2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What would rejuvenate the golf equipment industry?

uW0tM8

I really believe the pace of play thing is a total red herring. Just another way of foisting one's impatience on others. Which is another form of instant gratification expectations which is definitely not a trait attributable to only millenials. It's ubiquitous.

And it has nothing to do with lagging equipment sales. Equipment companies have saturated to the point where it's a zero sum game.

Somebody's gotta lose sales for someone else to win.

Best suggestion yet was to increase the club limit.

Repeat buyers are the ones that drive equipment sales, and I'd bet pareto rules.

I would be interested in seeing how well a course would do if it became a true 9 hole, nicely maintained course. Maybe a local 18 hole course decides to essentially split into two different 9 hole courses, and charge half price.

Too often 9 hole courses are either goat tracks, or they charge 75% of the green fee for half the golf.

But a nice course becoming two 9 hole courses at half price. And sending people off both 1 and 10 simultaneously. Would be interested as an experiment to see how well it did. I do think time is a factor for many people. Maybe not everyone....but the ability to play 9 holes for 29.99$ , tee off at 8:30 and be home by 10:45....might be interesting to many people

I'd like to see just one course try this and see

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've played for a long time (nearly a half century) and through the growing years with my two oldest my rounds decreased dramatically. But no decrease in the amount of time a round takes would have changed my rounds played during those years.

I wasn't willing to give more than what I did. I played 18 sparingly and that was that. Those were the days I had committed, whether it was a 3 hour round or a 4 1/2 hour round it mattered none.

And I don't see any first hand evidence that a round of golf today takes any longer than it did in the 70's.

It takes what it takes.

I've suggested this a few times over the years and still hope to see a time where a universal adapter is adopted industry wide for woods and drivers. I would pick the current Titleist or Callaway adapter for their ability to adjust loft and lie independently.

Awesome idea. Swapping shafts would become a dream scenario...It's been a pain with all these different adapters.

This does exist.

If you're referencing the Club Conex uni-fit system, yes, there is a "universal" option. But it's certainly not widely accepted by manufacturers. Unfortunately Callaway dabbled into this with the i-mix and it was dropped quickly.

I've played for a long time (nearly a half century) and through the growing years with my two oldest my rounds decreased dramatically. But no decrease in the amount of time a round takes would have changed my rounds played during those years.

I wasn't willing to give more than what I did. I played 18 sparingly and that was that. Those were the days I had committed, whether it was a 3 hour round or a 4 1/2 hour round it mattered none.

And I don't see any first hand evidence that a round of golf today takes any longer than it did in the 70's.

It takes what it takes.

I think the biggest difference is more women work now, and they want their weekends too. I'm sure rounds take the same amount of time i don't disagree. I just know so many guys who have a hard time getting away for that long on the weekend. Their wives work all week too and don't want to watch the kids alone from 8:30 to 3pm or something (assuming a post round beer or something). Often they want to get to the gym, see friends ...etc aswell.

I think there's a lot more dual income families then they're used to be. And that means less time for women to enjoy their hobbies or see friends, at least compared to the past. So it's hard for a guy to take prime saturday hours at the club every weekend

that's just my opinion

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

More young people starting to play golf would help.

A friend works at one of the nicer public courses in my area and he said he has only seen a handful of kids playing, this summer. Years ago the place was packed with families and the course was thriving.

The whole town got involved in the game. The locals actually received discounts to play.

Out of towners took over the place and removed the discounts and all the locals quit going.

Now the cliental is getting older and fewer.

The Club manufactures should donate any surplus gear the the local schools and sponsor youth golf.

I think the kids would play if they had access to equipment and a place to do it.

Kinda reminds me of the fishing industry in our province, years ago a northern fishing lodge would get 800-900 anglers paying 2500-3500 per week to fish. Now they get less than 10% of those anglers. All the older fish crazy guys are gone and no one to replace them.

Golf industry is in a steady decline, not sure if there is a cure.

I love golf more than most of the people i know and i have a hard time shelling out $60-70 to play a round.

Not sure if golf newbies are going to shell out that kinda money.

I know of one other course close to me that went into receivership and the new owner priced the rounds at $25 bucks. The place has seen a resurgence of people. Hopefully there making enough to keep the place open.

I know i sure did my part this year to keep the manufactures profitable. lol

problem with golf why it's failing to attract younger player is that.. Golf just isn't that.. cool compared to other sports. Golf, like no other sports, consider its history and proper etiquette a must-have for any players, not just professionals, but a local kid just trying it out. I remember when I first started, my buddies will teach me ways to play right and I see on sports TV that how people laud a professional golfer turned himself in for an infraction when no one saw him doing it.. and that pretty much sums what playing golf is.. I'm not saying that's bad.. in fact I like it that I can have quiet relaxing and exciting round of golf with any random people and not be bothered by loud, annoying a******. But some people, especially new and young players might find golf boring or too stiff compared to basketball, football, etc where there's instant satisfaction on each play.

Plus there are too many other choices in sports now compared to old times. Rather than hoping for loads of people to try golf, I suggest golf industry to focus on who's playing now and improve the experience.

It takes what it takes.

I think the biggest difference is more women work now, and they want their weekends too. I'm sure rounds take the same amount of time i don't disagree. I just know so many guys who have a hard time getting away for that long on the weekend. Their wives work all week too and don't want to watch the kids alone from 8:30 to 3pm or something (assuming a post round beer or something). Often they want to get to the gym, see friends ...etc aswell.

I think there's a lot more dual income families then they're used to be. And that means less time for women to enjoy their hobbies or see friends, at least compared to the past. So it's hard for a guy to take prime saturday hours at the club every weekend

that's just my opinion

Certainly the social dynamics have changed through the years and I'm not dismissing your points at all. They're valid. One of the groups I play with on weekends typically play very early and usually we break off as soon as we putt out.

And we play in between 3:45 to 4:15. Very rarely do we get pushed, but when we do we let 'em play through. Some days the yin and the yang just isn't there.

Equipment mfgs. are going to be forced to find their sweet spot and ride it.

But if I were president of rejuvenating golf, I would start by simplifying the official rules. It's kind of like coaching Hot Stove baseball. All these silly little side rules put in by some well meaning parent for kids that just want to play ball.

It becomes a gordian knot that ends up choking the game.

Tiger Woods buying TM would rejuvenate the equipment industry. He still moves the needle in the golf industry.

In 14 years of selling gear at retail totalling over $7million, I've never had one customer ask me about a club because player X uses it.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Elect politicians who will create and environment that stimulates the economy. Strong economy=more golfers=more=golf being played=more equipment being sold.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I am curious as to why we need to rejuvenate anything?

We currently have

• the most equipment choices, newest technology and lowest prices (adjusted for inflation) that we've ever had
  • golf balls are incredible and their technology ranges from a great 2-layer design to crazy 6-layer constructs, with every price point and feel in between
  • the most customizable club and equipment options ever, from fitting, Trackman, adjustable clubs, different colors, grips, etc
  • an incredible amount of clubs, from crappy to nice munis to high-end private clubs
  • a relatively interesting PGA Tour with multiple winners, storylines (TW coming back? Phil trying to hit a drive in the FW, Dustin finally winnning, Rory clinching the FedEx cup)

What exactly is wrong with any of the above that needs fixing?

Now if you ask me how to speed up the game and make it so that we can get a round in without planning for 2/3 of an entire day gone, let's talk!!!

We currently have

• the most equipment choices, newest technology and lowest prices (adjusted for inflation) that we've ever had
  • golf balls are incredible and their technology ranges from a great 2-layer design to crazy 6-layer constructs, with every price point and feel in between
  • the most customizable club and equipment options ever, from fitting, Trackman, adjustable clubs, different colors, grips, etc
  • an incredible amount of clubs, from crappy to nice munis to high-end private clubs
  • a relatively interesting PGA Tour with multiple winners, storylines (TW coming back? Phil trying to hit a drive in the FW, Dustin finally winnning, Rory clinching the FedEx cup)

Now if you ask me how to speed up the game and make it so that we can get a round in without planning for 2/3 of an entire day gone, let's talk!!!

Where on Gawds green earth does it take 16 hours to golf???

The downturn in golf is directly attributable to the economy going south. Also, the increase in energy prices drove up the costs for the courses to keep them maintained which drove up green fees. In a bad economy, that's not such a good thing to have happen.

I've been around long enough to see this happen on more than one occasion. Golf declined in the 70s due to the bad economy and spiking energy prices. Recovered some in the 80s and started declining a bit in the late 80s, early 90s. Then the economy took off, Tiger hit the scene and everyone was playing. Now, it is a correction back to the level the game normally sustains. Too many course were built. Callaway was responsible for the increase in club prices. When the original Callaway Big Berthas drivers came out, they were 50 bucks more than comparable metals of the day. So what happened? People bought the hell out of the Callaways and everyone else went up.

In the end, golf isn't really suffering but it is correcting back to a more sustainable level. There was no way to sustain the boom years either with equipment or number of courses.

1. drop in price

2. free beer with every purchase

...problem solved

I bought into a program here that costs $30/month. With that I get unlimited range, $16 twilight rounds with a cart, and 2 free beers each round. Needless to say, the program has been fairly popular. Place is packed!

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Tiger Woods buying TM would rejuvenate the equipment industry. He still moves the needle in the golf industry.

In 14 years of selling gear at retail totalling over $7million, I've never had one customer ask me about a club because player X uses it.

Preach brother! You'll only understand this if you have worked in the industry. Players "moving the needle" is a myth.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

1. drop in price

...problem solved

I bought into a program here that costs $30/month. With that I get unlimited range, $16 twilight rounds with a cart, and 2 free beers each round. Needless to say, the program has been fairly popular. Place is packed!

That's a sweet deal.

We currently have

Because the people who make them and the people who sell them are mostly going out of business

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Get local courses involved in the selling of equipment.

'Back in my day'...we didn't go to big box retail shops for clubs. Why would you? You could go to your local course and get to demo out a driver outdoors in a practice range or take it out on the course for a round. If you didn't like it and you had a person there who knew you personally, knew your game, understood fitting and had some salesmanship skills...you would end up getting the club(s) you wanted.

And there was some real excitement about the purchase. If you have to order the clubs, there was anticipation between you and the pro when your clubs arrive. Or after playing with the club, the pro would ask you 'how's the club working for ya?'

I think the equipment business either needs to:

1) Treat Golfsmith and PGA Tour SS as Home Depot/Lowe's and treat the golf courses like your local hardware store

or

2) Find a way to get Golfsmith's and PGA Tour SS actually involved with golf courses.

Another thing I would look into is reducing the price of golf balls. I think that causes a lot of issues for golfers. If you pay $50 for a tee time and lose 3 balls, that's like paying $62 just to play golf. And people that lose golf balls end up taking more away from clubs and they now make rounds longer because it's too expensive to not seriously look for a golf ball.

I'd also like to see more information on clubs like the head weight, vertical CoG location, etc. Make it easier for golfers to figure out what type of equipment suits them.

RH

1. drop in price

...problem solved

That's a sweet deal.

I bought into a similar deal last Spring in my area and just canceled recently. You got access to 3 courses (all in different directions for the most part), but the course conditions have gone completely downhill and pace of play is horrible. I was also having issues with the website trying to book tee times. The unlimited range balls was pretty useless to me as I really don't care for the range and it would take me more time and cost me more gas money to go hit golf balls at any of the courses; as it was easier to pay $5 or $10 at a range very close by. The beer may have been the best part, except for it was limited to cheap domestic beer which I'm no fan of.

Hopefully your course conditions is still good and they do a better job of managing the courses.

1. drop in price

...problem solved

12 ball markers please!

one ball marker at a time right? LOL!

reading somewhere on here I recall someone say that in Japan, playing a round of golf including transportation round trip turns into a 10-12hr day...that's with no 19th hole.

I've got a similar deal here not as good as yours because of the beers, $29 a month, unlimited range (twilight times), $10 twilight rounds w/cart. no free beers though. It also has been quite popular. during the summer we're looking at 5hr rounds. now fall/winter I can get around in 3hrs if the carts are allowed out.

We currently have

It's not so much where, but with whom.