2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Phil and Bones parting ways after 25 years! (MERGED)

tanksd13

Here is my take on Phil, in a nutshell. The same rings true for anyone with any level of celebrity. The public persona of people we see on TV is a makeshift veneer to attract advertising money. Phil's team does a great job of this. They are skilled - no denying that.

But let's get real. Everything we see and hear from Phil is a pageant.

The good (foundation, family, donations, image) does not outweigh the bad (interaction with criminals, high stakes illegal gambling and the way he dismissed Bones).

Since you don't know him personally, you really don't know. If you are relying on what "everyone" else says, you are relying on hearsay.

Watch the Feherty interview from a few months ago and see how he referred to Bones. The relationship was certainly more than some 'disposable caddy'.

My son started to watch it and couldn't make it but 10 minutes. I asked him what he thought about it.

He said, "Dad, I can think of 100 ways to better spend my time."

Needless to say, I never watched it, and never will.

Again, you would rather base your remarks on conjecture than reality.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."

Hemingway

"Every man's life ends the same way" is simply not true. As a veteran firefighter I've seen men die in car accidents, in fires, as a result of heart attacks, as a result of overdoses, as a result of stupidity, and as a result of suicide (just like the author you quoted).

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Ferguson is nothing more than a contrarian who's wife won't allow him to talk at home, so he comes on here and shoots off like a fool.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say, you don't want to hear the story from the horses mouth, you just want to believe the little voices in your head, that lead you to believe Phil is an awful human being.

Speaking of which....I got a 100 better ways to spend my time.

Yeah.....I think his motivation is clearly and facts have little to do with it.

Why are so many of you so bothered by the fact that someone is a Phil hater? Even the best of people will have their "haters", and there's nothing to be done about it. My advice: allow him his hatred and vitriol and move on.

Also the ignore feature on wrx is great and makes it easy to ignore. You need to access in the desktop view as I can't see it in the mobile browser.

Here is my take on Phil, in a nutshell. The same rings true for anyone with any level of celebrity. The public persona of people we see on TV is a makeshift veneer to attract advertising money. Phil's team does a great job of this. They are skilled - no denying that.

The good (foundation, family, donations, image) does not outweigh the bad (interaction with criminals, high stakes illegal gambling and the way he dismissed Bones).

And my goodness, this article was written 10 years ago. People don't change.

http://bleacherrepor...-not-be-trusted

From the article:

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, “Man, the fans here love Phil.” The golfer replied, “They don’t know him the way we do.” It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: “Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody.

I agree with you as far as celebrities' public personnas go...none are what they may appear to be.

But, you must have some serious inside info on Phil/Bones to keep on with the whole "the way he dismissed Bones" thing. All evidence--reported or otherwise--suggest it was a mutual parting of ways.

Or--and this is the most likely scenario--you are a troll, loving the way folks get riled up over a silly message board post!!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

Why are so many of you so bothered by the fact that someone is a Phil hater? Even the best of people will have their "haters", and there's nothing to be done about it. My advice: allow him his hatred and vitriol and move on.

Also the ignore feature on wrx is great and makes it easy to ignore. You need to access in the desktop view as I can't see it in the mobile browser.

I hate to ignore anyone because there are usually good/decent posts from everyone (eventually!). If you could only ignore all of his posts regarding Phil.

From the article:

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, “Man, the fans here love Phil.” The golfer replied, “They don’t know him the way we do.” It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: “Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody.

I agree with you as far as celebrities' public personnas go...none are what they may appear to be.

But, you must have some serious inside info on Phil/Bones to keep on with the whole "the way he dismissed Bones" thing. All evidence--reported or otherwise--suggest it was a mutual parting of ways.

Or--and this is the most likely scenario--you are a troll, loving the way folks get riled up over a silly message board post!!

Thanks for at least trying to see my point of view. Celebrities such as Phil live in a different world than our world, and Jim Mackay is not a part of that world - that’s all I will say.

Do I believe what I write? Yes. I firmly believe there is more to the story when it comes to Phil in the blanks Mickelson.

And, yes, that’s a real nickname.

I’m sorry to the people who call me names like troll, fool, or whatever. I will not lock horns with anyone on a message board, and I will not pass judgement on people at a message board. I think you’re all essentially good people. We share the game of golf but as expected, we differ in regard to individual opinions and views, and that’s what makes for good exchanges.

From the article:

Thanks for at least trying to see my point of view. Celebrities such as Phil live in a different world than our world, and Jim Mackay is not a part of that world - that’s all I will say.

Do I believe what I write? Yes. I firmly believe there is more to the story when it comes to Phil in the blanks Mickelson.

I’m sorry to the people who call me names like troll, fool, or whatever. I will not lock horns with anyone on a message board, and I will not pass judgement on people at a message board. I think you’re all essentially good people. We share the game of golf but as expected, we differ in regard to individual opinions and views, and that’s what makes for good exchanges.

Sadly there is a saying that truly applies to almost every single "celebrity". "All is not as it may seem."

I believe your reply is probably dead on - Phil is a primadonna in the game. That would be hard for anyone to have to (try to) deal with. In reality there are only a handful on tour - those players who have the HUGE crowds following them. For some, that following is an addiction and begins to mean as much or more than even the competition itself. For others it is just a part of their work life. I cannot help but wonder how much of Phil's persona is an act. Note that I wonder this about just about any celebrity having rubbed elbows with some over the years - and having learned the so-called "hard way" just how arrogant and pompous some of them actually are. Their money gives them great power. That power is both real and perceived.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

From the article:

If Phil is fake as you claim then he's one of the best actors out there because he's a fan favorite, always seems to go out of his way for the fans and overall has a good reputation on the Tour. Usually a guy that is fake, slips up, makes a mistake and people are all too happy to blab about it on social media.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

From the article:

The problem with your opinion on Phil is that it is your opinion and not based on facts. If it was a fact that Phil did something wrong then so be it, we can discuss that. If you want to discuss the fact Tiger was pulled over for a DUI, I was involved in that discussion, but I tried to discuss it objectively.

The only fact we know is that Bones is no longer Phil's caddie, and that Phil might have, maybe fired him. If he did fire him we don't even know why, and if he did fire him so what? Sometimes people need to be fired, long term when they are both parties are happier even if there is some short term grief.

Your post remind me of the media in this day and age, on both sides of the aisle. Too much surmising, too much subjectivity, too many feelings being hurt by things people think might happen, wished they happened, or just little fantasies bouncing around in peoples heads.

I have no problem if someone criticizes Phil here if it's deserved, in this case I have yet to hear one thing that is deserved. If something does come along that deserves criticism then I will be less apt to believe it because of the "fake news" agenda that Fergy is spewing. It's just frustrating reading this sort of rubbish and realizing there are actually people who live their lives this way. No one is perfect, not Phil, not me, no one, but just listening to and reading all the constant negativity is getting old. I am tired of it and I am calling people out on it. Enough said.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The problem with your opinion on Phil is that it is your opinion and not based on facts.

The only fact we know is that Bones is no longer Phil's caddie, and that Phil might have, maybe fired him.

We know that Phil was gambling.

We know that there have been stories before that indicated that Phil isn't very popular on the tour.

And we know that money and power tend to change people.

Is Phil still betting? I don't know but regardless there was a problem before.

Are the stories about Phil being unpopular true? Only those on tour know. But nicknames going back to his college days (DIGJAM) sort of indicate a possible issue with his personality and popularity.

Has money changed Phil? Or power? This is the one I personally have a problem with because he just seems like such a nice and genuine person. But I think it can reasonably be assumed that he isn't used to having anyone tell him no very often if at all.

It really isn't hard to comprehend how this might be possible. Imagine anything you want anytime you want it is there for you to ask for. When you are in a crowd everyone in the crowd knows you - and they love you. Your name is known internationally. Some would do anything just to be in your company. You have enough money that you never have to work another day of your life if you don't want to. And when you speak your opinion matters (or so you think) so much so that even if you don't really have the education or credentials to be speaking out about an issue droves of people will fall into line with whatever thought processes you are sharing. And you have an army of people being paid to maintain your image.

This is the world of a celebrity. They don't like not getting their way. And like it or not the most popular of our heroes on the tour are celebrities and thus may fall victim to their own fame. I am NOT saying that this is 100% the case with Phil - but it is very, very possible.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Good post my Medic, lots of truth there.

Phil likes to gamble, yes that's true, but not necessarily illegal, so what's the point?

Some people don't like Phil, okay, some do...

I just don't get the point of any of these posts.

Think about how "horrible" Phil is compared to athletes in other sports, killing people, robbing people, drug use, PED use, sex, drugs, rock and roll, punching WAG;s, In any sport other than golf Phil would be considered a saint. A role model. Goody two shoes.

The more I read all your posts the more I root for Phil and think that Bones is the bad guy.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Phil's popularity on tour is reliant on which players you talk to. There are many that think he's a pompous Word not allowed. There are also very many that think he's a great guy and family man. How many players would turn their car around after just losing the U.S. Open and drive back to tip a locker room attendant they forgot to tip? Not many, but he did.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

How many players would turn their car around after just losing the U.S. Open and drive back to tip a locker room attendant they forgot to tip? Not many, but he did.

Any chance that Phil's handlers made sure:

1. That this took place.

2. That the press was notified about it.

Look, I am as big a Phil fan as the next guy. But as I said, all is not as it may seem truly applies where money, power, and control are concerned. Those with money can often control the message. Control the message and you control the reaction. Control the reaction and you control the outcome.

Inside and outside of golf these facts cannot be denied.

Phil's reactions to major wins was as genuine as genuine can be. His love for Amy is pretty evident also. But who knows what was going on behind the scenes when it comes to his employees?

Having worked with and for EXTREMELY affluent people I can attest to one simple fact. They get their way every time or someone is going to pay a price for it. Absolute power corrupting absolutely as it were.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Anything is possible. I tend to take people at face value until I find out different

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

Anything is possible. I tend to take people at face value until I find out different

I wish I could - honestly. But I have become a bit jaded.

Unless Bones were to write a tell-all book odds are we won't ever know what "really" happened. (if anything)

And one thing that cannot be argued. Phil is one of the most talented players on the planet and is arguably the greatest left handed player ever. Even my wife, who watches very little golf, LOVES watching his short game. So regardless of the behind the scenes crap he is doing his job in reality - entertainment. When all is said and done that's the crux of the tour after all. And I can't imagine anyone saying he isn't "good for the game".

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Unless Bones were to write a tell-all book odds are we won't ever know what "really" happened. (if anything)

And one thing that cannot be argued. Phil is one of the most talented players on the planet and is arguably the greatest left handed player ever. Even my wife, who watches very little golf, LOVES watching his short game. So regardless of the behind the scenes crap he is doing his job in reality - entertainment. When all is said and done that's the crux of the tour after all. And I can't imagine anyone saying he isn't "good for the game".

Every story has two sides, I'm sure Bones isn't the saint that everyone would like to think he is. People are flawed, despite that, they can stick together for a long time overlooking each others flaws until the time comes that they can't. Phil isn't perfect but Bones probably isn't either.

We learned with Tiger and Stevie that great partnerships can fail and both parties share responsibility for it. I read Hanks and Stevie's books, I also paid attention to how Stevie acted when he started caddying for Scott. Seems most good - great caddies all like to think they are a lot more responsible for their pro's success than they really were.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The only thing that matters to Phil is winning. If he thought he could do it with Bones he would keep him.

He is rich enough that only wins mean anything.

I just think that it is a stale relationship and Phil thinks something new will increase hit motivation and chance of winning.

After 25 years they know what the other is going to say before they say it.

Its great to have a caddie that makes recommendations, but if you heard them all before, and are not going to take them it just a source of doubt.

Time to move on.

The only thing that matters to Phil is winning. If he thought he could do it with Bones he would keep him.

He is rich enough that only wins mean anything.

I just think that it is a stale relationship and Phil thinks something new will increase hit motivation and chance of winning.

After 25 years they know what the other is going to say before they say it.

Its great to have a caddie that makes recommendations, but if you heard them all before, and are not going to take them it just a source of doubt.

Time to move on.

Exactly golf is evolving and Phil might feel a new caddie (Tim) with a fresh perspective and energy will help his game.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Every story has two sides, I'm sure Bones isn't the saint that everyone would like to think he is. People are flawed, despite that, they can stick together for a long time overlooking each others flaws until the time comes that they can't. Phil isn't perfect but Bones probably isn't either.

We learned with Tiger and Stevie that great partnerships can fail and both parties share responsibility for it. I read Hanks and Stevie's books, I also paid attention to how Stevie acted when he started caddying for Scott. Seems most good - great caddies all like to think they are a lot more responsible for their pro's success than they really were.

Well written and points well taken. I believe a caddie who is a friend is going to help to calm the pro down and keep him focused. Better players seem to stick with the same caddie as opposed to constantly trying new ones; got to be a reason for that.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Hear! Hear!

Some are so judgmental.

Some suggest that Phil's actions are for "show", without any proof. Some suggest that his personna with the fans is "fake", without any proof.

I have no idea whether Phil's actions are genuine or not. I have no idea if his charitable and hospitable actions are genuine or not. I suspect that none of you do either.

What I do know is this: whether it is genuine or orchestrated, it promotes good will and is good for the tour.

I try to see the best in people unless I'm given reason to do otherwise.

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

Good post my Medic, lots of truth there.

Phil likes to gamble, yes that's true, but not necessarily illegal, so what's the point?

Some people don't like Phil, okay, some do...

I just don't get the point of any of these posts.

Think about how "horrible" Phil is compared to athletes in other sports, killing people, robbing people, drug use, PED use, sex, drugs, rock and roll, punching WAG;s, In any sport other than golf Phil would be considered a saint. A role model. Goody two shoes.

The more I read all your posts the more I root for Phil and think that Bones is the bad guy.

Nope, gambling isn't illegal. But legal issues come up when he owes his bookie money and that bookie feeds him a tip, he invests, makes a profit and uses that money to pay the bookie back.

He wasn't convicted of insider trading. But he was very very involved in the case.

Does that make Phil a bad person? No. But is does change his squeaky clean image a bit.

And we know it's not the first time his gambling has been discussed.

It was speculated that the character that Don Johnson portrayed in the movie was based on Phil. I don't know. He seems like a really decent guy when you see him at tournaments, there are any number of stories of him tipping club staff very well. It is well also to consider the jealousy factor from other pro's who do not get the attention or make anywhere near that the money Phil does. Also, I would assume he is like us all in that sometimes we are not gracious all the time, and is isolated cases can be an a**. There have been more than one occasion where Phil voiced personal negative opinions about the way the tour is run, and about Ryder Cup leadership (he could have been right, but it didn't set well with many).

You (he) can't be popular with everyone. Unfortunately, in this era of social internet there seems to be a more negative opinions than ever.

I will go along with the majority until proven wrong.........seems like a good guy to me.

According to many including Davis Love III, Phil was 100 % right about Ryder Cup philosophy. Davis said Phil's comments after the last Ryder Cup loss made a lot guys take a deep dark look into the way a lot of things were done.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

I think he was right also, but, it should have been said behind closed doors, not on TV.

That's why people run hot and cold on Type A personalities like Phil. Easy to like and easy to dislike.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

I think he was right also, but, it should have been said behind closed doors, not on TV.

That's why people run hot and cold on Type A personalities like Phil. Easy to like and easy to dislike.

And one thing that hasn't been discussed too much to this point and is definitely a factor. Imagine the pressure these guys are under.

From sponsors.

To feed their families and pay the bills.

And this list could go on.

Phil is a performer under pressure. No one can deny this and all should respect it.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft