I love this game, but I can no longer play

dalillama47

I have to say, this is a depressing thread.

Actually, it's not. From someone who considers the time approaching (in 5-10 years, who knows) due to health and life changes, it is what it is. There are no regrets. I loved triathlons and I quit, and only a few times in the past 6 years have I thought about doing it all over again. Same with golf, when I quit, it'll be because I want to quit. That can include health physically and mentally. It's not depressing at all. Times change. Life changes. It is what it is. Life is a journey and you have to enjoy the journey, not just the end result/goal. There will be something to take the place of golf. It's what I do for now!

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know why people get so much grief around here for admitting that they quit playing the game. There are a lot of things I used to do when I was younger that I no longer do, because I no longer enjoy them. I don't remember any community uproar when I gave them up. Abandoning an activity isn't a personality shortcoming; it's a personal choice.

I don't recall anyone getting grief, I only read statements that are supportive or reflective of their own experiences.

I

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real difficulty is having to deal with a "sudden" drop-off in ability.

Using myself as an example, I don't foresee myself quitting the game due to gradual declines due to age and distance issues. However, I recently had a stroke at the ripe old age of 48. I was lucky that the majority of the effects were primarily quadrantopsia (upper left visual field loss) and some sensory issues, so I was still able to work and function pretty normally afterwards. However, If my vision and sensory issues had not gotten better (which was not a given), I would have given up golf. Just would have been too tough to go from a mid-single digit to 20 handicap. Not to imply that there is anything wrong with being a 20 'cap, it's more just suddenly having your index go up that much. I'd have felt the same going from a 20 to 36.

The one big plus of my stroke is that it's finally killed my temper on the golf course. I'm just grateful to be out and able to play!

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

This thread has been very enlightening to me. I'm 44, and I've often wondered if I would be able to enjoy the game later in life if I lost the ability to score as well as I do now.

3-4 years ago I was much more focused. I spent a lot more time at the range, working to get better. I got my handicap down to a high 6. But the downside was I was definitely a lot more angry at myself when I would hit a bad shot. I would let the anger fester, and beat myself up over things when they went bad.

Fast-forward to this season. Other than warmup buckets before rounds, I think I have gone to the range just once with the sole purpose of practicing. And I've learned to be much more happy-go-lucky about bad swings. But the result is my handicap is 9.9 as of this morning. I shot 81-90 this past weekend. During the 90 round I went at it with an attitude of "oh well, the swing is just not here today". Whereas the Roody from 3-4 years ago would have been saying "what the hell is wrong with you, idiot? Stop swinging like a moron"

My point is, I think I'm learning that even if your ability declines, there are still ways to enjoy playing golf. Being good or bad at golf doesn't define who I am. I just need to remember that as I get into my 50's and 60's and the physical aspect is what's keeping me from playing as well as I used to.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

A couple of years ago I played in a senior scramble. Many of the guys couldn't hit it out of their shadow. But as long as they had a longer player in the group, they were happy as clams. They held the scramble every week. Skins game, etc. When the alternative is staying home, not getting out with the guys, the expectations can soften a lot. I've seen a lot of older seniors who used to be excellent players in their day, but no longer are. I'm sure there are still challenges that inspire them.

As an aside: At my current course, there is no stigma about playing the senior tees. And they are nice and short. I've seen a 70+ y.o. drive and eagle a par 4. Now that's the way it should be. They have a chance for par on most holes.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'm 63 and now retired (not my choice). I am actually surprised at how well I still swing a club, but am coming to the realization that I may soon be unable to walk the course. And I really, really hate the prospect, but it is what it is. Getting old suc...err...stinks.

I don't know how long I will be able to play, but I have other things I like to do and will switch to those when I can no longer play. The money I save on golf can go to towards materials and cutters for my little machine shop in the garage for example. I can spend a few years building a custom 1911 or two. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

Ya wanna know what’s nice about getting old??

Nuttin!!

(Ok, maybe Grandkids)

I’m pushing 60, think I’m still 29, act like I’m 12, and on some days feel like I’m 90.

So confused.

I’ll be 60 in January.

I’ve been hard on my body most of my life.

Football, then motocross and surfing. Golf for the past 31 years. All hard on the spine and low back. Had an MRI in 2005. It showed I had very little soft tissue between the spinal discs. Consequently, I have pain at times . I have adopted a slower, smoother swing which allows more pain free days.

Sure I’ve lost SS but I concentrate more time on short game and putting.

Like a few of you said....”the body at times, just doesn’t behave”!!

Managing expectations is tough at times!!

Trying to age gracefully in golf & LIFE!!

I dont know if it would be of any help to your spirits, but I would volunteer with some youth golf programs.

If you cant play, you can instill the good spirit into the next generation and see some kids really be successful.

That is at least what I plan to do when I get too old, provided I live that long :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

at some point, we all need to check our ego if we want to play this game into older age.

True. And I foresee that being a difficult challenge. No matter what level a person starts from and falls to.

As my Mom is fond of saying: "Getting old is not for the faint of heart."

I used to laugh when she said that. I'm not laughing any more.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

I have to take some sort of painkiller prior to the round, middle of the round, and end of the round just to play now. Dozens of procedures on my back have left me with next to nothing of my old swing. Still grind it out and learning how to take less of a backswing and still hit the snot out of the ball.

I look at it as every once in a while things will click and I will have a great round. The rest of the time I get to see the sunset on a golf course. Win/win

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I have to take some sort of painkiller prior to the round, middle of the round, and end of the round just to play now. Dozens of procedures on my back have left me with next to nothing of my old swing. Still grind it out and learning how to take less of a backswing and still hit the snot out of the ball.

I look at it as every once in a while things will click and I will have a great round. The rest of the time I get to see the sunset on a golf course. Win/win

Two asprin prior to the round, a couple of Advil and maybe another asprin at the turn. And my lower back and right hip still hurt when I'm done.

I then head home and grab the single-malt. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

My last round under 70 was when I was 50, over 8 years ago. My last USGA qualifier (Mid AM) was three years ago, and I got "the letter". I am now a weak 6, which is too high too compete in scratch events, but my cap is too low to compete with the Net sandbaggers.

I still enjoy the game, but I am now shorter, less consistent, and a very marginal putter. My ball striking expectations are still rooted in my skills from a decade ago, so I am disappointed in 95% of my shots. I will still shoot a stray sub par nine now and then, but invariably the other nine will be in the 40's. I am delusional enough to think I may regain my game, so I still slog along. At the end of the day, I truly feel less coordinated than I used to.

Two asprin prior to the round, a couple of Advil and maybe another asprin at the turn. And my lower back and right hip still hurt when I'm done.

I then head home and grab the single-malt. :)

Haha more like Vicodin/Vicodin/Oxy. Aspirin don't even touch my back anymore. Single malt I am all in for though

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Still playing and enjoying at 73. However, a nagging muscle strain seems to come more often and last a little longer each year. Played 220 rounds last year but think that 200 will be a stretch this year. Golf will eventually have to give way to the next sport - I think that might be billiards - but there will hopefully be a sport. Going to try Pickleball this year but think that if I can't Golf then Pickleball will probably be out of the question also - of course that depends on the ailment.

Baseball => Fast Pitch Softball => Slow Pitch Softball => Tennis => Golf => Billiards?

How my life has gone!

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Played this great game for 50 years, but I just can't seem to play anymore. Gone through 2 complete shoulder replacement surgeries in the last two years. Still re-habbing and from a pain management point, I could not be happier, just can no longer swing the club like I use to. Before all the shoulder pain was about a good 7, now a 15 and trending higher. Lost all kinds of speed, just can't hit it solid. Feel at times like I've never swung a club. Just needed to boo hoo on some shoulders. Thanks for listening.

hey I’ve been there, I am there. I had a bad bought of cancer, followed by some radical surgeries and removal of several whole muscles. Swing speed down 25 mph , I went from stiff blades to regular cav backs . From 9.5* to 12* with senior shafts. There’s a ton to enjoy despite not playing your best. Whatever you decide I wish you health and happiness

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Just turned 74, haven’t been a single HCP in more than 15 years. Yet ... I may enjoy the game even more now. It was rough facing up to the undeniable fact that I will never be a “player” again. But I take pleasure in the community of golfers, the playing of the game. Despite all evidence to the contrary, I still have hopes of improving my game, of finding a few more yards off the tee. So I still hit the range 2-3 times per week. Dealing with chronic pain is an issue as you age (I have RA) and diminished vision ( glaucoma), etc. We all get this stuff if we live long enough. It’s about relaxing, enjoying the back 9 of life ... and finding a good pain management physician.

Im not old so I dont speak from experience, but seeing my father in law having to give up the game I fee confident when I say this.

The key to playing as you get older is maintaining flexibility!!!!

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

So sorry to hear this! It is, indeed, a truly great game....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Played this great game for 50 years, but I just can't seem to play anymore. Gone through 2 complete shoulder replacement surgeries in the last two years. Still re-habbing and from a pain management point, I could not be happier, just can no longer swing the club like I use to. Before all the shoulder pain was about a good 7, now a 15 and trending higher. Lost all kinds of speed, just can't hit it solid. Feel at times like I've never swung a club. Just needed to boo hoo on some shoulders. Thanks for listening.

Don't sweat it. There's a body shelf-life for every sport, some much earlier. So 50 years is a great run...besides....how many folks can play football, baseball, tennis at the level they once did? No one. When I can't play well anymore, I will volunteer to teach.

Don't sweat it. There's a body shelf-life for every sport, some much earlier. So 50 years is a great run...besides....how many folks can play football, baseball, tennis at the level they once did? No one. When I can't play well anymore, I will volunteer to teach.

Of the non-linear sports, golf (and perhaps doubles tennis) is one of the few sports we can safely engage in much past the age of 25. They'll have to pry the golf club out of my cold, dead hands. ;)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Of the non-linear sports, golf (and perhaps doubles tennis) is one of the few sports we can safely engage in much past the age of 25. They'll have to pry the golf club out of my cold, dead hands. ;)

Well done! But...25? What have you been doing? Lol