2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Increasing LPGA popularity and how to solve problems if any

> @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> >

> > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> >

>

> You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> > >

> > > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> > >

> >

> > You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

>

> Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

>

> Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

>

> 'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

He prefers dudes, leave him alone.

> @MountainGoat said:

> OK, I'll exit this by saying that the issue in this thread is how to make the LPGA more popular. I don't think you make a sport more watchable by making your participants look less competent. If you set up a course to make everyone play terribly, it might be sport, but it's not marketable sport. This issue isn't difficulty, it's the illusion of difficulty and the perception that the participants are overcoming the difficulty. It's not so much birdies as the sense that the competitors have mastered their craft and are playing the elements as well as they can be played. I don't get that sense from women's golf. But, don't listen to me...I'm just a spectator....albeit one with a wallet.

So what is your annual spend at PGA tournaments versus LPGA tournaments?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> >

> > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> >

>

> You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

Brooks made 5 on a par 5 that he just needed three-wood 2 iron to reach. Failed to get up and down. Hannah Green shortsided herself on 18, made a nice bunker shot and a clutch putt.

You can't choke if you don't put yourself in position to win in the first place.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I don't think there is much wrong with the "product" as such, or at least not much that can be fixed. Some here have talked about exposure and advertising, but i am not sure that works either. Perhaps it is just the case that LPGA is a niche sport with a finite market. Over the last couple of years I have bought multiple 4-day passes to the Ladies' Australian Open, and then dragged friends/family along - different people on different days. I would say that to a man (and woman) they were all mightily impressed with the world of LPGA, and all regarded it as something of a hidden gem. However, it is not transpired into ongoing support of the LPGA from any of those people! My wife, perhaps, knows 10-20 players, but only because I watch! She will at least watch LPGA with me, whilst hating other sports - especially football.

As legitimategolf said, the competition is the product. i also think the integrity of the competition is part of it also. It possible to really damage the product by modifying it to chase a market. You might obtain some fresh market,. and lose your core support (as has happened in international cricket). That fact that not every tournament turns into a duel in the sun is just the nature of sport. Both the men's and women's games have been beset by some underwhelming final round performances recently. That's part of the product too - majors pressure causing players to fold up. I thought Hazeltine was great, and better than Pebble Beach. But neither were as epic as Brooks at Bethpage, Lucky at Charleston or...drum roll...Tiger at Augusta. But never forget, Tiger won with all his opponents folding under pressure.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> > > >

> > > > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> > > >

> > >

> > > You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

> >

> > Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

> >

> > Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

> >

> > 'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

> He prefers dudes, leave him alone.

Compare the ratings for the 2 tours, without insults.

> @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> > > > >

> > > > > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

> > >

> > > Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

> > >

> > > Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

> > >

> > > 'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

> > He prefers dudes, leave him alone.

> Compare the ratings for the 2 tours, without insults.

Nobody doubts that the ratings are higher for the men. Yes, the LPGA is a niche within a niche sport.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> > > > >

> > > > > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

> > >

> > > Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

> > >

> > > Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

> > >

> > > 'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

> > He prefers dudes, leave him alone.

> Compare the ratings for the 2 tours, without insults.

Apologies for the insult. I get carried away sometimes! But this is not the place for that. Shame on me.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > > @I_HATE_SNOW said:

> > > > > > > Sunday was a choke fest, hard to watch as they appeared too scared to win.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So basically like Rosie, Chaz, Louis, and Rory at the U.S. Open?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > You forgot to mention Brooks and Woodland, wonder why?

> > > >

> > > > Hannah and Sung Hyun put on an exciting finish. 'Came down to a crucial sand save on the final hole.

> > > >

> > > > Gary held on with a 2 under round. Brooks shot 3 under. Sung Hyun shot 4 under.

> > > >

> > > > 'Not saying the USO wasn't exciting, but there were plenty of players checking out. 'No different than the USWO.

> > > He prefers dudes, leave him alone.

> > Compare the ratings for the 2 tours, without insults.

>

> Apologies for the insult. I get carried away sometimes! But this is not the place for that. Shame on me.

In today's world, that is no longer an insult. Sorry.

I was browsing through the forum posts from 10 years ago, and it seems that little has changed:

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/279235/problem-with-lpga/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/279235/problem-with-lpga/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/279235/problem-with-lpga/p1")

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/241049/whats-next-for-the-lpga/p1](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/241049/whats-next-for-the-lpga/p1 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/241049/whats-next-for-the-lpga/p1")

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/285801/anyobdy-else-know-that-a-womens-major-is-currently-underway](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/285801/anyobdy-else-know-that-a-womens-major-is-currently-underway "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/285801/anyobdy-else-know-that-a-womens-major-is-currently-underway")

Hi there,

I haven't read all the posts, but I see the OP talked about JE Lee6.

Here's her story in Korean, language, so if I translate a little bit.

http://www.golfdigest.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=31725

"My father was a trucker, but he got his legs disabled in an accident when I was 4...

I wanted to become a teaching pro to support my family because I am the only child...

I usually reward myself with ramen when I win. Today I am so happy that I can eat ramen also I can buy a new pair of shoes"

I definitely don't want to make fun of her, because there were already five Jeong-eun Lee when she became a pro.

She's doing her best to support her family and to become good.

• 1 month later...

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Hard for the LPGA to be popular when it's rarely on network TV or some obscure channel.

As they just finished two rounds on NBC this weekend.

Honest question. In the age of DVR, does anyone give a sh-t what channel/network covers golf? The tournament could be on Country Music Television, or Oxygen, and I'd still record it and watch it. The era of the major networks is long past. Nobody is going to sit home on a beautiful summer day and watch golf, men or women.

I loved watching LPGA events as they are more akin to my game and yardages.....

Also as the world of entertainment has grown these past 30-40 yrs or so, advent of the internet, social media etc we have choices beyond our imagination..... things have gotten so overwrought and overwhelming I've actually gotten bored with watching anything on the tube ....error flatscreen! Tough to get excited when you've seen so much over time.....

The South Korean influx has taken its toll on the LPGA imho ......nothing to do with game probably more to the language barrier....we don't see them in the commercial aspect here in the States, so there's that.....regardless, not much can be done to entice viewers or ticketholders for more viewership as the time invested in entertainment has been stretched to near the limits

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > Hard for the LPGA to be popular when it's rarely on network TV or some obscure channel.

>

> As they just finished two rounds on NBC this weekend.

>

> Honest question. In the age of DVR, does anyone give a sh-t what channel/network covers golf? The tournament could be on Country Music Television, or Oxygen, and I'd still record it and watch it. The era of the major networks is long past. Nobody is going to sit home on a beautiful summer day and watch golf, men or women.

No doubt summer weather is a factor, but it is for the PGA as well. I did watch a bit on NBC this morning before I went out to enjoy the day. As for channels, millions have cut the cord and it grows by ~million every month. Many haven't replaced it with a service that has a dvr feature because so much content is on demand. Many have also shun premium channels all together. There is plenty of local content over the air for free in metro regions. A growing number of viewers aren't getting those more obscure channels especially if they come at a premium on alternative services like sling, YouTube or Hulu etc. So it can't help if they are only available to a shrinking audience.

No doubt the LPGA needs to embrace streaming big time.

> @Argonne69 said:

> No doubt the LPGA needs to embrace streaming big time.

Yep. If the LPGA had a streaming service or was on NBC Gold like PGA tour live is, my wife would watch it.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

For me it's an accesability issue, finding it on TV in the UK is the hardest part. DVR's allow for the time differences however if it's not being broadcast I can't record it.

I would love a PGA/LPGA channel like the NFL have, that would allow all the golf to be shown worldwide in one concise place for fans to get access.

• Like 1

Isn’t it obvious? If the LPGA wants more interest and higher ratings, it needs more golfers that are more interesting to US audiences. There aren’t many at all currently. Lexi could be it but she isn’t good enough. Maybe Lydia Ko but she has dropped off a cliff. Are any of the new ones coming in good enough and compelling enough? Who knows?

> @LICC said:

> Isn’t it obvious? If the LPGA wants more interest and higher ratings, it needs more golfers that are more interesting to US audiences. There aren’t many at all currently. Lexi could be it but she isn’t good enough. Maybe Lydia Ko but she has dropped off a cliff. Are any of the new ones coming in good enough and compelling enough? Who knows?

Have you looked at Jin Young Ko's stats this season? Three wins including two majors. Over 30 rounds played in the 60's. If she isn't good enough, I don't know what would attract an audience.

6ix won the U.S. Women's Open as a rookie. She's running away with the Rookie of the Year race. She has a very interesting back story.

There are plenty of excellent golfers, and interesting characters on the tour if people would take a few minutes to watch. Of course it's a chicken and egg situation.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > Isn’t it obvious? If the LPGA wants more interest and higher ratings, it needs more golfers that are more interesting to US audiences. There aren’t many at all currently. Lexi could be it but she isn’t good enough. Maybe Lydia Ko but she has dropped off a cliff. Are any of the new ones coming in good enough and compelling enough? Who knows?

>

> Have you looked at Jin Young Ko's stats this season? Three wins including two majors. Over 30 rounds played in the 60's. If she isn't good enough, I don't know what would attract an audience.

>

> 6ix won the U.S. Women's Open as a rookie. She's running away with the Rookie of the Year race. She has a very interesting back story.

>

> There are plenty of excellent golfers, and interesting characters on the tour if people would take a few minutes to watch. Of course it's a chicken and egg situation.

>

Both are new to the scene. They have to maintain top play for a few years. There have been a number of LPGA golfers hit the top then fall quickly and become off the radar. And I don’t know if their personalities will resonate. If Maria Fassi rolled off some major wins I could see people being interested.

> @LICC said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > Isn’t it obvious? If the LPGA wants more interest and higher ratings, it needs more golfers that are more interesting to US audiences. There aren’t many at all currently. Lexi could be it but she isn’t good enough. Maybe Lydia Ko but she has dropped off a cliff. Are any of the new ones coming in good enough and compelling enough? Who knows?

> >

> > Have you looked at Jin Young Ko's stats this season? Three wins including two majors. Over 30 rounds played in the 60's. If she isn't good enough, I don't know what would attract an audience.

> >

> > 6ix won the U.S. Women's Open as a rookie. She's running away with the Rookie of the Year race. She has a very interesting back story.

> >

> > There are plenty of excellent golfers, and interesting characters on the tour if people would take a few minutes to watch. Of course it's a chicken and egg situation.

> >

>

> Both are new to the scene. They have to maintain top play for a few years. There have been a number of LPGA golfers hit the top then fall quickly and become off the radar. And I don’t know if their personalities will resonate. If Maria Fassi rolled off some major wins I could see people being interested.

If longevity is key to popularity, then the tour is doomed. We've seeing a wave of new players having their moment in the sun, and then they drift a little. The talent in the pipeline is pretty impressive. I don't know if we're going to see a sustained star.

It needs to be more grass roots. Get more young girls playing the game and interested in it. Boys too. If you want potential viewers you need more people with a genuine interest in the game. Plus you need superstars, SeRi Pak was just that in Korea and look what happened. The Western works needs a SeRi Pak.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > Isn’t it obvious? If the LPGA wants more interest and higher ratings, it needs more golfers that are more interesting to US audiences. There aren’t many at all currently. Lexi could be it but she isn’t good enough. Maybe Lydia Ko but she has dropped off a cliff. Are any of the new ones coming in good enough and compelling enough? Who knows?

> > >

> > > Have you looked at Jin Young Ko's stats this season? Three wins including two majors. Over 30 rounds played in the 60's. If she isn't good enough, I don't know what would attract an audience.

> > >

> > > 6ix won the U.S. Women's Open as a rookie. She's running away with the Rookie of the Year race. She has a very interesting back story.

> > >

> > > There are plenty of excellent golfers, and interesting characters on the tour if people would take a few minutes to watch. Of course it's a chicken and egg situation.

> > >

> >

> > Both are new to the scene. They have to maintain top play for a few years. There have been a number of LPGA golfers hit the top then fall quickly and become off the radar. And I don’t know if their personalities will resonate. If Maria Fassi rolled off some major wins I could see people being interested.

>

> If longevity is key to popularity, then the tour is doomed. We've seeing a wave of new players having their moment in the sun, and then they drift a little. The talent in the pipeline is pretty impressive. I don't know if we're going to see a sustained star.

>

Longevity? How about more than just two years?

> @Jedaigeki said:

> For me it's an accesability issue, finding it on TV in the UK is the hardest part. DVR's allow for the time differences however if it's not being broadcast I can't record it.

> I would love a PGA/LPGA channel like the NFL have, that would allow all the golf to be shown worldwide in one concise place for fans to get access.

Agree. Accessibility is a key factor. Even for people with cable, many aren't digging to find it unless they are a diehard fan or happen to stumble upon it. To be more popular it needs to be available to the masses with ease.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > @Jedaigeki said:

> > For me it's an accesability issue, finding it on TV in the UK is the hardest part. DVR's allow for the time differences however if it's not being broadcast I can't record it.

> > I would love a PGA/LPGA channel like the NFL have, that would allow all the golf to be shown worldwide in one concise place for fans to get access.

>

> Agree. Accessibility is a key factor. Even for people with cable, many aren't digging to find it unless they are a diehard fan or happen to stumble upon it. To be more popular it needs to be available to the masses with ease.

I don't see this as a factor at all, in the US at least. Almost everyone who is a golf fan can easily access Golf Channel, which shows a lot of the LPGA. The problem is a lack of compelling top LPGA golfers at this time.