AT&T Pebble Beach

flushem

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Casey has had three 54 hole leads on the PGA Tour in his career.

He failed to win all of them.

His record now stands at 2 wins and 9 seconds.

Paul seems like it's more important to him to be a nice guy and goofy acting than to have any killer instinct whatsoever. He kind of gets this dazed look on his face whenever he gets in contention and you can see he knows it's not going to happen.

Come on. Give Casey a break (on this one). Phil shot 65 on Sunday/Monday.

Brilliant decision by Phil to skip Torrey Pines a few weeks back. Comes in Fresh(er) and pulls on #5 at PB!! Hope the trend to skip courses that don't his game continues.

Good point, he did say afterthe match with tiger that he'll be very disciplined and try not to play more than 3 weeks in a row to stay fresher

"I'm really happy with 2nd place"

Paul Casey

SMH

Why is this "SMH"? It was over. He knew it was over. The goal became finishing solo second, not tied, or solo third. It's the complete opposite of "SMH."

To some, 2nd place is first loser and shouldn't be happy about it.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver
Nike Covert 2.0 Performance 3/5
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2 Iron
Nike Vapor Pro 4-P
Taylormade ATV Grind 56°/60°
Nike Origin B1-01 putter
Nike Hyperadapt bag

Brilliant decision by Phil to skip Torrey Pines a few weeks back. Comes in Fresh(er) and pulls on #5 at PB!! Hope the trend to skip courses that don't his game continues.

Good point, he did say afterthe match with tiger that he'll be very disciplined and try not to play more than 3 weeks in a row to stay fresher

Phoenix, Pebble, Riviera and then Mexico?

That course does not suit his game, yet he's the defending champ. If the schedule isn't altered he will play four in a row.

I wonder if he skips TPC?

Paul Casey

SMH

Why is this "SMH"? It was over. He knew it was over. The goal became finishing solo second, not tied, or solo third. It's the complete opposite of "SMH."

He's also just under 27 million dollars in earnings on the PGA Tour alone. He can be happy with that.

Phil has 5 majors, but also 11 second place finishes in majors.

If one can use a second place finish to have the confidence to get in the last group on the last day again, it can work to his advantage. Glass half empty or half full.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

That course does not suit his game, yet he's the defending champ. If the schedule isn't altered he will play four in a row.

I think a lot of name players are going to skip Mexico this year. Wrong point in the schedule, wrong course for many.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Phil has 5 majors, but also 11 second place finishes in majors.

If one can use a second place finish to have the confidence to get in the last group on the last day again, it can work to his advantage. Glass half empty or half full.

On the European Tour, Paul's record is much better.

13 wins and 7 seconds.

and a little over 20 million euros

Initially he said he wouldnt play riviera and confirmed pretty late so who knows?

I think a lot of name players are going to skip Mexico this year. Wrong point in the schedule, wrong course for many.

I could easily see Tiger skip Mexico and show up at the Honda.

I think Mexico and the Match Play could see some missing players. And it will take a record amount of arm twisting to get everyone to show up for the WGC Memphis.

Paul seems like it's more important to him to be a nice guy and goofy acting than to have any killer instinct whatsoever. He kind of gets this dazed look on his face whenever he gets in contention and you can see he knows it's not going to happen.

Be nice, Yes Casey, lost it a little, but Phil was phenomenal, he basically beat the whole field on the worst day and shot a 65 and made no bogey's. I know lift, clean and place but Nobody was beating Phil.

I dont get this its like 8-9 driving irons off the tee per round and a bunch of short irons/wedges.I think tiger will love that type of course because it takes driver out of his hands and allows his creativity to be used around the greens.I wouldnt be surprised if he contends there

I dont get this its like 8-9 driving irons off the tee per round and a bunch of short irons/wedges.I think tiger will love that type of course because it takes driver out of his hands and allows his creativity to be used around the greens.I wouldnt be surprised if he contends there

For that same reason I think you'll see Jordan in Mexico. I also think you'll see Rory and Brooks pass on it.

WHAT!?

Mexico is literally perfect for Phil's game. Its relatively short given the altitude so he can bomb and gauge it around. The kikuya grass around the greens is somewhat tricky and that elevates his short game advantage. The greens are poa annua and hes one of the best poa putters of all time. Theres not water or OB. You can get into tree trouble in some spots but its more than manageable for Phil.

Theres a reason hes finished T-7th and 1st the last two years.

He literally couldn't hit it on the correct hole off the tee on Saturday in 2017 and he shot 68. It also helps him every time he hits it in the bushes there he finds a sprinkler head to get relief from.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

Got to say, I am hugely impressed with Phil thus far in 2019.

I had written him off after his play turned terrible following on from the win in Mexico last March but he has come into 2019 with his A Game it would seem. He should have won at the Bob Hope and I realise that 2 holes to play is still plenty of time for Phil (in particular) to mess up but I can't see it happening. He said after the win in Mexico that he would get to 50 wins before he is done, I still can't see that happening but I doubted that he would get even one more.

Phil's entire career has been that way. He's never been world #1, he's never won more than 4 times on tour, he goes from playing the best golf in the world to MC. He makes more biridies than anyone then he makes tons of "others".

It's just Phil being Phil....he'll probably win an event at 55 and miss the next 5 cuts.

I think that's a good take on Phil except for the missed cut part. Phil hasn't miss a lot of cuts in his career compared to other stars not named Tiger. I think because he's Phil, we notice them more.

Well, fair point, let's just say solidly out of contention. He isn't a top 10 machine like some of the guys, and in fairness to him, if it wasn't for Tiger I am sure he would have been #1 for a period of time at some point. Tiger was a buzz saw that threw his career on a different trajectory than he saw coming. OTOH I think Tiger motivated him to get better midway through his career.

Agree with the above.

Paul Casey

SMH

To those not finishing second and making $860,000, lol.

He’ll be happy when he gets paid, probably happy now.

I really enjoyed the course last year. It's strategic. Players have to play shots. Target golf is minimal. You can bomb it if you want and it has a lot of risk reward. It's a fun course.

I disagree with the comments that this year is the last chance Phil has at a US Open and that he'll never make it to 50 wins. The guy is gonna be relevant on the tour and in majors for many years to come. He can still move the ball and he's putting better now than at any point in his career, particularly the short ones that used to leave him snake-bitten.

I wouldn't be surprised. He has expressed disdain for the course.

Not feeling well today - sick. This illness marks the end of a 5-year drought of the common cold for me. The loss by Casey makes the anger and discomfort even worse. Notwithstanding the wonderment encompassing his forearms, Casey seems content with giving up 54-hole leads.

When I had the same ailment my doctor suggested I start drinking heavily.

Yep that's possible. A friend and I got beat several ago under the same circumstance. We had a ton of birdies, but on the same holes. We got beat by two guys with less holes, but on alternate holes. Sucks, but it happens.

The high level point in this is that winning is more than amateur playing good golf. It is doing it at the right time. Have 2 birdies a round when your pro gets a bogie and you are at -16 for the tournament. 2 adjusted birdies for a 13 isn't much of a stretch. Having them happen at the right time though is. That is were luck comes in. A 13 winning the tournament is likely to be playing slightly above his average (i.e. maybe gets 4 adjusted birdies/round instead of the expected 3) and then it is just a matter of if the birdies happen at the right time. It would be interesting to know how many natural birdies/pars this guy has had versus every other 10-15 in the field. Is he playing abnormally good (top 5% of expected results) or is he playing good (top 25% results) and being lucky.

But yeah the guys scores look really consistent. Maybe that is his game or the course he plays at.

I don't think we will get to see the am's card anywhere unless he puts it on IG...not seeing that happening!

But, at quick glance, it looks like the "13" contributed to the "Team" cause not too outrageously. Some of those net birdies could be a net eagle, but I doubt it. It just appeared from the numerous shots on Sunday he was playing out of his mind, as it does on Thursday, so perhaps he loves Pebble.

Thursday, PB - 6 net birdies in 14 holes

Friday, MPCC - 2 net birdies in 12 holes

Saturday, SH - 4 net birdies in 12 holes

Sunday, PB - 3 net birdies in 16 holes

He may have made net pars when Casey bogeyed as well. They don't all have to be net birdies to help the team score.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar