Shot 85 when I should have broken 80. 

38 putts is unacceptable.

I haven't gotten out in some time. Rainy season was long, now it's frightfully f****** hot season. I just about passed out yesterday hitting 150 balls before noon. Think it got up to 38 or 39. Hoping I can get to September in one piece so I can enjoy that Fall golf.

11 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

38 putts is unacceptable.

I haven't gotten out in some time. Rainy season was long, now it's frightfully f****** hot season. I just about passed out yesterday hitting 150 balls before noon. Think it got up to 38 or 39. Hoping I can get to September in one piece so I can enjoy that Fall golf.

Hot as hell here, isn't it? The course I played recently actually prefers players to walk, so we did. The caddy put our bags on a modded motorised cart, which she drove from behind, but we walked. I reckon I downed over 5 litres of water, and was popping salt/energy tablets. Just about made it through the round, but one guy in our group gave up on 16.

In fact, we were about the only group walking. Everyone else seemed to been in carts as the club had sensibly decided it was a little hot for walking and were allowing carts for everyone.

If it's anything there, like it is here... Damn. I am still doing the 10km to work 10km back on my bicycle, but it's getting ridiculous. When I leave in the morning it's above 30. Coming back today, 36. Thought that was actually pretty reasonable.

I've worked on my swing a lot this year. Usually I get into the pool every Monday and swim lengths until I can't lift my arms. But, Pools are out this year. I think I've corrected a flaw that has plagued my swing and made things a lot simpler in the process.

I've hit on something to get my transition solid. I basically turn my shoulders and once I hit the limit, I drive my right knee at the ball. When my hips start at the right time I can't hit it left. (thinking it might be because the movement slows the upper body slightly). Before my entire right foot was planted at impact and that causes too much inconsistency, coming over the top or blocking it. Now I am not so dependent on timing, but hitting a position. I am hitting the irons a lot more solid with a little draw. And my woods are all fading. I might have to set my driver less open, but I'll see if I can't just put some lead toward the heel because I don't want to buy another grip. The lead has worked well with the new 4 wood. I put two strips on the toe and started fading. Took one off and now it's straightening out a little too. Basically, I feel like my swing is as almost as good as it can get.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

38 putts is an absolute killer! Best thing I did was get a putting mat, trying to use it every evening now and just work on setup and a repeatable stroke for those 4 - 6 footers, It's definitely helping.

I also used to battle with flipping, got one of those gloves that has a solid piece of plastic in it that runs up your left wrist to stop the flip, also helped a lot. You could just stick a ruler in your glove at the range, same thing. 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

20 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

38 putts is an absolute killer! Best thing I did was get a putting mat, trying to use it every evening now and just work on setup and a repeatable stroke for those 4 - 6 footers, It's definitely helping.

I also used to battle with flipping, got one of those gloves that has a solid piece of plastic in it that runs up your left wrist to stop the flip, also helped a lot. You could just stick a ruler in your glove at the range, same thing. 

I might try the ruler. To be honest, it started due to other flaws, which I'm ironing out and getting back to better ball-striking. A big key was shoulder turn; I'm doing something like C_T_S mentioned in the post above, which is focussing on the shoulder turn. I just have to make sure the turn is on the right plane.

The problem with the putting the other day was more to do with misreading the putts than poor stroke. I only missed one putt because of a bad stroke, when I pulled the ball left. That said, I struggled over the first three or four holes getting adjusted to the speed of the greens. I three-putted the first from 15ft for that reason. Otherwise I was usually underestimating the break. The greens were relaid last year with a new grass, and I am wondering if that was part of the problem. Anyhow, I hit a number of putts that I thought were just right, only to see them turn more than I had estimated.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gbartko said:

No matter how much I try I always come back to my Blueprints. Tried Cobra Forged Tec, Sub 70 699 Pros and Ping G410 and they can't touch the BPs. I know when the ball leaves the face immediately that's it is going the same distance each and every time (when I hit it right).

But the hoe in me is STRONG!

I demoed the BP's. Solid club. Ping did well with them. 

• Like 1

Love my MP-20s but really wish Mizuno would make a gap wedge. I realize a lot of guys are happy to put their specialty models in at that loft (e.g., 50-52) but I don't like gap wedges with lots of chunk or high spin or special grinds. Save that for the sand and lob. But as far as I know, Callaway is the only one that makes a set-matching gap wedge in their blade model.

I realize not everyone would want this option, but how many people are buying the blade 3-iron? I would think at least as many people would adopt a blade gapper. Mizuno does make a gap wedge now with their 900 tour line, and I'm seriously considering adding that as my gap wedge. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

1 minute ago, uglande said:

Love my MP-20s but really wish Mizuno would make a gap wedge. I realize a lot of guys are happy to put their specialty models in at that loft (e.g., 50-52) but I don't like gap wedges with lots of chunk or high spin or special grinds. Save that for the sand and lob. But as far as I know, Callaway is the only one that makes a set-matching gap wedge in their blade model.

I realize not everyone would want this option, but how many people are buying the blade 3-iron? I would think at least as many people would adopt a blade gapper. Mizuno does make a gap wedge now with their 900 tour line, and I'm seriously considering adding that as my gap wedge. 

Totally agree with you.  For me, with sets that have PW's in the 48* and stronger realm, the GW is part of the iron set, and I'd rather have a set-similar GW than a specialty wedge.  Would be nice to have that option.

• Like 1