2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Diamana ZF

autronicdsm

35 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I have a very aggressive transition and the ZF just didn't hold up to my hardest swings even with the head cranked all the way open.  With a normal swing it was good though.  I don't get how it works so well for JT who swings outta his shoe with driver. 

I hear you...maybe he has that TX tipped to aid, but he really isn't in the tops for accuracy anyway at 154th on tour. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Shafts are very personal equipment preferences for sure. I actually felt like my best drives were the most "violent" swings but I managed to not get stuck on the way down. Something I've been working on as someone who hits chronic blocks and used to hit violent hooks when my hands were super fast ~10 years ago. I came into the ZF after using the Atmos Black and Ventus Black for the past couple of seasons with pretty much the same miss pattern. 

For me, short/heavy with shaft tipping and a low loft head make a big difference. If the left miss becomes a bigger problem I'll likely go with a Stealth Plus in a higher loft and open the face up. The 8 degree SIM2 was great yesterday though. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

• 3 weeks later...

XC has a softer handle and stiffer mid. 

If you like blueboard profiles (mid-shaft hinge, bit of snap through impact) but wanted just a bit more stability, ZF is for you.

If (like me) all blueboard profiles feel too soft and give you the lefts, and instead of "snap through impact" you want "stability through impact with no lefts", then XC is for you.

2 very different profiles. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

3 hours ago, hagimihale said:

If you like blueboard profiles (mid-shaft hinge, bit of snap through impact) but wanted just a bit more stability, ZF is for you.

If (like me) all blueboard profiles feel too soft and give you the lefts, and instead of "snap through impact" you want "stability through impact with no lefts", then XC is for you.

Arent they fairly similar? Pretty much all Tour AD profiles are blueboard profile but with tweaks. It seems theyre similar shafts but with different butt sections according to the profiles?

Both are tip and mid stiff (ZF shares tip and mid from the DF) but the XC has a 'soft' butt and the ZF is stiff.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I get along with whiteboard profiles, but not blueboard profiles.  The XC works for me.  So does the GP, but no other Graphite Design shaft is a good fit (and I've tried many of them)

The ZF is a slightly stiffer blueboard profile.  Its close, and I could make it work if I had to, but would have to alter my swing to be much smoother to prevent the lefts.  Thus its not the right fit for me.

I'm not saying to NOT try the XC.  But if you're not hooking the ZF and wishing for something more stable, I wonder if other Graphite Design shafts (TP, HD?) are a better fit.

2 hours ago, hagimihale said:

I get along with whiteboard profiles, but not blueboard profiles.  The XC works for me.  So does the GP, but no other Graphite Design shaft is a good fit (and I've tried many of them)

The ZF is a slightly stiffer blueboard profile.  Its close, and I could make it work if I had to, but would have to alter my swing to be much smoother to prevent the lefts.  Thus its not the right fit for me.

I'm not saying to NOT try the XC.  But if you're not hooking the ZF and wishing for something more stable, I wonder if other Graphite Design shafts (TP, HD?) are a better fit.

I’m just looking for a few hundred RPM less in spin is all. I don’t like whiteboard profiles.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

21 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I’m just looking for a few hundred RPM less in spin is all. I don’t like whiteboard profiles.

I switched from the ZF to the AD HD and have been VERY happy. Very stable and no lefts for me. I have to trackman numbers, but visually looks lower spin on the course. I have gained some distance with the HD. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

XC will launch just a hair lower than the ZF and spin will be about the same.  XC had less feel for me when I tested it a couple years back when I went in for a driver fitting.  I don't think you'll like the XC since it's a true white board profile. 

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, hagimihale said:

It's funny because I like white board profile in driver and blue board for 3 metal like Tiger back in the day hence my setup.  I've tried blue board profile in driver and it just doesn't work when I step on one.  The ZF is unique in that it's way more stable than your typical blue board but spins less as well which works really well for me.  It's def a tweener.  I had the TB in my 3 metal and I would always lose it left to some degree depending on how hard I swung.  Had it in the bag for about 2 months last year and made the switch to the ZF.  Haven't looked back since.  Now, I am interested in testing the Kai'li Blue when it's release because it's supposed to have a flatter trajectory than the ZF according to @MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL.  I'll have to tip the s*** out of it though, lol.  

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

@phizzy30 I hear you on the whiteboard/driver + blueboard/fairway logic.  I have an 'ahina 80x in a TS2 18*; I like it but don't get enough launch off the deck.  But most blueboards are too loose for me.  Have been toying with the idea of a ZF in 80X (like you are gaming) as an option...

50 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I switched from the ZF to the AD HD and have been VERY happy. Very stable and no lefts for me. 

@third-times-a-charm, I agree with @OspreyCI's comments on the HD.  I think its a viable option if you want a "more stable blueboard" (which the ZF is) but want to lower spin.

The XC is the closest thing to a whiteboard profile that Graphite Design has. Which is why I like it, and why I don't think you will...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

@third-times-a-charm, I agree with @OspreyCI's comments on the HD.  I think its a viable option if you want a "more stable blueboard" (which the ZF is) but want to lower spin.

The XC is the closest thing to a whiteboard profile that Graphite Design has. Which is why I like it, and why I don't think you will...

I have the HD in my fairway and find that it spins more than the ZF or at least on par with it.

it’s weird the XC is compared to the whiteboard when it has none of the stiffness bumps in the EI profile as the whiteboard does 

• Like 1

Its probably the softer handle, and I think it has the stiffest mid of any Graphite Design shaft.  I've hit a lot of GD shafts, and this is the closest to a whiteboard that they have.  This and the GP are the only GD shafts that work for me.

Meanwhile, I have all of the following in my garage (or my gamer bag) at the moment: Diamana 'ahina, Diamana W-series, Diamana DF, Tensei Pro White and Tensei Pro White 1K. All work for me.  

Not to turn this into a whiteboard thread instead of a ZF thread, but every time I have ever heard someone talk about a GDI shaft they say 'theyre all the same blueboard profile with minor tweaks'. If you ask about blueboard vs whiteboard people say 'theyre different'. 

So which is it lol

Here's what another website says the profile is like within the GDI line:

tourad_xc_S3EIprofile2.jpg.png

Here's something that @Valtiel posted when Rory was testing the XC shaft:

792939734_ScreenShot2021-08-30at2_31_01P

The XC is the same profile as the BB, and here that is (in blue) compared to the KK XT that Rory was playing before. They certainly aren't worlds apart, but the XT is noticeably stiffer in the mid and softer in the handle.

And here's Mitsubishi's internal overlay vs 4th gen shafts showing the ZF follows a liner layup like the DF but with a firmer butt and slightly softer tip and mid, but still a firmer tip and mid than the blue, aka an AD XC having a firmer tip and mid than THEIR normal blues:

Diamana_BF-RF-DF-ZF_r1v201806-3-01v2.jpg

And just for good measure here's 'whiteboard profiles' showing their squiggly-ness stiffness bumps aka nowhere near a blueboard:

MRC-Diamana-3Gens.png?ssl=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay since no one commented on my investigative report above I'll give my opinion since I just got back from the range.

The AD XC is not low spin nor is it anything like a whiteboard. More like a blueboard with a soft handle and a small stiffness bump in the mid with the same tip stiffness.

I am by no means a fast swinger and the ADXC is more than playable and has lots of feel.

Unfortunately for the ZF it just beat it out during this range session. I'm going to take it out on the course and see how it feels on the back 9 but so far the XC is the only thing I've found that has beat out the ZF this year.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My ZF has been sent to the bench for the Ventus Blue TR in 6X. The shaft has really minimized my misses and can go full bore at the ball with a bit more confidence then I could with the ZF. Could be honeymoon phase, but I love the TR right now.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, BDowning said:

My ZF has been sent to the bench for the Ventus Blue TR in 6X. The shaft has really minimized my misses and can go full bore at the ball with a bit more confidence then I could with the ZF. Could be honeymoon phase, but I love the TR right now.

Ventus TR was a bit more anti-left for me than the ZF, but I love how the ZF feels coming off the face whereas the TR had less feel to it.  It was neck and neck in terms of performance so I decided to stick with the ZF........for the time being.  I can't wait until the Kai'li Blue is released.  Will do extensive testing for my 3 metal. 

• 1 month later...

Finally played 9 over the weekend for the first time in a couple months. The ZF picked up right where I left off, it's made the driver just so much fun to hit. It seems to really jive well with the Stealth Plus head. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

is the ZF similar to the 1k white

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Not for me. Little lower ball flight and much tighter dispersion with the 1k for me. Much more consistent than than the ZF. I really tried to like the ZF and I hit some bombs with it but just not as consistent as the 1k. For me. 

• Like 1

Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with Tensei 1k White 50s, Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Mizuno 223 PX 5.5IO PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 4.0 index

12 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

No.  The ZF is great for me in 3 metal as I need the higher launch with low spin.  It wasn't very stable for me in driver and I would lose it hard left if I swung more than 80%.  1K can hold up better on hard swings but can still be prone to the lefts.  The only thing they share is feel where they are both very smooth.  1K will feel very linear whereas the ZF will have a tiny bit of kick to it at the bottom. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

could anyone compare the ZF to the Speeder Evo VII ? sounds like they should have similar profiles with the stiffer handles and tips sandwiching a softer midsection. Any comparisons on feel, balance point, etc?

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

@phizzy30, testing a ZF 70TX in a TSi2 16.5*...

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, phizzy30 said:

I have the 60TX in my bag and have tested the XC in both 60 and 70 gram range when I went in for my driver fitting awhile back.  ZF seems to launch slightly higher but still retains low spin like the XC.  ZF also has some kick to it whereas the XC felt more linear to me.  As a result, the ZF had more feel to it. 

100% agree with this take. I tested both as well and had same experience. ZF is staying in the bag for a long time.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9 degree w/ Rogue Aldila Silver 125 MSI 60 TX 

3 Wood - Taylormade Stealth+ (tour issue) 15 degree w/ Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex UW 19 degree w/ Ventus Blue 9X

4 Iron - Titleist U500 w/ MMT UT 125 TX

5-PW - Muira CB-801 w/ Dynamic Gold X7's

51 Degree - Titleist Vokey SM 9 51 degree 12F grind 

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey SM 9 56 degree 12D grind

60 Degree - Titleist Vokey SM 9 60 degree T grind 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X5 w/ custom welded long neck, Stability Tour Black, Super Stroke Wrist Lock (red/white)

Wonder if the ZF is going to be similar to the kaali blue which also seems to have characteristics of the blue and white?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Just now, ob1soccer said:

Wonder if the ZF is going to be similar to the kaali blue which also seems to have characteristics of the blue and white?

I was told that the KB will launch a little lower but spin more than the ZF.  The bend points are also different where the KB is high while the ZF is mid/high.  The ZF is stiff, soft/firm, stiff while the KB is supposed to be firm, stiff, stiff in terms of EI profile. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went back to the OG whiteboard 63x in a 5w, seem like a ZF50 tx could be the magic sauce for my driver

interesting to see XC talk here as well 

not many modern shafts seem to offer the feel / stability combo of the OG white and blues

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 4 weeks later...

Keeping this thread alive with the release of the GT- Diamana generations don't change all that much but it could be nice to see some comparisons with the ZF. 

My ZF/BF combo in driver and 3w is still going very well on the baby-limited season, but with the extra rest I've found that some of my old speed has returned. The ZF doesn't balloon on me but it does seem to have a wider shot spread without much change in my swing. I bought a DF 70TX to compare to see if it's any bit of an upgrade over the ZF in the driver (which I intend to keep as the new standard shaft for me). 

In the past I hated WB type profiles but in those days I had a super long swing with excessive wrist hinge. Now that my hands are much less involved in the swing I think I might prefer the softer handle feeling in the DF, as a long time Dynamic Gold guy. 

• Like 2

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX