2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

12 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Village Links of GE Wednesday Wagglers league starts this afternoon. My first time doing it, sounds fun so I'm looking forward to it.

So I thought my buddy (pretty sure he did) told me the Wednesday Wagglers league was a men’s league… I was wrong. I joined as a single and my crew through August is 3 mid- 50’s women. Was actually a very relaxing round. They’re just out there to have a good time. They enjoy some drinks and the group does Fireball shots for birdies! 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

My boss recognized Teacher Appreciation Week by giving us all a half day today. As a result I was able to play Stonewall Orchard this afternoon and Bear joined. I realize pretty much every course is playing firm with the current drought but Stonewall was as slippery as I've seen it. The greens, which get a little chewed as the season wears on, were in phenomenal shape and the $44 post-2:30 twilight rate is a great value. I'll gladly spend the extra $5 rather than wait until 4:00 for their regular weekday twilight. Then again, I'm usually not available to play on weekdays until after 4:00. But I digress. 

We played the front in 80 minutes but waited on every shot on the back nine. My ball striking was pretty solid and I've got my driver figured out after some horrid swings with it the last couple of rounds. My grip was getting way too strong but once I recognized that, it was a pretty easy fix. 76. On Friday I've got another half day to close out the week but have to go into work. That means I'll be playing the Stonewall Orchard of the South Side. I speak, of course, of Jackson Park.  

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

8 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

My boss recognized Teacher Appreciation Week by giving us all a half day today. As a result I was able to play Stonewall Orchard this afternoon and Bear joined. I realize pretty much every course is playing firm with the current drought but Stonewall was as slippery as I've seen it. The greens, which get a little chewed as the season wears on, were in phenomenal shape and the $44 post-2:30 twilight rate is a great value. I'll gladly spend the extra $5 rather than wait until 4:00 for their regular weekday twilight. Then again, I'm usually not available to play on weekdays until after 4:00. But I digress. 

We played the front in 80 minutes but waited on every shot on the back nine. My ball striking was pretty solid and I've got my driver figured out after some horrid swings with it the last couple of rounds. My grip was getting way too strong but once I recognized that, it was a pretty easy fix. 76. On Friday I've got another half day to close out the week but have to go into work. That means I'll be playing the Stonewall Orchard of the South Side. I speak, of course, of Jackson Park.  

Lol. I know I have a soft spot for (Stonewall) Jackson Park, but it would be so cool if they actually managed to go ahead with the renovation? An actual course less than 10 miles from downtown? 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I’m not holding my breath waiting for the JP renovation to actually happen. I’m getting major 1992 Chicago World’s Fair vibes with that project. The ’92 Fair received a ton of support from Jane Byrne but once Harold Washington took over it died a very quick death. However, it accomplished its long-term goal of rejuvenating the South Loop and rectifying the brutal 90 degree turn on Lake Shore Drive so that we now have the current S curve around Navy Pier. Now if only we could convince C-DOT to get rid of the light at Chicago Avenue. But I digress. The JP renovation was proposed under Rahm’s administration but thus far Lori has made no mention of it. I’m sure if it happened it would also lead to Woodlawn and South Shore eventually looking more like Hyde Park in terms of demographics and median household income. However, I think it will take a new mayoral administration.

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

16 hours ago, Woodridge said:

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par 3 course allows him to enjoy the game and have some success. He actually had a 40 yard hole-out last year for a 2. Today was a perfect day to play and the course almost empty when we teed off. I've taken to paying for a 4 some even though there's just the 2 of us because the staff is adamant about pairing people up. My boy has some social issues and refuses to play unless it's just he and I. 

Anyway, the course is in good shape. The longest hole might be 140, so it's hardly a test for good players. I took my hickories as I need some practice with them. I actually had one of my better lag putting rounds using a wooden shafted/wooden headed putter. We took our time and had an enjoyable day.  I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of there way to go there, but it's a Par 3 course option for those looking for one.

ZT is the site of my first (and to this point, only) hole-in-one, last year. 3rd hole, which I think was 125yds - a PW to the left half of the green, hit the side of the little mound in the green and took a sharp bounce to the right and rolled a few more feet into the cup. 

Figures my lone HIO would come on a par-3, nine-hole course, but it was witnessed by my two sons, so that made it more special than anything I could ask for. I'll always have a soft spot for Zigfield Troy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Woodridge said:

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par 3 course allows him to enjoy the game and have some success. He actually had a 40 yard hole-out last year for a 2. Today was a perfect day to play and the course almost empty when we teed off. I've taken to paying for a 4 some even though there's just the 2 of us because the staff is adamant about pairing people up. My boy has some social issues and refuses to play unless it's just he and I. 

Anyway, the course is in good shape. The longest hole might be 140, so it's hardly a test for good players. I took my hickories as I need some practice with them. I actually had one of my better lag putting rounds using a wooden shafted/wooden headed putter. We took our time and had an enjoyable day.  I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of there way to go there, but it's a Par 3 course option for those looking for one.

That's great. I played ZT quite a bit as a kid as a friend lived down the street, spend the whole day hitting balls and playing it a couple of times. If it were closer to where I live it would be a go to for sure with my kids.

• Like 2

As LD mentioned, Stonewall was in terrific shape. I have seen the greens run faster there, but not sure I've seen them run as smooth.

With the nice weather yesterday, the round was just a real treat. I even played #18 well, haha. 

I now live 10 minutes away from Stonewall, so I got to figure out how to arrange the work schedule to get in some more Stonewall weekday twilight rounds, lol.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

3 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

As LD mentioned, Stonewall was in terrific shape. I have seen the greens run faster there, but not sure I've seen them run as smooth.

With the nice weather yesterday, the round was just a real treat. I even played #18 well, haha. 

I now live 10 minutes away from Stonewall, so I got to figure out how to arrange the work schedule to get in some more Stonewall weekday twilight rounds, lol.

Lucky you!  I think that is one of the top public courses we have in IL.  Always a treat (and a challenge) to play there...

Is Chicago turning into Phoenix? What's with all the courses that aren't offering walking rates, or offering a limited number of slots for walkers? F them. Wide open tee sheets with riding only rates. Guess my money isn't green enough.

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

13 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Is Chicago turning into Phoenix? What's with all the courses that aren't offering walking rates, or offering a limited number of slots for walkers? F them. Wide open tee sheets with riding only rates. Guess my money isn't green enough.

... Ha, I don’t know if you have spent time here in the “off season” but the winter folks have gone back home and with temps in the triple digits and climbing most courses will let you play anyway you want. Already Aguila has the first Twilight time wide open and my last 2 rounds booked at 2pm I played alone, something unheard of in winter. This is my first summer in Phoenix and it is starting to look like a ghost town. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ha, I don’t know if you have spent time here in the “off season” but the winter folks have gone back home and with temps in the triple digits and climbing most courses will let you play anyway you want. Already Aguila has the first Twilight time wide open and my last 2 rounds booked at 2pm I played alone, something unheard of in winter. This is my first summer in Phoenix and it is starting to look like a ghost town. 

All but a few courses in Phoenix allow walking, even in the winter, but they still charge for a cart. The munis and a handful of courses have a walking rate. I can't imagine there are a lot of walkers during the summer unless they tee off at 6 am. Lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

What courses?

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

2 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

What courses?

Harborside and Lost Marsh have been riding rate only forever. Willow Crest is currently riding only, as is Deerpath and George Dunne. Roughly half of Ravisloe's times are riding only rates.

Beautiful morning at Glencoe. A little brisk, but the sun felt great. The course is in fantastic shape. Fairways were cut, including a first cut of rough. The rough was a little thick, which definitely added a penal element. Bunkers were fine, although the left greenside bunker on the 18th could use a little more sand. Greens had a hint of brown, and were rolling at least 11. I'd say a perfect speed. Pace was not an issue. I went out as a single again, and while there were a handful of early birds out there, including a threesome, I never ran into any of them in 2:45. Sweet.

Ugh. I guess I'll be hitting Jackson Park again next week to work on the wedges. Sheesh. Complete dog doo doo. I had a wedge in my hand on 7 of the first 9 holes, and only managed a green in regulation on the 9th. The back was just as bad, missing 3 out of 4 greens with a wedge. Luckily my chipping was decent, otherwise the final score would have been a disaster. Didn't give myself a single good look at birdie. 

Next week is looking good. Cool, but no rain in the forecast.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, TheBear95 said:

I know it was 2020, but they were slammed last year at twilight.  Even Friday nights were packed.  Hopefully that changes.

Welcome to the area, btw.    

Edited by St Jimmy

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

My principal decided to let us work remotely yesterday so I was able to audible from JP to something better. I looked at the tee sheets and decided it would be a good idea to play a mentally exhausting round at Whitehawk. It was worth the brutal traffic on the way back. The conditions were phenomenal and the greens were rolling at around 10.5 or 11. I’ve gotten used to drought rough but there’s was much thicker than expected. With the wind and firm fairways I alternately felt like a pro (got to the green in 2 with a driver and a 5 iron on the 525-yard par 5 4th on Grey) and a beginner (the third hole on Silver chewed me up). I had a great look at birdie on 8 Silver (a monstrous par 5 that was downwind) but burned the edge. That hole is usually a guaranteed bogey. It feels good to have my driver swing back. 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

I haven't played either before.  

Prairie looks more dramatic from the road. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

15 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

I prefer Prarie landing, but will probably be in the minority. More of a I hate that we can be in a 3 week drought and I'll still get mud balls there. It drives me crazy how much they water. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

Tough call. Both have their pluses and minuses. PL has a great practice facility, including two short par 4 practice holes. Great for a pre round warm-up.

Mounding produces tougher lies on PL. 

I'd give the nod to Prairie Landing, but you'd have a good time at either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

Prairie Landing

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

... I have only played HOE 3 times but it was water logged everyone of them. That said, I would still choose Prairie Landing. That 2 hole warm up area is just ingenious. Sometimes you have the 2 holes to yourself and it is an awesome warm up before playing as you get to do everything LIVE. Hit some tee shots, approach shots, chips and pitches and putting on a real hole with your ball, not range balls. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I know it was 2020, but they were slammed last year at twilight.  Even Friday nights were packed.  Hopefully that changes.

Welcome to the area, btw.    

Thanks! 

So far, it is definitely less crazy this spring than I anticipated. I played Midlane this afternoon. While never the busiest of courses, I played thru a foursome on #5, then did not see a soul the rest of the round. And, weather was not that bad. A little cool for the season, but very playable.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Big fan of both Prairie Landing and HoE, that's a tough call, play both of them:)

Ravisloe yesterday.  Ravi's one of my favorites, unfortunately, I don't get there as much as I used to.  As discussed, every local course is more dried out than usual for this time of year, however, I thought Ravisloe's conditions are below the competition,  While the greens were nice, there're dandelions everywhere, lots of concrete like bare patches in the fairways and around the greens.   

I went to Sand Valley last weekend, If you haven't been, I highly recommend it.  This was my 5th or 6th visit, I like it more each time.  Both Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes are spectacular and The Sand Box is a blast.  Drive isn't bad either, 3.5 hrs door to door.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 9:46 AM, St Jimmy said:

Poll for the board:

HoE or Prairie Landing?

They’re both really good courses but I’d say Landing. HOE doesn’t really have any bad holes whereas Landing has one (the first hole is dumb) but overall Landing makes me think a little more, particularly off the tee. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Cool and wet morning at Coyote Run. Luckily the winds were quite light, and the rain just missed to the north. I don't recall seeing the course this wet recently. Many steps in the fairways brought water to the surface. I was chatting with one of the grounds crew, and she said that they received over 3 inches of rain yesterday, which forced them to close. That's quite rare for the course. As wet as it was, it was still very playable, although it was playing very long with little rollout in the fairways. The crew was in the process of grooming the bunkers, so I got freshly raked sand on all but the final few holes. The greens were damp, but still rolling at least 10. 'Can't wait for them to dry out. They still have a nice brown sheen to them. Still can't figure out why players refuse to fix ballmarks. I could possibly see a mark at the bottom of the green, but ones less than 10 feet from the cup? Ridiculous. Pace was excellent. I was the 2nd one out as a single again, and after playing through an early foursome on the third hole it was wide open. Heck, there were probably four cars in the parking lot when I finished. Looks like the threat of rain scared away the crowds.

Tough day for scoring. Drives were going nowhere, so it was a few more clubs into most greens. No birdies today. The wedges continue to confound me. A little better than last week, but still poor. I managed only 2 out of five greens with a wedge in hand. Pffftttt.

Anyone have any ideas of good practice area / ranges that are open up 'late'. Seems like all grass hitting areas are closing around 7pm with no chance of me making it out to one.

Located in South Elgin and Highlands of Elgin closes 45min prior to sunset (more than likely sooner as it was fully closed last time I tried) and then St Andrews is mats only after 7pm it seems.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, wasd said:

Anyone have any ideas of good practice area / ranges that are open up 'late'. Seems like all grass hitting areas are closing around 7pm with no chance of me making it out to one.

Located in South Elgin and Highlands of Elgin closes 45min prior to sunset (more than likely sooner as it was fully closed last time I tried) and then St Andrews is mats only after 7pm it seems.

Thanks

Green Valley in Hanover Park? It's open until 10 pm, and I believe it has grass hitting stations.

St Andrews in West Chicago?

1 hour ago, wasd said:

Thanks

I know Fresh Meadows range is open late, but not this early in the season. Their website says 8am-10pm right now but don't expect somebody to be there. I know for sure I've been out there past 9pm in the middle of summer for sure, and has both grass and mats. Grass tends to get really chewed up though, not sure if that's different lately since the office buildings across the street haven't been fully occupied.

Our group played an event at Foxford on Saturday. After the 5 hour round with 3 groups on several tee boxes, I remembered why that drive is always dreaded. We chatted with the starter a bit and asked about the pace of play.  He literally said they don't think about it and because there are no rangers on the course, there's nothing they're going to do about it.

The greens were confusing to say the least.  The practice green rolled at a decently quick pace considering the moisture from the frost delay but out on the course some greens were fast and others, painfully slow. Not sure that anyone in our group made a putt over 10 feet which is sad. 

Definitely hit a once in a lifetime shot on Saturday, but not the "bring you back" kind.  On the par 3 14th playing from the golds, I tried to flight an iron into the wind but flighted it SO low that it hit a tee marker a few boxes up and came ricocheting back toward the tee box ending up in a place where they never intend you to play from. Whatever. Solid double and move on.

We going to Green Gardens this Saturday and I've been warned about not course shaming. The 115 slope and 69.5 CR (they're not a CDGA course) suggest a less than challenging course.  Anyone know if the range is on the property or is it across the street?