G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolf

I'll post up a honeymoon review after playing this weekend.

Everything will be wonderful and better than any clubs you've seen in years. 6 months from now, you'll post replies to guys asking about G25s and saying these were the best, don't know why I switched [friendly joke and chuckle]

I've owned just about every G going back to the 10 (other than the 400) and they have all been wonderful. I can almost give my review now..."The clubs play great, much similar to the other G's that came before"...

What I will say now is that these are the best looking G's from playing position of the lot. Love the look. The finish does kind of suck and I expect these clubs to mark up in sort order. Overall I do like the chrome though and prefer that to raw stainless. The Mizuno Hot Metal's are chrome don't don't mark up so I don't know why Ping struggles so in that regard though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Pulled the trigger last night on a set. I had the lengths altered to match the lengths in my old i25's, Kbs tour stiff shafts and midsize grips.

The big difference that I could tell between the 400 & 410 was the offset and minor head size in the mid-short irons. The 4 & 5 irons look kind of like mini crossovers to me in both sets, i can see the back bottom of the sole behind the club when i sole it, if that makes sense. They're chunky, but they look solid. Mid to short irons look really good & I really liked the feel.

Traded in some old clubs towards a 19* 410 hybrid too. I'll be all ping this year, except for the spider, it ain't going anywhere.

Hit 'em long !

Can I ask if there was an upcharge for the shaft length adjustment AND the midsized grips ?

Did you have a choice of grips ?

GC

I would buy some g410s in a heartbeat if I could get some clarity on the durability of their finish.

The chrome will mark up as will the face paint. The structure of the club, thus the ultimate durability, will be unaffected by this sort of minor cosmetic wear. If this bothers you I'd stay clear.

I also have some g25s like you do, I've been looking to upgrade and was thinking this would be the time to do it.

Now I'm not so sure......I know its minor, but I've seen some clubs that just look awful no matter how 'new' they are and often wonder why Ping would change. I'm assuming they will perform better, but I need a fitting to find that out soon. I've never needed much help with getting the ball in the air, should be interesting to see if these will just balloon for me.

I have G25s. Was on the range last year and guy beside me had G400s and let me hit his 6 iron agains mine. Don't worry about ballooning, ball flight between the two looked virtually identical and I also couldn't tell much difference in distance. I was hitting to a green at about 170 and was maybe getting a couple more yards from the G400, but with my consistency of strike I couldn't say the G400 performed any better than my G25. Certainly preferred the sound and feel of my G25 over the G400.

Pulled the trigger last night on a set. I had the lengths altered to match the lengths in my old i25's, Kbs tour stiff shafts and midsize grips.

The big difference that I could tell between the 400 & 410 was the offset and minor head size in the mid-short irons. The 4 & 5 irons look kind of like mini crossovers to me in both sets, i can see the back bottom of the sole behind the club when i sole it, if that makes sense. They're chunky, but they look solid. Mid to short irons look really good & I really liked the feel.

Traded in some old clubs towards a 19* 410 hybrid too. I'll be all ping this year, except for the spider, it ain't going anywhere.

Hit 'em long !

Can I ask if there was an upcharge for the shaft length adjustment AND the midsized grips ?

Did you have a choice of grips ?

GC

No upcharge for the adjustments or grips. I think there are 5 or six sizes to choose from. They’ll all golfpride tour velvet with a color coded “ping” cap on them i think. I got the gold ones.

Having said that, read on past that post where I describe my adventure with Ping not adjusting swingweights to compensate for lengths because it wasn’t specified on the order..... So learn from me grasshopper, don’t forget the SW

Note: used my SW and lead tape w/ some krazy glue to adjust all SW 4-6 D0 7 D1 8-9 D2 W D2.5....

Also, to me they are nothing like any of the other G series. I’ve never played a g iron, all i or s series but they look like a G series & an I series had a baby but the i series had the stronger genes so baby looks more like i series daddy. They are silly forgiving though.

Update on my review. We’re still waiting out a lot of wet weather here but have got a few rounds in. Off the tee, the G410s perform very nice. I can’t tell you that distance is any more or less than with my CF16s. They just do what they are supposed to do. Off the turf, I just can’t tell yet because it’s so dang muddy. For direction, they go where I’m aiming but can’t dial in yardages off the soggy, dormant turf. I also am in need of some range sessions after playing very little this winter.

After 2 sets of Pings I went to the CF16s and I really haven't found the feel after 2 seasons. I think the I210's would be similar to the CF16s so I'm looking at the G410s. I feel like I need just a little more club. I like the way the shorter irons have less clunk than the G400s. I could never go that extreme. I'd like to follow more comments as you play a bit more.

I ordered my set of #5 iron thru L-wedge on 2/18 and it took about 10-12 days for them to ship. I had plenty of custom length specs, and it is my first set of graphite shafts.

So far, the main difference to me between the G410's and any other Ping irons I've had, is the sound when the clubs are chattering around in my Hoofer. Maybe it's due to thinner faces, but I'm not sure. When I hit them, I don't notice a different sound or feel. I'm sure I will get used to the new sound in a few more practice sessions or rounds.

I was paying special attention to the Hydropearl 2.0 finish, as I heard that many players complained about chatter marks on the G400's. I must say that the new finish is pretty durable. I drove our course the other day to pick up some tee signs after an event. I heard the clubs banging against each other while I drove like a maniac to pick up the signs. I looked later and there was no indication of any chatter marks.

I am very pleased with my set.

I ordered my set of #5 iron thru L-wedge on 2/18 and it took about 10-12 days for them to ship. I had plenty of custom length specs, and it is my first set of graphite shafts.

So far, the main difference to me between the G410's and any other Ping irons I've had, is the sound when the clubs are chattering around in my Hoofer. Maybe it's due to thinner faces, but I'm not sure. When I hit them, I don't notice a different sound or feel. I'm sure I will get used to the new sound in a few more practice sessions or rounds.

I was paying special attention to the Hydropearl 2.0 finish, as I heard that many players complained about chatter marks on the G400's. I must say that the new finish is pretty durable. I drove our course the other day to pick up some tee signs after an event. I heard the clubs banging against each other while I drove like a maniac to pick up the signs. I looked later and there was no indication of any chatter marks.

How’d they play?

I would buy some g410s in a heartbeat if I could get some clarity on the durability of their finish.

The chrome will mark up as will the face paint. The structure of the club, thus the ultimate durability, will be unaffected by this sort of minor cosmetic wear. If this bothers you I'd stay clear.

I also have some g25s like you do, I've been looking to upgrade and was thinking this would be the time to do it.

Now I'm not so sure......I know its minor, but I've seen some clubs that just look awful no matter how 'new' they are and often wonder why Ping would change. I'm assuming they will perform better, but I need a fitting to find that out soon. I've never needed much help with getting the ball in the air, should be interesting to see if these will just balloon for me.

I have G25s. Was on the range last year and guy beside me had G400s and let me hit his 6 iron agains mine. Don't worry about ballooning, ball flight between the two looked virtually identical and I also couldn't tell much difference in distance. I was hitting to a green at about 170 and was maybe getting a couple more yards from the G400, but with my consistency of strike I couldn't say the G400 performed any better than my G25. Certainly preferred the sound and feel of my G25 over the G400.

My old man got g400s and I tried the demo club he had vs my g25s at same time. They went literally a couple of yards further with no benefit of dispersion. So I kept the g25s.

Going to try the g410 and i210 at seasons end but would not be shocked if my g25 were still competitive.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

How’d they play?

Only played one round with them so far, but have hit them sporadically on the range a few times. I'm glad I didn't get the Power Spec lofts, as they go far enough for me with the standard lofts. They look really good at impact, but I hope I don't miss the greater offset of the older models.

I am really enjoying the Alta CB graphite shaft because of the weight, the feel and the eliminated harshness on my hands, wrists and elbows. I don't notice any ballooning, but that may be because I play the Titleist AVX golf ball and it seems to spin a bit less for me. Once I get a chance to put myself on a launch monitor, I'll know if I need to change balls or not.

The online reviews of these are making my head spin. Everybody seems like they love everything about them except for the sound (feel). And then some others say they feel better than the G400's. :crazy:

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

The online reviews of these are making my head spin. Everybody seems like they love everything about them except for the sound (feel). And then some others say they feel better than the G400's. :crazy:

Seriously? I feel like there's no difference between 400 and 410.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I'm glad I didn't get the Power Spec lofts, as they go far enough for me with the standard lofts. They look really good at impact, but I hope I don't miss the greater offset of the older models.

If I get a set, I will likely order the PowerSpec lofts just so some of the offset is added back. Will also probably get the Alta CB graphite, as I am not getting any younger.

Hit a few of these at a demo day. I'm a fan. Later this year I'll probably replace my G30's with the G410's. Feel was solid. The reduced offset and improved sole was also nice. No way to compare distance given how different the specs are between my clubs and what they had. One thing I noticed -- the U wedge appeared to have a lot of bounce (noticeably more than the W wedge). Most will want the power spec lofts for that club to help tame the bounce some IMO (and I like bounce). I'll want power spec through the set to help keep loft down.

Did a blade length comparison between the G25's and G410's using the 5, 7, and 9 irons. The adjustable blade thing was moved until it just touched the toes of each 25 club, then the 25 was removed and the 410 was installed in the spec gauge without moving the blade thingy so the gap visible is the difference in blade length for each club.

32457673187_51f7179324_b.jpg20190316_144624 by nessism, on Flickr

40433907593_57f50b84f5_b.jpg20190316_144539 by nessism, on Flickr

32457672967_ab2af5392a_b.jpg20190316_144734 by nessism, on Flickr

32457672307_e52ea8b25f_b.jpg20190316_144820 by nessism, on Flickr

46484442555_a5bef9c247_b.jpg20190316_144920 by nessism, on Flickr

46484443095_548f73f65f_b.jpg20190316_144954 by nessism, on Flickr

• Like 2

Great visual comparison. To me, it means much more than whatever the actual measurements would have been.

Also for ME, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Thanks for posting that.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Do the power spec irons have more offset than the regular spec? Some posts have mentioned getting power spec to add back offset. I see no mention of this on the Ping website.

I saw the same and I don't think this is correct, I think bending an iron strong (power spec), actually decreases offset NOT increase.

Do the power spec irons have more offset than the regular spec? Some posts have mentioned getting power spec to add back offset. I see no mention of this on the Ping website.

I saw the same and I don't think this is correct, I think bending an iron strong (power spec), actually decreases offset NOT increase.

Nope. Bending strong increases offset.

Think of this way, if you bend the face up to reduce loft the leading edge tucks under and moves back. For a club with a rounded leading edge like most Ping's the effect may be minimized to some extent though.

Nope. Bending strong increases offset.

Think of this way, if you bend the face up to reduce loft the leading edge tucks under and moves back.

The issue is alive and well in an i210 thread too. There is a link to another thread in the link below that is more general in nature. I still contend that the PowerSpec lofts will increase offset, even though Ping appears to be saying otherwise. Ping's CS is usually great, but they don't always know everything. My guess is that the impact on offset isn't on their "sheet" so they are saying no change. I think if you accept that the bounce changes with loft then the offset also has to change, but I could be proven wrong.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1756152-ping-i210/

One round in. Didn't strike the ball particularly well but enjoyed the clubs regardless. The look behind the ball continues to impress and feel on center strikes was excellent. Had a 6 iron out of a fairway bunker that got up fast and seemed to fly forever. That was my (iron) high point. Sound on off center strikes, the thing I was concerned about, was not tinny like the G irons. It was clunky of course, as is the case on all irons, but they won't remind you that they are spring face irons like some others do. I'll need more time with the clubs before passing final judgement of course but so far I'm satisfied. The XP shafts in my set are fine for me but lack that finer sense of feel of the Recoil's that I'm more used too. For now they are staying put though.

• Like 1

I've been hitting the G410's (Blue dots) at the range for a few sessions now. I cannot help but scream out Wow !! These things are straight, well let's say less dispersion than my Nikes. And they are workable ! And they look great. 

The graphite is sweet to swing but I never thought I would complain about the sound, it sounds like you are murdering a duck in a 44 gallon drum ! Plus the dispersion is more than Steel - perhaps the torque !

The Recoil shaft is a bit better, but the Pro said with my swing speed I need the Steel. I'm 60 so I hope I can keep up the speed for a good few years as I don't upgrade much.

Now the Steels - on a good strike you can go to the coke machine and get a drink, come back and watch the ball land, my Nike 6 iron goes 160 meters (175 yards I think that is) on a good hit, the Ping G410 launches 10 meters higher and 170 meters easy ( ... carry the one that's like 186 yards - you know a Dustin 9 iron length).

I hit alternate Nike 6 and Ping 6 and it's consistently longer, so lets check the lofts (this should not be news to anyone but I thought Id table it) - the Pings (Black Dots) are all one club stronger than the Nikes. So are they really longer ? I think not. I also hit the SW which is the same loft and it was the same within tolerance.

Am I going to buy them ? YEP ! Because they are more forgiving - heck I hit one range ball that looked like it came out of the Texas ChainSaw Massacre and it still went straight !

jw63vy87oogt.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 rounds in now. Two with the original XP95 shafts and one with Recoil 95's recently installed (my favorite iron shaft). I struck the ball pretty well today (for me anyway) and had a bunch of birdie looks. Feel gets a B- grade. Maybe it's that I just haven't been able to hit them in the center of the face though? Anyway, the G25's I have been playing recently sound and feel better. Distance goes to the 410's though. Even the short irons, which are the same lofts as the 25's, fly farther. Regarding spin, I backed up a few PW's and didn't have any issue holding greens in general, so guys complaining about low spin should look at their swing. The clubs are fine.

> @Nessism said:

> 3 rounds in now. Two with the original XP95 shafts and one with Recoil 95's recently installed (my favorite iron shaft). I struck the ball pretty well today (for me anyway) and had a bunch of birdie looks. Feel gets a B- grade. Maybe it's that I just haven't been able to hit them in the center of the face though? Anyway, the G25's I have been playing recently sound and feel better. Distance goes to the 410's though. Even the short irons, which are the same lofts as the 25's, fly farther. Regarding spin, I backed up a few PW's and didn't have any issue holding greens in general, so guys complaining about low spin should look at their swing. The clubs are fine.

When do you play your i200's?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse