US Open: Erin Hills

Hankshank

Congratulations to Brooks! Love that he took an "alternate" route and was able to experience what he did. One thing I'd like to chime in on is the interesting dynamic between when younger guys versus veterans win a major or their first major. When Sergio, Rose, Scott, Mickelson all won their majors they were overcome with emotion after and all had rewarding/humbling press conferences. When I watched Koepka today I felt he was a bit too conceded, almost acting like it wasn't a big deal and assuming he'll win more. I mean there's a great chance this could be the highlight of his career and I hope he's truly enjoying it.

i actually loved that part about him.... he simply knows hes better than his results show... he will win more... You just saw this kids coming out party.... no way that much talent doesnt win another major, barring some accident or health issue....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koepka has the personality of an empty soda can.

He has this "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes similar to Nick Watney. There just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot up top... just like his good buddy DJ.

Can you imagine trying to hold a conversation with them at breakfast or something?

"Hey, Brooks, what do you think about the situation in Syria?"

Brooks - "I like strawberries in my cereal."

iUFxu44.png

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Koepka has the personality of an empty soda can.

He has this "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes similar to Nick Watney. There just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot up top... just like his good buddy DJ.

Can you imagine trying to hold a conversation with them at breakfast or something?

"Hey, Brooks, what do you think about the situation in Syria?"

Brooks - "I like strawberries in my cereal."

iUFxu44.png

This wasn't a US Open today.

It used to stand for "toughest test", as The Open stood for "nature's major", and the Masters was the Invitational (PGA top 100)...but the US Open wasn't the US Open today.

I could live with Chamber's Bay - only -5 won there, and while the choppy greens were a let down, the course was pretty - water, trains on the course, it was not bad in hindsight.

I felt like Rory bastardizing the record books at Congressional was the worst taste left in my mouth after a major (perhaps), but this is worse than that.

This was like the Bob Hope Classic today.

USGA should've made par 68. Then, it would have been one for the ages, right? Even par, and a worthy champion. Instead, we had this sideshow of jokers making birdies where no birdies should have been made.

Hell, I think par should've been 22. That would show them.

You're missing the point.

How does anyone play a par 5 680 with two 3 woods and they're on the green?

If this was (allegedly) the longest course in US Open (or major) history, of second or third, how did so many guys still cut the course up to the tune of so many under par, and record number of guys double digits under par?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

On the other hand, Brooks left his home country shortly after college to pursue an orthodox path to the PGA tour. At the ripe age of 27 he has lived abroad, traveled and won on multiple continents, and is now a major champion. He appears to be well received by both his European and American peers. Although his personality my come off a bit drab, imho one doesn't accomplish what he has without a little going on upstairs.

This wasn't a US Open today.

It used to stand for "toughest test", as The Open stood for "nature's major", and the Masters was the Invitational (PGA top 100)...but the US Open wasn't the US Open today.

I could live with Chamber's Bay - only -5 won there, and while the choppy greens were a let down, the course was pretty - water, trains on the course, it was not bad in hindsight.

I felt like Rory bastardizing the record books at Congressional was the worst taste left in my mouth after a major (perhaps), but this is worse than that.

This was like the Bob Hope Classic today.

USGA should've made par 68. Then, it would have been one for the ages, right? Even par, and a worthy champion. Instead, we had this sideshow of jokers making birdies where no birdies should have been made.

Hell, I think par should've been 22. That would show them.

If this was (allegedly) the longest course in US Open (or major) history, of second or third, how did so many guys still cut the course up to the tune of so many under par, and record number of guys double digits under par?

Because the greens were perfect for 4 days.

Give touring pros generous fairways and greens that are soft and receptive, and they will cut up ANY course.

If the course is dry and firm, you couldnt hold some of the iron shots these guys played this week on those greens. It was just an unlucky break with the weather. The wide fairways needed to be balanced out with hard greens that you needed to be precise on, and the rains washed away those plans.

On the other hand, Brooks left his home country shortly after college to pursue an orthodox path to the PGA tour. At the ripe age of 27 he has lived abroad, traveled and won on multiple continents, and is now a major champion. He appears to be well received by both his European and American peers. Although his personality my come off a bit drab, imho one doesn't accomplish what he has without a little going on upstairs.

Point well taken. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on Brooks, although I reserve the right to continue to be harsh on DJ lol.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I keep waiting for Fowler to become elite and just take charge of a final round in a Major, and he seems to never be able to. I really wanted to see him get his first one yesterday. I am glad to see another first time winner though.

it may not ever happen. He is 28 and i read the article that said Butch Harmon had to have a serious discussion with him about what he wanted out of being a tour pro....did he want to be elite or be a Kardashian? Harmon said Fowler was upset at the discussion, but it was on point.

Somehow Fowlers social media life gets zero critique.

That's a great question, and I'm curious to hear your answer.

I'd also like to hear what DJ and Rory have to say about it.

Do you remember how many people reached that green in 2 all week? It's a pretty small number.

So... IMO the answer is "they do it with extraordinary talent along with a whole lot of cajones". For 4 days BK showed some pretty awesome golf, especially with the run of birdies to close it out down the stretch. He went out and just won this thing and deserved it.

Buck said Koepka views himself as a top tier athlete who could dominate many sports but chose golf so he expects to win. He didn't react much on the green but you could see when he rode the cart back to the club house that he was emotional.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I keep waiting for Fowler to become elite and just take charge of a final round in a Major, and he seems to never be able to. I really wanted to see him get his first one yesterday. I am glad to see another first time winner though.

it may not ever happen. He is 28 and i read the article that said Butch Harmon had to have a serious discussion with him about what he wanted out of being a tour pro....did he want to be elite or be a Kardashian? Harmon said Fowler was upset at the discussion, but it was on point.

Somehow Fowlers social media life gets zero critique.

\

What? Harmon said Fowler was upset initially but that he took it to heart and has doubled down on his golf game, and it clearly shows. And people s*** on Rickie for his social media presence regularly. I mean, calling someone a Kardashian is about as below the belt as you can get with an insult.

No more Par 72 US Opens, Dump 3 man booths, admit Holly Sonders and her skin tight outfits are a disaster. A weekend of good but boring golfers. Ah the post Tiger era is upon us.. looks very similar to the pre Tiger era. Better but still boring personality golfers..

Wait, what's wrong with Holly and her skin tight outfits? I'd say the only thing wrong is they're not nearly tight enough.

good tournament, good golf course, good tv coverage and good and deserving winner...

major championship atmosphere....no.

I agree with all of your points.

I question if our impression of the "atmosphere" is related to the fact that Erin Hills is not very "intimate" when it comes to proximity of gallery to play and players.

Maybe a lack of "big names."

Perhaps, a lack of drama as Koepka pulled away from the pack to win.

Personally, I got what I wanted out of this Open: The USGA actually allowed a course to display it's natural defenses, without trumping any up. Plus, credit Erin Hills management for effectively having the place closed down since mid fall, which gave the players exceptional putting surfaces.

I think the USGA is going to come back here someday, push a few different buttons, and higher scores will result.

No more Par 72 US Opens, Dump 3 man booths, admit Holly Sonders and her skin tight outfits are a disaster. A weekend of good but boring golfers. Ah the post Tiger era is upon us.. looks very similar to the pre Tiger era. Better but still boring personality golfers..

Wait, what's wrong with Holly and her skin tight outfits? I'd say the only thing wrong is they're not nearly tight enough.

I enjoyed seeing the outfits but she seems out of place in the broadcast. You go from an all male crew and randomly cut to Holly who looks like she's dressed to be on set of an old Go Daddy commercial standing at the perfect angle to showcase her assets and operating a non-functioning touch screen. Just seemed forced and not a great use of her golf knowledge. I'd rather see her sit in with Buck and Zinger as a guest and let her banter back and forth with the guys on camera.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

the USGA picked a mediocre course, and because of it the Top players in the World weren't around for the weekend..They determined who the winner would be...Congrats to the winner, he played the course that was given to the field..The set up was NOT US Open quality

How was this course set up that DJ and Rory couldn't make the cut , the top 1-2 in the world couldn't do it, but Harmon's and Keopka could? Was there special tees for the field and DJ and Rory had to play different boxes?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

The venue was excellent. The USGA ran a fine event. The champion was worthy. See you in Shinnecock in 2018...

And you are from Wisconsin :D

Yes. Yes I am... :D

I was fortunate to head out to the event for Wednesday practice. And, was able to actually walk the venue, which leads me to this point:

I would be REALLY interested to hear how much walking and the terrain played a role in this event. A few posters alluded to JT's tweet showing 8.62 miles on his Fitbit. But, Jon Rahm, before he got cut, made a similar comment on the long walk.

If it's on the minds of two of the better young players on Tour, I have to imagine it's somewhat of a factor. Erin Hills is not a reconditioned cornfield. It's got a lot of natural kettles and hills...

That's a great question, and I'm curious to hear your answer.

I'd also like to hear what DJ and Rory have to say about it.

Do you remember how many people reached that green in 2 all week? It's a pretty small number.

So... IMO the answer is "they do it with extraordinary talent along with a whole lot of cajones". For 4 days BK showed some pretty awesome golf, especially with the run of birdies to close it out down the stretch. He went out and just won this thing and deserved it.

370 yard 3 wood off the tee will do it. That's what Koepka was measured on 18. So elevation and running fairways...runway fairways.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

the USGA picked a mediocre course, and because of it the Top players in the World weren't around for the weekend..They determined who the winner would be...Congrats to the winner, he played the course that was given to the field..The set up was NOT US Open quality

How was this course set up that DJ and Rory couldn't make the cut , the top 1-2 in the world couldn't do it, but Harmon's and Keopka could? Was there special tees for the field and DJ and Rory had to play different boxes?

DJ/Rory were out of synch. One was coming off an injury..the other literally the birth of a child...they weren't ready for prime time.

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

I think if anything the setup eliminated a whole lot of long but wild hitters which is a category that happens to describe DJ, Rory and Jason Day (among other high-ranked players). Of course a lot of times Koepka would be lumped in that same category. The difference is, this particular week he was hitting it straighter than usual while for various reason (rust, nagging injuries, etc.) most of the other long-but-wild were having a crooked week.

So you ended up with contenders on the weekend comprised mostly of very straight hitters and a random smattering of long-ball artists having a career week in terms of precise driving. Maybe a few lucky breaks mixed in there too. By the time Sunday rolled around the course had winnowed it down to just Koepka and a bunch of markedly shorter hitters. As long as he didn't get twitchy and start missing fairways the tournament was his to win. He did not, so he did!

Justin Thomas is the obvious counter-factual to Koepka. Every bit as much power, he was having a straight-driving week and in contention but crumbled on Sunday and quit hitting fairways, quit hitting miracle recoveries.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

How do we think Phil would have done here had he been able to play?

Not sure he would have been able to keep up with these younglings on fire...BUT he missed a golden opportunity to notch another second in a US Open event

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

Don't even bother. People will b**** because it's a brand new course they've never seen before. They can't remember a single hole. Fairways are too wide and greens are like billiard tops. Oh, and the top players in the world couldn't make the cut because it was "too easy."

What we had this week was a course that actually required some strategy, allowing even the shortest hitters to compete. Proper distance, proper placement, allowing you to attack the pins at the proper angle.

I get it, most people are used to seeing alleys for fairways. Bomb it straight, hit wedge in. Lots of strategy there. This week Brooks bombed it straight, played smart, hit quality shots and sank putts. It's too bad the best players in the world couldn't figure out how to do that. After all, the fairways were just as wide for them too.

How do we think Phil would have done here had he been able to play?

Not sure he would have been able to keep up with these younglings on fire...BUT he missed a golden opportunity to notch another second in a US Open event

Let's be honest. Accuracy off the tee is not one of the defining features of Mickelson's game. He'd have probably posted a top 20 but I suspect he would have had too many visits to the fescue to seriously contend.