Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

Like most here... they both look good, but the lack of visible tech has me concerned that it may just be another run of the mill Titleist offering. Even if the other OEM's tech is just marketing, it creates perceived value. Also, disappointed that we don't see multi material. I just don't see anything innovative.

Without any insight into the tech or performance numbers, the only thing these drivers really have going for them is that they say "Titleist" on the side.

Will be Interesting to see when the Youtubers get their demo's and release the review videos.

So you think a company should go the multi material route for perception even though it does nothing for performance. Just more cost and a higher rate of failure? Makes sense.

No, I think Multi Material is real tech that allows manufacturers "free weight" to move into other areas of the club head that can significantly impact performance. I also like the look, sound, and feel of multi material heads.

The marketing tech I'm referring to are things like: "active recoils channels", sliding weight tracks, "Jailbreak", "Hammer Head" Slots, "Tubulators", "Smartpad", etc. Whether these things actually affect performance or not, I think consumers will be more inclined to buy when they can see new or perceived superior technology. Especially when talking about a golf club that may or may not perform better than a previous iteration.

Multi-material is pure marketing. It falls in line with all that you have listed. Ping didn't need carbon fiber to move more weight than callaway, cobra, and TM while they were on their way to creating the highest MOI drivers available.

Titleist deserves credit for producing a no non-sense driver that undoubtedly will perform very, very well. They look sleek and under stated by today's standards. Well done.

Well then... I guess I support my own theory of perceived value.

and I hope you're right. I've been waiting on this launch to get a Titleist driver back in my bag.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say... the lack of actual info about the clubs is disappointing.

Here is a sports car. Enjoy the way it looks. Has a 4 cylinder engine... but looks good. See... just look at the pic.

You realize this hasn't actually been released yet, right? People get sneaky spy pics of a driver the pros are using and they are upset they don't have a full marketing glossy with detailed tech specs... it's coming, man. It's coming.

:busted_cop: Get plenty of popcorn, it's amazing how many comments we've already seen from just a few pics... love this forum...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Wonder if the fairway woods will also be called TS and look like this or if they will be indeed called 918 and have the cavity? Anybody know?

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

I love that there are no "turbulators". I never liked the look of them- either Ping or Callaway- and that's why I eventually went back to Titleist.

Lots of people will bash the driver based on looks. Remember that the technology on most drivers is INSIDE the driver. The face thickness, the joints with the crown and sole, the weight placement. I suspect the TS2 will have the highest MOI Titleist has released, based on the way the market is going and the plan to create lower spin/higher MOI clubheads.

I'm interested in hearing what Titleist has to say about these, instead of what a bunch of amateur imaginary club experts say based only on photos.

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand Ping's crown.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I've owned nearly every Titleist driver since the 975D so I'm certainly not a hater but the sole on this thing looks very bland, dare I say cheap. To me Titleist drivers always had a subtle attractiveness about them but I think they really missed the boat in asthetics. Bring back the proper Titleist sock head cover and classic alignment aid too.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Will the new model have the same surefit adapter as the 915?? I skipped the 917 iteration so wasn't sure if they kept it compatible with older surefits.

I'm sure it will. Only 910 is not compatible with the others...

Nope, 910 is the same as the others..

Only the 910 fairways are not compatible with later models. Learned that the hard way

Correct the driver adapter has not changed 910 to current. 910 fairway used the same driver adapter, the 913 fairways had a different adapter.

As a long time Titleist driver user (since the days of my all time favorite driver, the 975D), I'm not blown away by the look of the new drivers. I like the look of the TS3 better than the TS2, and I prefer the dark gray almost 975 like finish on the 917 to the return to the black crown. Since I've got my 917 pretty well dialed in, I doubt I'll be giving a serious look to these, unless they're world beating in the sense that they can give me consistently better distance with no adverse change to the 917 dispersion...and I just don't see that happening.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

So Titleist said, "Let's make our new driver have the same shape as the Callaway Epic. Yeah, that works, but the sole design should have the same look and weight port as the PING G400. OK, done. Wait, why not make the graphics design look like Taylormade's R9? Alright, now we've got something here. Let's charge, say, $549 -599 and we can sit back for two years, knowing we're way behind everyone in driver tech... again!"

But seriously - didn't Adam Scott just play his way back into the US Open with a 910 in his bag at times?? By this guys logic, AS shouldn't have been able to qualify for the Yucatan Masters with that old tech in has bag, being that it's soooo far behind.

The crap that posted on this site sometimes...

What crap? Wow, I riled up some fanboys with a non fawning "Oooh Yes please, give me some TS love" comment?" BTW Adam Scott has one of the best swings ever seen on tour. He can hit anything well. Just can't make a putt. (Thanks to the USGA)

got it--Adam Scott is the exception to the "it's about the club not the player" rule.

I don't know what theme ITT is more comical--the concern over lack of "visible tech" or the belief that the "marketing department" is responsible for the clubs WITH visible tech?

I'm just glad so many have figured out so much based on a few pics. well done!

"Also, I'm trying to figure out the point you're trying to make (snide comment aside , fanboy). Scott is under contract to play Titlist clubs, yet you're saying the 8 year old 910 is as good or better then the new 2018 model? I'm going to go on a limb and guess you weren't on your high school debate team"

What I'm trying to figure out is how did this little gem get interjected into my post and then quoted a few times over?

To answer the question I think you're trying to ask John - sure, the 910 is great. Clearly it's still good enough to be put in play on the PGA Tour and many people on this site still game one.

What I pick apart, every time and without fail, is people that believe even a bit of the marketing garbage from the OEM's. I'm not actually a fanboy it's just that Titleist drivers seem to consistently come under attack on WRX for being too spinny and not having tech. People were posting about this nonsense crap while the #1 player in the world gamed a 917. Garrett Rank just qualified for the US Open with a 915 in his bag. And we still see these posts. Apparently the spin is low enough and there's enough of this fake tech people speak of for those guys. Just sayin'

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

They do have a Callaway resemblance. Anyone know was the TS stands for ? I must say I am underwhelmed.

Too Spinny

Lol, the 917 did not spin too much for me...or JT or JS or AS or JW or BH or PC, etc.

I know right. I love this nonsense that Titleist drivers spin higher than anything else. The actual loft of the club itself has the most influence on spin, period. Always the arrow, never the Indian.

Hello 1435 guests! Join the forum, click on "classifieds" and buy some stuff!!!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Hello 1435 guests! Join the forum, click on "classifieds" and buy some stuff!!!

Right? 1700 people crusing this thread. Apparently there's a couple golfers interested in this new Titleist thingy!

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

What I don’t get is why Titleist doesn’t ever capitalize on the hype. They wait until November when all hype is past.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

It's the most Titleist press release ever. It'll perform like every Titelist driver ever - consistent but not as good as others but premium price.

And if I could borrow your crystal ball for a moment... Every other company will release a driver that everyone claims is 15 yards longer than the previous model even though it’s the exact same length as every driver for the last 5+ years.

Except they haven't been. Every time I have tested Titleist they have been considerably average compared to the other OEM's. Various other posters and online reviewers find the same. No one pretends other drivers are 15 yards longer. A good majority find other offerings better than Titelist. And if I look into my crystal ball I'll guess that stays the same.

No visible tech and no carbon fiber. Looked better in sneak peek photos. Looks kind of dull and boring. At least back to black and not matte. Kudos to their designers for using two different weight systems. More expensive kits that are pure profit. The 2 is getting a pointy look, not as bad as the true triangle (907D1) one that had years ago, but unpleasant.

Like most here... they both look good, but the lack of visible tech has me concerned that it may just be another run of the mill Titleist offering. Even if the other OEM's tech is just marketing, it creates perceived value. Also, disappointed that we don't see multi material. I just don't see anything innovative.

Without any insight into the tech or performance numbers, the only thing these drivers really have going for them is that they say "Titleist" on the side.

Will be Interesting to see when the Youtubers get their demo's and release the review videos.

So you think a company should go the multi material route for perception even though it does nothing for performance. Just more cost and a higher rate of failure? Makes sense.

No, I think Multi Material is real tech that allows manufacturers "free weight" to move into other areas of the club head that can significantly impact performance. I also like the look, sound, and feel of multi material heads.

The marketing tech I'm referring to are things like: "active recoils channels", sliding weight tracks, "Jailbreak", "Hammer Head" Slots, "Tubulators", "Smartpad", etc. Whether these things actually affect performance or not, I think consumers will be more inclined to buy when they can see new or perceived superior technology. Especially when talking about a golf club that may or may not perform better than a previous iteration.

Multi-material is pure marketing. It falls in line with all that you have listed. Ping didn't need carbon fiber to move more weight than callaway, cobra, and TM while they were on their way to creating the highest MOI drivers available.

Titleist deserves credit for producing a no non-sense driver that undoubtedly will perform very, very well. They look sleek and under stated by today's standards. Well done.

Drop the mic! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Jimmy Walker just posted the best address photo (with a shaft) that I've seen of the TS3 on Instagram:

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

What I don't get is why Titleist doesn't ever capitalize on the hype. They wait until November when all hype is past.

I've always wondered this... It's okay for the 2019 season, but for people who only have 6-8 months of actual golf season, most clubs are stored in the garage by that time.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

It's the most Titleist press release ever. It'll perform like every Titelist driver ever - consistent but not as good as others but premium price.

And if I could borrow your crystal ball for a moment... Every other company will release a driver that everyone claims is 15 yards longer than the previous model even though it's the exact same length as every driver for the last 5+ years.

Except they haven't been. Every time I have tested Titleist they have been considerably average compared to the other OEM's. Various other posters and online reviewers find the same. No one pretends other drivers are 15 yards longer. A good majority find other offerings better than Titelist. And if I look into my crystal ball I'll guess that stays the same.

Classic WRX - the hubris of average golfers "testing" clubs. I chuckle every time I see it, like we're supposed to be waiting with bated breath for the results of Johnny Bagadonuts "club testing". :lol: Unless you're (the royal you, not you personally) a plus handicap or better with access to Trackman or Flightscope and hitting the clubs with exactly the same shafts and specs, and using the same golf balls under the same conditions, the results of your "testing" don't mean squat.

I'm not taking shots at anyone here. I personally enjoy Pure745's very detailed posts on his equipment. I just laugh every time I see some 16 handicap talking about the clubs, shafts, or balls they're "testing". Come on, man.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Looks like Adam Scott is putting it in play this week after his recent departure from the 917. Also looked like he switched to KBS Tour shafts in his irons.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

As a long time Titleist driver user (since the days of my all time favorite driver, the 975D), I'm not blown away by the look of the new drivers. I like the look of the TS3 better than the TS2, and I prefer the dark gray almost 975 like finish on the 917 to the return to the black crown. Since I've got my 917 pretty well dialed in, I doubt I'll be giving a serious look to these, unless they're world beating in the sense that they can give me consistently better distance with no adverse change to the 917 dispersion...and I just don't see that happening.

I have also been a long time Titleist driver user (well, mostly a full bag, but whatever) and was somewhat underwhelmed by the look of the new drivers. That seems to be what I have happen every year though, given Titleist never really moves in the direction of making things look exotic or revolutionary with their design, but that's also been part of what has always drawn me to them. I will guess that the TS line isn't going to be so drastically better that I will move to them, but I have been shocked before. I am quite happy with what I have from the 917 now, and like the grey vs the black, though that has never really been a deal breaker for me.