Lexi Thompson ANA

My recollection is that the information was received via email to two of the LPGA Committee members at the event. I suggest that those emails were not from some random dude sitting on his recliner in a double-wide in West Virginia with a Bud Light in his hand.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...If they had been it would have been easily discernible....

It might have been, or might not have been. We only have that luxury to start the analysis when an introduction of HD video takes place. Then it comes down to we think that should have been discernible because the ultra zoom makes a native two pixel-four pixel width, which we are not measuring, look like it's 2".

It moved from one side of a coin to another. If Lexi was paying attention she could/would have seen it. Yes-the HD zoom enabled viewers to see it from 60 feet away. Her eyes were three or four feet away-tops.

Again, without measuring pixels, using some sort of calibration, the effect of super-slo-mo HD zoom distorts reality. Or do you not agree with that as a standalone sentiment? If you don't then we have no further discourse, as it's a well known fact of photo-editing and production, that it does.

You can, with nearly 100% accuracy, on calibrated equipment, measure pixel width and get a very close to precise answer on exactly how far it moved. That is not being employed, as far as I can discern.

I watched it, originally believing I was going to see something like DJ's ball moving at Oakmont, and I got something that is in millimeters of difference.

Probably part of my disconnect. Aside from this site I'm not a participant in social media. At all. Have no use for the drama that it's ruled by. And so I really dont have an opinion on that except that I put no stock in Social media opinions. Calling someone a cheater won't make it true.

How about when people see the video on Facebook-or Instagram? I am like you and not on it at all except this site. But golf would be dealt an even bigger black eye imo if these type of gaffes when unpunished and then posted elsewhere.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

...If they had been it would have been easily discernible....

It might have been, or might not have been. We only have that luxury to start the analysis when an introduction of HD video takes place. Then it comes down to we think that should have been discernible because the ultra zoom makes a native two pixel-four pixel width, which we are not measuring, look like it's 2".

It moved from one side of a coin to another. If Lexi was paying attention she could/would have seen it. Yes-the HD zoom enabled viewers to see it from 60 feet away. Her eyes were three or four feet away-tops.

Again, without measuring pixels, using some sort of calibration, the effect of super-slo-mo HD zoom distorts reality. Or do you not agree with that as a standalone sentiment? If you don't then we have no further discourse, as it's a well known fact of photo-editing and production, that it does.

You can, with nearly 100% accuracy, on calibrated equipment, measure pixel width and get a very close to precise answer on exactly how far it moved. That is not being employed, as far as I can discern.

I watched it, originally believing I was going to see something like DJ's ball moving at Oakmont, and I got something that is in millimeters of difference.

It is an amazing thing-is it not? That two people can view the same video and walk away with totally differing opinions on what they saw.

Shouldn't it be up to the player(s), rules officials and committee to see an infraction and impart the penalty within a reasonable manner?

What if a player's best friend sees an infraction on TV, calls the player, and the player tells the committee? You OK with that?

No that's still not okay. An outside agency, having absolutely nothing to do with the game being played at that moment in time, is influencing the outcome of that round. Sure, on paper your scenario might sound all well and good, within the "nature of the game", but someone phoning me and saying "hey I noticed that 5 holes back you did this which was a penalty" does absolutely nothing for me. So now I have to think back 20 shots, never mind the tournament at hand and the shot I'm about to take, and question what happened? No thanks.

The USGA just needs to come out and say "while we appreciate the at home spectators trying to keep the spirit of the game alive, we will no longer be accepting phone in, email, snail mail, carrier pigeon etc. statuses of a players infraction."

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Shouldn't it be up to the player(s), rules officials and committee to see an infraction and impart the penalty within a reasonable manner?

What if a player's best friend sees an infraction on TV, calls the player, and the player tells the committee? You OK with that?

No that's still not okay. An outside agency, having absolutely nothing to do with the game being played at that moment in time, is influencing the outcome of that round. Sure, on paper your scenario might sound all well and good, within the "nature of the game", but someone phoning me and saying "hey I noticed that 5 holes back you did this which was a penalty" does absolutely nothing for me. So now I have to think back 20 shots, never mind the tournament at hand and the shot I'm about to take, and question what happened? No thanks.

The USGA just needs to come out and say "while we appreciate the at home spectators trying to keep the spirit of the game alive, we will no longer be accepting phone in, email, snail mail, carrier pigeon etc. statuses of a players infraction."

Just to place credit or blame where it belongs, I don't think this was a USGA event and I assume the USGA had nothing to do with this (other than co-owning the Rules of Golf).

dave

Fair enough.

What if player in the scoring tent sees it on TV and notifies committee?

It is an amazing thing-is it not? That two people can view the same video and walk away with totally differing opinions on what they saw.

I am not sure that we are walking away, saying two different things - actually. What I am saying is that they are using technology in the crudest way possible, and they are guessing that it would be discernible, but not actually in possession of the knowledge that it would or wouldn't be.

If I told you that she, factually, moved the ball 1.1mm, would you possibly re-think that it was discernible to the naked eye? If I told you that, factually, she moved it 3/4", would that change your opinion? Right now, we have a crude zoomed in HD video with no basis in what that measurement is showing us. Then the committee is using that tech to say, holy cow, look how much that moved across the 55" HD screen we are watching it on. It looks egregious.

When I saw the unedited video, knowing I was going to be looking for a sleight of hand, I sort of said to myself, "Did that really move? Maybe just a shadow. Maybe it was off a bit, maybe not."

Fair enough.

What if player in the scoring tent sees it on TV and notifies committee?

Using tech to determine that we should review it with more tech, to determine if we think it could have been perceptible to the naked eye. Tough spot., when crudely using technology such as they are.....

Just to place credit or blame where it belongs, I don't think this was a USGA event and I assume the USGA had nothing to do with this (other than co-owning the Rules of Golf).

dave

Yes, though to be fair, the tournament was run under the ROG which in D 34-3/9 in part it says:

"Testimony of those who are not a part of the competition, including spectators, must be accepted and evaluated (Decision 27/12). It is also appropriate to use television footage and the like to assist in resolving doubt."

I am not sure that we are walking away, saying two different things - actually. What I am saying is that they are using technology in the crudest way possible, and they are guessing that it would be discernible, but not actually in possession of the knowledge that it would or wouldn't be.

If I told you that she, factually, moved the ball 1.1mm, would you possibly re-think that it was discernible to the naked eye? If I told you that, factually, she moved it 3/4", would that change your opinion? Right now, we have a crude zoomed in HD video with no basis in what that measurement is showing us. Then the committee is using that tech to say, holy cow, look how much that moved across the 55" HD screen we are watching it on. It looks egregious.

When I saw the unedited video, knowing I was going to be looking for a sleight of hand, I sort of said to myself, "Did that really move? Maybe just a shadow. Maybe it was off a bit, maybe not."

She moved it at least the diameter of a golf ball.

That's idiotic

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Yes, though to be fair, the tournament was run under the ROG which in D 34-3/9 in part it says:

"Testimony of those who are not a part of the competition, including spectators, must be accepted and evaluated (Decision 27/12). It is also appropriate to use television footage and the like to assist in resolving doubt."

SG, that is a good point although it references a case "where there is a question on the table being raised from within the competition". This is a case where the issue is raised from outside the competition and is unknown inside the competition (as far as we know). If a committee said that their process would be to ignore input from sources that are unknown on issues that are unknown to them unless that input was solicited from someone in the competition, would the USGA accept that as a process that complies with the RoG? I'm not sure.

dave

ps. Here is the "modern solution" for those of you who object to this stuff happening at the highest levels of golf. Just flood the relevant authority with bogus observations. That would fix it. Calm down, everyone - this is intended to be a joke. :taunt:

Maybe we define "diameter" differently. That ball was not moved the diameter of a ball. Sorry.

Maybe we define "diameter" differently. That ball was not moved the diameter of a ball. Sorry.

Closer to the coins width. About an inch. Maybe 3/4".

How many holes did she play that day? How many times did she mark? What advantage was gained by moving the ball, no closer to the hole, on a short putt?

The speculation is that she avoided an imperfection in the green.

dave

It was a 1 foot putt.

My take on it, is that she marked funny to avoid coming near another player's line with her feet and then placed the ball like she normally would.

I don't have a problem with the rule. Having observed a clear infringement, I don't know what else the rules committee could have done. I just wonder when the rules violation was reported? Presumably it was the day before. Why did it take them until the 13th hole the following day to penalize the player. That's the shame in all of this. I doubt it gave her a material advantage. However, knowing how the rules can be applied she should have been more careful.

If the LPGA intended to rule based on TV feeds, then they damn well should have had officials monitoring the broadcast in real time. Had they done so competently, the max penalty would have been two strokes...assessed prior to Lexi signing her card. Lexi may or may not have won, but would have known her task prior to teeing off on Sunday.

So while the LPGA claims they had no choice, they also demonstrated their complete incompetence. Major fail by the LPGA.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

If this kind of thing is going to continue, then the Tours must scrutinize each and every shot of each and every player during each and every round. Penalties galore...for example, a player sets up to his/her ball in the rough. If you zoom in and look at it in super slo-motion you will notice the ball moved a micrometer, maybe even two.

I am waiting for the USGA to announce a zoom feature that can scrutinize the ball at the molecular level. "The ball moved two microns...two stroke penalty."

Ironically, the rule change about signing for an incorrect scorecard that was instituted in 2015, I think, potentially cost Lexi an extra two strokes. Had that rule not been changed, Lexi could have been given the same allowance that Tiger was afforded at the 2013 Masters by Rule 33. The situations are that similar, it seems to me.

I understand that the Tiger situation is most likely the major event to prompt this rule change, so I guess the rule change accomplished it's goal. I think a lot fewer people would have viewed this instance with disdain, however, if the additional two strokes hasn't been attached.

JMO, of course.

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

If you mark on one side and replace on the other, like Toski (and others) have done, that's more than the width of the coin. That's a whole ball plus width of coin.

Did she mark on one side and replace on the other?

She walked up from the side instead of directly from behind, but appeared to mark it conventionally behind the ball and in line with the hole. (May have been trying to be conscious of other players lines) She replaced it slightly closer to herself. It appeared to be about half an inch to the side of where it should have been placed, but did not appear to be closer to the hole.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

If you mark on one side and replace on the other, like Toski (and others) have done, that's more than the width of the coin. That's a whole ball plus width of coin.

Did she mark on one side and replace on the other?

I just saw the video and that is exactly what she did.

She should be suspended for a time so she can reflect about it.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Makes the USGA look like it is run by whomever has the guts to take the lead and right now, there is no leadership. To allow an outside entity decide a ruling after the fact just shows that they do not need any rules officials walking the grounds and following the players. Why in the world would they let a person watching at home call in and point out an infraction that they themselves did not catch. And one point to add is the fact that not every player is followed and showed on television unless you are up in the leader board. So why is it that the USGA cannot get this right. I just hope somebody in leadership actually steps up and fixes this mess.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

For all those who say rules are rules, and those who say this is a stupid rule...can't we come to a middle ground here?

Go back to the games roots. Players call infractions on themselves. If an issue is seen by another player, spectator, official at the course then inform the player and allow them the opportunity to right a wrong by taking a penalty. And for God sake do it on the day the infraction occurred. If you are unaware of a rules breach and sign your card along with someone attesting to that score, how can you have knowingly signed an incorrect scorecard when a penalty is assessed after the fact? Again, it's about integrity. If we want the game to be about that then trust that players are being honest in their play.

I struggle to understand any argument for people at home calling in infractions. Opens up a huge can of worms, adds grey area to a sport that doesn't need it, and causes unnecessary controversy. And most people arguing for call ins seem to be strict by the book guys, sorry but I don't see where you are coming from. Let players police themselves like any other non televised round of golf would be played.