Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Against the very accurate reviews here and my better judgement, I went to the Northern IL Golf Expo today. What a complete waste of time. Is it false advertising when a good portion of your booths are completely unrelated to golf? As much as I value quality roofing, windows and bathroom tile, that's not the reason why I attend.

If that wasn't bad enough, the actual golf booths were laugh out loud bad. I go to the shows for the soft goods (balls, gloves, shoes, clothing, etc.) and the selection was awful. And, God help you if you were in the market for clubs. Frankly, it wasn't worth the effort the vendor took unloading the clubs, as I don't think the market for overpriced blades from the 70s & 80s and old-school persimmons is very strong.

However, I did learn from one of the used ball vendors that the Cubs are currently in rebuilding mode and the White Sox will win a title long before the Cubs do. Interesting take.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

I rolled in late last night from Phoenix. I managed 5 rounds in 4 days at Wickenburg Ranch, Legacy, Camelback Ambiente, Whirlwind Devil's Claw, and Raven GC. Wickenburg was the most visually interesting course, with nice elevation changes, and really tricky green complexes. Highly recommended. The highlight of the trip was playing all five rounds with one golf ball. 'Can't remember the last time I went that long without losing a ball. I put the ball on my shelf next to my hole-in-one ball.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just got back from 4 days and 6 rounds in Orlando. Orlando, I love you, Orlando (not really, but heard it in a song)

Did 18 on Wednesday at Falcons Fire - Meh, it was ok. Kind of glad it was more of a burn off round and a chance to shake some winter rust off. The course was ok. The greens were miserably slow, which only led to putting woes on future greens where your 5 foot downhill putt became a 15 ft uphill putt.

36 at Waldorf Astoria - Greens were in great shape. They just put down fertilizer that morning before we teed off so it was probably similar to playing greens that were just aerated but without the punch marks. These greens were good. The course is or was called Bonnet Ridge or Creek. I really didn't pay much attention to that. Typical Rees Jones with the bunkering. The other thing was the course didn't really have a memorable hole. All seemed to either be lined either with trees/jungle/ lost ball area or one side was water and the other was trees/jungle. They all started to feel the same.

18 at Grand Cypress - New Course - Course was in good shape. The best thing about this course is you can hit it anywhere you want off the tee and never have to worry about not having a second shot at the green. its probably why the slope is something like 120. Just hit it hard, hope you didn't hit someone, and move forward.

36 - Disney Palm/Magnolia - I've always liked the Magnolia more. They made us go off the back instead of playing the normal order but no big deal. 17/18, the long par 4s, play better as the last two holes and not the middle. greens were rolling great. really true.

Palm - never had much to stay about this. just another meh course to me. The things I don't really like about either is how each hole seems to frame the same. Hit the ball, if its towards the rough and stops you're in good shape, if its a little hard through the rough its automatically off the cart path and in the jungle. There really isn't much desire for me to go in after it. Much different from courses here where you aren't automatically penalized for an errant tee shot. I suppose I could learn to hit the driver better, but that's not fun.

I was more excited to hit the new stuff in my bag. Everything worked out well.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Are there many houses in the Wickenburg Ranch development? A year or so ago it was a golf course surrounded by roads and emptiness.

It's still mostly empty, but it's slowly starting to build up. There are a number of homes near the first two holes, but it gets rather empty as you play your way into the course.

20170112_152910s.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Just got back from 4 days and 6 rounds in Orlando. Orlando, I love you, Orlando (not really, but heard it in a song)

Did 18 on Wednesday at Falcons Fire - Meh, it was ok. Kind of glad it was more of a burn off round and a chance to shake some winter rust off. The course was ok. The greens were miserably slow, which only led to putting woes on future greens where your 5 foot downhill putt became a 15 ft uphill putt.

36 at Waldorf Astoria - Greens were in great shape. They just put down fertilizer that morning before we teed off so it was probably similar to playing greens that were just aerated but without the punch marks. These greens were good. The course is or was called Bonnet Ridge or Creek. I really didn't pay much attention to that. Typical Rees Jones with the bunkering. The other thing was the course didn't really have a memorable hole. All seemed to either be lined either with trees/jungle/ lost ball area or one side was water and the other was trees/jungle. They all started to feel the same.

18 at Grand Cypress - New Course - Course was in good shape. The best thing about this course is you can hit it anywhere you want off the tee and never have to worry about not having a second shot at the green. its probably why the slope is something like 120. Just hit it hard, hope you didn't hit someone, and move forward.

36 - Disney Palm/Magnolia - I've always liked the Magnolia more. They made us go off the back instead of playing the normal order but no big deal. 17/18, the long par 4s, play better as the last two holes and not the middle. greens were rolling great. really true.

Palm - never had much to stay about this. just another meh course to me. The things I don't really like about either is how each hole seems to frame the same. Hit the ball, if its towards the rough and stops you're in good shape, if its a little hard through the rough its automatically off the cart path and in the jungle. There really isn't much desire for me to go in after it. Much different from courses here where you aren't automatically penalized for an errant tee shot. I suppose I could learn to hit the driver better, but that's not fun.

How did things go with the new Cally set up?

So I got a gift of a six pack of lessons for the PGA Superstore. Anyone have any luck with any of the teaching pros at any of the chicagoland stores?

I'm about a 5 handicap looking to improve my wood and iron game. Short game is the only thing that doesn't need to be touched.

Thanks for any input.

Really, really well.

I was really excited to hit everything in the bag. Mostly the driver, irons and putter though. A side note though, during the Callaway event, I accidentally got the wrong flex in my driver shaft (x instead of an s) so really being able to see how the driver would go with what I was fit for didn't get to happen. No biggie though. The ball just explodes off the face. There are a few guys that are usually past me on this trip. I felt like this time I wasn't as far behind. Lots of factors to that, but still felt comfortable hitting it. The sound is unreal with the driver. It sounds really good.

I was really excited to hit the irons too. I got apex pros so its actually a jump back into a player type cavity coming from a mb iron. I'm getting old and having less time to play/practice as kids get older so this move was recommended by my fitter as the best of both worlds. I had them shafted up with the steelfibers in 95g and the ball just launches so much higher and I don't lose any distance with it. Also what is nice, no elbow pain after 36 hole days. That was a common occurrence with me, but even after the long days, no pins and needle pains in the elbow.

The last thing was the putter. The O-works has a soft feel coming off the face. Its going to be an adjustment coming from a milled putter for the past 20 years, but the ball rolls well.

wedges and Fws were good. If you read theWRX post, I explain how messed up the top of my bag is with not having a 3 wood but a 5 and 7 wood and 4 hyb. I have the MD3 wedges which are a change from the vokeys that I have used and just recently bought a new set, we'll keep that in our secret circle though.

My game was otherwise brutal . I hate having to shake off the rust. I really wish some of the courses in my area would put in some simulators.

Didn't mean to turn this into the equipment thread, but I was pleased with the new stuff in the bag.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Really, really well.

I was really excited to hit everything in the bag. Mostly the driver, irons and putter though. A side note though, during the Callaway event, I accidentally got the wrong flex in my driver shaft (x instead of an s) so really being able to see how the driver would go with what I was fit for didn't get to happen. No biggie though. The ball just explodes off the face. There are a few guys that are usually past me on this trip. I felt like this time I wasn't as far behind. Lots of factors to that, but still felt comfortable hitting it. The sound is unreal with the driver. It sounds really good.

I was really excited to hit the irons too. I got apex pros so its actually a jump back into a player type cavity coming from a mb iron. I'm getting old and having less time to play/practice as kids get older so this move was recommended by my fitter as the best of both worlds. I had them shafted up with the steelfibers in 95g and the ball just launches so much higher and I don't lose any distance with it. Also what is nice, no elbow pain after 36 hole days. That was a common occurrence with me, but even after the long days, no pins and needle pains in the elbow.

The last thing was the putter. The O-works has a soft feel coming off the face. Its going to be an adjustment coming from a milled putter for the past 20 years, but the ball rolls well.

wedges and Fws were good. If you read theWRX post, I explain how messed up the top of my bag is with not having a 3 wood but a 5 and 7 wood and 4 hyb. I have the MD3 wedges which are a change from the vokeys that I have used and just recently bought a new set, we'll keep that in our secret circle though.

My game was otherwise brutal . I hate having to shake off the rust. I really wish some of the courses in my area would put in some simulators.

Didn't mean to turn this into the equipment thread, but I was pleased with the new stuff in the bag.

Thanks for sharing...and with this time of year, there's not much going on in the thread so you're entertaining us. Are the wedges what you were fit for on the trip? Did you feel as though the driver is as forgiving as advertised?

Really, really well.

Thanks for sharing...and with this time of year, there's not much going on in the thread so you're entertaining us. Are the wedges what you were fit for on the trip? Did you feel as though the driver is as forgiving as advertised?

The weather is turning, for January. Be careful skating to work in in the AM.

The wedges were what I was fit for. I wanted something different, the fitter disagreed with me greatly on those and he had me hit a few. After blading a few in a row, he made a funny comment and I hit what he wanted me to try.

I ended up with the 52 and 56 MD3 with the W grind and the 60PM grind. The 60 takes some getting used to. The look is odd.

The driver is really forgiving. I have just the regular epic. I can't hit the SZ or the ball would fall out of the air about 3 feet in front of me. I hit some high on the face and close to the toe and the ball still got up and went. Now I know my eyes can't tell the difference between 135mph and 140mph in ball speed, but the ball just looked like it got off the face a lot faster.

Ask away, I'll entertain. I'm an entertainer.

I am about 70% done with my review of Torrey South, I've been busy though so wrapping it up and getting it over for review/edit to see if its worthy will take some time. I want to do a review on one other Chicago course, but want to make sure the course is Ok before I write something for that.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Regarding the wedges, they seem to be very forgiving by design for a toe side hit which Mickelson was said to be enamored with. In your FL rounds, what were your thoughts on playability greenside, from a tight lie, rough, bunker, etc.? How were they compared to the Vokey's?

I've become a huge fan of Cally design and technology, am looking at their wedges vs. Cally.

Sincerely appreciate your input.

Regarding the wedges, they seem to be very forgiving by design for a toe side hit which Mickelson was said to be enamored with. In your FL rounds, what were your thoughts on playability greenside, from a tight lie, rough, bunker, etc.? How were they compared to the Vokey's?

I've become a huge fan of Cally design and technology, am looking at their wedges vs. Cally.

Sincerely appreciate your input.

The 52 and 56 are just the normal MD3 with a W grind. So a wider sole for a late releaser / digger like myself.

The PM is just the 60 and its interesting thats for sure. The high toe makes it different to look down on. In the fluffy stuff around the green, the club did a good job of getting under it and if I got too much under it, the high toe would make the miss not as severe. I really struggled off the tight lie with it. I either came it too steep and it chunked or came in too flat and it bounced. I am going to practice a lot with this club when the season opens up. It the bunker it was easy as it could be.

I have been using a vokey K grind for the last couple of years in only the 60 deg. wider sole, little more relief in the rough and some difficulty off the tighter lie. That thing was easy to hit out of a bunker though.

I'm starting to think its operator error for both since they seem to have the same results for the same situations.

I really like the look of the MD Forged. Unfortunately the grind would not work for me at all. The R grind is a more aggressive C grind so it has an even sharper leading edge. I wanted that one but the fitter there knew it wasn't going to work for me.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

It'll be 57 and partly sunny on Saturday. I'm sure the courses will be swamps but that hasn't stopped me before. I'm getting tired of hitting in a golf dome so it's time to head back to the real world.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

It'll be 57 and partly sunny on Saturday. I'm sure the courses will be swamps but that hasn't stopped me before. I'm getting tired of hitting in a golf dome so it's time to head back to the real world.

If it rains tomorrow and Friday as forecast, it's going to be a mess.

Went to Cantigny yesterday to practice and walked one fairway to get an idea of the swamplike conditions. Not as bad as I thought they would be. I plan on playing Cog Friday morning and I anticipate it being in worst condition. Stay in the fairways, my friends.

That's all the confirmation I need. I'm thinking of heading to scenic Northwest Indiana. If Palmira Golf Club in St. John's is open year round, I'll head there. The layout is great but the conditions are generally spotty. Given the weather, bad conditions are gonna be the case everywhere.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Decided to drop in GG Naperville today. I was surprised to hear they are closing this store next week. I wonder if there are any other Illinois GGs shutting down.

Golf Galaxy I assume?

We're getting one here in the Iowa Quad Cities (Bettendorf) in April. Did they say why they were closing?

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Decided to drop in GG Naperville today. I was surprised to hear they are closing this store next week. I wonder if there are any other Illinois GGs shutting down.

Yikes, bummer. I didn't miss losing the Downers Golf Galaxy but I have to say I miss the Downers Grove Golfsmith quite a bit already. PGASS just isn't the same, their bays are always packed and I liked the different clothing selection at Golfsmith. Bummer for Naperville area folk who've lost both but don't have a replacement. I wonder if all are going out or if the Orland Park store is staying.

Golf Galaxy I assume?

We're getting one here in the Iowa Quad Cities (Bettendorf) in April. Did they say why they were closing?

Yes - Golf Galaxy

I asked one of the employees if they were relocatiog and he said no - they were simply closing shop. Thought maybe they were moving to a former Golfsmith store which is approx. 1 mlle away.

15 hcp

It's kind of weird there is not a hint of this on the internet.

It's been in the works since late 2014.

http://www.golfwrx.com/239847/dicks-sporting-goods-may-close-many-of-its-golf-galaxy-stores/

I feel like I haven't seen a crowded golf store in 10 years. The Golfsmith in Highland Park never had anyone in it. Seems like Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith are in a middle market that has no demand. If I want to buy at the lowest price, I'll shop online. If I want to be fitted and spend a little more, there are better options in many cases.

Go to Chicago Bills Golf in Hanover Park for gear. Connected to Green Valley driving range. Best prices and they are in DuPage so sales tax isn't as bad as Cook.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I ended up back at Prairie Bluff today. I was looking forward to my first round with the 917 but, on the first tee, the head came flying off. I guess the epoxy hadn't cured but I'll definitely be causing a scene at the PGATSS. I'm aware it's Titleist's fault and not theirs but I'm hoping to get something free out of this. I didn't really need a driver today anyway and shot a 74. Two birdies helped, including a chip in on 18.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I ended up back at Prairie Bluff today. I was looking forward to my first round with the 917 but, on the first tee, the head came flying off. I guess the epoxy hadn't cured but I'll definitely be causing a scene at the PGATSS. I'm aware it's Titleist's fault and not theirs but I'm hoping to get something free out of this. I didn't really need a driver today anyway and shot a 74. Two birdies helped, including a chip in on 18.

How long had the epoxy set?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How wet was it out there?

15 hcp