Low hdcp going to GI irons

jasonTeI3

Theres really no formula......I do know being a low hdcp and that perspective is totally different than one from a mid or up......you dont have many to give back to field and everything counts.....same as ballstriking perception, most think they flush it all the time and when you get better you realize how many mishits they'r are in a round.....I myself cant play G400 type clubs but totally understand the benefit......play whatever you think is gonna work.....and perceptions are very different depending on where your coming from (VERY DIFFERENT)!

you can always go back

Monitors reviews are worthless for me.....mishit a blade and G400 and there is a difference, I've done it and seen it......without a doubt GI are easier to hit, if it's easier for you idk....

Start smacking the toe, or high on face and see what happens. Lol........small mis maybe not but big miss definetly

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @"b.mattay" said:

> > I'm actually going the other way. At every demo day I've ever tried I hit blades straighter and further than GI irons (TW blades vs 790, iBlades vs G410 etc.) My friend has some 690MB's and those have a better flight and about 10 yards per club on my AP2.

>

> If you aren't elevating/spinning the ball properly with the blades that could be the extra distance.. did you test them on course to see how they're stopping on greens? Just saying it's best to test on course if you can.

Blades spin just fine, if not more! The shape of the head makes me shallow out angle of attack with more forward lean=more compression! ✌️

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I am a 5.2 handicap and use the Cleveland 588 altitude irons which are basically hybrid irons! They are not strong lofted and ironically fly the same yardage as my Miura lefty CB's but they flight higher on average. I drilled holes in the toe of each club so that I could hotmelt them to my preferred swing weight and it gave them a really dense feeling which I like and I can still discern exactly where on the club face every shot is struck. They are not a one trick pony as I can hit them high and low and they are just as easy to work left and right as any club in my opinion.

Because of my job I often have to go three or four months without teeing it up and they just make it easier to play respectable golf during my vacation time. If I am going on a golf trip...the altitudes are coming with me over the Miuras because I know they will perform in all turf conditions and will give me the most help on off center strikes. I also play Cleveland smart sole wedges and love them things also !! I think I have played one round of golf with a set of blades so I can't really speak on them but I would say it is a good thing to have a set of "game improvement" irons that you can fall back on as your game ebbs and flows just find a set that looks reasonably good to your eye and then get them bent to go the yardages that you want them to go knowing that you will likely just hit them a bit higher due do slight CoG differences. My 7 iron goes 175 yards with my altitudes and my Miuras and they spin about the same also so I can interchange my irons and not have to make any other adjustments to my bag but it just depends on how much golf I am playing and how my body is feeling physically which set I play.

• Like 1

As a lazy golfer I find it far easier to clean a blade than almost all of the cavity back out today. They have so many small nooks and crannies and undercuts and stickers and plates you just can’t keep them clean. I bet there is gram of crud stuck in the back of some of them.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

> @2Down said:

> As a lazy golfer I find it far easier to clean a blade than almost all of the cavity back out today. They have so many small nooks and crannies and undercuts and stickers and plates you just can’t keep them clean. I bet there is gram of crud stuck in the back of some of them.

I’m with you on this one! And I hate seeing dirty clubs in my bag. I guess this goes back to the old saying if you can’t play good. Look good.

>

I'm about a 3 handicap at the moment and I play Titleist 718 AP1s. However, I'm probably worse with them than I was with my old Taylormade TP Rac Combo set because I have nearly zero confidence with the short irons. I don't know how far I'm going to hit it and usually end up nuking it over the green or getting timid (due to the nukes) and miss hitting it elsewhere.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > I don’t get the sweeper/digger thing. If you’re a good ball striker you can hit anything. I have P790s but contemplated the G400s when I bought new irons. Like you I don’t practice a lot so some forgiveness was definitely a priority when I bought new irons. I love the P790s but the G400s are still in the back of mind.

> > >

> > > Flip it around. Why don’t you play a thin soled iron ? Low bounce wedges etc ?

> >

> > Because a wider sole is more forgiving on slight mishits from any lie.

>

> Unless you’re a picker and need to cut a shallow but sharp divot to get the club to the equator of the ball. Next time I’m on course I’m going to take a pic of the difference in divots I’m talking about. One is sharp and even. The one with i500 ( wide sole “ is shallower and jagged , very much just a scrape or disturbance in the grass.

>

> I agree that any iron will work in wet conditions. But take our concrete conditions now. I have a hard time making solid strikes with the i500. I went back to my old worn out set of MBs and my scoring average dropped 3 shots in 4 weeks.

>

> It may matter less of it may matter that the sole is wide if you’re a digger. If you take big pelts even in dry conditions , I get that too. But you have to get that the inverse is a real thing as well. Since most of my Competition rounds are during our dry summers it just makes sense to play the odds.

Well said. I am terrified of soles too wide as the clay in Tenn turns to brick in warm weather, and the ball just keeps on bouncing. But I do play P790 as I need the help.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

> @Outgolfn said:

> As a fitter, I would have to ask you many questions. Most of which are probably already covered in the above responses that I did not read all of. So, I will go with one, your clubhead speed. The reason I ask is because with GI irons, you get a bigger sweetspot(we all know that). With a bigger sweetspot, you can also get a hotspot. This usually only effects the higher clubhead speeds. It is the main reason you really don't see top level players using GI irons. With speed, it's like hitting a flyer from the fairway if you hit it on the button(hotspot). So, if you have speed, I'd be carefull with this.

> One last thing, I use a Players GI iron in the Srixon 585's. I love them. They are forged which gives them a great feel. They are also easy to look down at and are very forgiving. Anyway, with my 95 to 100mph Driver swing speed, they are no problem with "Hot Spot".

You're a fitter ? Don't care to derail a thread but hotspot ? Why not bring up "Bigfoot" ?

OP, please pay ZERO attention to this. Experiment and choose. As someone else said you can always go back.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I’m very steep into the ball and have a high launch/high spin shot. Over the past few years I’ve had CF16, AP2, i200, JPX 900 all with PX 6.0/5.5, DG X100, AMT X100 to help bring the spin down. The problem for me was these shafts were to heavy and stiff for me on the course.

I did a fitting earlier this year and was for into Srixon Z585 with NS Pro 950 GH. The stronger lofts, wider sole mixed with a higher launching shaft produced the best results for me. Now on the course, I don’t have to think about anything besides the shot.

Most senior better players at my club play a type of GI irons. The younger ones are really really good ballstrikers and they've been using their sets for years without complaints. A couple of them even play curved balls at will. Mind you, they have impressive swings and they've been playing the game all their life.

I've personally played a span of outstanding ballstriking with a set of Ping I20, which are GI indeed. And I've been hitting my Callaway XR's for several years now and I'm really pleased with them. Things get easier and the clubs help when practice is scarce.

> @balls_deep said:

> My first thought is to say don't do it.. but then if you've hit them, liked them, and the numbers were right it could be a good option. A friend I play with uses G400 and they have too much offset for my liking. I also don't like that you can see the cavity on the 4 and 5 iron. Top line is actually very nice for a SGI iron. I just read the Ping Blueprint article on Golf Digest where they were talking about how some players hit small heads better. I definitely fall into that category. That said, I just ordered a set of i210 to try as I had really good luck with the i200 and should never have sold them. Have you tried the newer i series? IMO it's GI help in a players look with an acceptable sole width. Long story short though - if you felt comfortable and the fit was right why not try them? If you don't work the ball a ton I don't see any issue with it. High and straight is a good way to go!

Did this several years ago, actually had my all time lowest round shortly after the move. But the one thing that over time I noticed was too much offset, so changed up still in the GI family but a club with less offset, that was my only complaint about doing it.

> @Nessism said:

> Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

>

> But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

>

>

> Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

>

I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> >

> > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> >

> >

> > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> >

>

> I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > >

> > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > >

> > >

> > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > >

> >

> > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

>

> I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

Edited because autocorrect

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @edgerat said:

>

>

>

> Same loft, nearly identical numbers. There are a few more videos like this out there. I have done the test myself, filtering out my appalling shots, I get the same results.

I see this same comparison all of the time, and it always leaves out one very important factor.....Shaft length.

If I have 2 clubs with the same loft but different shaft lengths, and I am getting the same distance from the club with the shorter shaft, then not only is that club head producing more distance, but in theory it should have tighter dispersion as well.

With modern golf technology static loft is no longer as important as it was years ago. That is why new GI irons can launch quite a bit higher than similarly lofted "blades"

• Like 1

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > > >

> > > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> >

> > I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

>

>

> I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

>

> I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

>

> Edited because autocorrect

I agree completely with the exception of Bigern. He plays same courses I do. And disagrees. I don’t think he’s wrong and i don’t think that he thinks I’m making it up . But I do think , he thinks I’m nuts. lol. I guess the. Best way it describe it is. I could play any iron and probably not effect score much . But for some reason a thin iron and it’s turf interaction cause a confident feeling in me. And it’s because of the way it goes through the ground and doesn’t hang up or bounce off. I do not know exactly why that is. But I do know it’s true. All winter while it was muddy I loved the i500. Said I’d buy a backup set. Then when it dried out I hated them. The contact and turf interaction changed. That’s all I can tell you.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @1Mordrid1 said:

> > @edgerat said:

> >

> >

> >

> > Same loft, nearly identical numbers. There are a few more videos like this out there. I have done the test myself, filtering out my appalling shots, I get the same results.

>

> I see this same comparison all of the time, and it always leaves out one very important factor.....Shaft length.

>

> If I have 2 clubs with the same loft but different shaft lengths, and I am getting the same distance from the club with the shorter shaft, then not only is that club head producing more distance, but in theory it should have tighter dispersion as well.

>

> With modern golf technology static loft is no longer as important as it was years ago. That is why new GI irons can launch quite a bit higher than similarly lofted "blades"

That’s another thing. I didn’t see that i500 vs blade. Same shaft. I500 launches lower in long irons. Same in mid and barely more in short irons. If I tried hard.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @1Mordrid1 said:

> > > @edgerat said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Same loft, nearly identical numbers. There are a few more videos like this out there. I have done the test myself, filtering out my appalling shots, I get the same results.

> >

> > I see this same comparison all of the time, and it always leaves out one very important factor.....Shaft length.

> >

> > If I have 2 clubs with the same loft but different shaft lengths, and I am getting the same distance from the club with the shorter shaft, then not only is that club head producing more distance, but in theory it should have tighter dispersion as well.

> >

> > With modern golf technology static loft is no longer as important as it was years ago. That is why new GI irons can launch quite a bit higher than similarly lofted "blades"

>

>

> That’s another thing. I didn’t see that i500 vs blade. Same shaft. I500 launches lower in long irons. Same in mid and barely more in short irons. If I tried hard.

I've been playing two sets of irons this year, 1980 Golden Rams and 2011 TM TP MC. Allowing for loft differences, I've been hitting the Rams noticeably higher this year. DGS400 in TMs, Dynamic S in Rams.

It's not GI vs blade, but taken in context, it's as close as I've got. LOL

I'd love to see actual trajectory comparisons with something like the Eye2+ or the ISI, the latter being the highest trajectory iron I've ever hit. Outside of single length short irons, that is.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @bladehunter said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > > > >

> > > > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> > >

> > > I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

> >

> >

> > I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

> >

> > I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

> >

> > Edited because autocorrect

>

> I agree completely with the exception of Bigern. He plays same courses I do. And disagrees. I don’t think he’s wrong and i don’t think that he thinks I’m making it up . But I do think , he thinks I’m nuts. lol. I guess the. Best way it describe it is. I could play any iron and probably not effect score much . But for some reason a thin iron and it’s turf interaction cause a confident feeling in me. And it’s because of the way it goes through the ground and doesn’t hang up or bounce off. I do not know exactly why that is. But I do know it’s true. All winter while it was muddy I loved the i500. Said I’d buy a backup set. Then when it dried out I hated them. The contact and turf interaction changed. That’s all I can tell you.

I simply feel that “turf interaction” is a preference and has nothing to do with performance. A solid strike is a solid strike regardless of club or course conditions. A G400 vs a baby blade may have different divots but making solid contact is no different with one vs the other. No lie is exactly the same and course conditions can vary from one minute to the next and I can’t imagine thinking of changing a set of irons based on that.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> > > >

> > > > I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

> > >

> > >

> > > I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

> > >

> > > I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

> > >

> > > Edited because autocorrect

> >

> > I agree completely with the exception of Bigern. He plays same courses I do. And disagrees. I don’t think he’s wrong and i don’t think that he thinks I’m making it up . But I do think , he thinks I’m nuts. lol. I guess the. Best way it describe it is. I could play any iron and probably not effect score much . But for some reason a thin iron and it’s turf interaction cause a confident feeling in me. And it’s because of the way it goes through the ground and doesn’t hang up or bounce off. I do not know exactly why that is. But I do know it’s true. All winter while it was muddy I loved the i500. Said I’d buy a backup set. Then when it dried out I hated them. The contact and turf interaction changed. That’s all I can tell you.

>

> I simply feel that **“turf interaction” is a preference and has nothing to do with performance. A solid strike is a solid strike regardless of club **or course conditions. A G400 vs a baby blade may have different divots but making solid contact is no different with one vs the other. No lie is exactly the same and course conditions can vary from one minute to the next and I can’t imagine thinking of changing a set of irons based on that.

Agreed to a point, but I'd argue that depending on the swing, one player may be able to make solid contact more consistently with a certain sole design. My friend plays G400 and I play iBlade and I can tell you it is MUCH easier for me to get a crisp strike with the iBlade. You interact with the turf after the ball, of course, but if you watch the TXG guys on youtube you'll see people hitting it heavy with wider soles and then puring thin soles.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> > > >

> > > > I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

> > >

> > >

> > > I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

> > >

> > > I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

> > >

> > > Edited because autocorrect

> >

> > I agree completely with the exception of Bigern. He plays same courses I do. And disagrees. I don’t think he’s wrong and i don’t think that he thinks I’m making it up . But I do think , he thinks I’m nuts. lol. I guess the. Best way it describe it is. I could play any iron and probably not effect score much . But for some reason a thin iron and it’s turf interaction cause a confident feeling in me. And it’s because of the way it goes through the ground and doesn’t hang up or bounce off. I do not know exactly why that is. But I do know it’s true. All winter while it was muddy I loved the i500. Said I’d buy a backup set. Then when it dried out I hated them. The contact and turf interaction changed. That’s all I can tell you.

>

> I simply feel that “turf interaction” is a preference and has nothing to do with performance. A solid strike is a solid strike regardless of club or course conditions. A G400 vs a baby blade may have different divots but making solid contact is no different with one vs the other. No lie is exactly the same and course conditions can vary from one minute to the next and I can’t imagine thinking of changing a set of irons based on that.

To play devils advocate. Why don’t you play something wider or larger than the 790? Is it only because of looks ?

Not trying to agitate. But I do think you probably chose for the same reason just a little different place on the scale.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > > > > Hit a G410 5 iron from about 195 yesterday off a hard mud lie. Made a clean strike and wound up just off the back side of the green. Laughed and thought of all the people around here that say you can't hit a wide sole high bounce GI club off a tight lie. :*

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But how are they off the cartpath ? Lol

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Part joke. But part serious. Saturday I noticed that I wasn’t throwing a divot. I was making what looked like a divot , about 6-8 inches long. But nothing flew out. No pelt. Ground is that hard here. You’re actually just shaving off the grass. With a wide iron It would just be a rubbed place and a thin strike unless caught 100% perfect. Same as cart path shot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I just do not get this line of thinking. The sole makes zero difference in the contact. I guess if you had irons with 20* of bounce then you may have an issue. I play in the same area as you (played willow creek and village within the past week) and we have no issue taking divots from the fairways.

> > > > >

> > > > > I wish it wasn’t an issue for me. It truly limits the irons that I get along with. Must be angle of attack or something. I500 just doesn’t get through the turf at all. Just glides On top.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don't think people will truly understand until they play on the conditions you see, BH.

> > > >

> > > > I live in a part of the Twin Cities that is largely clay based. When it's drier, it's a lot like you describe, fairways get pretty firm. When it's wet, its completely different. Night and day.

> > > >

> > > > Edited because autocorrect

> > >

> > > I agree completely with the exception of Bigern. He plays same courses I do. And disagrees. I don’t think he’s wrong and i don’t think that he thinks I’m making it up . But I do think , he thinks I’m nuts. lol. I guess the. Best way it describe it is. I could play any iron and probably not effect score much . But for some reason a thin iron and it’s turf interaction cause a confident feeling in me. And it’s because of the way it goes through the ground and doesn’t hang up or bounce off. I do not know exactly why that is. But I do know it’s true. All winter while it was muddy I loved the i500. Said I’d buy a backup set. Then when it dried out I hated them. The contact and turf interaction changed. That’s all I can tell you.

> >

> > I simply feel that “turf interaction” is a preference and has nothing to do with performance. A solid strike is a solid strike regardless of club or course conditions. A G400 vs a baby blade may have different divots but making solid contact is no different with one vs the other. No lie is exactly the same and course conditions can vary from one minute to the next and I can’t imagine thinking of changing a set of irons based on that.

>

> To play devils advocate. Why don’t you play something wider or larger than the 790? Is it only because of looks ?

>

> Not trying to agitate. But I do think you probably chose for the same reason just a little different place on the scale.

My last iron purchase came down to G400 and P790. I hit them both well so the deciding factor was looks. I have debated on getting a set of G400 just to give them an extended whirl on the course.

> @RacineBoxer said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Not only that but they lengthen the 4-6 iron an extra 1/8 inch for extra distance as well. My friend uses them and the things are cannons. It's a bit silly. He's a good player and switched from blades to these and I see him fat the ball more than he used to. Could be the wider sole getting in the way. Personally I think the i210 is plenty GI.

>

> Well... 90%+ of golfers in the GI category struggle with getting a full 12-15 yards separation between their 4-5-6 irons. I know I do (or did). Setting the clubs up to give more of a gap on that end is exactly what a GI club should do. Ping should be commended for being smart. I swing driver around 100-105, play to a 6 handicap, and have about 13-15 yards between my 5 and 6 iron. Essentially perfect IMO. For the first time (this year) I'm gaming a hybrid. My 5 iron is 200-205 and my 4 hybrid is 215-220. No gaping issues anywhere from 5 iron to U-wedge with my G400's and I've never heard of anyone complaining about that. U is 120, PW is 135 and 9 iron is 150. Again, right where I want them.

This is exactly the same for me. Could be my evil twin!

Driver: PING G410 9 Tensei CK-Pro Raw Orange AV 65 Stiff

3 Wood: PING Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff

5 Wood: PING G410 18 Fuji Atmos TS Black 7

Hybrid: PING G25 20, 23, 27 TCF 189H Stiff

Irons: PING Eye I25 6-PW CFS Stiff

Wedges: PING MB 52, 56, 60 CS-Lite Stiff

Putter: Bobby Grace ARSE Kicker

I've been playing some Mizuno JPX 900 HMs (4 - GW) the past 3 months. I wasn't a fan of the GW, so I ordered the 919 Forged in PW and GW with matching Modus shafts for my set. It's nice that the PW and GW are the same length in both sets (4-9 in the 919s are a quarter inch longer). I'm going to see how they play out of the box, but will probably get them bent 1 degree to improve gapping.

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad