2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How long until we see the first 40 degree wedge???

Cornwall1888

I have a set of 1961 Wilson Staff DynaPower irons. They have a 40 degree wedge - it has a number 8 on the sole...

If they're really set at 1961 lofts, you're probably closer to the "7" being that loft. Pitching wedges were 52° or even 53° in the 50s and early 60s. Dependent on the individual sets, that is.

True. Length is pretty close to today's PW as well.

Oh, and they are like E5 SW...

In these times of high launch low spin irons companies are making to gain more 'distance' how long until we see the first 40* pitching wedge and have to buy 3 gap wedges?

Titleist aleady have a 43* pitching wedge and their sets can be order with 2 gap wedges 47* and 51*

Manufacturers are now making the 4 iron a thing of the past with their 23* 5 irons

At this rate I think we'll see it as early as 2020

Bridgestone already did it with their JGR Hybrid Forged Irons. 38* PW and 44* PW2

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/clubs/irons/jgr-hybrid-forged

It all has to do with the six iron, or what is now the seven. So that when you bring your current club in to compare to a potential new set you hit the new one ten yards further, since you are swinging a short six iron with a seven stamped on it. And yes I believe it will get to a forty degree pw. I think the m2 is the strongest lofted set to date, the seven is a five degree loft. This is also why there is five or even six degrees of separation at the short end or else you would need to carry more clubs.

Who cares though? I can't say I have ever bought irons based on how far I hit them. I am look for how consistent I can hit them.

In these times of high launch low spin irons companies are making to gain more 'distance' how long until we see the first 40* pitching wedge and have to buy 3 gap wedges?

Titleist aleady have a 43* pitching wedge and their sets can be order with 2 gap wedges 47* and 51*

Manufacturers are now making the 4 iron a thing of the past with their 23* 5 irons

Bridgestone already did it with their JGR Hybrid Forged Irons. 38* PW and 44* PW2

This can't be real life. That's insane. Do yourself a favor and looks at the loft specs he just posted. Incredible....

This can't be real life. That's insane. Do yourself a favor and looks at the loft specs he just posted. Incredible....

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen, not 40 but 38!!!

The symbol stamped on the bottom is irrelevant if you understand loft is king but for some consumers they believe the irons are 'hotter'

Doesn't matter to me what loft a club is. All I want to know is how far I hit it.

Really that's all that matters about a particular club is how far you can hit it, but just the same I think it is silly to stamp the iron number on the bottom and not just the loft. I think the Loft number is the appropriate thing to be on an iron, then you can figure out how far each lofted club will go.

Well you've fallen for their marketing. The Ping Eye2 irons were released in 1983 and you would most likely be buying a 3-PW set. The Callaway Apex CF 16 were released in 2016 and you would've been buying a 4-AW set. What's the loft range of those clubs?

Ping Eye2: 21.5° through 50.5°

Callaway Apex CF 16: 21.5° through 50°

So if things have changed so much on how the clubs are launching higher with lower spin, why are clubs being sold in the exact same loft range since 1983? You've fallen to their marketing in thinking that the clubs are actually going a lot further when in reality you're just hitting a club that's an extra club in loft. We're buying clubs in the exact same loft range as we were 25 years ago. If I were playing Ping Eye2 the whole way down, I'd have 3-SW which would get me 21.5° through 57.5°. I currently play 4-LW which is 23° through 58°. I have an extra wedge in there but that's only because the Eye2 goes from 50.5° to 57.5° which is just too big of a gap for me. I currently play 50°/54°/58°.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade

I can't go a weekend without some guy hitting a shot 175 (and usually 40 yards sideways), and flipping the club over to show me they hit 9-iron.

Sure, but is that grounds enough for divorce?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm hoping we just get lofts on the bottom of clubs.

^^^^^^^

This is what I am hoping for.

Buy some Hogans

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Well you've fallen for their marketing. The Ping Eye2 irons were released in 1983 and you would most likely be buying a 3-PW set. The Callaway Apex CF 16 were released in 2016 and you would've been buying a 4-AW set. What's the loft range of those clubs?

So if things have changed so much on how the clubs are launching higher with lower spin, why are clubs being sold in the exact same loft range since 1983? You've fallen to their marketing in thinking that the clubs are actually going a lot further when in reality you're just hitting a club that's an extra club in loft. We're buying clubs in the exact same loft range as we were 25 years ago. If I were playing Ping Eye2 the whole way down, I'd have 3-SW which would get me 21.5° through 57.5°. I currently play 4-LW which is 23° through 58°. I have an extra wedge in there but that's only because the Eye2 goes from 50.5° to 57.5° which is just too big of a gap for me. I currently play 50°/54°/58°.

Spot on. No one has piped in with the "you just don't understand that the manufacturers had to lower the loft to adjust for the high flying shaft" excuse yet. But it is coming.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

What bothers me most is the guys who hit their 12 degree driver 235 and hit their 29' "7-iron" 185 and think they're some sort of LD contestant. Drives me NUTS.

I honestly don't understand why this bothers you, or anyone else, so much. They're not cheating or anything.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Spot on. No one has piped in with the "you just don't understand that the manufacturers had to lower the loft to adjust for the high flying shaft" excuse yet. But it is coming.

Likely won't be long. I'll take Tom Wishons explantation on it. But what does he know?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1404744-modern-lofts-what-the-major-oems-have-actually-accomplished/page__st__30#entry14481870

Ego may play a part in the whole loft debate. For example, the M2 5-iron is 21.5 degrees, a more traditionally lofted 5-iron may be 27º - 29º. Sure, the M2 player can claim he hit 5-iron while another player with more traditionally lofted irons will hit a 3-iron or some kind of hybrid. So what? The scorecard couldn't care less what club a player uses.

If a guy feels better about himself because he hits his new 5-iron 10 to 15 yards longer, so what? When people tell me how much longer they hit their new irons I don't have the heart to tell them how the loft that, for example, 5-iron is closer to a 3-iron in loft.

It all has to do with the six iron, or what is now the seven. So that when you bring your current club in to compare to a potential new set you hit the new one ten yards further, since you are swinging a short six iron with a seven stamped on it. And yes I believe it will get to a forty degree pw. I think the m2 is the strongest lofted set to date, the seven is a five degree loft. This is also why there is five or even six degrees of separation at the short end or else you would need to carry more clubs.

Who cares though? I can't say I have ever bought irons based on how far I hit them. I am look for how consistent I can hit them.

Yes. I don't think the scorecard cares if your 5-iron is 21.5º (M2), or 27º (Ping G10).

Doesn't matter to me what loft a club is. All I want to know is how far I hit it.

Really that's all that matters about a particular club is how far you can hit it, but just the same I think it is silly to stamp the iron number on the bottom and not just the loft. I think the Loft number is the appropriate thing to be on an iron, then you can figure out how far each lofted club will go.

I always liked that idea...however the OEMs would never go for it because how can they claim more distance?

This is a "male" problem. Not once in 25 years of playing have I ever had another woman show me the sole of her club to make a point out of how far they hit it.

I can't go a weekend without some guy hitting a shot 175 (and usually 40 yards sideways), and flipping the club over to show me they hit 9-iron.

I think the 14 club limit will eventually end the strong loft problem. Until then, the ability to resist marketing and the male ego are your problems.

Yes indeed. They used to hit their old 5-iron 160 (27º), and now hit it 180 (21.5º). I never tell them that the lofts of their new clubs are considerably different from their old clubs.

The amount of ego I see in golf amazes me: from what tees to play, to the vast overestimation of how far people hit their clubs, to the kinds of clubs people play, and the like.

The goal in golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. For many, I think scoring is secondary to other ego generated priorities. Males are very fragile creatures who's egos bruise easily. Which is a bit ironic...if one is ego bound, than he doesn't feel very secure in his masculinity in the first place.

The OEMs know that people will buy a 5-PW set along with a GW, SW, and LW. Add a putter, a driver, a 4W, and a couple of hybrids and all gaps should be covered - and egos remain intact.

So long as the user knows what "number club" to pull what they put on the bottom of it really doesn't matter.

But...

With the number of restrictions the governing bodies have placed on equipment I am sort of surprised that they don't go ahead and give clear definitions of what constitutes each club to stop this madness; name of club (number) and a reasonable loft range. (PW: 45 to 48 degrees for example) This would control the really silly things happening with equipment.

They limit the size, MOI, COR, long putters, and grooves. Why not also openly state what constitutes the various irons regarding loft?

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The OEMs know that people will buy a 5-PW set along with a GW, SW, and LW. Add a putter, a driver, a 4W, and a couple of hybrids and all gaps should be covered - and egos remain intact.

So long as the user knows what "number club" to pull what they put on the bottom of it really doesn't matter.

But...

With the number of restrictions the governing bodies have placed on equipment I am sort of surprised that they don't go ahead and give clear definitions of what constitutes each club to stop this madness; name of club (number) and a reasonable loft range. (PW: 45 to 48 degrees for example) This would control the really silly things happening with equipment.

They limit the size, MOI, COR, long putters, and grooves. Why not also openly state what constitutes the various irons regarding loft?

What I also wonder is how many amateurs can hit a 5-iron with 21.5º of loft...and most get sets beginning with a 4-iron! The irons I currently have are actually a bit weaker than my previous irons, yet my 6-iron used to be a 5-iron. Most amateurs would probably be better served with starting their iron set with a 6-iron...given how strong lofts are these days.

But...

What I also wonder is how many amateurs can hit a 5-iron with 21.5º of loft...and most get sets beginning with a 4-iron! The irons I currently have are actually a bit weaker than my previous irons, yet my 6-iron used to be a 5-iron. Most amateurs would probably be better served with starting their iron set with a 6-iron...given how strong lofts are these days.

Dead on, Sean. I have tremendous confidence right up to and including my 5 iron. When I pull 4, based on history, I know it's a 50-50 chance that the shot is going to be flush. I carry my 4 mainly because I love hooding it down and keeping it low when necessary. (Which I practice and can do almost every time I pull it for that reason)

The other thing that is amazing is how many wedges are carried now. I have 4 in my bag. And I use all 4 constantly. In reality there isn't a club in my bag that doesn't get used frequently and freely. But there is only one that I don't "like" pulling. And you know which on it is now. I have a 4H but can't keep it as low as well if that makes sense. It's me, not the equipment. But I did manage to win a CTP with my 4 last month in a tourney on a 193 yard hole. So it has earned it's way staying in. : )

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

But...

Dead on, Sean. I have tremendous confidence right up to and including my 5 iron. When I pull 4, based on history, I know it's a 50-50 chance that the shot is going to be flush. I carry my 4 mainly because I love hooding it down and keeping it low when necessary. (Which I practice and can do almost every time I pull it for that reason)

The other thing that is amazing is how many wedges are carried now. I have 4 in my bag. And I use all 4 constantly. In reality there isn't a club in my bag that doesn't get used frequently and freely. But there is only one that I don't "like" pulling. And you know which on it is now. I have a 4H but can't keep it as low as well if that makes sense. It's me, not the equipment. But I did manage to win a CTP with my 4 last month in a tourney on a 193 yard hole. So it has earned it's way staying in. : )

I have 5 wedges Jim. 5. And the lofts of my new clubs are actually a bit weaker than my previous ones. I have a 45/50/54/58/62. I practice my short game incessantly (1.5 to 2 hours a day weather permitting), so I feel very comfortable with all these wedges. I need to start spending more time on the full swing.

ps: congratulations on CTP! :-)

LMAO so we need "rules" on what club is an iron and what club is a wedge?

Not sure I follow that. They're all irons with various degrees of loft, now matter how ridiculous.

I went to a course that had a "roller burger." It was hamburger meat that they could roll on the hot dog machine. A few of us ate it and didn't care what it was called...