My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

Like i said in my previous post, which was removed from your response... i think that some people are unable to break down the root cause of their faults. There is a difference between that and being unrealistic.

Maybe so. You are more charitable toward them than I am. I think they know full well you (basically) can't lose 15 strokes to a scratch in the short game in just 12 holes. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is a lack of knowledge about scoring works instead of self-deception.

I have a friend who was driven from the green by chipping yips. He was fully capable of making an 8 from just off the green in two. He reached the point where he would either chunk it, skull it or shank it until he picked up. Painful and horrible to watch, because he was probably a mid 80's player otherwise. An extreme example, not one the OP mentions in his game, but it does happen.

Two words:

Texas

Wedge

Like i said in my previous post, which was removed from your response... i think that some people are unable to break down the root cause of their faults. There is a difference between that and being unrealistic.

Maybe so. You are more charitable toward them than I am. I think they know full well you (basically) can't lose 15 strokes to a scratch in the short game in just 12 holes. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is a lack of knowledge about scoring works instead of self-deception.

I have a friend who was driven from the green by chipping yips. He was fully capable of making an 8 from just off the green in two. He reached the point where he would either chunk it, skull it or shank it until he picked up. Painful and horrible to watch, because he was probably a mid 80's player otherwise. An extreme example, not one the OP mentions in his game, but it does happen.

Two words:

Texas

Wedge

Don't try to bring scoring logic to this show!

I think I can sum up this thread.

A player plays 10 rounds, 2 with gi clubs and played worse with them than with his blades. Gets told that isn't a big enough sample to prove anything !

Then a anti blade advocate talks about some video of a guy hit 6 balls, 3 each with 2 different irons. And low and behold that sample size is big enough to prove to the world blades are the devil.

Here is an idea, if you don't like blades, stay out of any and all blade threads. It would seem to take less effort to do that than to try to prove just how darn smart you are, and darn it people really like you.

A player plays 10 rounds, 2 with gi clubs and played worse with them than with his blades. Gets told that isn't a big enough sample to prove anything !

Then a anti blade advocate talks about some video of a guy hit 6 balls, 3 each with 2 different irons. And low and behold that sample size is big enough to prove to the world blades are the devil.

Here is an idea, if you don't like blades, stay out of any and all blade threads. It would seem to take less effort to do that than to try to prove just how darn smart you are, and darn it people really like you.

Blades are awesome. I just don't see the advantage of them over a small players CB for someone who doesn't have complete and utter control over their golf game.

Blades are awesome. I just don't see the advantage of them over a small players CB for someone who doesn't have complete and utter control over their golf game.

You know, the reality (and I suppose the science too) is that that is probably true. But there well could be the good old placebo effect also. If someone “thinks” the hit blades better, they just might due to the confidence factor. Now that is going to run contrary to PSG who thinks that nobody knows their own game better than what his math and stats say (PSG and I have a long history debating this over the years, and he does know his numbers ((I just don’t think numbers are the end all that he does)), but he’s a good guy that does know what he’s talking about. But for the life of me, i don’t understand why some people think they’re going to change someone else’s mind.

Somethings do work better for some than others.

For a majority of players I would agree with you. But the factors that a simple statistic or a maltby playability factor cannot take into account are numerous. Feel, how a club looks, personal preference, a fun factor, pleasure and so on. So because a spread sheet may say one thing, it neglects to take into account the human factor. By that I mean the single human swinging that club at that time. Your bag set up may not work for me, mine may not work for you and 100 more people. Does that mean either are wrong ?

I always enjoy the posts that tell us what a waste of time a thread is.

If it's such a waste of time, why bother to post? Just leave.

A useful side effect of these threads is that they always encourage the sh!t posters to troll with something stupid like that.

I've added like 8 names to my ignore list in the last couple weeks and I don't feel bad about it at all, haha.

There are certain names who (if you watch closely) never actually never contribute anything but snark. Once you let the site automatically edit that out, things are a lot better! :)

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Use whatever coping mechanism you need.

and you as well sir.

Don’t need one. I live in a rational universe.

Look, I’m not trying to convince you about blades and GIs here, and it’s an orthogonal topic, but you can’t just compare the number on your iron and the distance.

Maybe your 7 iron is easier to hit than my 6, but you can’t just say that one 7 goes 10 yards longer than another 7 iron so it’s more forgiving.

We can’t agree on a lot of things but comparing different lofted clubs by distance makes a lot less sense than asking “how accurate are you with the equivalent 170 yard club.”

Who said we were? Jacked lofts or not is another totally completely irrelevant subject.

This is what happens when you show up in the middle of the conversation and tell everybody why they’re wrong without knowing any background.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

I always enjoy the posts that tell us what a waste of time a thread is.

If it's such a waste of time, why bother to post? Just leave.

A useful side effect of these threads is that they always encourage the sh!t posters to troll with something stupid like that.

I've added like 8 names to my ignore list in the last couple weeks and I don't feel bad about it at all, haha.

There are certain names who (if you watch closely) never actually never contribute anything but snark. Once you let the site automatically edit that out, things are a lot better! :)

I’ve just never undstood the need to make a snarky post about a thread. I open a lot of threads that end up notinteresting me, I simply close it and move on.

But the absolute best ones.......those people who continuously post, “why can’t we just let this thread die?” Well, dumba**, you just posted in it and moved it back up to the top so more people will see it, open it, post in it, and keep it moving on!

When did I say I was anti-blade? I don’t get why my line of thinking means I hate blades. The dude who started the thread said he was a 15 handicap and that he essentially lost all of his shots on short game. I disagreed with that statement.

My opinion is blades are not beneficial for most players. Lots of other people agree. It doesn’t mean I don’t like them or I’m anti-blade.

Good grief

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

When did I say I was anti-blade? I don’t get why my line of thinking means I hate blades. The dude who started the thread said he was a 15 handicap and that he essentially lost all of his shots on short game. I disagreed with that statement.

My opinion is blades are not beneficial for most players. Lots of other people agree. It doesn’t mean I don’t like them or I’m anti-blade.

Good grief

Hater!

This site wouldn't be half the fun if the blade vs anti-blade threads died.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

This site wouldn't be half the fun if the blade vs anti-blade threads died.

Well I spose you got me there.

i think the difference is subtle and the blade would be more accurate as the CB would just go straight to path every time right.

You're entitled to your opinion.

i would say we both are however being a guy who played blades last year i feel like i am more the authority in this area. :miz:

So I guess that since I've been playing CBs for a lot longer I'd say I am more the authority in this area.

I pick up a blade every 5th time I hit into the LM, just for giggles,,,,,,,,,, and it works every time,,,,,,,, always makes me giggle. :)

i would disagree as i have gamed CB's up until the start of last year. So both are fresh in my mind. Picking up a blade every so often in a sim isn't anywhere near the same as standing over the ball on a long par 3 with a 4 iron in your hands and water everywhere. but if thats what you base your facts on, i see why your so passionate on the subject.

Well, ain't you "da man" ?!?!?! I'll never know about hitting a 3 or 4 iron over a long carry of water.

But you're right. Picking up a blade once a week or so isn't the same. But I wouldn't need to hit the blade at all.

What I base my OPINION on is my own empirical evidence. I know I don't hit the center of the sweet spot often enough. THAT is why my ball ends up in "better" places over a comparable strike with a blade.

Instead of IN the pond fronting the green I am OVER it. Instead of IN the front bunker I am OVER it. Instead of 10 yards SHORT of the front of the green I am on the FRINGE. Instead of 25 feet away from the pin I am 10 feet away. etc., etc., etc.

If there is OB to the pin side of the green and I am foolish enough to go right at the pin and hit it too far offline and it goes OB instead of had I missed it short of the OB had I hit a blade, I can live with that. If I'm laying up before a cross water PA and I hit it too far and it goes IN the water instead of being short of it, that's a ME issue, not a club issue.

THAT is what I base MY opinion on.

You disagree ? Oh well. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

You know, the reality (and I suppose the science too) is that that is probably true. But there well could be the good old placebo effect also. If someone "thinks" the hit blades better, they just might due to the confidence factor. Now that is going to run contrary to PSG who thinks that nobody knows their own game better than what his math and stats say (PSG and I have a long history debating this over the years, and he does know his numbers ((I just don't think numbers are the end all that he does)), but he's a good guy that does know what he's talking about. But for the life of me, i don't understand why some people think they're going to change someone else's mind.

... While there are a few posting, i think most are not anti blade. I do think some on the MB side misinterpret posts from those of us advocating playing the most forgiving iron you can effectively play. Admittedly for a very select few MB's are the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. I doubt many posting here about the benefit of forgiveness in irons are trying to talk anyone out of playing MB's, especially those with them already in their bags. What many of us are trying to say, especially those that have taught golf or professionally fit golfers, is just be aware of the differences between MB's and players CB's, or even GI's and SGI's for your game before buying some MB's. I certainly don't post on MB love threads but do sometimes post on these "mid index thinking about playing MB's" type threads to give a professional opinion that for most players, a more forgiving iron will lead to better scores. That’s all. So even though many of the MB zealots act like their Golfing 2nd Amendment rights are being violated and have bumper stickers on their Mercedes Coupe or their dads F150 "You can have my MB's when you pry them from my cold dead stinging fingers" nobody wants to take away or talk anyone out of their MB's. Play them for any reason you want, any reason at all if you enjoy playing them, or even if you don't enjoy plying them. But just don't delude others that are on the fence that MB's will be as forgiving as irons with a little help in their design, make them a better ball striker or improve their scores.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

You know, the reality (and I suppose the science too) is that that is probably true. But there well could be the good old placebo effect also. If someone "thinks" the hit blades better, they just might due to the confidence factor. Now that is going to run contrary to PSG who thinks that nobody knows their own game better than what his math and stats say (PSG and I have a long history debating this over the years, and he does know his numbers ((I just don't think numbers are the end all that he does)), but he's a good guy that does know what he's talking about. But for the life of me, i don't understand why some people think they're going to change someone else's mind.

... While there are a few posting, i think most are not anti blade. I do think some on the MB side misinterpret posts from those of us advocating playing the most forgiving iron you can effectively play. Admittedly for a very select few MB's are the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. I doubt many posting here about the benefit of forgiveness in irons are trying to talk anyone out of playing MB's, especially those with them already in their bags. What many of us are trying to say, especially those that have taught golf or professionally fit golfers, is just be aware of the differences between MB's and players CB's, or even GI's and SGI's for your game before buying some MB's. I certainly don't post on MB love threads but do sometimes post on these "mid index thinking about playing MB's" type threads to give a professional opinion that for most players, a more forgiving iron will lead to better scores. That’s all. So even though many of the MB zealots act like their Golfing 2nd Amendment rights are being violated and have bumper stickers on their Mercedes Coupe or your dads F150 "You can have my MB's when you pry them from my cold dead stinging fingers" nobody wants to take away or talk anyone out of their MB's. Play them for any reason you want, any reason at all if you enjoy playing them, or even if you don't enjoy plying them. But just don't delude others that are on the fence that MB's will be as forgiving as irons with a little help in their design, make them a better ball striker or improve their scores.

Wells said.

I remembered when I transitioned to I guess blade esque clubs. From burner 09 © irons to mizuno mp 62 irons. And of course there was a learning curve to striking (really rebuilding and understanding through trial and error) I remember a thread on here from my teen days about people transitioning from GI irons to players irons the second year into their golfing experience. What I’ve found and other members on here have commented on, is it does hone your ballstriking and for me it did make a difference whether my score reflected it (at that time)

It got to a point where I’m so use to the smaller low bounce sole that I couldn’t (in my mind) get the club on the ball. The high bounce of hitting a GI iron, just bounced off the turf and I didn’t feel like I struck the ball as satisfying.

In my opinion if you become highly competent after doing such things I feel you’ll be too good to resort back to something that is completely different to what your skilled at. Clearly every iron design will have some type of learning curve but to the people who play the “I hit it straight and high” I think of Chi Chi Rodreguiez or Tigers last bunker shot or Bubbas hook at the masters. There is more to the game and I feel maybe there is benefit from being imaginative to some degree or another and to put someone down because your lil rinky dink top shelf SGI-GI iron goes high and straight like the last lil set you played isn’t the standard for everyone.

We all love golf lettuce enjoy it together no matter the creed

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I remembered when I transitioned to I guess blade esque clubs. From burner 09 © irons to mizuno mp 62 irons. And of course there was a learning curve to striking (really rebuilding and understanding through trial and error) I remember a thread on here from my teen days about people transitioning from GI irons to players irons the second year into their golfing experience. What I've found and other members on here have commented on, is it does hone your ballstriking and for me it did make a difference whether my score reflected it (at that time)

It got to a point where I'm so use to the smaller low bounce sole that I couldn't (in my mind) get the club on the ball. The high bounce of hitting a GI iron, just bounced off the turf and I didn't feel like I struck the ball as satisfying.

In my opinion if you become highly competent after doing such things I feel you'll be too good to resort back to something that is completely different to what your skilled at. Clearly every iron design will have some type of learning curve but to the people who play the "I hit it straight and high" I think of Chi Chi Rodreguiez or Tigers last bunker shot or Bubbas hook at the masters. There is more to the game and I feel maybe there is benefit from being imaginative to some degree or another and to put someone down because your lil rinky dink top shelf SGI-GI iron goes high and straight like the last lil set you played isn't the standard for everyone.

We all love golf lettuce enjoy it together no matter the creed

I'm completely behind the players that work at their game with more forgiving clubs and then move into the blade shape once their games are at a certain point (and that point isn't automatically single handicap). The idea I'm not sold on is the one where blades improve your swing because they punish you more so they can be handed even to those without a grooved swing to facilitate learning.

I mean, you could do it of course, as that was how it was when blades were the only club available. But there are options today and I kind of liken that thinking to tossing someone into the deep end of the pool so they learn how to swim.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

... While there are a few posting, i think most are not anti blade. I do think some on the MB side misinterpret posts from those of us advocating playing the most forgiving iron you can effectively play. Admittedly for a very select few MB's are the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. I doubt many posting here about the benefit of forgiveness in irons are trying to talk anyone out of playing MB's, especially those with them already in their bags. What many of us are trying to say, especially those that have taught golf or professionally fit golfers, is just be aware of the differences between MB's and players CB's, or even GI's and SGI's for your game before buying some MB's. I certainly don't post on MB love threads but do sometimes post on these "mid index thinking about playing MB's" type threads to give a professional opinion that for most players, a more forgiving iron will lead to better scores. That’s all. So even though many of the MB zealots act like their Golfing 2nd Amendment rights are being violated and have bumper stickers on their Mercedes Coupe or your dads F150 "You can have my MB's when you pry them from my cold dead stinging fingers" nobody wants to take away or talk anyone out of their MB's. Play them for any reason you want, any reason at all if you enjoy playing them, or even if you don't enjoy plying them. But just don't delude others that are on the fence that MB's will be as forgiving as irons with a little help in their design, make them a better ball striker or improve their scores.

I believe its very difficult to be an advocate a more forgiving club without coming off as anti-blade. I would also like to point out that for every teaching pro or pro fitter out there who does try to communicate in a reasonable way, there are many who do not and are insulting, misinformed, and 100% preach not to play blades. In my 25 years of playing i broke down last year and bought a set of blades for the first time and sold them at the end of the year... its a common thing regardless lol. In that last year my index came down about 3.5 which is the single biggest jump in either direction from the last 15 years. I do know that there are other contributing factors other than my iron choice as to why that happened. I made the game even more difficult by playing from the tips the entire season which makes the 3.5 index improvement even more impressive. Clearly that should not have happened. The biggest question from my situation is would i have done better last season with CB's in the bag and by how much would i have done better? Thats the unknown that i think most MB fans will gravitate towards as it is an unproven factor in terms of how much or how many strokes.

So with that said i don't feel i am one of the MB zealots although i have a strong opinion on this entire situation, however it is based entirely on my own personal experience. I understand that every person will yield different results when placed in the same situation (even if they fall under the same handicap).

When you scroll through the countless posts here i think you will find that there are very few posts that actually do discuss the differences between the clubs... a large number of the posts say everything but.

I do like your post, it was well written overall except i can't wrap my head around your last statement of saying its ok to play MB's for any reason you want however don't play them for this reason or that reason. I know its written differently regarding deluding others however it really means the same thing. People either can or can't play MB's for any reason.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Two words:

Texas

Wedge

He did that when possible, but it's not always a choice. And he would sometimes yip one off the fringe, just because (I think) it was essentially a chip. You give a somewhat snarky suggestion as though he never thought of a Texas Wedge, but you would have to have seen his struggles to understand how awful they were.

These are my blades, there are many like them but these are mine. Without me my blades are useless. Without my blades I am useless......

when i saw that you made a post i thought it was to tell Stanks to screw off lol.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

Two words:

Texas

Wedge

He did that when possible, but it's not always a choice. And he would sometimes yip one off the fringe, just because (I think) it was essentially a chip. You give a somewhat snarky suggestion as though he never thought of a Texas Wedge, but you would have to have seen his struggles to understand how awful they were.

My kid tells me i have the worst short game ever and by listening to your story of your friend, clearly i am not. I do however sympathize with his situation and i am not trying to poke fun but i am glad i am not in his shoes.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Wedges... TBD

Pro V1 

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of WRXers that absolutely love the look of blades but are a bit scared to actually consider playing with them (I was one of those people too a year ago).

A few months ago, I decided to buy a Mizuno combo set. I'm gaming 4-6 MP-18 SC, and 7-PW MP-18 MB. All of them have Modus 3 120 X flex shafts. To be honest, I almost wish I went 4-PW in the MB because I don't find the SC to be any more forgiving than the MB, however the feel is on par I'd say. My swing speed with driver is about 110MPH and with a 7 iron is around 93MPH.

I was a pretty decent ball striker but my handicap was awfully high due to my short game (putting & within 50 yards). I am a complete sucker for looks & feel, and those two attributes are probably most important to me when choosing clubs to play. With that said, the switch from GI irons to blades has been amazing for me. I personally don't buy into the whole "forgiveness" thing too much. Sure, a big fat hunk of metal with much more toe weighting might help you pull a few more yards out of a mishit, but the reality is, regardless of the iron you're playing the shot is going to be a bad shot whether you get 5 extra yards or not. Nevertheless, these irons have helped me find the middle of the club more often than not and best of all have inspired me to play golf even more. Every time I see these irons in my golf bag, I can't help myself put to go pull one out and just admire the beauty (I know, I'm a loser).

Anyway, my point in writing this is to hopefully inspire somebody else on the fence about blades to give them a try. If you have any other specific questions, ask away!

This post makes me want to buy a used set of either Miura Baby Blades, Bridgestone J15 MBs or Mizzy MP 18 MBs with either KBS or NS Pro shafts.

I don't think "post only if you like and agree with something" is the recipe of a good discussion or a good forum

Healthy and respectful disagreement helps people form better options

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique