2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

Fowler will be back in F8 next week......he just shanked his F9 worse than I've ever seen him hit any drive and was visibly pissed wit the club. He looked like a mere mortal. He also is using that Graphite Design AD IZ that has been killing Spieth since last season.

I’m gonna blame it on the TM ball he’s playing. :-)

Haha did you see that shot? It was like he switched places with me on the tee box hahaha

Is this thing draw biased? I was hitting everything left with it on trackman indoors. I hit other drivers and missed both left and right. But everything went left with F9. I think I even had the weight forward which should be more fade biased.

How does the F9 forgiveness compare to original Epic SZ?

Is this thing a fairway finder or just straight bomber? I have a bomber in my Epic but looking for something easier to control.

Driver showed up yesterday...now need some decent weather to be able to get out and hit it!

Let us know how that setup goes. I said in the thread earlier I wouldn’t buy this and my g400lst is just fine.

However!!!!! I’m intrigued by putting the orange pro in it. Mainly cause the pro orange is super tip stiff,and thus has less deflection, might catch that sucker on the upper part of the driver and sucker could fly!!! Since cobra drivers perform better when you hit more on the upper part of the face. Nice pickup by the way. Looks really good in the white.

Will do, hoping to get out this weekend to give it a go. Taking a little leap with the Pro Orange, not a big fan of counter balanced shafts but i found the head a touch heavy when testing so I thought this would help, but cobra went and added a 18g weight ha! I got a great hookup and got the shaft at no upcharge. Figured if I don’t like it, it would be easy to unload.

Bought some extra weights on the website today as well so I can tinker with it a little if needed.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

I had an opportunity today to test out the F9 with Hazerdous Smoke 6.0 set at 9 degree and the Atomos Blue Stiff at 9 also. Moved to a Atmos Black 7X too. I compared all of these to my current F8+ with Hazrdous Yellow 6.0 Stiff. 9.5 Standard Draw position.

The Atmos blue Stiff was a no go for me as it was too much of a noodle and launching to high and bad dispersion.

The Atmos Black 7X and Smoke 6S were very similar in numbers and overall feel for me.

My current Hazerdous Yellow 7S felt better to me than any of the other test shafts.

F8+ 103SS avg 248 carry avg 276 total 2400 spin

F9 102SS avg 244 carry avg 270 total 2550 spin Atmos Black 7X

F9 102SS avg 242 carry avg 272 total 2600 spin Smoke 6S

In the end the pro said you don't need a new driver as they are performing pretty much the same for you...and I agreed.

Notes; I feel the F8+ is softer off the face than the F9 but both are above avg.

Looks: Love my F8+ and really liked the F9+ as well

Last note I was a Ping man for last 8 years ending with the G Lst.

Grabbed a Ping G400 LS with 75X shaft and hit 5 shots.

101 SS 238 avg carry 263 total 2600+ spin.

Funny thing was the last club I Hit was my F8+ and was tired after rapid fire of about 45-50 strikes.

In the end my only regret was not putting my hazardous yellow into the F9 to get those numbers.

I feel the F9 is a great club that I would buy but it really didn't give me any thing better other than confirming I really like the shaft in my F8+.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here just some honest numbers I wanted to share.

50 year old better than most golfers in my area that shoots 72-76 on avg in local amateur tournaments. (hate my SS has dropped by 5mph over the last 4 years but Father Time remains undefeated.) Best of luck and looking forward to more reviews and I get to move up a set of tees this year.... :)

went back today and hit F9 with my shaft hazardous yellow 6.0 S. Also my F8+ to compare.

F8. SS 101 244 carry 2600 spin

F9 SS 102 246 carry 2500 spin .

Had a 227 carry w the F9 that brought numbers down a bit on avg with one bad low heel strike. (5 shots recorded w each) for the numbers. Afterwards hit another 10+ shots w F9 and had a 256 and a 255 carry w the F9 and two SS of 105. Definitely could see playing with this club more and improving the numbers more. Both days tested w Srixon XV ball I snuck into GG to hit. Spin w both heads was consistent 2 or 3 low 2000 and 1or 2 high 2' s but none in the 3000 range with either head on the 10 shots minus the foul ball .think it was like 3500 0r something...

Overall I liked the feel of the F8+ better but the F9 with right shaft is really good.

Been lifting weights night before and was pretty sore as I've just started back at the gym after holiday laziness ( almost 2 month layoff so yes very sore w the triceps).

Going to wait longer and test again once demo days gets to my club so I can compare outside for final decision. F8+ has been solid for me and I like this club .a lot. Maybe its just because I'm used to it but I prefer the look of my 8 more than the F9 but not a huge deal either way. Face feel is definitely different .maybe it was just the head not for sure.

Dispersion was excellent with both minus the foul ball I hit w the F9 to the right aforementioned.

Also hit the M6 with tensi orange 6S and really like this combo. 242 avg carry and great feel but nothing to get me overly excited about .the M6 was also 45 .75 long vs 45.25 w the Cobras. No TM for me.

I agree on the shaft. I play 44.5” and they did not have any tour length. The heavy weight was in the back too. I will give it another run in the next few weeks when I have more time to make more adjustments and try different shafts. Like I said, my current driver and my last driver spun around 2300 so this took me a bit by surprise as did the sound. I will report back in a week or two

Anybody else notice Cobra seems to be advertising way more than before? F8 was a little bit.. F7 barely any (if at all), and I don't remember much at all for clubs prior to that. I'm seeing F9 ALL over social media, golfWRX ads and commercials on golf channel. It's to the point where I think maybe I'm seeing F9 and Cobra adverts more than any other OEM.

Anybody else notice Cobra seems to be advertising way more than before? F8 was a little bit.. F7 barely any (if at all), and I don't remember much at all for clubs prior to that. I'm seeing F9 ALL over social media, golfWRX ads and commercials on golf channel. It's to the point where I think maybe I'm seeing F9 and Cobra adverts more than any other OEM.

noticed this as well

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K Kai'li White 60x

3w: Epic Flash Hzrdus 70x

Hybrid: Cally Apex 19°

4i-Pw: Ping i200 PX 6.0

Wedges: SM9 50° / 54° / 58°

Putter: Cally Ten S

Great point. It’s crazy the amount they’re paying for advertising.

Wonder why the change of strategy?

Are they suffering or have they finally figured out that marketing equates to more sales dollars.

Don’t take it the wrong way, I love cobra as a company. Just spitballing here

CP

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

Great point. It’s crazy the amount they’re paying for advertising.

Wonder why the change of strategy?

Are they suffering or have they finally figured out that marketing equates to more sales dollars.

Don’t take it the wrong way, I love cobra as a company. Just spitballing here

CP

Could be either a reactive approach to the cost of sales (F9 costs more than inflation would have done from F8-->F9) so they are trying to "spend money to make money" or they think that raising prices + marketing = more sales. Similar approach to TM and Callway.

I hope it's more of #1 than #2... Because I've always loved Cobra because of their lack of marketing and trying to "sell me" on their product. I will really be annoyed if they start to slowly creep up in price to the other OEM's level.

Dunno if it's down to release/demo days of the Cobra being ahead of TM/Callaway here but I've seen more posters, adverts etc than TM/Callaway than ever before. All of the chat around the club is about the F9 (good and bad) with the only other comments being in relation to the price of the others.

Dunno if it's down to release/demo days of the Cobra being ahead of TM/Callaway here but I've seen more posters, adverts etc than TM/Callaway than ever before. All of the chat around the club is about the F9 (good and bad) with the only other comments being in relation to the price of the others.

Well last year I bought an F8 3w for $240, brand new. This year F9 is like $270... that's over a 13% jump in price in one year. I'm hoping it's like I said above... F9 just cost a lot to engineer so they are perhaps raising prices (passing costs to us) and trying to market heavily to get a bit of sales to cover what money they invested initially.

There is a chance though they are trying to raise margins a bit and taking advantage of the market with the rising prices. Or even trying to regain some ground after having a bad year(s) previously.

The price may reflect the quality of shaft offerings as well. Cobra is using a very solid lineup of real deal shafts this season. That must cost them a bit more more money I would guess

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I’m not sure how small it is, last I checked the Atmos Black TS would cost you $200-$300 bucks aftermarket. Same with the Helium, Atmos Blue TS, etc.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Can anyone tell me the difference of having 18g in front vs 14g? My spin couldn't get below 2400 and the guy suggested I try a heavier weight up front. I know the loft changes say they can change up to 700 RPM but curious. Thanks

Heavier in front and lighter in the back should lower spin for you. Easiest option to check that before buying additional weights is just slap some lead tape on top of the front weight and give it a try.

As I follow this thread it seems the common sayings are spin is a bit up there. I have been wondering if the Cnc milling has anything to do with spin numbers being high(er)?

If the face has cnc milling similar to a wedge. I know it’s not exact same milling,but usually milling creates spin. Makes me wonder. We only ever hear milling helps create spin in the golf world. One wouldn’t want milling on a driver face then. Just me thinking out loud though. I know it probably has more to do with feel,but again,makes me wonder.

As I follow this thread it seems the common sayings are spin is a bit up there. I have been wondering if the Cnc milling has anything to do with spin numbers being high(er)?

If the face has cnc milling similar to a wedge. I know it’s not exact same milling,but usually milling creates spin. Makes me wonder. We only ever hear milling helps create spin in the golf world. One wouldn’t want milling on a driver face then. Just me thinking out loud though. I know it probably has more to do with feel,but again,makes me wonder.

Most of the professional reviews I have seem with #s have the spin lower than most heads. I would tend to trust them more than the amateur golfer. Not that the amateurs aren't seeing higher numbers, but they also have a higher chance of not delivering the loft properly or not having it tuned in.