2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Who else has given up on scramble tourneys?

I took 3 low handicappers to a scramble last month. We shot a legit -15, and tied for 5th. We hit it long, so the par-5's are easily reachable. Made 2 legit eagles, one a drivable par 4, one on a par-5. Small tournament, and nobody on the range could hit it a lick for accuracy..One of my boys challenged the winners (-20) to a head to head for 9 holes, anytime, anywhere, and we'd pay the green fees. We aren't spectacular by any means, nor are we cocky, we just know when we can smell a rat. They took their crap Srixon's they won for 1st place and couldn't get out of there fast enough.....lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='EKELLY' timestamp='1451515685' post='12781774']
I took 3 low handicappers to a scramble last month. We shot a legit -15, and tied for 5th. We hit it long, so the par-5's are easily reachable. Made 2 legit eagles, one a drivable par 4, one on a par-5. Small tournament, and nobody on the range could hit it a lick for accuracy..One of my boys challenged the winners (-20) to a head to head for 9 holes, anytime, anywhere, and we'd pay the green fees. We aren't spectacular by any means, nor are we cocky, we just know when we can smell a rat. They took their crap Srixon's they won for 1st place and couldn't get out of there fast enough.....lol
[/quote]
If the prize was just a bunch of "crap Srixons", then who cares who won, amirite?

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1451568814' post='12783950']
[quote name='EKELLY' timestamp='1451515685' post='12781774']
[/quote]
If the prize was just a bunch of "crap Srixons", then who cares who won, amirite?
[/quote]

Your question may be rhetorical... but I'll bite: Hell yeah I care! They are stealing something that is mine, albeit "crap Srixon's".
I hate thieves. Hate 'em.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 4 weeks later...

A friend just played in a scramble where the winning score was 48!

Scrambles can be fun if you have no expectations and you like the people you're with. I don't like not knowing exactly how well I personally did, but enjoy seeing the team get excited for a good score on a hole. I quit playing scramble s at my local course because the same foursome won all of them. I asked one of them what he did with all the golf clubs, bags and gear he won, since he had more than enough. He said, "Oh, I just give it to my brothers-in-law, cousins, nephews, etc."

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

I've played in a lot of scrambles, and I often get invited to anchor the team for a work-sponsored charity scramble. It's an opportunity to have some beers with people you might not otherwise play with, and I don't look at it with my normal competitive focus. I have seen plenty of times where the scores were too low to make any realistic sense, and it's rather discouraging when you know people are blatantly cheating.

On the positive side, last summer I played in a charity scramble and won the straight drive competition ($100) plus the raffle ($1,000), so I was pretty happy after that event.

My club also has a one-man scramble every year which is really fun. You get a mulligan on every shot!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Your team paid a grand to play in a scramble? Holy hell

I play in an event almost every year where the entry is $2,500 per foursome (paid by my employer). It's a great cause, and this year everyone got an Ogio golf shirt, an Ogio pullover, a couple sleeves of balls and a $50 gift card to spend in the Adidas/Taylormade tent. A nice dinner and silent auction in the evening. a local hospital is the beneficiary, and they always raise a lot of money. The winners get a gift card for about $200 each, so if they cheated they are selling their integrity cheaply.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I'm with you. I thought I was going to win ld the last scramble I played. I hit it pretty long, during awards ceremony a lady in her late 50's, early 60's claims the prize. The women's tees were maybe 30-40 yards in front of us. (Passive brag) I doubt she hit it over 280-290. Our team also shot -18 and came in 5th.

-18 for 5th, I can believe that. Couple years ago, my team shot -19, tied for 3rd and lost out on tiebreaker. Also shot 51 twice which is only good for 2nd place.

My home club has two big fundraising scrambles every year, one of them with a prize of 714 AP2. Last year a 4 man team that I know cheats often, turned in a 51( -21) while we(all scratch players) played very well with a -19, 53. No way we could've scored any better on that tough day. So my club pro decided this year to put 2 groups together this year. Paired my team with that team. They shot a 59 this year while we shot 53 again on a much easier scoring day.

I play in lot of scrambles, mostly to have a good time with beers. Of course, I've played in lot of them when we played awful but had a good time anyway because they're fundraisers.

That is the only way to be sure. Can''t count how many times my group has shot a legit 15-16 under and came in 4th or 5th. But nobody will play us in a little head to head.....WE're not cocky, just good at smelling a rat.....LOL

I'm with you. I thought I was going to win ld the last scramble I played. I hit it pretty long, during awards ceremony a lady in her late 50's, early 60's claims the prize. The women's tees were maybe 30-40 yards in front of us. (Passive brag) I doubt she hit it over 280-290. Our team also shot -18 and came in 5th.

-18 for 5th, I can believe that. Couple years ago, my team shot -19, tied for 3rd and lost out on tiebreaker. Also shot 51 twice which is only good for 2nd place.

My home club has two big fundraising scrambles every year, one of them with a prize of 714 AP2. Last year a 4 man team that I know cheats often, turned in a 51( -21) while we(all scratch players) played very well with a -19, 53. No way we could've scored any better on that tough day. So my club pro decided this year to put 2 groups together this year. Paired my team with that team. They shot a 59 this year while we shot 53 again on a much easier scoring day.

I play in lot of scrambles, mostly to have a good time with beers. Of course, I've played in lot of them when we played awful but had a good time anyway because they're fundraisers.

That is the only way to be sure. Can''t count how many times my group has shot a legit 15-16 under and came in 4th or 5th. But nobody will play us in a little head to head.....WE're not cocky, just good at smelling a rat.....LOL

You can bet my team would do the same thing. Ha Few times after scrambles were done, we would play with few other teams for another 9 holes with some $$$ thrown in the pot. Lot of trash talking and fun times.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

• 2 weeks later...

Your question may be rhetorical... but I'll bite: Hell yeah I care! They are stealing something that is mine, albeit "crap Srixon's".

I hate thieves. Hate 'em.

Oh, I could care less, TBH.......But that team couldn't shoot -10 on their best day......LOL

I prefer the 2 man scrambles where the 2some you are paired with keeps your score and you keep their score. Keeps cheating down.

Charity 4 man scrambles I see 50-51s come in the clubhouse, but a charity 2 man where scores are kept by your partners I think the lowest I have ever seen is 63.

I agree 100%. My partner and I have played a few 2's. Surprising how guys are different players when someone else is keeping score.....lol

I love playing scrambles. I have come to terms that usually there's no chance of winning anything at them. There's far too much cheating that goes on in them.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Best scramble I ever played in was in southern PA. It was a fund raiser run by the local lion's club. 4 man scramble and the winning score was -8. The kicker was they had local college students getting their public service hours credit by riding with each 4-some and keeping the score for them. It funny how high the "real" scores were compared to the "normal" scramble scores.

We play in a couple a year. They started great and honest, but now are a joke. We won our turkey shoot 3 of 5 years and the members would complain about us outsider non members cheating so bad, our lowest score was 14 under. We don't cheat, as it's not that serious and we don't care, just ended up on top those years after playing pretty well. Well the biggest complainers of those three years, have now won 3 straight.......at -22 each year lol.

But one I was very disappointed in was my work tourney this year. It was around 50 degrees and the wind was howling, pins were gnarly. We struggled all day and came in at -3. We were one of 4 teams under par out of 22 teams. A team came in a posted -12 and that was the most absurd thing I thought I saw......until the "winners" posted......a -21. They got salty when people were ribbing them and challenged "anyone of you smartazzes any day of the week, and you'll see". I right then said well play you, and have still yet to hear back.

We play on them every year because we really enjoy playing with each other and have a great time, but are fully understanding that they have gotten out of hand and well likely never win either of those again lol.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I used to play in one that had a huge calcutta in NW MO. The tourney only paid out basically your money back plus $20 or so a guy for winning, but the calcutta paid out huge, so there is for sure some pencil whipping that happens up there (mostly why we quit going up there to play in the tourneys).

I do play in one charity event at a pretty short course in the fall and we usually shoot in the -17 to -20+ range as the course has about 6 drivable par 4's plus every par 5 is reachable with an iron. We've won it 3-4 times and have been called cheats several times. We have offered to put our winnings up on another 9 holes but never seem to have any takers....

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I did play in an annual charity event. One nice feature was that all beverages, including booze, were free from the cart girl. One year, it was extremely hot. The round took over 5 hours, nearly 6, which was standard. Afterward, we asked what happened to the cart with the free drinks? We were told that the group on the first or second hole took control of her and wouldn't let her go the entire round. They drank over $2000 worth of booze. The course personnel were still talking about it a year later.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

You never put a bev cart on the course in a scramble without a guy in it. Never.

Or don't have such trashy sounding people on the course. Or have some type of management on the course that will stop that kind of behavior and manage their employees....

Every tourney I've ever played has had a women driving the cart and I've never once heard of the women being held against their will to cater to a bunch of drunk idiots.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played in another tournament that was a $1,000 per team buy in. Winning team "claimed" a 22 under par score. A score that, even with mulligans, is straight up IMPOSSIBLE.

I've been on a team which shot -21 once. It was a local muni, short course. It was also a 6-man scramble, and 2 of them were local pros.

I've also been on a team of hack and we won with -14. No cheating, but I guess unless you watched every shot, you would probably have though us cheaters. Two of the guys played a handful of times a year. First putter rolled in something like 9 birdies. It was crazy.

That said, I don't like the 4-man anymore. They take far too long, and is usually just a boozefest. Then so many of them toss in "silly golf" rules, like mulligans, string, etc.

I'm all about the 2-man events though, much more close to "real golf" and if it's run right, the twosome doesn't know each other.

I manage a charity scramble every year. As most everyone has said, the main purpose is charity. But to address any "stroke shaving" we enter the three lowest teams in a shootout. Every player gets a shot- closest to the pin wins. It is a lot of fun to watch the teams hit a 100 yard shot in front of about 150 people. Nerves, booze, spectators yelling "get in the hole", etc.... It seems that if we did have a stroke shaving team, they expose themselves in the shootout. It has been a huge hit.