Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

I mean if you can get the same or better numbers and have a nice all black sexy driver why wouldn’t you.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to my fitter and did some additional testing... TS3 still won out.

Head weights...

915D4 (without a surefit)... 187 grams

TS3 (without weight tube)... 183 grams

If you are someone like me who uses a counterbalanced shaft at 45 inches you will definitely need to add some weight. I was playing a black weight in my D4 which got the total head weight up to 202 grams.

This is one of the best, most honest reviews I have seen. Not claiming huge ball speed gains over his Ping G400 LST but off center strikes retained ball speed really well.

First impression: like the fact they stressed the fact these are real deal shafts.

Second impression: still beat out his Ping. Even if it was by a little. When's the last time you can say a titleist driver did that?

I think this is a great move for Titleist ... I have gamed Titleist driver for a long time exception of the 917 .. just because of that tube looking weight on the bttom .. with that said this TS driver looks reallly good and from the sounds of it has a ton of technology. I have always love the look of Titleist drivers and metal woods..I mean no one has a more sexy driver head then Titleist. It’s littery a perfect shape ... . with that said I can’t wait to give the TS a rip and see if it compares to my current set up ..

Call me crazy but I actually felt that thinner face when I hit one yesterday. Felt really good.

Any retailer that offers more than 60 days playability guarantees?

Dont know if you're crazy or not but I will definitely agree with you. When I did my fitting Thursday I swear I could feel the ball jumping off/springing off the face.

Not quite the feeling I have with my 917.

Had my fitting today. They kind of rushed me through as their was 4 guys behind me. I’m going to order the Evenflow as long as the Tensei white isn’t an upcharge (didn’t get to hit the Tensei white), but they actually said my Diamana whiteboard 70 that I have in my 917 fits me best. The numbers were my averages.

I had a fitting today and placed my order.

Surprisingly, I went with the ts2!! 8.5 degree head with 6.5x evenflow white at 45.5 inches with mcc +4. Set at A1.

The ts3 was not as forgiving to me. Straight bombs with the ts2. The sound and feel are perfect on this series. Definitely longer than the 917 d3 9.5 diamana white in my bag now. I think the ts seems to launcher easier with less spin. This is echoed by Rick Sheils review as well.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

No fitting but I hit both today with the various stock shafts. The TS2 was a much better match for me. Felt great, very forgiving, and long. The head shape did not bother me at all. It did launch very low for me. They didn't have an 11.5* but I feel like I could play it with Smoke stiff and be happy. I'm not sure if it will replace my G400 Max but it was very promising.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I managed to get a TS3 out for a spin today and I definitely liked what I saw. I took it out with the Even Flow and chopped and changed between that and the Diamana D+ that I have used since 2013.

It certainly seemed like it was getting out there a decent amount. The fairways were pretty damp so it was hard to figure out just exactly how far it was going in comparison to my 917D2 but I am definitely looking forward to getting it onto the launch monitor and seeing what the numbers look like on that.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For those of you that have been luck enough to try all the shafts out there, does anyone know which (or if any) of the stock shafts would closely match the feel and performance of a Tensei White Pro? My first thought was that the T1100 material has the same effect as the boron tip, but I've never been a Project X guy, so any comparison information would be great.

Thanks in advance!

This may be the first Titleist driver that can hang with Taylormade, Ping, and Callaway distances.. And may even top their dispersion.

I haven't gamed a Titleist driver since my 913, and before that nothing since the 905 and the 975 J (D was so unforgiving). The TS3 could very well bring me back and unseat my AB TP.

Good for them.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Surprisingly, I went with the ts2!! 8.5 degree head with 6.5x evenflow white at 45.5 inches with mcc +4. Set at A1.

The ts3 was not as forgiving to me. Straight bombs with the ts2. The sound and feel are perfect on this series. Definitely longer than the 917 d3 9.5 diamana white in my bag now. I think the ts seems to launcher easier with less spin. This is echoed by Rick Sheils review as well.

Same here - got fit and ordered the TS2 with Evenflow White shaft. The TS2 was straighter, launched higher and I thought felt better. I didn’t get along with the Hzrdus Smoke shaft; counterbalance = left for me.

Same here - got fit and ordered the TS2 with Evenflow White shaft. The TS2 was straighter, launched higher and I thought felt better. I didn’t get along with the Hzrdus Smoke shaft; counterbalance = left for me.

The smoke isn’t counterbalanced. It’s very neutral balance point.

The smoke isn’t counterbalanced. It’s very neutral balance point.

Not according to Titleist.

Same here - got fit and ordered the TS2 with Evenflow White shaft. The TS2 was straighter, launched higher and I thought felt better. I didn't get along with the Hzrdus Smoke shaft; counterbalance = left for me.

The smoke isn't counterbalanced. It's very neutral balance point.

Higher balance point vs the Hazurdus Black as discussed at length. It actually has a neutral balance point with the EFW having a higher balance point. Neither are counterbalanced. You can have a high balance point and will produce lighter swing weights. And those worried about the heads not being heavy, just not the case. The Kuro Kage and tensei both have straight flight weights installed at the inside the shaft at the bottom edge of the grip about 11" down. The heads need to be a touch heavier for this to even out. The torque might have been you problem with the smoke as it has been soften dramatically vs the 1st gen black. The 5.5 is 4.0° and the 6.0 and 6.5 are 3.5°. The Evenflow white is 3° I believe. Counterbalance would also in effect speed up the hand/handle/hook and encourage a draw/pull with a weaker tip shaft.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

The shaft you ordered is more Counter Balanced than the Smoke. The Smoke is more evenly weighted compared to the Black. The Black was heavily weighted towards the tip which equaled very high swing weights. The Smoke is weighted evenly like a standard shaft and will equal normal swing weights. This can be verified with True Temper

Same here - got fit and ordered the TS2 with Evenflow White shaft. The TS2 was straighter, launched higher and I thought felt better. I didn't get along with the Hzrdus Smoke shaft; counterbalance = left for me.

Higher balance point vs the Hazurdus Black as discussed at length. It actually has a neutral balance point with the EFW having a higher balance point. Neither are counterbalanced. You can have a high balance point and will produce lighter swing weights. And those worried about the heads not being heavy, just not the case. The Kuro Kage and tensei both have straight flight weights installed at the inside the shaft at the bottom edge of the grip about 11" down. The heads need to be a touch heavier for this to even out. The torque might have been you problem with the smoke as it has been soften dramatically vs the 1st gen black. The 5.5 is 4.0° and the 6.0 and 6.5 are 3.5°. The Evenflow white is 3° I believe. Counterbalance would also in effect speed up the hand/handle/hook and encourage a draw/pull with a weaker tip shaft.

Read post #65 by TrueTemper

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1663786-new-project-x-hzrdus-smoke-shaft-2018/page__st__60

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

Interesting.....thanks for the clarification.

Just hit the ts2 and 3 at my local dicks on a gc2 without hmt, compared to my 917d2 with a hzrdus red, swapping heads didn't make too much of a difference in terms of anything. Kept my same 250-258 carry and 270-280 roll out with all 3, consistancy was slightly better with the ts3(with one low spin bomber that went to 292), but nothing that an errant swing couldn't explain. Spin was down by ~200 overall with both. At this point I think getting fit for a new shaft would be a more cost efficient option for myself. That and maybe working out once in a while....

Overall liked the look of the ts2 and 3 more than my 917, but I couldn't shell out that much cash for the minimal gains I saw. I'd probably end up with the ts3 simply because I like the head shape

Tried both of the drivers today against my M1 440. Ballspeed was within a couple mph, and they didn't have a shaft that got me below 3300rpm. I'm not overly surprised, as I play shafts that are stouter than typical (right now a Kuro Kage XT proto that's tipped 1"), so I didn't hold that against them.

The part that disappointed me the most was my dispersion on my M1 was about 10yd - could throw a blanket over a handful of shots. The dispersion with each of the titleist combos I tried was 20yds each side (so 40yds total vs my 10yds), and the salesman tried the classic BS tactic where he picks the single longest ball with the TS3 and compares it to the avg with my M1 and raves about the distance gain. When I pointed out the dispersion, he removed a couple shots with the Titleists to try and make the dispersion circle smaller, but it was still atrocious. After that discussion, the goof still finished with "So should I send your info to the pro shop so they can place your order?" Lol, no you idiot. I like hitting fairways. If you're going to try anything, suggest another test when you've got more shaft options instead of trying to sell me something that flat out does not perform for me.

TL;DR - Drivers were not noticeably better than my (nearly) 2 year old Taylormade. Fitter/sales rep was one of the worst I've seen.

Tried both of the drivers today against my M1 440. Ballspeed was within a couple mph, and they didn't have a shaft that got me below 3300rpm. I'm not overly surprised, as I play shafts that are stouter than typical (right now a Kuro Kage XT proto that's tipped 1"), so I didn't hold that against them.

The part that disappointed me the most was my dispersion on my M1 was about 10yd - could throw a blanket over a handful of shots. The dispersion with each of the titleist combos I tried was 20yds each side (so 40yds total vs my 10yds), and the salesman tried the classic BS tactic where he picks the single longest ball with the TS3 and compares it to the avg with my M1 and raves about the distance gain. When I pointed out the dispersion, he removed a couple shots with the Titleists to try and make the dispersion circle smaller, but it was still atrocious. After that discussion, the goof still finished with "So should I send your info to the pro shop so they can place your order?" Lol, no you idiot. I like hitting fairways. If you're going to try anything, suggest another test when you've got more shaft options instead of trying to sell me something that flat out does not perform for me.

TL;DR - Drivers were not noticeably better than my (nearly) 2 year old Taylormade. Fitter/sales rep was one of the worst I've seen.

You’re admittedly using shafts in the fitting that aren’t even close to what you normally use in your gamer....that you are quite used to....and you think the dispersion should still be good? Why? If the shaft is that wrong for you why would it be accurate?

Thats nonsensical.

Had a fitting today, but didn’t hit the TS2 as it seems the lefty heads are still scarce near me. Compared to my Epic the TS3 outperformed it on ball speed by about 2 mph. The impressive part to me was that the ball speed was very consistent on off center hits where I lost more speed on those with my Epic. I was also impressed with the spin. I was able to decrease the spin by 300 mph using the TS3 head and the HZrdus Smoke compared to my KuroKage XD in the Epic.

I’m going to go back to hit the TS2 with the same setup and also change the tip of my XD to see how it performs in the TS series.

Overall I think this is a win for Titleist.

You’re admittedly using shafts in the fitting that aren’t even close to what you normally use in your gamer....that you are quite used to....and you think the dispersion should still be good? Why? If the shaft is that wrong for you why would it be accurate?

Thats nonsensical.

If you re-read my post carefully, you'll notice I'm hating on the fitter, not the club. Just like I don't blame them for not being able to lower the spin, I can't expect them to tighten the dispersion when they don't have shafts on the cart that work for me. As I stated before, he could have at least suggested I try other shaft/head combos that he didn't have with him today instead of assuming I wanted to order the stuff that didn't work for my swing.

Thats nonsensical.

How dare you question the most accurate driver in the world! ? Seriously though, only missing 5 yards off center is pretty straight. In my opinion, if you can do that with one driver...you can do that with any out there as long as it’s fit for you. Obviously in this case it wasn’t.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Want to try the 80g Smoke before ordering....is it in the fitting cart?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Thats nonsensical.

If you re-read my post carefully, you'll notice I'm hating on the fitter, not the club. Just like I don't blame them for not being able to lower the spin, I can't expect them to tighten the dispersion when they don't have shafts on the cart that work for me. As I stated before, he could have at least suggested I try other shaft/head combos that he didn't have with him today instead of assuming I wanted to order the stuff that didn't work for my swing.

You must spin it around 3k with your XT. There's no way there is more than a few hundred RPM's difference between the Even Flow and XT. I own and play an XT and while it is a very low spin shaft, I have played other low/low shafts and haven't seen more than a difference of a couple hundred RPM's.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Played with a buddy who had the TS3 9.5 with PX White 6.0 and I hit about 5 drives. After the first swing I knew the PX White is a bit too stout for my swing but I was able to load a few and was hitting my second shots from distances I have never been before. Im about 100mph SS but my buddy is about 110mph and he was bombing them over 300 quite a bit. Very impressed so far!!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo