Srixon's new Z785 driver

GolfWRX_Spotted

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my shipping notice from Srixon late last night and UPS should be delivering my 9.5 PO today. Excited to play a round with it tomorrow as I wasn't expecting it this soon with the backorder situation on the PO. Sorry to hear that blink's tip prep was botched, I think I'll send mine right back to Srixon if its not perfect.

what was your order date?

I ordered on 9/2

Are they shipping from Orange County?

Yep, UPS tracking shows it departing from Anaheim

I hope mine ships soon. Srixon says it’s usually next day delivery for me her in CA.

After saying I would never buy a driver without a fittng I pull the trigger on the 785. 10.5 degree, -3/4 inch Tensei pro orange, golf pride CP2 grip and 10G weight in head.

Now the hard part, waiting :(

How much Does the standard weight weigh? That’s a good idea ordering with a custom weight to make sure swingweight is correct

After saying I would never buy a driver without a fittng I pull the trigger on the 785. 10.5 degree, -3/4 inch Tensei pro orange, golf pride CP2 grip and 10G weight in head.

Now the hard part, waiting :(

How much Does the standard weight weigh? Thats a good idea ordering with a custom weight to make sure swingweight is correct

Mine came in today and here’s what’s in the guide that came with it.

10f5951e094c7df0b71d79ad7fa52521.jpg

Even thought I ordered only 1/4 inch short, that still will move the swing weight probably a point or two. I'll see how hit plays, if I want it heavier I will get a heavier weight.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

What’s odd is they send another weight but it’s the same exact 8g weight that’s already in it.

I mixed feelings about the headcover. While it’s not cheap it’s also not that nice. I guess I’ll get used to it.

I didn't get an extra 8g weight in my shipment. I did get the tiny zip-loc bag with the spare split and ring washers. Reading the manual on these washers it sounds like they should have included a lot more split washers - "...please do not use the club when you lose the split washer." Probably a translation thing but I'd like to see "if you lose the split washer." not "when you lose the split washer." :D

OK, broke down and ordered one from Edwin Watts today, got the 60 days from Srixon and 90 days return policy with Watts.

They actually had a few in stock with the HZD Black HC. In their hitting bay they had some demo shafts, including the PO TX to hit, but no heads...... Wouldn't let me hit a new one. I'm pretty sure that the Pro Orange would not fit me well, I ordered one with the Tensi CK Pro Blue 60 in TX at 45 inches....I'm more of a mid-launch/mid to low spin guy, that's why I like the Red Tie.

Good thing I did it today, the manager at Watts said his Srixon Rep confirmed that today is the last day to get all of the exotic shafts at no upcharge.

They had all the new Srixon stuff too, I really liked the look of the 3 wood also, irons look great, if they can get some marketing traction, they might actually start to sell some product.

Also saw the new Cleveland wedges for the first time. They are going in the bag once my current wedges wear down their grooves.....

I was just on Srixon’s website and all the driver shafts are still no upcharge. I wonder if it’s because they are out of Cali and I’m east coast. I’ll have to check later....

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Did it come with the special Srixon tool? I hear their Torx wrench isn't a Torx/it's a different size?

Yeah it comes the weird wrench only they use.

Okay, good. I ordered 2 drivers actually to mess around with different shaft/head combo's and I was going to be pretty triggered if they didn't' give me their special tool.

Did it come with the special Srixon tool? I hear their Torx wrench isn't a Torx/it's a different size?

Okay, good. I ordered 2 drivers actually to mess around with different shaft/head combo's and I was going to be pretty triggered if they didn't' give me their special tool.

haha yeah I would be too, hell Id been pretty bent if I didnt get one with my single driver because that's the first thing I did was play around with the loft.

The shaft upgrade ends on 9/15

Yeah, I checked the website this AM also, they were still showing no upcharge. End of the week makes sense though.... I wonder what they will be?

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

What’s odd is they send another weight but it’s the same exact 8g weight that’s already in it.

I mixed feelings about the headcover. While it’s not cheap it’s also not that nice. I guess I’ll get used to it.

Right? I thought that was funny too. I like the quality of the headcover. Maybe a little fishy for my style though.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Thanks!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Yeah, I checked the website this AM also, they were still showing no upcharge. End of the week makes sense though.... I wonder what they will be?

I was told by CS that shaft upgrade ends today, 9/14.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

True. I still can't believe they won't take custom swing weights lol. That's kind of a joke for a "major" oem. I was easily able to place custom SW with Cobra and Taylormade in the past.

This is actually getting pretty common. As an account holder for Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone, and Mizuno, and PING and having custom ordered from each in the past year, only PING will guarantee hitting a desired swingweight (within reason). Callaway will not attempt it, nor will the others...coming directly from the customer service reps when placing the orders. I'm talking specifically drivers/woods here. They will almost all sell you the weights to do it and tell you the weight size needed (if they have it), but getting a custom swingweight on a driver direct from an OEM is very difficult now. And I've been a Staff member with 3 of the listed companies above, moving to my 4th by the end of the year. And even my custom swingweight requests were told no...had to have extra weights sent to do myself, even when my orders were processed through the custom dept of each company.

True. I still can't believe they won't take custom swing weights lol. That's kind of a joke for a "major" oem. I was easily able to place custom SW with Cobra and Taylormade in the past.

This is actually getting pretty common. As an account holder for Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone, and Mizuno, and PING and having custom ordered from each in the past year, only PING will guarantee hitting a desired swingweight (within reason). Callaway will not attempt it, nor will the others...coming directly from the customer service reps when placing the orders. I'm talking specifically drivers/woods here. They will almost all sell you the weights to do it and tell you the weight size needed (if they have it), but getting a custom swingweight on a driver direct from an OEM is very difficult now. And I've been a Staff member with 3 of the listed companies above, moving to my 4th by the end of the year. And even my custom swingweight requests were told no...had to have extra weights sent to do myself, even when my orders were processed through the custom dept of each company.

Interesting. Why is this? Trying to cut costs by not needing skilled club builders? Seems a little crazy that if I'm paying $500+ for a driver I should be able to get my SW done properly. It's no harder than making sure the right length or amount of tape is used.

When I get home, I will pull out their screw. If it’s the same length/thread than other OEM’s, then we should be able to just switch it with a torx head screw and toss their wrench in the trash.

^ It's not the same I hear. I Think the standard OEM size is T5.. I don't even know if Srixon's is a Torx or what.

Definitely not a torx. It's square. But to the other posters point. I'm not sure if the length and threading are the same as other OEMs. I'll have to check that when I get home.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Yeah I'd be careful with that. Might look, feel and seem like its threading just fine only to strip out the threads inside the head. That would suck. I think the little washers they stuck in there is pretty odd. Who does that!? No one that I know of or have seen in quite some time. Talk about messing with your head if you adjust it and drop those little things right before a round.

Interesting. Why is this? Trying to cut costs by not needing skilled club builders? Seems a little crazy that if I'm paying $500+ for a driver I should be able to get my SW done properly. It's no harder than making sure the right length or amount of tape is used.

How else would you adjust swing weight from the factory for a driver other than the adjustable weights? Best answer to keep everyone happy would seem to be to include more weights with the driver and let the customer swing weight however they want. I wouldn't expect an OEM to hot melt. Even if they sorted heads, is their enough variance to compensate for -.5 inches short with a counterbalanced shaft? Different story with irons where you can easily add tip weight.

Can anyone confirm whether big box stores have these on the shelf yet? I've got one on order but I wouldn't mind swinging by a store for a sneak peak.

Yeah.. I agree. I just think they did it for cost cutting reasons, and not because it was the "best" way to do it. Now customers who are less knowledgeable or don't have swing weight scales are kind of in the dark as to what they are getting if they went custom. Maybe this is how they can afford to offer free 60 day returns. Pass on the cost of having to build clubs on to us.

But like Chris975d says, most OEMs have transitioned to this now. I swear though, when I contacted Cobra when the F8 was on pre-order, they told me they'd be able to custom SW something if I ordered it shortened down. Perhaps all they did was add in the heavier weight, but at least they didn't say it would be on me to figure out.

How else would you adjust swing weight from the factory for a driver other than the adjustable weights? Best answer to keep everyone happy would seem to be to include more weights with the driver and let the customer swing weight however they want. I wouldn't expect an OEM to hot melt. Even if they sorted heads, is their enough variance to compensate for -.5 inches short with a counterbalanced shaft? Different story with irons where you can easily add tip weight.

Can anyone confirm whether big box stores have these on the shelf yet? I've got on order but I wouldn't mind swinging by a store for a sneak peak.

Edwin Watts in Fort Worth TX had them on the floor today. I did not ask if they had any demos.

Got mine today took it to the course and got 14 holes in, hurricane isn't here yet lol

so i now know the difference in handcrafted and because i love the smoothness that the hc black gives ,i never liked the regular black and was assured i wouldn't like this either but again i was wondering about the difference

the head is explosive, and i loved my 917d2 ,for me it was great and still is but basically the srixon 785 is easier to hit and swing away with, not so with the 917,

so I'm a normal 100 ss today i got so many straight bombs ,my son was like wow dad every time i hit it and he said it sounds like a slow gun shot whatever that means but he said it sounds great and i have to agree srixon got this right,

i was going to try the ts2 but i don't even care about that driver anymore lol

so i took pics for you to compare 917 with, to me the 785 had more face real estate which makes you swing away and my bad shot is off the toe and it seemed that didn't matter to this driver very very big sweet spot

I'm not sure about the yardage gains because today was a great strike day and when i hit the 917 against it ,the 785 was in front most of the time but one time it was behind 2 yards so not a real comparison

but looking down at it the 785 looks more neutral to open mostly neutral though and the 917 looks more closed to neutral

oh that carbon is beautiful way better than the m4 to me and the face has almost a buldge to me take a look at that picture looking then at the buldge it's pretty wildaa3b5d761d817f6ff25f46e2659d20c1.jpg1d7e90a1dd87683307a4f9fb9a424363.jpg4bb20e1fb73e65727630730a362c7862.jpg06ef9ea897584dd3b785bdf86845a59f.jpg96e37f6e20d601d1d046fee6732a7184.jpg0f058b73da4b2f361f9dbffeab2347fa.jpg73bf1e06f54a0ca2117a1a1cca574b99.jpge02012b03fe9843e0511344376284aa6.jpg629276b984cbf2879783633950fbce9d.jpg2b61fb9352cdfe57543efefec3845c7a.jpg