2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I love this game, but I can no longer play

dalillama47

Played this great game for 50 years, but I just can't seem to play anymore. Gone through 2 complete shoulder replacement surgeries in the last two years. Still re-habbing and from a pain management point, I could not be happier, just can no longer swing the club like I use to. Before all the shoulder pain was about a good 7, now a 15 and trending higher. Lost all kinds of speed, just can't hit it solid. Feel at times like I've never swung a club. Just needed to boo hoo on some shoulders. Thanks for listening.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya! Turned 67 in May and have been playing for about 55 years. As recently as 5 years ago was playing to scratch. Now, can hardly break 90. Got back issues (Degenerative Disc Disease), and a torn hamstring that never healed properly. Played Sunday (only 4th round of the season) and was totally wiped out the next day and had an aching back. Thinking it may be time to hang 'em up.

Played this great game for 50 years, but I just can't seem to play anymore. Gone through 2 complete shoulder replacement surgeries in the last two years. Still re-habbing and from a pain management point, I could not be happier, just can no longer swing the club like I use to. Before all the shoulder pain was about a good 7, now a 15 and trending higher. Lost all kinds of speed, just can't hit it solid. Feel at times like I've never swung a club. Just needed to boo hoo on some shoulders. Thanks for listening.

Something I’ve thought about, when you can’t play to a level you’re at least somewhat content with. Being from injury or just age.

Hopefully it gets to feeling well enough to get back where you want to be.

I understand the frustration, especially if you were once a "player", but I urge you to look at this game differently as you age. Look at the friendships, being out in a beautiful environment, laughing at yourself and your partners, having a cold beer with your buddies. I would love to shoot lower scores but it just isn't in me anymore. Now I don't take it serious, just enjoy the game and my friends. It's a very special game, just maybe a slight different lens may help you enjoy it again. I hate to hear people say they are quitting the game, so much more than scoring to it.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

It’s all relative to the individual and what they’re willing to give up in the game. I’m not at that point yet.

Started with TA 845s (stiff), now playing Ping G’s (reg, soft 1 step).

If I’m not in serious pain, ten years from now I might be playing Maltby Gliders in senior flex. I’ll no doubt be decreasing yardage and adding strokes

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

As GolfNuts mentioned, time to focus on other aspects of the game, rather than just score.

Since my rotator cuff and sciatica issues, I can't play like I used to either. I let it bother me for a while, then just accepted it, and back to having fun with my buddies again.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

My father is 90, had one hip replaced about ten years ago, the other replaced last November, has arthritis, can't hit the ball out of his shadow, and still plays 9 about three times per week. He is always trying to get better, but playing is more important to him than his score. He enjoys going to the course, hanging out with his buddies, eating lunch, and just having something somewhat athletic to do at his age. I suggest you change your priorities, and enjoy everything the game has to offer besides the score.

Almost 53 here and back pain and tendinitis have diminished what i can do and how often I can do it.

I rarely hit balls or practice now, mostly just short game stuff if i do. I used to be a range rat.

I have lost a lot of CH speed, am now playing softer shafts and I have a eliminated the 4 and 5 irons for hybrids, playing Ping G's instead of blades or I3 blades like my younger days.

My handicap is a 9 and trending upwards, I haven't shot in the 70's in over a year, usually around 85. I used to be a solid 6.

The golf future doesn't look too bright, every time I flare up I have to take 2-3 weeks off, I can't play 2 days in a row.

Looking at different treatments and options but this sure is frustrating. I knew someday this would happen, but most of my buddies my age still hit it pretty good, if not better than ever.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Let's try this dali. I'm 67, the last time I played was last September. I have Foot Drop on both the right and left feet now which makes it very hard to walk without AFO braces. I also have epilepsy and now I'm taking 4 meds for that, so between the two, my balance is really bad. I was driving until last October when I had a seizure for the first time driving a car, and hit the back of a box truck at 50mph, so now I can't even drive myself to the course, cause I'm not allowed to drive anymore. So I'm working on changing up some meds to help with the balance, and getting some new AFO braces. So all in all, I would be a little uncoordinated, not playing well, and have to be driven to the course when I want to play. But guess what? That would be the same as when I took up golf in 1965, so same/same. The point is, if I gave up golf, would I be giving up on score card results, or giving up on enjoying something I love? I just don't want to give up on something I enjoy that I love to do. Back in '65 when I took up golf, I was just as happy to play golf as I know I will be next time I get to go, because I'll be outdoors, hitting that white ball, not worrying about the score, smiling a lot. I won't care how well I do, just as long as I enjoy it. I have a friend in another town who plays twice a week and bowls in a league. He loves to play, even though he's in lots of pain and can't play as well as he used to, he will never give up, he's 84, amazing. I'm glad you're happy, hang in there.

Something I’ve thought about, when you can’t play to a level you’re at least somewhat content with. Being from injury or just age.

Hopefully it gets to feeling well enough to get back where you want to be.

Went through this in college with my baseball career....Tommy John, labrum, mcl, and Achilles surgeries all in about 4 years time. Had to hang the cleats up with one year of eligibility left. Just couldn’t perform at the high level I wanted to, so I decided to give the game up......lead me to fill that void with golf...and this website.... but in all seriousness, best of luck to you OP. Hope you can start trending back down!

Thanks for all the replies. Giving up is really not in my dna, as others have suggested I do still enjoy being out there with the guys. Actually a few years ago I started to not take the game to serious and have more fun out there, and more scores were better than ever. I don't. mind getting old ( can't do anything about that anyway ), don't mind loosing distance and swinging different clubs and shafts, just want to be able to make some sort of golf swing. Everything seems so uncoordinated.

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I took up golf at age of 54. At the time I had been training/racing triathlons for near 20 years. I started those at age 34. I really really loved racing and training every day. I was running 10-12 miles a week, biking over 100 miles week and swimming twice a week. I loved it!! I thought I would be doing tris until the day I died. I was winning races and placing well until I turned 56. The age groups got smaller and smaller as I got older. Instead of an age group of 120, the numbers were 20 or less. I could train more, train harder and age had its effects. I was seeing slower and slower times, even though I was still winning age groups. One day I pulled into the house after a 60 mile bike ride and told my wife "I quit". I've been on my bike about 4 times in the last 6 years. No running and no swimming (Running always hurt and I hated swimming).

Golf? I can see the day I will no longer golf. I watch guys that I know were really really good back in the day. Now they just get around the course for fun. For me, the fun is the competition with myself. If I can no longer win or come close, I'll quit. I'm 63 and can still score low. I can still, on a good day score even or close, and below par on a 9. Time will tell me when I'm no longer competitive and let me know when to quit. But the degenerative back is getting worse, right hip is nearly history, left is already stainless steel, nerve damage in my hands, feet, arms and legs is worse, and the list goes on and on. My mind will know when to quit. I won't regret it in the least. I've had and still have a blast when playing.

An old boy I knew slightly at a golf club on the Isle of Man, around 11 each morning with his walking stick in one hand and a 7 iron in the other, would totter down to the 1st tee and whack it down the short par 4, then turn around and back up #9. He'd then retire to the bar. He seemed grateful for his good fortune. :)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I was at the range a while back and this guy pulls up next to me, must have been around 90. You could tell he used to be able to play a bit, still a nice swing. He was digging it out of the dirt, I am sure knowing that 50 years ago it was much easier. Still enjoying quest.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

One of the authors of a book on the mental side of the game posed this question. Imagine yourself an old man or woman confined to a rocking chair. What advice would you give to your present self about your approach to golf?

OTOH, if it is physically damaging or painful to continue playing, I would quit, and find some other activity. I have thought I was there, but then things got better.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have to say, this is a depressing thread.

Actually, it's not. From someone who considers the time approaching (in 5-10 years, who knows) due to health and life changes, it is what it is. There are no regrets. I loved triathlons and I quit, and only a few times in the past 6 years have I thought about doing it all over again. Same with golf, when I quit, it'll be because I want to quit. That can include health physically and mentally. It's not depressing at all. Times change. Life changes. It is what it is. Life is a journey and you have to enjoy the journey, not just the end result/goal. There will be something to take the place of golf. It's what I do for now!

no fffing kidding..lol. like one of those movies...manchester by the sea

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Can I ask how you've injured you shoulder? From golf or an unrelated injury? Sorry to hear about your pain.

I'm interested in rehab for golfers

The first one was a work injury lifting something into a dumpster and my whole shoulder just exploded. Torn Labrum, and a partial tear to the bicep and rotator cuff and during all the X-rays, and MRI was discovered I had severe arthritis with bone on bone and losing some of the bone.

Second one was just all degenerative arthritis. It was 16 weeks of therapy and I still continue to do the therapy on my own 3 times a week and I'm 18 months out from the first and 8 months on the second. Doc says that if I can do the therapy for up to two years, that would be the best it's going to be, but stressed to continue for atleast 1 year.

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I feel for you man I have two bad shoulders and manage the pain. I'm guessing I'm working down this path myself eventually. I was fortune to find a fantastic Shoulder Doc who reviewed my MRI's and hit me hard with shots versus going under the knife. I guess I've been incredibly fortunate because it's worked for me. It's been a few years now and inflimation drastically reduced. Clearly not a fix so Father Time will inevitably send the certified mail. Good luck to all and I wish you years of good health either with or without this game. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I'm there with you. 7 back surgeries. Very limited range of motion, can't fully turn my body in a swing. When I'm feeling good and swinging well I can break 80, but when the back acts up and I have trouble swinging I start shanking everything. Last year went 2.5 months of shanking everything. Quit golf a couple times in the process.

This year things were going great and shot 79 in late June, then walked 18 one day and the next day couldn't move. Played two days later and shot 108. Had a couple lessons and finally got out of the shanks a few days ago and was back in the low 80s.

Also this year I moved up to the senior tees or as I call them, the "injury tees". I'm 48, but after 7 spine surgeries and permanent nerve damage in both legs I"m lucky if I get my drive out to 220. 160 yards and I'm hitting a 4 iron.

I suggest you move up to the injury tees. You'll put less stress on your shoulder and you might still be able to score a bit.

I hear you, Dali. I was similar but younger. When I started up again this spring, I gave up being so effing competitive with myself. Once I tried having fun and didn't let small things bother me as much, the whole game became more fun than it ever was before. Like, "how can I get mad at myself for not being able to hit a flop out of long grass when I don't practice it?" I mean, sure, I know the mechanics of how to hit it, but if I don't practice it, or only play once a week right now, how can I hold myself to such a high standard? When I just started having fun, the whole game changed.

Actually, it's not. From someone who considers the time approaching (in 5-10 years, who knows) due to health and life changes, it is what it is. There are no regrets. I loved triathlons and I quit, and only a few times in the past 6 years have I thought about doing it all over again. Same with golf, when I quit, it'll be because I want to quit. That can include health physically and mentally. It's not depressing at all. Times change. Life changes. It is what it is. Life is a journey and you have to enjoy the journey, not just the end result/goal. There will be something to take the place of golf. It's what I do for now!

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know why people get so much grief around here for admitting that they quit playing the game. There are a lot of things I used to do when I was younger that I no longer do, because I no longer enjoy them. I don't remember any community uproar when I gave them up. Abandoning an activity isn't a personality shortcoming; it's a personal choice.