"Carts due in by 8pm!"

kevina001

The simple solution to all of this is to walk and carry. Golf carts are for the weak and legitimately infirm.

Although, I have had my car locked in the parking lot a time or two in my day. Had to walk home and retrieve the car in the morning.

These are the sacrifices we make to play this game.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

38 minutes ago, jholz said:

The simple solution to all of this is to walk and carry. Golf carts are for the weak and legitimately infirm.

Although, I have had my car locked in the parking lot a time or two in my day. Had to walk home and retrieve the car in the morning.

These are the sacrifices we make to play this game.

Absolutely! This also improve pace of play as it will eliminate all the current old people AND a lot of the future seniors whose backs will be trashed by 50 if not sooner.   Great Idea!

• Confused 1

My two playing partner on Tuesday and thursdays are 64 and 73 respectively. I’m 20 years younger than them and I can tell you their pace of play of walking is 1.20-1.30. Some of the best golfers I know are old guys walking. Most of the worst are the cart guys who think they’re better than they really are. They swing big and so are their scores. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Also if you look at some of the recent studies though it should be common sense. The more you walk the healthier your life will be in your older years. Walking will only prolong your life force and golf prowess. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

1 hour ago, jerebear21 said:

Highly doubt anyone paying twilight should expect to finish their round before sunset.  That’s why it’s discounted.  Even a 4pm tee time shouldn’t expect to finish.  

Sunset in Northern Nevada and Northern California is 8:30 and it doesn't get dark enough to not see your ball until after 9:00 PM in the summer. Don't assume everyone lives where you live. I have never not finished a late afternoon round in summer. Hell, I walked 18 last week tee'd off at 5 and was finished by 8. 

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Sunset in Northern Nevada and Northern California is 8:30 and it doesn't get dark enough to not see your ball until after 9:00 PM in the summer. Don't assume everyone lives where you live. I have never not finished a late afternoon round in summer. Hell, I walked 18 last week tee'd off at 5 and was finished by 8. 

you’re the one that’s assuming. Majority of cart golfers are the reason why golf rounds take so long. So respectfully disagree. Most golfers taking a cart out at 4pm shouldn’t expect to finish in a timely manner. If you’re in such a rush go play pickle ball or something. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

4 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

Also if you look at some of the recent studies though it should be common sense. The more you walk the healthier your life will be in your older years. Walking will only prolong your life force and golf prowess. 

LOL.

Walking in your older years (not carrying)? Sure, great active lifestyle choice.

Walking in your older years (carrying)? Better off gargling trans fats and smoking unfiltered Camels. 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, bcjim said:

LOL.

Walking in your older years (not carrying)? Sure, great active lifestyle choice.

Walking in your older years (carrying)? Better off gargling trans fats and smoking unfiltered Camels. 

they invented the push cart and electric push cart. It’s 2023. Not 1923. There’s also caddies available if you belong in a private walking clubs. Just like in 1923. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

10 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

80* here today. First real warm day and I close. We’ll have to have the ranger go out and bring people in tonight. 

My first day back rangering is next Monday.  I dread the thought after playing a couple days there recently while pushing a cart.  Should have put the seat on, so bloody slow.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I'm giggling, because I really like the silliness of this conversation. C'mon guys, this is golf, not rocket science.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

Working at a golf course will really change your perspective on this topic. I've been at one for 16 years now, part-time. When you think you've seen it all......you haven't.

To address a few recent comments in this thread....

If you enter the golf shop at 430 pm and the "carts are due in by 8:00 pm" sign is posted, you have a choice: 1) You can accept the return time and pay the twilight rate; 2) play 9 and be done way before 8:00 pm; or 3) you can leave.

Generally speaking, most courses have a twilight rate. This is a reduced rate because you are not guaranteed to finish all 18 holes. So to the poster who commented the afternoon rate should be discounted because players may not finish 18 holes before dark, there's your answer - it's already discounted. Again, your choice to play or not. Either accept the course rules or leave. 

If you pull up in the parking lot at 4:00-4:30 pm, and the carts are due in by 8:00 pm, and the parking lot is slam full of cars, you need to lower your expectations on playing 18 holes. There's nothing more annoying on a busy golf course than a "Moses" golfer who expects the seas of green to part for him so "HE" can finish his round. You know the one, he races from tee to green, stands in the fairway with hands on hips, takes numerous aggressive practice swings on the tee box, while waiting for the group in front to leave the fairway, or waiting for the green to clear.

I agree that if the course has a policy of a cart return time, players need to abide and respect the rule.

What I don't understand is why courses have this policy.  If I get seated late at a restaurant, the waiter is not going to pick up my plate with 4 bites left because he wants to go home.  Golf courses tend to forget that are in a service industry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

Generally speaking, most courses have a twilight rate. This is a reduced rate because you are not guaranteed to finish all 18 holes. So to the poster who commented the afternoon rate should be discounted because players may not finish 18 holes before dark, there's your answer - it's already discounted.

This point clearly seems to be lost by a number of posters in this thread.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, david.c.w said:

I agree that if the course has a policy of a cart return time, players need to abide and respect the rule.

What I don't understand is why courses have this policy.  If I get seated late at a restaurant, the waiter is not going to pick up my plate with 4 bites left because he wants to go home.  Golf courses tend to forget that are in a service industry. 

not all, but at certain restaurants the kitchen will be closed 30m-1 hour before the restaurant does.  You're more than welcome to hang out at the restaurant but you won't have food served. 

• Like 2

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Simple answer, just walk. Golf is WAY more fun that way and a much better way to enjoy golden hour than zipping through a course in a golf cart. Disclaimer: If you have a disability, that sucks, and I am sorry about that most people that I see at the golf course in carts look VERY able bodied to me and are just riding in carts because that is AMERICAN golf culture.

If you like riding in golf cart so you can drink beer and "relax" maybe just skip the golf and go to a bar maybe?

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

18 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

not all, but at certain restaurants the kitchen will be closed 30m-1 hour before the restaurant does.  You're more than welcome to hang out at the restaurant but you won't have food served. 

I helped manage a restaurant for three years. If we closed at 10 and someone came in at 945 expecting a full sit down meal with drinks - GTFO. At 945 we were pushing out the last takeout orders and the kids were cleaning the kitchen getting ready to go home.

Yet somehow I feel like there would be plenty of "seems fine to me" here if that situation was posed to them.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

The course knows when sunset is every single day.  The cart barn should be staffed appropriately to accommodate its customers during playable daylight.  Why close at 8:00 when you have customers that can reasonably use your product until 9:00?  

For the restaurant example, kitchen closing at 9:30 is not unreasonable, but closing it at 8:30 would not make sense as there people who want to eat between 8:30 and 9:30.  There are customers that want to use a cart up until dark.  

I just don't understand the philosophy of limiting services to customers.

• Like 1

The course knows when sunset is every single day.  The cart barn should be staffed appropriately to accommodate its customers during playable daylight.  Why close at 8:00 when you have customers that can reasonably use your product until 9:00?  

For the restaurant example, kitchen closing at 9:30 is not unreasonable, but closing it at 8:30 would not make sense as there people who want to eat between 8:30 and 9:30.  There are customers that want to use a cart up until dark.  

Because there has to be a closing time. 
Its not sun up to sun down. 
Whatever the closing time is, regardless of the reason, the course/business/restaurant is closed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd also ad many cart barn workers tend to be HS kids.

Many states have laws on total hours worked and how late they can work on school nights,

• Like 1

It’s a rather simple solution: if you don’t like the policy, vote with your feet. Times are communicated. Deal with it or don’t. If courses lose all their evening business because everyone agrees with you, they’ll change their policy. If those upset are just a few late evening whiners, I’m sure they’ll survive just fine. 

OR… get some investment partners and start your own course and stock it with carts that have headlights and stay open as late as you want. 

I’m guessing that these courses are here to make money and they’ve determined that it is financially advantageous to have carts in by 8.

I’ve never owned a course so I’m not going to just assume they hate golfers and want to ruin their rounds! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, david.c.w said:

The lights don’t go out at most restaurants at closing time. Imagine if a restaurant closed at 9:00pm and the lights went out at that time. How easy would it be to finish your meal and drinks in the dark? 

I will state again, as it has been said ad nauseam, playing golf in the dark can be dangerous and poses a liability for the golf course. Just imagine driving a cart into a bunker or water hazard because the driver can’t see where he’s going. How liable would the golf course become?

• Like 2

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

1 hour ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

The lights don’t go out at most restaurants at closing time. Imagine if a restaurant closed at 9:00pm and the lights went out at that time. How easy would it be to finish your meal and drinks in the dark? 

I will state again, as it has been said ad nauseam, playing golf in the dark can be dangerous and poses a liability for the golf course. Just imagine driving a cart into a bunker or water hazard because the driver can’t see where he’s going. How liable would the golf course become?

Not advocating for playing in the dark.  Advocating for playing while it is light.  Summer sunset here is after 9:00.

I don’t think it is unreasonable for a course to set a time to have carts in by 8:00 or whatever time they choose. The carts need to be cleaned and secured and already have long hours of operation in the summer. 

If you don’t like their decision, you can choose to go elsewhere that has extended hours. Or as has been mentioned, choose to walk instead. 

I have lived in the middle of a golf course for the past 12 years. We have 65 carts that need to be cleaned and prepared for the next day and that takes time. The same thing applies to the range. Our course expects carts in 30 minutes before sunset except on League nights which have additional staff to cover the increased demand in both the back shop and restaurant on those days. It makes economic sense. 

For most of the golf season, the staff leave the course more than an hour after sunset virtually every day. 

Edited by Hickory4ever