2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pat Perez - You Don't Know Me

acy274

Greatness in sports, business etc... If people want to argue that they lend themselves to a higher percentage of people with psychopathic needs to dominate and win at everything, you'll get no argument from me on that because I believe it's true. But it also doesn't mean that everyone is like that ( have met enough people that are not), or that being an A-hole is something to be celebrated because it's the only way to succeed, because that I don't believe to be true.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I make the comment about narcissism, and any of you that have competed at a high level, whether it be academically, athletics or professionally have seen this and know of what I speak...

Richard, you nailed it. I touched greatness for about a year. I couldn't maintain it. It is unadulterated, pure, selfishness. I got called all kinds of names by competitors and teammates.

Bowling events are structured for team, singles, and doubles events to start the event. The individuals with most pinfall across all three events participate in match play. I advanced to match play in a Tier One event. During one of the matches, one of my teammates (a jealous b**** who didn't want to work hard to be good) sat down behind one of my competitors and openly cheered for my opponent. The best part was, after I WON, I walked by him and said "that HAD to hurt."

Huzzah, Pat Perez. Huzzah!!!

I have a few "accomplishments". I don't talk about them. I don't see the point.

You don’t know me either Pat…and I’m OK with that…

I was born in Peru, Illinois in 1957. Neither of my parents had a high school education and my Mom was the only Caucasian in Farragut High School in Chicago in the 1940’s. There she learned how to be extremely tough mentally. Five of us lived in a 900 square foot house with a flat roof. I share that because kids gave me grief about that throughout the time I lived there. It was the only house in the town of 7,000 people that had a flat roof.

My first job was when I was 8 years old delivering morning papers. I worked 7 days a week and made $6.00/week. I got up at 4AM because the papers needed to be delivered by 6AM. During the winter when it was freezing cold or snowy, my Dad got up, even though he got home from work at Midnight, and drove me around to deliver the papers.

Hand me down clothes were a given and the knees of my pants were sewn back up many times because that’s what we had to do. School was 2 miles away, and we walked. But it was flat ground as opposed to uphill both ways.

Golf? That’s what the rich people did and we were living barely above the poverty level for many years.

When I told my parents I was going to college, they asked how I was going to pay for it. At the age of 17, I went to a bank in my best clothes and got a loan. The loan officer was Jim Erlenborn and he was dressed in a sharp suit. I had 3 years to pay the loan back, I did it in 1 because in addition to taking a full-time load in college, I worked a 70 hour per week job.

But you know Pat, in spite of growing up financially challenged, I was and am the most well off person you could ever imagine. My parents bestowed upon us the gifts of morals, ethics, values and taught us to respect others. They taught us to think independently, creatively and to out work others in order to succeed.

Those gifts far exceeded anything monetarily that my parents could ever have done. I don’t need to share my life’s accomplishments with you because the people close to my heart, my sons and my friends, know the road traveled to get here. They know the risks I’ve taken by betting on myself, they know the hours worked yet to this day. They also know my sons, some of the best people in the world who have those same values that were given to me. Today through our company that we started from the ground up, we make a difference in the lives of individuals and family who need assistance with their health.

Golf is a blessing Pat. And while you’re blessed with more talent than I could dream to have, I love the game every bit as much as you do…and possibly more. I know I respect it and all the people associated with the game more.

So you know what Pat…you don’t need to tell people they don’t know you. You need to tell everyone who enhances your life on and off the golf course thank you for everything they do for you. You need to respect the fans who make it possible for you to earn a living playing golf, you need to thank your parents, instructors, the kids who work at the various courses and so many others.

Let the next article written about your be titled…”Pat Perez is an Awesome Guy!”

When I make the comment about narcissism, and any of you that have competed at a high level, whether it be academically, athletics or professionally have seen this and know of what I speak...

Richard, you nailed it. I touched greatness for about a year. I couldn't maintain it. It is unadulterated, pure, selfishness. I got called all kinds of names by competitors and teammates.

Bowling events are structured for team, singles, and doubles events to start the event. The individuals with most pinfall across all three events participate in match play. I advanced to match play in a Tier One event. During one of the matches, one of my teammates (a jealous b**** who didn't want to work hard to be good) sat down behind one of my competitors and openly cheered for my opponent. The best part was, after I WON, I walked by him and said "that HAD to hurt."

I don't see your point.

I was born in Peru, Illinois in 1957. Neither of my parents had a high school education and my Mom was the only Caucasian in Farragut High School in Chicago in the 1940’s. There she learned how to be extremely tough mentally. Five of us lived in a 900 square foot house with a flat roof. I share that because kids gave me grief about that throughout the time I lived there. It was the only house in the town of 7,000 people that had a flat roof.

My first job was when I was 8 years old delivering morning papers. I worked 7 days a week and made $6.00/week. I got up at 4AM because the papers needed to be delivered by 6AM. During the winter when it was freezing cold or snowy, my Dad got up, even though he got home from work at Midnight, and drove me around to deliver the papers.

Hand me down clothes were a given and the knees of my pants were sewn back up many times because that’s what we had to do. School was 2 miles away, and we walked. But it was flat ground as opposed to uphill both ways.

Golf? That’s what the rich people did and we were living barely above the poverty level for many years.

When I told my parents I was going to college, they asked how I was going to pay for it. At the age of 17, I went to a bank in my best clothes and got a loan. The loan officer was Jim Erlenborn and he was dressed in a sharp suit. I had 3 years to pay the loan back, I did it in 1 because in addition to taking a full-time load in college, I worked a 70 hour per week job.

But you know Pat, in spite of growing up financially challenged, I was and am the most well off person you could ever imagine. My parents bestowed upon us the gifts of morals, ethics, values and taught us to respect others. They taught us to think independently, creatively and to out work others in order to succeed.

Those gifts far exceeded anything monetarily that my parents could ever have done. I don’t need to share my life’s accomplishments with you because the people close to my heart, my sons and my friends, know the road traveled to get here. They know the risks I’ve taken by betting on myself, they know the hours worked yet to this day. They also know my sons, some of the best people in the world who have those same values that were given to me. Today through our company that we started from the ground up, we make a difference in the lives of individuals and family who need assistance with their health.

Golf is a blessing Pat. And while you’re blessed with more talent than I could dream to have, I love the game every bit as much as you do…and possibly more. I know I respect it and all the people associated with the game more.

So you know what Pat…you don’t need to tell people they don’t know you. You need to tell everyone who enhances your life on and off the golf course thank you for everything they do for you. You need to respect the fans who make it possible for you to earn a living playing golf, you need to thank your parents, instructors, the kids who work at the various courses and so many others.

Let the next article written about your be titled…”Pat Perez is an Awesome Guy!”

Awesome!

A sense of appreciation and gratitude and the willingness to pass it further down the line is how true accomplishment is measured!

I'm going with option NPD:

A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance.

Rare

Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year

Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging not required

Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

Consult a doctor for medical advice

A rare disorder? I think it's sweeping the nation.

"Sweeping the nation????"

Bro, I'm sitting in a room as I type this and I would say that 6 of the 8 of us present suffer from varying levels and degrees of this disorder, starting with the doc standing right in front of me talking about his sorry *** putting stroke and he's oblivious to the fact that I am looking at my phone screen 90% of this past 2 minutes, and I occasionally look up and chirp, "right" or "yep," every so often to give the impression that I GAF ;)

Is talking to hear the tone of your voice systemic of this condition?

Jesuzzzzz, this poor ******* may be terminal ;)

And his putting stroke sucks to boot, lol

Hey, I don't care as long as he cures me, lol

Yep, our society is doomed?

Stay well My Friend ?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

8d99bc61005ec173d3a7e988aaefdc37db64dc1663dbbc239e5072001afa4905.jpg

I knew I liked you for a reason ; )

We were so poor my mom once cut holes in my pockets for Christmas so I had something to play with!

Sorry. :(

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

You should expound on this story and publish it in the players tribune or whatever it's called.

You could tell the story about how you got your first pair of bowling shoes out of a dumpster, or you beat Earl Anthony that one time. People WILL recognize your greatness.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Greatness in sports, business etc... If people want to argue that they lend themselves to a higher percentage of people with psychopathic needs to dominate and win at everything, you'll get no argument from me on that because I believe it's true. But it also doesn't mean that everyone is like that ( have met enough people that are not), or that being an A-hole is something to be celebrated because it's the only way to succeed, because that I don't believe to be true.

For every person who can "dominate and win at everything" and is an SOB, there are 10 SOBs that criticize that person, that never dominated or won at anything. Not because of LOFT. Because they never put in the time and effort...

You should expound on this story and publish it in the players tribune or whatever it's called.

You could tell the story about how you got your first pair of bowling shoes out of a dumpster, or you beat Earl Anthony that one time. People WILL recognize your greatness.

Well at least you hit on one thing. One of the long-time posters here and on another site I used to visit used to say "Where you stand is often a function of where you sit."

By most of our standards, Perez had a comfortable upbringing. But, by the standards of where he was brought up, my guess is he was lower class. At least that was his perception. (It was also my perception of my own upbringing.) Guessing: He used that to motivate himself. Was he wrong? I wonder how many of the kids he competed against had their gamers, a backup set, and the set they kept at the lake home? Probably quite a few. I'm not from there, but succeeding in SoCal junior golf had to be pretty tough if mumsy and dadsy didn't have a country club membership or four...

I'm going with option NPD:

A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance.

Rare

Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year

Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging not required

Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

Consult a doctor for medical advice

A rare disorder? I think it's sweeping the nation.

"Sweeping the nation????"

Bro, I'm sitting in a room as I type this and I would say that 6 of the 8 of us present suffer from varying levels and degrees of this disorder, starting with the doc standing right in front of me talking about his sorry *** putting stroke and he's oblivious to the fact that I am looking at my phone screen 90% of this past 2 minutes, and I occasionally look up and chirp, "right" or "yep," every so often to give the impression that I GAF ;)

Is talking to hear the tone of your voice systemic of this condition?

Jesuzzzzz, this poor ******* may be terminal ;)

And his putting stroke sucks to boot, lol

Hey, I don't care as long as he cures me, lol

Yep, our society is doomed?

Stay well My Friend ?

All the Best,

RP

Lol.. youz guys are killin' me here...

I think the 200k is low as well.. but then I realized.. how many narcissists go in to get evaluated and diagnosed? Probably only the ones in marriage counseling. :)

A good friend called me a narcissist the other day. So, of course, I believe that all cool, intelligent, good looking and successful people are a bit narcissistic. And humble too.. ;)

The difference is, it's only a part of my personality. It seems to *define* PPs personality. I'm glad his wife is helping him center. Most of us are better people with a good person beside us.

THIS is quite likely THE Finest post that I have read in my time on this or any other board!!

Now I reeeeeally feel like a dick ;)

Very Nicely Played?️

Have a great weekend?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

If you want people to know the real you then you dont have to write an article refuting what people think about you. You live as your true self.

If people respond negatively to your behavior you accept it. You don't have to care about it, but you accept it.

I don't know what Pat Perez is all about and don't care. If he wants to draw attention to himself -- it's a free country. I just don't get what other purpose he has for writing this. And if the answer is "helps sell magazines" then fair enough.

I read the article and have the same exact response. I don't get what he wrote the article for. It basically told me nothing about who Pat Perez really is.

He says I don't know him and that is correct. I don't know him and will probably never meet him so the only way I have to form any opinion is from what I read about him or from hearing him speak or by observing his actions when he happens to be on TV. From that, he is not high on my list of people who I have a desire to meet.

For every person who can "dominate and win at everything" and is an SOB, there are 10 SOBs that criticize that person, that never dominated or won at anything. Not because of LOFT. Because they never put in the time and effort...

There are significantly more people in the latter group overall, so it's probably greater than 10 to 1

I never said average performers couldn't be a-holes too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Richard's a good guy and shows he is a good judge of character.

Like I said. I'm not going to meet Pat Perez, he doesn't impact my life, so don't care what he does. But, a man is the full compliment of his choices and behaviors. Most of us are a little of this and a little of that. Maybe Pat is too.

But Richard, there are people we can get along great with who treat people like absolute sh**. Maybe Pat does, maybe he doesn't.

18 holes & pints afterwards: PP or BP? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

There are significantly more people in the latter group overall, so it's probably greater than 10 to 1

I do not believe that Gales or a single individual here has said that an "A-hole is something to be celebrated" and no one is claiming that possessing "psychiatric needs" lends itself to greatness.

If you are referring to the use of "narcissism" and all if its derivatives, this is proven in the medical/psychological literature and is accepted within the medical community with no argument or disagreement whatsoever, and not just performers at the highest levels however most if not ALL humans possess this trait, it is just how, when and in what abundance that one displays it-

Regards,

RP

I do not believe that Gales or a single individual here has said that an "A-hole is something to be celebrated" and no one is claiming that possessing "psychiatric needs" lends itself to greatness.

If you are referring to the use of "narcissism" and all if its derivatives, this is proven in the medical/psychological literature and is accepted within the medical community with no argument or disagreement whatsoever, and not just performers at the highest levels however most if not ALL humans possess this trait, it is just how, when and in what abundance that one displays it-

Regards,

RP

In the various threads we've had about this subject, whether it be PP or other, there does seem to be a lot of belief that in order to be that successful (pro caliber) you need to be this ruthless, win at all costs, Michael Jordan fighting over ping pong type person. And that we should just accept that and celebrate them for their talent.

I think there are plenty of successful people who maintain good life balance. I have met several. I think an A-hole is an A-hole no matter how successful they are, and I don't like a-holes

Are relentlessly driven, socially awkward (due to this) types more likely to succeed at very high levels, I would probably say yes because a pathological need to succeed probably dors give you a better chance at success. It just doesn't mean all are like that

Not all of the above necessarily applies to PP. We're probably going off topic a bit

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Richard's a good guy and shows he is a good judge of character.

Like I said. I'm not going to meet Pat Perez, he doesn't impact my life, so don't care what he does. But, a man is the full compliment of his choices and behaviors. Most of us are a little of this and a little of that. Maybe Pat is too.

But Richard, there are people we can get along great with who treat people like absolute sh**. Maybe Pat does, maybe he doesn't.

I also am human and tend to rationalize and defend those that I like and consider Friends, though I would consider Pat an acquaintance versus a friend. I was speaking to a couple of guys off of the board about this and all that I really want to say and I believe that I've said it before however if not, I believe that his current wife is the single greatest thing that has ever happened to him.

Some people have to have an internal "foe" or adversary to keep the fire burning or as is more often the case, to take their psyche to the level and intensity that is required to perform at a Championship level, regardless of the activity or arena. They need that chip on their shoulder that sometimes their everyday lives or those in their everyday lives do not provide so they manufacture, create or embellish their adversaries or situations to give them the fire needed to compete.

I won't speak to others though I had two images that drive me, one an individual and the other an individual/situation and the reality was enough so that I did not have to make the mental images something more than they were.

Patrick needs a chip and maybe he needs to embellish/magnify it to get where he needs to be, I don't know as we never discussed this though if the article is accurate, and since it's his story in his words I would think that it is, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

For some people, it takes either an individual or a situation/occurrence to make them change, "see the light" and become a better person-

For Pat, Ashley was that person. His first marriage ended in divorce and it crushed him as it came out of nowhere and he was not expecting it nor did he deal with it well. I cannot say a word because I know that had I been in his shoes, in this situation, it would have been been crushing-

Look, ya either like the guy or you don't

He's easy to like and he's easy to dislike-

But one thing that I will say is that you will not be on the fence with Pat Perez?

All the Best,

RP

Regards,

RP

In the various threads we've had about this subject, whether it be PP or other, there does seem to be a lot of belief that in order to be that successful (pro caliber) you need to be this ruthless, win at all costs, Michael Jordan fighting over ping pong type person. And that we should just accept that and celebrate them for their talent.

I think there are plenty of successful people who maintain good life balance. I have met several. I think an A-hole is an A-hole no matter how successful they are, and I don't like a-holes

Are relentlessly driven, socially awkward (due to this) types more likely to succeed at very high levels, I would probably say yes because a pathological need to succeed probably dors give you a better chance at success. It just doesn't mean all are like that

Not all of the above necessarily applies to PP. We're probably going off topic a bit

Since when did relentlessly driven and "socially awkward" run hand in hand?

Maybe we're reading different threads or most likely processing it differently because the type of individual that you describe I could not stand and would not waste my time, energy or emotions on-

An A-hole is an A-hole-

Relentlessly driven and "socially awkward????"

HaHa, that's cute?

Regards,

RP

I don't see your point.

Too bad. I imagine most do.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Close the gd thread nothing else can be said. Dead on. As my father said many years ago as he was "instilling" the sense of right in me If they are born an asshat they will always be an asshat.

Richard i don't believe you are taking from my posts what i am intending to write. I am not saying that relentlessly driven people are all socially awkward A-holes. I am specifically saying that they are not all like that .

But yes in certain cases, some people who have a relentless need to dominate , win and succeed at everything have difficulty interacting with other people in many social instances. They are the guys that tackle you when it's game point in basketball because they can't stand losing....they are the guys who become managers in an office and expect all of their employees to work 8 to 8 every day because they do, and have higher than average turnover in their departments etc etc...

Sometimes a "pathological" need to excel can lead to success, it stands to reason these guys succeed more than passive people. And sometimes these guys have a hard time interacting with others and end up offending them or being abrasive to them.

But there are many who have a desire to succeed and push themselves, but still maintain healthy work/life balances and maintain good social interactions. I prefer these types of people.

I don't even know if this relates to Pat Perez anymore or how we got here. LOL. I feel like this is big tangeant

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't see your point.

Too bad. I imagine most do.

Please speak for the majority. I wish to be entertained.