Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Scott was rolling one today at the Arnold Palmer.

Borrowing Jason's I believe.......

Yeap. Scott has not been putting the best and his Futura has been letting him down and said he wasn't the most confident with his putting in an interview late last year. He probably wanted to see what the putter was all about from a fellow Aussie!

If Taylormade ever make a milled Spider Tour, I will part my ways with my money very quickly.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

If Taylormade ever make a milled Spider Tour, I will part my ways with my money very quickly.

Imagine that. Be all over it.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I doubt that's possible.

Part of what makes this putter so great is the high MOI, and a one piece/one material milled construction will most likely through that off by quite a bit.

That said, if TaylorMade (or any other company, for that matter) can make a Spider-esque slant neck putter, with the MOI and performance characteristics of the Spider Tour, AND somehow figure out how to make it sound/feel like an old Anser with a sound slot, then I will be first on the pre-order list!

Until then, the black will remain in my bag. I don't like the way it feels, but it's tolerable. It's the most reliable putter I've ever had inside of 8'-10'. Outside of that distance, I don't really make more putts with it than anything else... but my misses are closer to the hole. More tap-ins = less stress = fun golf.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I doubt that's possible.

Part of what makes this putter so great is the high MOI, and a one piece/one material milled construction will most likely through that off by quite a bit.

That said, if TaylorMade (or any other company, for that matter) can make a Spider-esque slant neck putter, with the MOI and performance characteristics of the Spider Tour, AND somehow figure out how to make it sound/feel like an old Anser with a sound slot, then I will be first on the pre-order list!

Until then, the black will remain in my bag. I don't like the way it feels, but it's tolerable. It's the most reliable putter I've ever had inside of 8'-10'. Outside of that distance, I don't really make more putts with it than anything else... but my misses are closer to the hole. More tap-ins = less stress = fun golf.

I said the same a few pages back in this thread. I found it fantastic from 6 feet in but my lag putting with it was a atrocious.

I understand what you’re saying in relation to how its constructed and the MOI but didn’t Odyssey bring out a millled 2 Ball protype a few years back? I never gamed it but I remember it feeling nicer than any 2 Ball insert. As you probably aware, the 2 Ball also has that MOI shape. I’m sure Taylormade could make a slant neck milled Spider with a good feel if they wanted to. Here’s hoping anyway.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I said the same a few pages back in this thread. I found it fantastic from 6 feet in but my lag putting with it was a atrocious.

I understand what you’re saying in relation to how its constructed and the MOI but didn’t Odyssey bring out a millled 2 Ball protype a few years back? I never gamed it but I remember it feeling nicer than any 2 Ball insert. As you probably aware, the 2 Ball also has that MOI shape. I’m sure Taylormade could make a slant neck milled Spider with a good feel if they wanted to. Here’s hoping anyway.

MOI is not a head shape... it’s a center of gravity thing. In a putter, for the most part, the farther away/behind the center of the face you can get the CG, the higher the MOI will be (I know there’s a lot of technical stuff involved here, but I’m keeping it simple).

The Spider has a high MOI because of all the weight out in the “wings” of the putter. It’s the same concept with the Scotty Cameron putter like Adam Scott uses. The 2-ball head shape is more of an alignment aid, than a way to raise the putters MOI.

If TM went to a one piece milled face, the face area would be heavier than the insert/adhesive that’s currently there. That would move the CG forward and lower the MOI, so the performance may suffer. Not sure if an Odyssey EXO-style redesign could remove enough weight from other parts of the putter to compensate for this, but I doubt that making a firmer feeling putter isn’t in the priority list for TM right now.

With all of the people who are in love with the marshmallow soft feeling of... well... everything, we are definitely in the minority.

FWIW, my lag putting wasn’t good with this thing out of the gate either, but it’s nothing that a couple hours on the practice green didn’t tighten up.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

MOI is not a head shape... it’s a center of gravity thing. In a putter, for the most part, the farther away/behind the center of the face you can get the CG, the higher the MOI will be (I know there’s a lot of technical stuff involved here, but I’m keeping it simple).

The Spider has a high MOI because of all the weight out in the “wings” of the putter. It’s the same concept with the Scotty Cameron putter like Adam Scott uses. The 2-ball head shape is more of an alignment aid, than a way to raise the putters MOI.

If TM went to a one piece milled face, the face area would be heavier than the insert/adhesive that’s currently there. That would move the CG forward and lower the MOI, so the performance may suffer. Not sure if an Odyssey EXO-style redesign could remove enough weight from other parts of the putter to compensate for this, but I doubt that making a firmer feeling putter isn’t in the priority list for TM right now.

With all of the people who are in love with the marshmallow soft feeling of... well... everything, we are definitely in the minority.

FWIW, my lag putting wasn’t good with this thing out of the gate either, but it’s nothing that a couple hours on the practice green didn’t tighten up.

Man. You’re gaming the spider with all those stunning putters you have in your stable?

I understand what you're saying in relation to how its constructed and the MOI but didn't Odyssey bring out a millled 2 Ball protype a few years back? I never gamed it but I remember it feeling nicer than any 2 Ball insert. As you probably aware, the 2 Ball also has that MOI shape. I'm sure Taylormade could make a slant neck milled Spider with a good feel if they wanted to. Here's hoping anyway.

MOI is not a head shape... it's a center of gravity thing. In a putter, for the most part, the farther away/behind the center of the face you can get the CG, the higher the MOI will be (I know there's a lot of technical stuff involved here, but I'm keeping it simple).

The Spider has a high MOI because of all the weight out in the "wings" of the putter. It's the same concept with the Scotty Cameron putter like Adam Scott uses. The 2-ball head shape is more of an alignment aid, than a way to raise the putters MOI.

If TM went to a one piece milled face, the face area would be heavier than the insert/adhesive that's currently there. That would move the CG forward and lower the MOI, so the performance may suffer. Not sure if an Odyssey EXO-style redesign could remove enough weight from other parts of the putter to compensate for this, but I doubt that making a firmer feeling putter isn't in the priority list for TM right now.

FWIW, my lag putting wasn't good with this thing out of the gate either, but it's nothing that a couple hours on the practice green didn't tighten up.

Man. You're gaming the spider with all those stunning putters you have in your stable?

I don't want to... trust me, I've tried to get it out of the bag quite a few times.

It looks worse, sounds worse and feels worse than any other putter I own (by a pretty large margin)... and it has never made me smile when I look at it... not even once. But it puts the ball in the hole more often than any of them.

When I go out to have fun, I have my pick of amazing flatsticks. When it's an important round, or it's tournament time, the Spider Tour black is in the bag.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

I understand what you're saying in relation to how its constructed and the MOI but didn't Odyssey bring out a millled 2 Ball protype a few years back? I never gamed it but I remember it feeling nicer than any 2 Ball insert. As you probably aware, the 2 Ball also has that MOI shape. I'm sure Taylormade could make a slant neck milled Spider with a good feel if they wanted to. Here's hoping anyway.

MOI is not a head shape... it's a center of gravity thing. In a putter, for the most part, the farther away/behind the center of the face you can get the CG, the higher the MOI will be (I know there's a lot of technical stuff involved here, but I'm keeping it simple).

The Spider has a high MOI because of all the weight out in the "wings" of the putter. It's the same concept with the Scotty Cameron putter like Adam Scott uses. The 2-ball head shape is more of an alignment aid, than a way to raise the putters MOI.

If TM went to a one piece milled face, the face area would be heavier than the insert/adhesive that's currently there. That would move the CG forward and lower the MOI, so the performance may suffer. Not sure if an Odyssey EXO-style redesign could remove enough weight from other parts of the putter to compensate for this, but I doubt that making a firmer feeling putter isn't in the priority list for TM right now.

FWIW, my lag putting wasn't good with this thing out of the gate either, but it's nothing that a couple hours on the practice green didn't tighten up.

Man. You're gaming the spider with all those stunning putters you have in your stable?

I don't want to... trust me, I've tried to get it out of the bag quite a few times.

It looks worse, sounds worse and feels worse than any other putter I own (by a pretty large margin)... and it has never made me smile when I look at it... not even once. But it puts the ball in the hole more often than any of them.

When I go out to have fun, I have my pick of amazing flatsticks. When it's an important round, or it's tournament time, the Spider Tour black is in the bag.

Haha. I think that is the best endorsement I have seen for the spider. .... sort of.

That’s fair enough and you definitely know more about this than me. Thanks for the info.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Had about an hour long session with the CS spider today at golf town.

Think I am going to stay with my DJ model. Just seems more forgiving for my stroke. If my stroke gets out of SBST I hit hook putts

DJ one fits me better

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

One might say MOI is not a "center of gravity" thing but a perimeter weighted thing. Less weight in the sweet spot equals more weight around the perimeter. The weight in the wings enhances the perimeter weighting and thus the MOI.

Weight BACK is more a forgiveness factor on a driver, with a very high swing speed, than a putter IMO.

Yes, a milled head would weigh more than the light weight insert but I expect they could "scoop out" much of the area behind the SS enhancing MOI while still having the milled head, a la the anser type blades.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Winn AVS midsize? Believe it's 75 grams

Yeah... can't find anything on that specific grip. Is it the same as the excel medalist? That one is 75 grams.

http://www.winngrips...-midsize/black/

I have spoken to about 3 different reps at TM regarding their WINN AVS black midsize pistol grip. All of them said the exact same thing, that it weighs 52 grams. It is slightly different than the Excel version sold everywhere else in weight and size. While the look and texture remain the same.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Yeah... can't find anything on that specific grip. Is it the same as the excel medalist? That one is 75 grams.

I have spoken to about 3 different reps at TM regarding their WINN AVS black midsize pistol grip. All of them said the exact same thing, that it weighs 52 grams. It is slightly different than the Excel version sold everywhere else in weight and size. While the look and texture remain the same.

Are you sure you don't mean the standard size? Having had multiple Winn AVS and Excel grips, none of the midsizes have ever come in at under 70g.

One might say MOI is not a "center of gravity" thing but a perimeter weighted thing. Less weight in the sweet spot equals more weight around the perimeter. The weight in the wings enhances the perimeter weighting and thus the MOI.

Weight BACK is more a forgiveness factor on a driver, with a very high swing speed, than a putter IMO.

Yes, a milled head would weigh more than the light weight insert but I expect they could "scoop out" much of the area behind the SS enhancing MOI while still having the milled head, a la the anser type blades.

I get what you're saying, but if weight back doesn't add to forgiveness in a putter, then why are do so many of the high MOI putters also move the weight back away from the face? If it doesn't enhance MOI, it sure does enhance stability.

As for the milled head thing, the spider already has a "scooped out" design. The putter head is already hollow.

In looking into more details, I was actually surprised to learn how much weight savings actually exists in the face insert. A SpryEvo milled aircraft aluminum insert adds 10-20 grams of weight to an Odyssey putter, depending on insert size and shape... and that's just aluminum... imagine if you were filling that space with carbon or stainless steel! The copper inserts add 30-60 grams, so a one piece stainless face in place of the current insert would most likely add 20-40 grams to the putter, right where you wouldn't want to add weight to a high MOI design. That's a lot of weight to redistribute.

I'm actually thinking of asking him for a carbon fiber insert for the spider. I bet that would give a more crisp sound, but not sure how it would affect the roll (if any).

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Not good our boy DJ is testing out 4 putters this week!

What a Ho #wrxstrong

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

has anyone changed the weights in their black/red? Thinking of getting a weight pack and experimenting a little bit.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Are you sure you don't mean the standard size? Having had multiple Winn AVS and Excel grips, none of the midsizes have ever come in at under 70g.

It was straight from Taylormade, and I asked and made sure that we are talking about the same grip. If you go to the Taylormade website and try to customize one of the TP blade putters, you have only 2 choices for no upcharge WINN grips. WINN AVS black midsize, and a spider tour. All of the reps told me that it weighs 52 grams. They said it may not be quite as large as the OEM Excel version, but still definitely considered midsize.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

The heads are all the same physical size from what I can tell. Weighting and inserts are slightly different along with the shafts, and grips

Tour Black - 355g head with toe hang and firmer insert than red

Tour Red - 355g head with toe hang and softer insert than black

Tour Platinum - 360g head and face balanced with pure roll insert

Tour Limited Red - same as Platinum

Limited 2016 - same as Platinum

I just picked up the Tour Platinum today.It took me while to figure out all the differences and could not make up my mind on what to go with. I really wanted to like the the tour black/red but i did not like aligning with it as it twists and does not stay square when placed next to ball. They all are pretty sweet. The best thing to do is go and try them all out as the subtle differences are quite noticeable.

Can you please tell me how does the pure roll insert in the Tour Platinum compares to the firmer black insert and softer red insert?

I have the DJ version and it looks awesome at address but for some reason I tend to pull some putts with it that I don't normally pull with blade style.

has anyone changed the weights in their black/red? Thinking of getting a weight pack and experimenting a little bit.

I did'nt get any weights with the DJ version I bought.

i have a 6g weight on the toe and 4g on the heel with my 2017 Tour Black. SBST and never looked back at my Scotty(s).

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Anyone have any thoughts on what the transition from the black Scotty Newport (no lines) blade to the Spider black slant neck would be like, as it relates to the stroke? I practice my stroke with the putting arc, and prefer having no sightline on my putter. Is there any noticeable difference between a slant and L neck besides the slightly more toe hang? It would be nice if they had the black, sightless, L-neck.

i have a 6g weight on the toe and 4g on the heel with my 2017 Tour Black. SBST and never looked back at my Scotty(s).

Very interesting setup. Never thought about different weights affecting the face rotation. Something to think about.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I'm happy to see this putter works so well for most people.

Most difficult putter to get used to ever in my life - after 3 months I had to let it go.

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS