Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Adam Scott is putting it in play this week after his recent departure from the 917. Also looked like he switched to KBS Tour shafts in his irons.

IT is also in Doug Ghim's bag as well. Just thought that I would share.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Looks like a Titleist driver. They don't push the envelope, and they may not have the highest ball speeds of all available options, but they perform. I'm intrigued to try them.

Isnt ball speeds super important? What other factors are there?

If you are only chasing distance. Many of us would sacrifice a couple of MPH of ball speed to stay in the fairway instead of trees, rough, fairway bunkers etc. Accuracy > 4 yards all day.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Hopefully it will be released soon. Does Titleist release drivers in November in the hopes of a big xmas sales numbers? Why not release when people are really looking to buy new equipment during peak golf season or perhaps in Spring when people are brushing off winter and inkling to play.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I don’t think Xmas is a big club selling period. Bags,Shoes, Putters, but probably the fewest drivers of any months in the U.S.....Agree Titleist always seemed out of step with the rest of the industry. By the time the spring sales time rolls around February-April with demo meetings, they are old news and the can’t miss stuff comes out in time for spring fever. They don’t seem to care sticking to their little circular production/ club, season chart. Probably because balls is the money maker. Ping seems to have learned that October/November is losing sales and are moving to late summer early fall..

Someone somewhere has to have a date. Hopefully not the usual timing but not holding my breath...

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

When I first opened the thread and saw the TS2 sole, I immediately thought Ping G400. The sound from Jimmy Walker's teaser IG video was great. Can't wait to hear more about these!

Ping G400 came inmediately to my head too

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

So Titleist said, "Let's make our new driver have the same shape as the Callaway Epic. Yeah, that works, but the sole design should have the same look and weight port as the PING G400. OK, done. Wait, why not make the graphics design look like Taylormade's R9? Alright, now we've got something here. Let's charge, say, $549 -599 and we can sit back for two years, knowing we're way behind everyone in driver tech... again!"

There is literally no amount of eye rolling that would do this post justice. Good grief...

It's the Nike crowd, they're unhappy without cavity back woods in red, glow in the dark, and blue crowns

Good call, except I've never even hit a Nike club. Ever. I know a lot of guys love to play a complete Titleist setup, and no bag setup looks more "player" then one of their bags with all Titleist headcovers and clubs inside. I love their irons, going back to the DCI's, but sorry, they've been a step above Mizuno in their driver and fairway woods for years. Way behind TM, Cally, and even PING. Now let's sit back and see how wrong I am on the price point.

A 550-600 dollar driver would retail for 500-550 a few months after launch. That doesn't sound out of the ordinary for Titleist. I know you can get a Callaway or TM for 150 bucks MSRP a few months after launch.

Really? You tell me where. While you're looking, check out the TM and Cally total driver sales versus Titleist. I don't play any of the 3, but it's almost not even fair to compare them. Titleist is a fading 4th in market share, due solely to lack of innovation in their drivers. Always at least a cycle behind the others in tech.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I should have known I was going to walk back into the same collection of comments about Titleist's lack of ball speeds, insane spin numbers, and overall poor performing drivers. When properly fit, Titleist drivers are incredibly effective. There's a lot more to this game than the ball speed number we are getting on Trackman. Fairways (and even some spin) are your friend and that seems to get lost on here sometimes.

I should have known I was going to walk back into the same collection of comments about Titleist's lack of ball speeds, insane spin numbers, and overall poor performing drivers. When properly fit, Titleist drivers are incredibly effective. There's a lot more to this game than the ball speed number we are getting on Trackman. Fairways (and even some spin) are your friend and that seems to get lost on here sometimes.

The last fitting I had, the Titleist fitter was trying to get me MORE spin for max carry, not less. I'm turning 50 soon- I'm not 25 anymore. He wanted my spin to be around 2600.

The last fitting I had, the Titleist fitter was trying to get me MORE spin for max carry, not less. I'm turning 50 soon- I'm not 25 anymore. He wanted my spin to be around 2600.

I couldn't agree more. Proper spin is essential for minimizing dispersion on off-center hits. If someone told me I could hit it 8 yards less, but increase my fairways hit per round from 7 to 11, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat. I am in this to give myself the best opportunity to shoot lower scores, not hit it a few paces past my buddies.

I currently don't play a Titleist driver, but it makes me a little crazy every couple of years to hear that "Titleist drivers are inferior!!!"

The TS3 looks pretty good, love that they went back to the black, the grey never looked right to me on the 917. Hopefully the feel is closer to the 910, look forward to getting my hands on one but it will take something special to knock my gamer out.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Does anybody have inside knowledge as to why they are starting the engine on the hype-train so early for this driver? We are still looking at a November release right?

I was wondering this too. They usually are testing for the 4th of July tourney so we’re approx a month ahead of schedule here. C’mon, late summer release!!

910D2 9.5
910FD 15
910F 19
716 AP1 5-PW
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58
SC Select NP 2.0

So Titleist said, "Let's make our new driver have the same shape as the Callaway Epic. Yeah, that works, but the sole design should have the same look and weight port as the PING G400. OK, done. Wait, why not make the graphics design look like Taylormade's R9? Alright, now we've got something here. Let's charge, say, $549 -599 and we can sit back for two years, knowing we're way behind everyone in driver tech... again!"

I think you meant to say "behind in marketing". The marketing of Callaway & Taylormade is what drives those OEM's to the top is driver sales. Jailbreak, hammerhead, dragonfly, turbulators it's all a bunch of marketing jargon not technology, You might perceive it as technology because it's something new and you can see it on the club head. When it comes down to it I believe that you will see the these drivers will perform as well or better than any of the top OEM's.

exactly, people believe all the B.S......

ever seen a driver head cut open, there isn't any special internals to speak of...its a shell of metal

Extreme forward weighting which most can't use with any consistency is only thing changed in last 10yrs.....hit 1 knuckleball a round that goes forever and rest can't find the fairway....its good for some but not the masses

Got to say... the lack of actual info about the clubs is disappointing.

Here is a sports car. Enjoy the way it looks. Has a 4 cylinder engine... but looks good. See... just look at the pic.

Its going through "tour validation" right now. They dont know the specs! Once they get the data from the the pro's they will build them for us duh!!! :taunt:

I hate to say it, but the WRX Validation is all that matters around these parts lol. The spinometer test takes 80% of the weighting for the test cases.

ya kinda have a point. These guys would ride a three legged mule ten miles to a liquor store to buy a half spent bottle of white lightening just so they could use it for charcoal starter.

Man -you honestly made me chuckle here-so true!!!!!