Rory/Day/DJ will never win another major

golfer929

He could and should be dominating golf. The fact he'd rather not isn't great for the game or his image.

Maybe he realizes that he can't dominate golf. There is a lot of other talent out there. Finishing second at the Open is nothing to sneeze at.

Rory has 12 top 5's in majors...at 29 yrs old....pretty impressive....if he gets 6 total in his career, he is an all time great...he won 4 so fast that it really placed unreal expectations on him to get to 10 at a minimum......only a few people have done that in HISTORY....why should we expect anyone to do that ever again?

They need to peak at the right time, they need some luck, they need to have a great putting week, they need a course that suits them, and, in the British, they need to be on the right side of the draw.

Barring health issues or having their wives attack them with a wedge, Rory/Day/DJ should all get another 50 or so shots to win another major and I like their chances to come away with at least 1.

Rory said something interesting (as he often does) about Tiger. He said that Tiger can definitely win a major, and could have won last weekend, but he can't win with his B game any more, he now needs his A game.

I think he is right, but he may also have been thinking a bit about himself. Rory has won events with some less than optimal play, but it seems he too needs to bring the A game to win these days, especially in majors.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Rory only lost by 2, missed a 4 footer on the final round. Missed one similar length on Saturday. He's only an error or two away from winning a major again. Wedges also need to be tighter

DJ's putting has gone south in recent majors. Was very poor at the US Open although the greens were poor.

If Day putted for the other two, they'd win 2-3 majors a year.

Rory will be fine with 4, Day will regret too many injuries, DJ will be one of the biggest underachievers of the game.

Rory will be fine if he wins 4 more (including a green jacket) maybe. If he doesn't win another he'll be bitterly disappointed and will go down as a huge underachiever. The good news for him is that he nearly just won an Open with his B game on a baked out golf course (conditions that don't usually favour him).

Rory only lost by 2, missed a 4 footer on the final round. Missed one similar length on Saturday. He's only an error or two away from winning a major again. Wedges also need to be tighter

DJ's putting has gone south in recent majors. Was very poor at the US Open although the greens were poor.

Your comments on Rory: You can play the “If” and “Only” game all you want but at the end of the day he did miss those putts. You can play that game with anybody. “If I didn’t dunk those 3 in the lake, I would have shot 79!!” Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

DJ: Yes, greens were poor, everyone played on the same greens though in the same conditions. No excuse for that.

Day: Great putter this season, but you need it all to come together to win a major tournament on the PGA Tour. Injuries have halted his career.

The curse of WRX. Day, Rory or DJ WILL win the next major. :taunt:

So far my thread has been aging quite well, lol!

Your comments on Rory: You can play the "If" and "Only" game all you want but at the end of the day he did miss those putts. You can play that game with anybody. "If I didn't dunk those 3 in the lake, I would have shot 79!!" Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

DJ: Yes, greens were poor, everyone played on the same greens though in the same conditions. No excuse for that.

Day: Great putter this season, but you need it all to come together to win a major tournament on the PGA Tour. Injuries have halted his career.

I think if you make it through the 2020 golf season with your prediction intact, then you're probably home free. At that point it will have been six years since Rory won a major, five years for Day, and four for DJ. It's really hard to take a multi-year break from winning majors and then start winning them again.

Ridiculous post.

Ridiculous post but I’ve gone 4-4 and Rory hasn’t won a major since 2014, DJ in 2016 and Day 2015.

Your comments on Rory: You can play the "If" and "Only" game all you want but at the end of the day he did miss those putts. You can play that game with anybody. "If I didn't dunk those 3 in the lake, I would have shot 79!!" Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

I think if you make it through the 2020 golf season with your prediction intact, then you're probably home free. At that point it will have been six years since Rory won a major, five years for Day, and four for DJ. It's really hard to take a multi-year break from winning majors and then start winning them again.

I agree, these guys are on droughts right now and if it continues like that, it will only make it tougher for them. They won’t be in their primes forever!

I don't have an opinion on the prediction in the OP, but my comment is this. Maybe those guys don't care if they win majors. Maybe playing golf for a living and making truckloads of money fulfills their goals. They may never admit it while their sponsors are listening, but I think there are a lot of guys who are content with just milking the tour until they retire.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Pretty bold prediction when he made it and it's still holding up. I would have added Tiger to the list.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

c7015: As I said "ridiculous post". To think that because you (not c7015) have predicted that anyone (or 4 persons) will not win a major is not difficult. That does not make you some kind of Guru. You could pick anyone on the tour and say they won't win this tournament or the next. Predicting that the top 3 or 4 golfers will never win another major is trolling, Also, who the hell is going to sit around for the rest of their careers to verify the prediction, and then proclaim the OP as the "All seeing Eye". I predict that the OP will make other ridiculous predictions, and we won't have to wait long.

• 2 weeks later...

This week may test the OP's theory. I would think slow and soft greens would play into Rory's game pretty perfectly.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• 3 weeks later...
Four majors down and this prediction is still coming up roses.

It’s a long 25 years coming up . Be patient

They will win

I predicted that Tiger wouldn't win another major back when his then wife took a 9-iron to the family SUV with him still in it. So I definitely know what patience is when making a lifetime prediction.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

DJ will luck into one when the field fails to catch his lead. Day & Rors are done for though. Good riddance to both too.

Sounds thin on rationality. If someone / DJ has the lead… why is that luck?, and if the field can’t “catch his lead”… then why is that luck also?

And why “good riddance” to two extremely talented, respected and likeable players?

Troll? Fool? Kreskin?

2 out of 3 ain't bad there meatloaf.

None of the above, I'm telling you it won't happen. If I wrong then I think Rory will be the won to win another major, but that's it

You heard it here first, these 3 will never win another major. They all don't have the Will to Win, especially Rory. You can just see it in his eyes. He doesn't want to put in the work to be the best, he is content with just making money and that's it. He can say he wants to win all he wants but I do not believe it for 1 second.

Day has already peaked. He might win a Tour event now and again but will not close out another major. He played the best round of his life in the '15 PGA and barely edged out Spieth who did not have that great of a Sunday and was just playing the last few holes safely so he could capture World #1.

DJ will win a tour event every year but same thing as Rory is that he doesn't have the eye of the tiger. He gives in when it gets too hard for him. He played great at Oakmont I will give him that but if he gets into the thick of it on Sunday again he will not close the door. Wow he cant hit the long ball, great for him. But when it comes down to it he isn't clutch.

"Some want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen" -MJ

Great first post man! You'll fit in great here.

Thank you for the welcome, I am looking forward to posting here with you all! I hope that you are enjoying your evening! Stay well

First, welcome to the board?

While I don’t agree with your OP, I can see where you’re coming from however as was said shortly after your OP, these kids today are different mentally than generations gone by. Three years ago you woulda had 70-75% that would have bet their house that DJ would not win a Major and 95%, myself included, bet that he’d never take a US Open. And then to have done it in the manner that he did, where the USGA did everything humanly possible to give him the opportunity for a mental meltdown and he walked and Played those last three holes like Jack, Tiger or Brooks(See Guys, I’m not just stuck on the Icons of generations gone by?) would have, like a Champion.

I could see JDay not getting another however I think Rory & DJ have at least one more in the tank.

Also, you’ve handled yourself very Nicely in this thread!

Very Nicely Played??

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24