2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I've been demoing a P790 7-iron at my local.

Look, finish and setup are all super solid, and the feel is okay... but I wonder about distance control with these, especially in the short irons. Definitely seeing a few hot shots where the extra distance just felt a little unpredictable.

Still, it's a very nice iron, worth a look.

My local fitter (who I trust, small shop guy) said the 790s are the best "performing" irons he's ever seen TM put out. Now I assume he means that from a launch and distance type of perspective, because everything I've seen so far puts these firmly in the "lower spin" category.

I'm really at an impasse right now because I would like a new set for 2018 but I'm just not good enough for a real players iron. However, I am lowering my scores and I don't need that 180 yard 7i that spins mega low... I need even my 6i to hold a green, and I'll probably never get that from any of the irons my HC would dictate I play. These 790s also go really high it seems, so weakening the lofts may not be the answer here either.

saw 2 sets get sold yesterday -- fwiw

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

My local fitter (who I trust, small shop guy) said the 790s are the best "performing" irons he's ever seen TM put out. Now I assume he means that from a launch and distance type of perspective, because everything I've seen so far puts these firmly in the "lower spin" category.

I'm really at an impasse right now because I would like a new set for 2018 but I'm just not good enough for a real players iron. However, I am lowering my scores and I don't need that 180 yard 7i that spins mega low... I need even my 6i to hold a green, and I'll probably never get that from any of the irons my HC would dictate I play. These 790s also go really high it seems, so weakening the lofts may not be the answer here either.

I think you would be surprised at how forgiving and easy to hit these irons are. I have no issues getting a 6 iron to hold within a couple feet of where it hits the green. High launch, low spin with a steep landing angle make these irons very playable. I haven't played away from a flag for fear of the ball not stopping. Good contact yields good results in my experience with the P790's.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

But I like really really like my Srixon 765's...

No you don't

765s blow out any players clubs this year.

Don't think they are an apples to apples comparison to 790's though. 565's compare more favorably to the 790's

You think so? After spending some LM time with the 790 7 iron over the weekend I came away super impressed and thought they do compare to the 765's. Although I think the 790's are even stronger lofted.

I did not look down at the P790 7 iron and think it looked huge or like a shovel. It looks great at address. The biggest thing when comparing to the 765's is going to be the feels. The 765's definitely feel softer but the 790's feel powerful. They make a certain sound that when you hit it well you know it. Not harsh but a really solid crack. The stock shaft that was in spun A LOT though and launched too high.

I think you would be surprised at how forgiving and easy to hit these irons are. I have no issues getting a 6 iron to hold within a couple feet of where it hits the green. High launch, low spin with a steep landing angle make these irons very playable. I haven't played away from a flag for fear of the ball not stopping. Good contact yields good results in my experience with the P790's.

Well that is good to hear. Right now my Rballz 6i won't hold it's landing spot too well for me. Unless I carry right to the front of the green I'm usally right on the ball, or even off the back into the rough. Not playing a low spin shaft either.

Hit the 7i on Sunday, stock stiff - when I buy my long irons, I'll be bending them weak. These irons are pretty darn long and low spin.

3d96d630b81e57657fd62272d658b98c.jpg

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Cleaned up the last few pages. Please limit this thread to discussion of the irons themselves, and also please don't post run and get into bickering debates with other members.

Carry on.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Are those "blue zones" the ideal characteristics of a 7 iron shot?

it's what trackman uses based on your swing speed and the noted club to determine your optimal performance metrics or "honey badger" numbers. it's great for fitting to find out where your best setup should get you.

it's also a great tool to see the TRUE possibilities of a fitting. "oh i carry it 300 with my driver" is easily proven false/true in a few swings...

Was very impressed with these irons when I hit them the other day. Crisp feel and didn't sound as clicky as I'd expect from an iron like this. Ordered the 3 iron on the spot to replace my 712U 2 iron. If you're looking for a 2 iron UDI I talked to a local rep who said the 2 iron will be available in March. It'll be 17 degrees with a little less offset and a little thinner topline than the current P790 long irons.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG4 Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x (2024)

That sounds great! Wish I could spend a day on that thing. I'm sure it pumps out some crucial information. Thanks for posting the info/pics!

was going to say if you were up my way to get in touch -- saw you're from Houston. Just wanted to give you my best -- hope you and your family are safe down there.

I am getting these for my bday. Can't decide between Modus 105 and 120. I use and like Diamana Whiteboard because I get along with a shaft that is more butt soft. I think the 120 fits that??

Modus 120 has a softer Butt profile and can really feel the load and unload in the hands with the swing!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I am getting these for my bday. Can't decide between Modus 105 and 120. I use and like Diamana Whiteboard because I get along with a shaft that is more butt soft. I think the 120 fits that??

Modus 120 has a softer Butt profile and can really feel the load and unload in the hands with the swing!

I've got the 120x in my 770's and ordered the 790 3i with the 120xt. Love those things!

Correct. I play with Whiteboard shafts in my woods and hybrids and Modus 120 in my irons. I like that combo.

I'm very tempted to get those 790's, so easy to hit but I will wait until TM fitter gets to my home course in 10 days so I can try them with different shafts.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

So, ordered mine and they have been stuck on the truck for delivery since Thursday. Call FedEx and guess what, they are not on the truck, they cannot find them. So I have no idea if I am going to get my set by Friday (when I leave for a golf trip). Not overly happy right now.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Correct. I play with Whiteboard shafts in my woods and hybrids and Modus 120 in my irons. I like that combo.

I'm very tempted to get those 790's, so easy to hit but I will wait until TM fitter gets to my home course in 10 days so I can try them with different shafts.

Thanks guys. This is reassuring and I wil back it up during a fitting. Appreciate it.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So, ordered mine and they have been stuck on the truck for delivery since Thursday. Call FedEx and guess what, they are not on the truck, they cannot find them. So I have no idea if I am going to get my set by Friday (when I leave for a golf trip). Not overly happy right now.

Bob Parsons is now stealing irons off of delivery trucks!

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Just pulled the trigger on the 3-5 with Ctaper X ss1. Had a chance to see these things in person yesterday and take a couple swipes. Wow is this a good looking club. Maybe one of the best irons I've seen, aesthetically speaking. Really really clean looking and not nearly as big or GI looking in person (this is coming from a MB user). I play pretty standard (non jacked) lofts, so I ordered the 4 and 5 irons at 2deg weak to help match up with my MB2's. 3i I kept at stock loft as I use a 2i now and wanted to keep it more of a DI type club. Gave me a ship date of 9/24 so we shall see if that holds up.

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

Hit the 790s today and I was very impressed. I liked the feel, very sweet on pure shots but you know where on the face you hit them. Flight is long, high and straight. I wasn't on a monitor so I don't have numbers but I was definitely impressed. Liked the look at address other than the offset which Id say about any retail iron.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

What is everyones thoughts with with KBS Tour FLT? I have a problem with ballooning irons, so I wanted a lower trajectory shaft. I am a mid/high handicap though, so not sure how it'll work out?

I know, I know..."go get fit" - I cant. Only big box stores around here, and they only demo the stock shaft

I have a set coming - sounds like everything's in stock, so the Rep said they should be here by the end of the week !

They were put into the system Sunday afternoon.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Was very impressed with these irons when I hit them the other day. Crisp feel and didn't sound as clicky as I'd expect from an iron like this. Ordered the 3 iron on the spot to replace my 712U 2 iron. If you're looking for a 2 iron UDI I talked to a local rep who said the 2 iron will be available in March. It'll be 17 degrees with a little less offset and a little thinner topline than the current P790 long irons.

Upon hearing the same I ordered a 3 iron to go with to go with my 4-GW. Had it strengthened by 2 degrees down to 17, should be a beast.

I have a set coming - sounds like everything's in stock, so the Rep said they should be here by the end of the week !

Will be interested in your comments on the P790 once you have some time with them if possible in Minnesota.

Hope you sell your PXG irons on BST ASAP!

Don't forget to change that sig.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Will be interested in your comments on the P790 once you have some time with them if possible in Minnesota.

Hope you sell your PXG irons on BST ASAP!

Don't forget to change that sig.

you're unrelenting.