2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pat Perez - You Don't Know Me

acy274

I get what some of the negative and positive comments are about.

He didn't come from a rough up bringing compared to those that truly come from unfortunate circumstances, but he didn't come from the same standings as many of the people around him, especially in golf, which would certainly skew your perspective on what it took for you to get to where you are. He wasn't searching for food in dumpsters, but I don't think that's what he was trying to portray either, to be fair. I'd also argue that his upbringing isn't the definition of upper middle class. Just because his dad worked at IBM and his mom was in real estate doesn't mean they made a lot of money. My mom worked at US bank for 35 years and I made more money than she did by the time I graduated college, which still wasnt much, and I don't think we are talking Bill Gates computer, and Donald Trump real estate status here. He grew up with everything he needed to survive, but not a full ride to succeed in life, like most of the people he grew up with, and many of those he's surrounded by now. I don't feel bad for him, but I do respect the fact that he was cleaning clubs while many of his now peers were dropped off to play every day. College was dependent on scholarships, not mom and dad, etc. He wasn't going to be set for life regardless if he did or didn't win so it all means a little more to him.

Those who are set against him probably wouldn't change their minds regardless, just like diehard fans of other people wouldn't change their opinions regardless of what their "hero" said or did. IMO, Pat hasn't said or done anything that many, many of the big names haven't done, so I don't really see the issues everyone has with him. Hell, Rory said he wasn't here to grow the game and that all he cares about is himself bringing home the trophy, and more people defended him than berated him, and I've seen more hate thrown at Pat than Rors, which his incident is pretty much forgotten at this point.

Regardless of weather or not it proves that Pat was born with a silver spoon or not, I thought it was a cool read. Especially the Daly part. It's always cool to read the story of someones dream coming true, because most of us can only live vicariously through that.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good read and insight into PP. However, I still think he didn't need to say what he did about tiger (not that it wasn't true). Just saying that as one who benefitted from the advancement Tiger did to the game with prize money and endorsements, he could have kept it in the locker room or at the private party, not the media. Also, I know life sucks when you have to hang around rich kids and you aren't one but I can't feel like you came from the bottom because you didn't have the country club membership. Either way, I like PP and his attitude/passion on the course. I hope he wins more.

Great piece written by Perez himself. Interesting insight into the real PP, and the story of how he turned pro.

https://www.theplaye...u-dont-know-me/

Thanks for posting this. That was a great article and I'm definitely a fan now. I added that website to my favorites too. It looks like they have some other good articles out there.

Wow. I had no idea about some of these stories about Pat. If they are true, holy smokes I can see why so many people dislike him.

If they are not, then that's unfortunate as well.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Guys an as#hole.

This article is simply him telling people about his view of his life. Not setting anything straight.

You want to set something straight??

How about how you've belittled a struggling mini tour pro in front of a crowd

of people in your living room while you were snorting coke off the kitchen counter. Just a guy asking for your advice about what you thought he should do to get to the show. I watched my buddy walk out of the room almost in tears.

How about asking for tons of free merchandise from Taylormade and then Callaway just so you could sell it on the bay to support you coke habit.

Yeah man, you really struggled and set us all straight.

I'll say this about Perez. He's an amazing talent. Maybe one of the most talented guys out there. He'd have to be for how little he's worked at the game. Probably struggled with the game less than anyone I've ever met.

Real sob story. Middle class living in one of the nicest parts of the U.S. Had a 2 income family and access to golf and a free education. Won tournaments with next to no effort and has been on tour for years with a drug habit.

Where do I send my sympathy card and donation?

I get what some of the negative and positive comments are about.

He didn't come from a rough up bringing compared to those that truly come from unfortunate circumstances, but he didn't come from the same standings as many of the people around him, especially in golf, which would certainly skew your perspective on what it took for you to get to where you are. He wasn't searching for food in dumpsters, but I don't think that's what he was trying to portray either, to be fair. I'd also argue that his upbringing isn't the definition of upper middle class. Just because his dad worked at IBM and his mom was in real estate doesn't mean they made a lot of money. My mom worked at US bank for 35 years and I made more money than she did by the time I graduated college, which still wasnt much, and I don't think we are talking Bill Gates computer, and Donald Trump real estate status here. He grew up with everything he needed to survive, but not a full ride to succeed in life, like most of the people he grew up with, and many of those he's surrounded by now. I don't feel bad for him, but I do respect the fact that he was cleaning clubs while many of his now peers were dropped off to play every day. College was dependent on scholarships, not mom and dad, etc. He wasn't going to be set for life regardless if he did or didn't win so it all means a little more to him.

Those who are set against him probably wouldn't change their minds regardless, just like diehard fans of other people wouldn't change their opinions regardless of what their "hero" said or did. IMO, Pat hasn't said or done anything that many, many of the big names haven't done, so I don't really see the issues everyone has with him. Hell, Rory said he wasn't here to grow the game and that all he cares about is himself bringing home the trophy, and more people defended him than berated him, and I've seen more hate thrown at Pat than Rors, which his incident is pretty much forgotten at this point.

Regardless of weather or not it proves that Pat was born with a silver spoon or not, I thought it was a cool read. Especially the Daly part. It's always cool to read the story of someones dream coming true, because most of us can only live vicariously through that.

Glad to see golfwrx has set the record straight! And I mean that. And this is what makes PP overall a "character"; PGA Tour needs more characters and we need more media to expose it. Then golf can be "popular". Although, not sure I want it that "popular" as to affect slow play in front of me; but I digress. Anyway...the coke part - awesome, berating an up and comer trying to learn how to make it while on coke - not cool; but no one's perfect.

I will say though, PP is toeing the line on whether I can be fan or non-fan; probably both, and the more he wears that PXG hat, the more chance of it going to non-fan. It's ok to be a DB; world needs the entertainment, but you can't take the money from a bigger DB and rock the garbage clubs!

Man, why all the hatred? He's got his own perspective (right or wrong by our own perspectives).

Growing up, I knew rich kids who had all the benefits and privileges. I was the poor kid who worked for everything. Honestly, glad I was on the poor end working up.

Enjoyed his perspective ..... hope he improves his life.

Man, why all the hatred? He's got his own perspective (right or wrong by our own perspectives).

Growing up, I knew rich kids who had all the benefits and privileges. I was the poor kid who worked for everything. Honestly, glad I was on the poor end working up.

Hopefully you didn't have to experience the same horrors of growing up in a 2000sq foot house!

Lot of kids I grew up with never made it out of those slums

(seriously they didn't, they still live there comfortably in middle class.... The horrors!)

:)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

perspective and a good attitude

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Thought it was a good read; not sure it influenced my opinion of him one way or another to be honest. I like an inside look of what it took for some of these guys to make it to (and stay on) the Tour. I didn't read it as a "woe is me" tale as much as some of you guys did, more just of a look at what his life was like growing up. 16 straight years with a card is pretty impressive.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I'm going with option NPD:

A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance.

Rare

Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year

Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging not required

Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

Consult a doctor for medical advice

Guys an as#hole.

This article is simply him telling people about his view of his life. Not setting anything straight.

of people in your living room while you were snorting coke off the kitchen counter. Just a guy asking for your advice about what you thought he should do to get to the show. I watched my buddy walk out of the room almost in tears.

How about asking for tons of free merchandise from Taylormade and then Callaway just so you could sell it on the bay to support you coke habit.

I'll say this about Perez. He's an amazing talent. Maybe one of the most talented guys out there. He'd have to be for how little he's worked at the game. Probably struggled with the game less than anyone I've ever met.

Real sob story. Middle class living in one of the nicest parts of the U.S. Had a 2 income family and access to golf and a free education. Won tournaments with next to no effort and has been on tour for years with a drug habit.

I will say this: that happened 8 to 10 years ago and it's possible that somebody has changed with age. He's since gotten married and that can change somebody too.

It's very rare that I go out of my way to write something bad about someone . My experiences with him and the stories of other players that I know personally don't really paint to nice picture of PP. But when you're in the public Life and you gain directly from being in the public life, you have to have more restraint than a normal person . It's a two-way street. I think that Pat Perez should have a little more self awareness and a little more tact with how he behaves. Or not, if that's what he wants. But if you're going to behave that way you shouldn't get your feelings so easily hurt when you get called out on your behavior.

If he was a real straight shooter like he says he is, he wouldn't feel the need to defend his straight shooting ! Apparently he can dish it but he can't take it. Well, that's not how straight shooting works Pat.

#1, Pat is a GREAT ****** Dude-

I'm guessisng that if 95% of ya spent 4-5 hours with the guy you would say the same thing, whether you were a confident self assured Alpha or a quite reserved "member of the herd" type of personality. Doesn't matter. I saw him with both types and initially and surprisingly, he adapted his personality and behavior

#2, there are a few ways to look at this story. One is from tge contrarian viewpoint that he's just an egotistical narcissistic dick who is telling a self glorifying story to make himself look better than he really is and to rationalize his behavior to himself so he feels good about being a dick. Usually this individual is someone mired in mediocrity who has a bitterness that is just below the surface and when someone like Pat, who has routinely and without fail beaten and pimp slapped this individual throughout their life, well, if I was in this person's shoes, first, boy would that suck but that being said, I would probably hate the Pat Perez's of the world also

Another way is to be a young person who can insert him or herself into Pat's place and obviously minus the fortunate or lucky "breaks" that Pat got along the road, and I would say here that "luck" is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performance and if you prepare AND perform in this world, and I don't care who you are, what your socioeconomic background is or what the activity is, be it academic, athletic professional or social, if you prepare to be the Best that YOU can be, and you perform when the lights go on, you will put yourself in a position to get "lucky."

The mediocre and pessimists do not get "lucky."

Pat is who he is and this story is THE closest written piece that I've read that gives a look into who Pat is.

Sure, he can be a dick, and I've seen it and commented to it, but can't we all be dicks, especially those that have stronger personalities? A similar situation to what Isaac spoke to-

It is my option that he carried a few chips and some bitterness at the hand that he was felt and I spoke with him about this and I just told him that he was a very very fortunate individual, came from a very living family and got a few incredible breaks.

So what if you run into someone who makes an ethnic slur toward you??

You either punch em in the face and drop em where they stand or ya walk away and forget them as the trash that they are. I believe that Ashley has been the part of the puzzle that made Pat a better Man.

Just my .03 worth

Like I said, 95%+ of you would really like him and enjoy the time spent with him-

The other 5%???

Seriously, who gives a flying **** :)

Keep it real and have a great weekend Gents ?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Here's a lesson I learned not so long ago in my 33 years of life. You will never know or understand what somebody has and is going through in their own lives, so don't pass judgement until you really get to know somebody.

After reading his article, I will pull a little bit harder for him when he's in the hunt. From washing golf carts, to playing for $1MM every weekend. Good for you, and hustle until the haters become fans.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

I'm guessisng that if 95% of ya spent 4-5 hours with the guy you would say the same thing, whether you were a confident self assured Alpha or a quite reserved "member of the herd" type of personality. Doesn't matter. I saw him with both types and initially and surprisingly, he adapted his personality and behavior

#2, there are a few ways to look at this story. One is from tge contrarian viewpoint that he's just an egotistical narcissistic dick who is telling a self glorifying story to make himself look better than he really is and to rationalize his behavior to himself so he feels good about being a dick. Usually this individual is someone mired in mediocrity who has a bitterness that is just below the surface and when someone like Pat, who has routinely and without fail beaten and pimp slapped this individual throughout their life, well, if I was in this person's shoes, first, boy would that suck but that being said, Is probably hat the Pat Parez's of the world to

Another way is to be a young person who can insert him or herself into Pat's place and obviously minus the fortunate or lucky "breaks" that Pat got along the road, and I would say here that "luck" is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performance and if you prepare AND perform in this world, and I don't care who you are, what your socioeconomic background is or what the activity is, be it academic, athletic professional or social, if you prepare to be the Best that YOU can be, and you perform when the lights go on, you will put yourself in a position to get "lucky."

Pat is who he is and this story is THE closest written piece that I've read that gives a look into who Pat is.

Sure, he can be a dick, and I've seen it and commented to it, but can't we all be dicks, especially those that have stronger personalities? A similar situation to what Isaac spoke to-

Like I said, 95%+ of you would really like him and enjoy the time spent with him-

The other 5%???

Keep it real and have a great weekend Gents ��

All the Best,

RP

"Pat, who has routinely and without fail beaten and pimp slapped this individual throughout their life,"

Is he like a Torrey Pines/golfer version of Aaron Hernandez? Sounds scary ; )

Richard,

I tend to like everyone I meet. They all get at least one "oops" and most get two.

One of my favorite bosses is a total DB but I got along great with him. I'd tell people "just don't act like a jackWord not allowed around him and you're good. I can still recognize he's a dick. So.. I'd probably like PP too.

Doesn't mean he isn't a narcissistic tool tho...

I have suspicion you are similar... although that may just be me wanting to be like you. ;)

#2, there are a few ways to look at this story. One is from tge contrarian viewpoint that he's just an egotistical narcissistic dick who is telling a self glorifying story to make himself look better than he really is and to rationalize his behavior to himself so he feels good about being a dick. Usually this individual is someone mired in mediocrity who has a bitterness that is just below the surface and when someone like Pat, who has routinely and without fail beaten and pimp slapped this individual throughout their life, well, if I was in this person's shoes, first, boy would that suck but that being said, Is probably hat the Pat Parez's of the world to

The other 5%???

Keep it real and have a great weekend Gents ��

All the Best,

RP

"Pat, who has routinely and without fail beaten and pimp slapped this individual throughout their life,"

Is he like a Torrey Pines/golfer version of Aaron Hernandez? Sounds scary ; )

Figurative My Man, Figurative?

Have a nice weekend?

Always,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Here's a lesson I learned not so long ago in my 33 years of life. You will never know or understand what somebody has and is going through in their own lives, so don't pass judgement until you really get to know somebody.

After reading his article, I will pull a little bit harder for him when he's in the hunt. From washing golf carts, to playing for $1MM every weekend. Good for you, and hustle until the haters become fans.

In my 44 years of life, I've learned that anyone of relatively marginal success who wants to offer an unsolicited, celebratory autobiography as a way of explaining his boorish dismissive word not allowed-ish-ness is a narcissist. He pulled shoes out of the garbage and washed carts,and he feels that means something, therefore, he's someone to root for? He actually owned his own shoes already. Everyone understands that right?

Is this where we are? That because a guy, you know, HAD A JOB as a teenager he suddenly wants credit for a "pursuit of happiness" type of self revival? For christ sake the guy was dodging the cart wash hose spray, not a hail of gunfire.

He wasn't asked to write this garbage. He took it upon himself for no apparent reason other than he wants credit for "surviving" what amount to everyday life experiences. And he then expects the public to believe the same things about him that his inflated sense of self has convinced him of. Sorry, I'm selling.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Richard,

I tend to like everyone I meet. They all get at least one "oops" and most get two.

One of my favorite bosses is a total DB but I got along great with him. I'd tell people "just don't act like a jackWord not allowed around him and you're good. I can still recognize he's a dick. So.. I'd probably like PP too.

Doesn't mean he isn't a narcissistic tool tho...

I have suspicion you are similar... although that may just be me wanting to be like you. ;)

We all have s little narcissism in us(at least that's what my shrink said, lol), it's just to what degree, are we social or anti-social and can we turn it up and down accordingly.

I believe that Pat finally learned to turn it up and turn it down and Incredit that to Ashley.

While I can definitely be a dick, I direct that behavior at those who are my self-perceived equal or considered to be above me, either intellectually, mentally or physically-

I have never directed this at someone who I consider not to be my equal-

Yea, I've skirted the line of anti-social though I always made my way back, lmao

And FWIW, the Nike Jordan story means absolutely nothing to me and I would have no problem asking him if he mentioned it to me, "the point of your story?"

As KYMs pointed out, he had shoes

What it tells me is that he was very image conscious and to answer before someone asks, nope, I never was, haha. When ALL my Buds bought Chuck's, I bought canvas Adidas, lol

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

When I make the comment about narcissism, and any of you that have competed at a high level, whether it be academically, athletics or professionally have seen this and know of what I speak but this is why Guys like Nathan Smith, Bob Ford and one of my father's closest friends, at one time considered THE preeminent surgeon in his specialty on planet earth, are so friggin amazing to me-

They are all three Champions at the highest level of their respective fields and you will not find a Kinder, Nicer or more Soft spoken Gentleman than these three-

The worst thing that I can say about Nathan is that I ALMOST heard him swear once??

He caught himself and just smiled-

WTF???

I have always aspired to carry myself like these three individuals because while I am not of the personality type to be a "fan," I am in awe of these guys.

To run at that level, against the competitors that they have all three competed against, and the surgeon competes against no one but himself as he set and reset the bar, but to be that intense and that Gentlemanly is something of which I am not familiar....

But I ain't gonna quit striving, that I promise ya?

My Best,

RP

Richard i'm glad you thought of those exceptions as your defense of Pat based on the "well everyone's a narcissist" premise was a reach to say the least.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Eesh, that blog is just further proof that golfers are boring.

"You don't know me" is the domain of a rebelling 13yr old, not an adult and absolutely "straight shooter" is just code for d1ckhead.

Really could have done with a moose or poutine anecdote from his time on the Canadian Tour.

2/5 Mullets. Really a 1, but get's a bonus point for the correct usage of former and latter.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Richard i'm glad you thought of those exceptions as your defense of Pat based on the "well everyone's a narcissist" premise was a reach to say the least.

Agreed?

Have a great weekend Bro?

Ava said to say hi??

My Best,

Richard

Guys an as#hole.

Wow....

I am certainly not going to jump up in defense of PP, or anyone else here, but the comment: "has been on tour for years with a drug habit" I believe could be applied to one or two more tour players...not gonna mention names or initials, but we know who some of them are/were

When I make the comment about narcissism, and any of you that have competed at a high level, whether it be academically, athletics or professionally have seen this and know of what I speak...

Richard, you nailed it. I touched greatness for about a year. I couldn't maintain it. It is unadulterated, pure, selfishness. I got called all kinds of names by competitors and teammates.

Bowling events are structured for team, singles, and doubles events to start the event. The individuals with most pinfall across all three events participate in match play. I advanced to match play in a Tier One event. During one of the matches, one of my teammates (a jealous b**** who didn't want to work hard to be good) sat down behind one of my competitors and openly cheered for my opponent. The best part was, after I WON, I walked by him and said "that HAD to hurt."

Huzzah, Pat Perez. Huzzah!!!

I'm going with option NPD:

A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance.

Rare

Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year

Treatment can help, but this condition can't be cured

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging not required

Chronic: can last for years or be lifelong

Consult a doctor for medical advice

A rare disorder? I think it's sweeping the nation.