G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolf

> @gvogel said:

> I have ordered a G410 6-iron for evaluation - regular AWT shaft. I also ordered a G700 6-iron and an i210 7-iron.

>

> We'll see where this goes, or whether I just stick with my AP1 (712)/AP2 (714) combo set.

Any reason for getting a 7i for the i210? I would think if you were matching loft it would be the other way around (6i i210, 7i G410/700). I like the feel of the i210 a lot - quite soft when stuck well and not horrible when you strike not quite so well. I'm messing with Hot Metal Pros though, because....well, um....SQUIRREL!

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @nostatic said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > I have ordered a G410 6-iron for evaluation - regular AWT shaft. I also ordered a G700 6-iron and an i210 7-iron.

> >

> > We'll see where this goes, or whether I just stick with my AP1 (712)/AP2 (714) combo set.

>

> Any reason for getting a 7i for the i210? I would think if you were matching loft it would be the other way around (6i i210, 7i G410/700). I like the feel of the i210 a lot - quite soft when stuck well and not horrible when you strike not quite so well. I'm messing with Hot Metal Pros though, because....well, um....SQUIRREL!

I ordered the different clubs just to see how they would work. I could see using the G410 6-iron with i210 7-iron to PW. I do that currently with AP1 /AP2.

Just fooling without spending on a whole set. I'll figure it out after a couple of months hitting them. Might stick with the Titleist combo.

I could also see going 7-wood, 5-hybrid, 6-hybrid, i210 7-iron to PW.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > 3 rounds in now. Two with the original XP95 shafts and one with Recoil 95's recently installed (my favorite iron shaft). I struck the ball pretty well today (for me anyway) and had a bunch of birdie looks. Feel gets a B- grade. Maybe it's that I just haven't been able to hit them in the center of the face though? Anyway, the G25's I have been playing recently sound and feel better. Distance goes to the 410's though. Even the short irons, which are the same lofts as the 25's, fly farther. Regarding spin, I backed up a few PW's and didn't have any issue holding greens in general, so guys complaining about low spin should look at their swing. The clubs are fine.

>

> When do you play your i200's?

Next weekend. I wanted to give the 410's enough time to judge them better. Don't take me wrong, I still like them. They are almost everything I want in an iron. The i200's are a little small to my eye but I'm sure they are going to be okay as well. As far as GI iron sets are concerned the Mizuno Hot Metal's are the high water mark in my opinion. They have a more durable finish, and sound and feel better compared to the 410's. Only thing is they are low bounce and the Ping's are high, which I prefer. I guess you just can't get what you want...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @gvogel said:

> > @nostatic said:

> > Any reason for getting a 7i for the i210? I would think if you were matching loft it would be the other way around (6i i210, 7i G410/700). I like the feel of the i210 a lot - quite soft when stuck well and not horrible when you strike not quite so well. I'm messing with Hot Metal Pros though, because....well, um....SQUIRREL!

> I ordered the different clubs just to see how they would work. I could see using the G410 6-iron with i210 7-iron to PW. I do that currently with AP1 /AP2.

>

> Just fooling without spending on a whole set. I'll figure it out after a couple of months hitting them. Might stick with the Titleist combo.

>

> I could also see going 7-wood, 5-hybrid, 6-hybrid, i210 7-iron to PW.

Gotcha. fwiw right now I have 3H, 5H, and 7-GW i210 in the bag, with an 818 H1 27* on the way to see how that sits between 5H and 7i. The HMPs may change the calculation though as so far seems they will be 10-15 yards longer than the i210s with my swing.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Been gaming the Mizuno 919 HMs for a few months now and overall pretty happy with them. I hit the G410s the day they came out but walked away unimpressed enough to not think about them for a while. For the last few weeks, every time I go into a golf shop I hit the G410s again, and they grow on me a little more each time. I definitely prefer the look at address of the Pings over the Mizunos but not sure about performance. Problem is I can't hit them off grass anywhere easily to get a better head to head comparison to the Mizunos. I tried the G400s on grass a while back and felt like I was digging holes to China with them, even though the wide sole is supposed to prevent that very thing. Could have been a bad day or wrong shaft or whatever...

Anyone out there hit both the G410 and 919 HMs off grass that can compare the turf interaction and overall feel of these two irons?

> @Onespeed24 said:

> Anyone out there hit both the G410 and 919 HMs off grass that can compare the turf interaction and overall feel of these two irons?

The Ping's have more bounce and a less diggy sole. I agree with you that the blade profile of the 410's is nicer, but sound and feel go the the HM's.

Well bit the bullet. G410 were just too much to ignore. Stupid easy to hit, high, long and great dispersion. 170 yard 7 iron carry on trackman.

4-PW AWT 2.0 Black dot and 50ss/54ss/58ss Glide Stealth 2.0 now in bag. Everything but my driver is PING again.

These are the PiNG irons I've been waiting for since Eye 2.

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I am planning to buy a set of the G410 irons. I have a question for those who have used them. Did you buy the UW or go with a “wedge” style gap wedge? I think I prefer the profile of a 50* Glide 2.0 but at a recent fitting the fitter (Ping fitter) suggested that might leave too big a gap from the PW compared with the G410 UW. Considering the G410 UW is at 49.5*, seems strange to think there would be that much difference. Anybody have experience with the G410 UW or with gapping from the PW to a 50* non-set gap wedge?

> @Maverick22 said:

> I am planning to buy a set of the G410 irons. I have a question for those who have used them. Did you buy the UW or go with a “wedge” style gap wedge? I think I prefer the profile of a 50* Glide 2.0 but at a recent fitting the fitter (Ping fitter) suggested that might leave too big a gap from the PW compared with the G410 UW. Considering the G410 UW is at 49.5*, seems strange to think there would be that much difference. Anybody have experience with the G410 UW or with gapping from the PW to a 50* non-set gap wedge?

I've done both. If you want to be interesting, get the i210 U. But total yardage gap? This question comes up a lot, and it's always the same answer. It depends on what you want to do with the club, because those couple extra yards, etc., basically come down to the stock _shaft_ choice less than the head.

☑ If you get a U, you'll probably get the same shaft as your irons. This is good if you hit a lot of full shots with a gap, and don't prefer to shorten the P.

☑ If you get a wedge-y wedge for your gap, you'll probably end up with a shaft designed to flight lower. If you play a lot of partials with a gap, and want the low-bounce-bounce-stop, you'll want a wedge-y wedge.

Most 50º non-set wedges don't differ much from what sets do down to U/gap. But when paired with the likely shaft you have in your 410s, expect trajectory to vary the most, and get the one you want to play more.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

> @Maverick22 said:

> I am planning to buy a set of the G410 irons. I have a question for those who have used them. Did you buy the UW or go with a “wedge” style gap wedge?

I bought the UW with my G410 set. It has a significantly different feel from my previous blade style wedge. After practicing with both, I decided to go with the set UW. For me keeping the same feel across clubs was the deciding factor.

After playing 1st round, I have no doubt I made right choice going 50 Stealth Glide 2.0. Very nice around the green and I was glad it was an option. Saved me several strokes today. I dont think I would have same versatility with the g410 u wedge.

With saying that, I'm pretty confident I have a bigger gap than i would like on full swings. Hasnt been an issue yet. But I will take the slightly larger gap.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

First round 82. Not shabby. I didnt play particularly well and def got away with a few swings.

I am not used to the new irons yet at all. Hit some a amazing shots and some real stinkers. I am not sure if I have a lie angle issue or just doing something funky in back swing. A few dead straight but lost a few right. This irons do not want to draw much, which I'm okay with. Might need to go a degree more upright.

These things when struck nicely are towering and way long. I an carrying 4 iron 200 yards off deck and way farther of the tee. 7 iron easily matches 170 yard carry I was getting on trackman.

A little more experience and perhaps a lie angle tweak and these are gonna be really good for my game.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Went back in. Rechecked my lie angle. Black dot is perfect. 6 stripes right down the middle. Must be some rust and growing pains. I'm sure with a little more time, I will fix whatever flaw is showing up with the new clubs. Weight is drastically different then what I was playing. Carrying 4 iron 200 yards off the deck will certainly be a game changer

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread back up just because...

I've got some extra experience with the clubs now and have to say, I've never played with a more forgiving iron. Shots off the toe go low for me but they still get out there far. Results are far better than I deserve. Maltby lists the MOI at 19.0437 which if it's not the highest ever tested, it's close. G400 is 16.2720 in comparison. MOI is not the end all be all of course, but other things being equal I'll take the highest possible.

• Like 2

Hit these things at my local shop while waiting for my fairway wood to get re-gripped. Stripe show......easy and long. What a great iron. If I am ever in the market for a new iron why not take a more forgiving one

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Nessism said:

> 3 rounds in now. Two with the original XP95 shafts and one with Recoil 95's recently installed (my favorite iron shaft). I struck the ball pretty well today (for me anyway) and had a bunch of birdie looks. Feel gets a B- grade. Maybe it's that I just haven't been able to hit them in the center of the face though? Anyway, the G25's I have been playing recently sound and feel better. Distance goes to the 410's though. Even the short irons, which are the same lofts as the 25's, fly farther. Regarding spin, I backed up a few PW's and didn't have any issue holding greens in general, so guys complaining about low spin should look at their swing. The clubs are fine.

When you reshafted, was the hosel weight in a port like you thought it would be? Pretty straightforward pull and shaft job? Thanks.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

> @Wooderson said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > 3 rounds in now. Two with the original XP95 shafts and one with Recoil 95's recently installed (my favorite iron shaft). I struck the ball pretty well today (for me anyway) and had a bunch of birdie looks. Feel gets a B- grade. Maybe it's that I just haven't been able to hit them in the center of the face though? Anyway, the G25's I have been playing recently sound and feel better. Distance goes to the 410's though. Even the short irons, which are the same lofts as the 25's, fly farther. Regarding spin, I backed up a few PW's and didn't have any issue holding greens in general, so guys complaining about low spin should look at their swing. The clubs are fine.

>

> When you reshafted, was the hosel weight in a port like you thought it would be? Pretty straightforward pull and shaft job? Thanks.

Pretty sure the weight is in there but it's not directly visible. There is an aluminum cap or similar over top of it. You have to be careful when digging out the epoxy at the bottom of the hosel if you use something like a screwdriver because the cap can be damaged. When inserting the shaft it's not necessary to pound it in the hosel either, unlike older style Ping's which have a necked down area at the bottom of the hosel. As for ferrules, you either need Glide ferrules or find some other collared ferrule that will work. I bough collared ferrules from Grail Golf which are MUCH cheaper than the "glider" ferrules Golfworks sells. Billy Bob's claims to have the right ferrules but they are a smaller OD than that of the hosel.

FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @Nessism said:

> Bumping this thread back up just because...

> I've got some extra experience with the clubs now and have to say, I've never played with a more forgiving iron. Shots off the toe go low for me but they still get out there far. Results are far better than I deserve. Maltby lists the MOI at 19.0437 which if it's not the highest ever tested, it's close. G400 is 16.2720 in comparison. MOI is not the end all be all of course, but other things being equal I'll take the highest possible.

Apart from some old heads that weighed a ton, the G410 had the highest MOI of any iron on Maltby's list that I could find. JPX EZ from 2015/16 was the next highest MOI at 18.85830 (older, black JPX EZ was a touch lower).

> @LaymanM said:

> FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

>

> Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

>

> Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

I had to do the same thing! My 4 iron was C5 for crying out loud. I’m a big fan of these irons

> @Banker said:

> > @LaymanM said:

> > FWIW PING will NOT reswing weight these irons. My set came in at d0 and i decided they feel a little light. I have added 2 grams of lead tape to get them to d1. A little unsightly with the lead tape on the back but I like the small amount of extra weight. PING customer service rep said the weights are glued in place in the toe and hosel.

> >

> > Not a big deal as I have a ton of lead tape on my G410 driver lol

> >

> > Edit: I LOVE these irons!!!!

>

> I had to do the same thing! My 4 iron was C5 for crying out loud. I’m a big fan of these irons

>

Not end of the world as I dont mind lead tape. Ridiculous how good these irons are. Even crap swings go the distance lol. They have made the course a lot shorter for me. For reference

, I am carrying 7 iron 170 yards. I still need to get my distances dialed in but they are effortless and a joy to play

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Any comparisons out there to Taylor Made p790?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @Cwing said:

> Any comparisons out there to Taylor Made p790?

P790's are in a totally different class. i500 type clubs.

> @"Marco Colo" said:

> I hit the 410 on the course considerably better than the 400. Do you think they are totally equivalent or you do have the same results?

Same results as you. For me G400 were hard to play. Too much offset and had a hard time with alignment.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5