"Carts due in by 8pm!"

kevina001

8 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Not advocating for playing in the dark.  Advocating for playing while it is light.  Summer sunset here is after 9:00.

Fair point.

I suppose it really boils down to the right of any business to set its own hours. We don’t have to like it, but we should respect it. 

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

9 hours ago, bcjim said:

But it's likely few carts out at that point.  The whole fleet isn't out after 8. So what if they are there an hour after sunset? Lots of jobs are performed after sunset.  Have a couple of guys there until 10. Big deal. 

It is a big deal.

Again this is like walking into a restaurant and saying hey, have a couple guys stay an hour late *I'm* hungry.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

13 hours ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

The lights don’t go out at most restaurants at closing time. Imagine if a restaurant closed at 9:00pm and the lights went out at that time. How easy would it be to finish your meal and drinks in the dark? 

I will state again, as it has been said ad nauseam, playing golf in the dark can be dangerous and poses a liability for the golf course. Just imagine driving a cart into a bunker or water hazard because the driver can’t see where he’s going. How liable would the golf course become?

There are many reasons why a golf course has a certain time that carts are required to be returned.  I know a few courses that have strict times carts need to be returned because of accidents that happened due to darkness on their course. One course had both twosomes in a foursome drive their carts into a pond on 18 at one course. I recently played at another course that now has a posted return time for carts. When talking to the staffer he said the ranger had a group refuse to come in when the ranger told them it was getting dark and a twosome in the group rode down a ravine a few holes later. 

If you are someone that wants to go out late then abide by the course's policy or don't play. I personally allow 5 hrs. before the return cart time or I won't play. That is my buffer. I play a lot quicker than that but I can't expect everyone out there to play fast. I want to enjoy my round. I don't expect to play through groups on the course. I don't want to feel I may not get finished. I don't want to get worked up over a slow group holding me up and me thinking I am not going to get done by dark. Allowing myself more than enough time to play my round before dark is more relaxing to me then to be fighting against getting done by carts return time.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

I am not and never have been involved in the running of any business of any size. Strictly as a consumer I will say that "the customer is always right" is an idiotic way to expect the vast majority of businesses to operate and is a blight on our society.

Amen.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 4/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, david.c.w said:

I agree that if the course has a policy of a cart return time, players need to abide and respect the rule.

What I don't understand is why courses have this policy.  If I get seated late at a restaurant, the waiter is not going to pick up my plate with 4 bites left because he wants to go home.  Golf courses tend to forget that are in a service industry. 

Keeping with dining theme, they may refuse to serve after the kitchen staff is doing cleanup/prep for next day.  A lot of work to do after the carts come in.  Cleaning, fueling, charging etc.

21 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

It is a big deal.

Again this is like walking into a restaurant and saying hey, have a couple guys stay an hour late *I'm* hungry.

Correct!

Late tee time and pretty sure you won’t finish before the cart has to be back?  Play faster, or turn the cart in after 9 and walk the back. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 4/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, jerebear21 said:

you’re the one that’s assuming. Majority of cart golfers are the reason why golf rounds take so long. So respectfully disagree. Most golfers taking a cart out at 4pm shouldn’t expect to finish in a timely manner. If you’re in such a rush go play pickle ball or something. 

Hey My bad bro, I thought I was debating a rational individual. Obviously I was mistaken. 

4 hours ago, mshills said:

Correct!

Late tee time and pretty sure you won’t finish before the cart has to be back?  Play faster, or turn the cart in after 9 and walk the back. 

Don't sell carts after a certain time then. Carts in by 8, no more cart sales after 3:30. Trying to get that extra $15 charge without the full $15 dollars worth of cart usage could legally be construed as unethical business practices. Not sure why most of you don't understand that. The greens fees are discounted in the afternoon, not the cart fees. 

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hey My bad bro, I thought I was debating a rational individual. Obviously I was mistaken. 

I ain’t your bro brah. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

5 minutes ago, Naptime said:

While it may be annoying, not sure why it would be unethical if the policy is posted.  

Because you are taking an equal amount of money for a lesser service with a posted rate. Most courses have a base rate and then an added fee for the cart. The rate often changes based on the time of day. The cart fee doesn’t. 

to use everyone’s idiotic restaurant analogy, it would be like one person walking in 30 minutes before close and ordering a large of something on the menu and then you walking in 29 minutes and ordering the same thing only for the cashier to tell you that for the same price you only get a medium.

if your rates are posted publicly you have to offer the same service to everyone who is willing to pay the rate. The ethical practice would be to stop offering the service altogether at a certain time except in the case of ADA. 

47 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

to use everyone’s idiotic restaurant analogy, it would be like one person walking in 30 minutes before close and ordering a large of something on the menu and then you walking in 29 minutes and ordering the same thing only for the cashier to tell you that for the same price you only get a medium.

Actually your argument is that the large of something should cost less because you have less time to eat it in the restaurant...  🙄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Naptime said:

Time matters.  If someone buys a fixed price day pass at an amusement part but shows up at 11, they don't keep the rides open 3 hrs late to accommodate them.

That would be an argument if we were talking about the course closing, but in the OP's case the course is still open but carts are no told to be in early. Poor analogy. 

5 hours ago, CaseyC said:

Have you talked to the general manager of the course to get his reasoning?

Why would I? I'm not OP. 

5 hours ago, CaseyC said:

Actually your argument is that the large of something should cost less because you have less time to eat it in the restaurant...  🙄

No, it isn't. Don't try to change my argument to fit your narrative. My argument is that if you are charging the same price for a thing then the thing should be the same for everyone. Not sure why you are having a hard time understanding that concept. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

No, it isn't. Don't try to change my argument to fit your narrative. My argument is that if you are charging the same price for a thing then the thing should be the same for everyone. Not sure why you are having a hard time understanding that concept. 

Your argument is poor. 

Restaurants charge the same for take out as eat in.  Should they charge less for take out? or more for eat in?

What any business "should" do is what has been found is best for the business.  Will that please everyone?  no.  As has been pointed out, the customer is not always right.

One could argue they could charge more to offset the costs of extra overhead and employee costs for just a few people who want to keep the carts out longer.

When a round is shortened by weather, I don't know any course that pro-rates the rain checks by exactly how many holes have been played.  Got 16 holes in before thunder and rain, tough...

Should the course charge cart rates by how many holes are eventually played?  Should the person who get's 16 holes in pay the same as the person who only gets 15 1/2?

Edited by CaseyC
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Don't sell carts after a certain time then. Carts in by 8, no more cart sales after 3:30. Trying to get that extra $15 charge without the full $15 dollars worth of cart usage could legally be construed as unethical business practices. Not sure why most of you don't understand that. The greens fees are discounted in the afternoon, not the cart fees. 

So are you saying the course you play does not have a twilight rate? The rate for 18 holes is the same amount from open to close?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

On 4/13/2023 at 9:32 AM, Greenie said:

There are many reasons why a golf course has a certain time that carts are required to be returned.  I know a few courses that have strict times carts need to be returned because of accidents that happened due to darkness on their course. One course had both twosomes in a foursome drive their carts into a pond on 18 at one course. I recently played at another course that now has a posted return time for carts. When talking to the staffer he said the ranger had a group refuse to come in when the ranger told them it was getting dark and a twosome in the group rode down a ravine a few holes later. 

If you are someone that wants to go out late then abide by the course's policy or don't play. I personally allow 5 hrs. before the return cart time or I won't play. That is my buffer. I play a lot quicker than that but I can't expect everyone out there to play fast. I want to enjoy my round. I don't expect to play through groups on the course. I don't want to feel I may not get finished. I don't want to get worked up over a slow group holding me up and me thinking I am not going to get done by dark. Allowing myself more than enough time to play my round before dark is more relaxing to me then to be fighting against getting done by carts return time.

No doubt some of these numbn*ts sued the courses as well.  

At my course, there are some places where you literally can’t see anything on a moonless night.  Winding cart paths with steep inclines around ponds and through wooded areas make it simply too dangerous to send your one cart kid out on a rescue mission to find the missing carts. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your business. Not always exact, but pretty close to the reality. It's doubtful the people causing an issue around whatever the cart & course policies are happen to be in that 20%. I never see the regular twilight groups causing problems; they tend to push things as late as they can, which at some courses means they're putting out until the last sliver of light, but they'll call it before 9/18 if they need to. The course attendants are often there until after 9, but I've never seen them having to chase down regulars who aren't respecting requirements. It's 99% of the time others they're having to take carts out to get, even after sending messages on the display that it's time to come in.

What will be funny is one day in the future when carts can be automated to return to the barn after a warning has gone off. Have fun hoofing it back in to find your bag sitting by the clubhouse and the staff long gone if liability allows it.

As others said, it's no different than the expectations at a restaurant: you're able to partake until X time. If you choose to dine right before X time it's on you if you don't finish.

I'm not surprised the person arguing hardest against courses expecting adherence to their posted policies has a name that's for all intents and purposes a parasite or blight on the thing it clings to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarlLipbaum said:

Harbor Town Golf Links should have kicked Fitzpatrick and Spieth off the course after the first playoff hole so the staff had time to close up shop before dark.  

They were walking. Plus, I’m pretty sure they were done before 8.

Edited by caniac6

I just got back from Gatlinburg, stayed at Bent Creek Golf Village.  We checked in at 2:30.  Got unpacked, had a beer and headed down to the clubhouse at 3:55 to play 9 holes.  This is after the time change so it does not get dark until nearly 8:00.  We were told that they were on winter hours and we could not play either walking or cart.  We were not happy.  Never had that happen in 14 years of staying there.