2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DeChambeau Up 25 Lbs

Holy Moses

Lifting does nothing for these guys except make them think they can get more chicks.

Here, this guy, stringbean, 6', 125 pounds. Foley said when he met him he was 14 years old and hit a 4i 230 yards. Now....

Average drive. 436 yards ; )

He look like he's spending time in the squat rack? Now he will probably lift so he looks buff on camera though.

ZX3XNMMY60OE.png

Yeah but when you're a tour guy, you're not going to gain much speed with proper sequencing. Those guys sequence better than us amateurs will ever do. Bryson gained a ton of speed, but it looks like it'll take some time for him to reign in all that new power. Looks like we need some more tournaments to see his yardage increases as he's hitting it further but actually dropped in the rankings. Not sure if it's early season and young guns bombing it more, or the courses are rolling out further. But last year he was 305 and now he's at 317. He was never a short hitter.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

FWIW the 313 or 317 BDC is averaging this wrap around season off the tee (depending on what stat you look at) was accomplished before he decided to bulk up. He started his training/weight gain after the Las Vegas event this fall. The events he played this fall were firm/fast conditions. He has not played an official event since. Las Vegas DeChambeau reveals plan to bulk up

MP4YPQJRUO2P.jpg

• Like 1

He's probably right. Remember, the guys on tour already hit the ball a ton or else they wouldn't be on tour. Plus, how many guys on tour never lifted a weight prior to joining the tour?

I have no doubt lifting weights is beneficial for golfers. I still swing in the 115 range and I'm 48 years old and 5'5". I sincerely doubt I could still do that without having trained 4-5 times a week for the past 35+ years.

Yeah I figured something was weird but that's all I got LOL. They didn't even measure stuff at Hero or recorded it for some reason. Guess it's cuz it's not a PGA official event? Can't wait to see him mash balls with Champ. Difference is Brooks actually seems like he takes some off to keep things in control. But if he is getting 120+ CHS, he's going to learn the pain of Champ and Finau. I'm not sure he can be consistent with that speed. But everyone is different. It's a delicate balance I think. In fact his strokes gained off the tee wasn't far behind Brooks. He was also only averaging a few yards less (like 7 yards). Let's see how this plays out. I applaud him for trying this, as it took a lot of commitment to bulk up, and courage to change his game which will take some time for him to adjust as well. He's got a 13 mil in gross earnings already, so he's got a little house money to play with. I'm thinking he's gunning for greatest ever, not just another really good PGA pro.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

There are 2 other threads (I think one got closed) where licc was given several tour players that through either direct quotes from the player or their coach stated lifting increased distance as well as several studies that showed the same. He refuses to accept this and uses a flawed stat to argue his point.

It’s a stat taking in two holes and is based on total distance which is course dependent and weather dependent. It’s also an average of 2 drives per course. If. A player changes their schedule along with the change in venues for 3/4 majors the stat changes. Too many variables to make it any good for basing whether or not someone gained distance. But you keep holding onto that while ignoring actual evidence and direct info from tour players and members here. And again I’m done with you on this subject

Here are my thoughts on all of this which I have posted elsewhere before. Choose to be opened minded or deny it all you want but I have first hand experience of this and this has been explored at length both scientifically and by PGA pro's and trainers.

An average golfer can stand to gain speed and distance through the following methods and in the order I think is most likely.

1) Technique/efficiency improvements to their swing.

2) Improving contact/launch conditions

3) Speed training (teaching your body to fire fast, improving sequence and muscle response time, practicing swinging faster and faster at the range to learn to get speed but also control it)

4) Improving flexibility (this might be more important and perhaps number 1 for people with poor flexibility)

5) Golf specific weight training/exercises (this I view as a way to reach both a higher limit, and also just be able to swing at a speed you could once achieve but now doing more easily without hurting your body, usually you also gain a new upper limit of speed and therefore potential distance).

An average PGA pro can stand to gain speed generally only through the following methods.

1) Speed training (with things like Super Speed Golf)

2) Golf Specific weight training.

Most tour pro's have very efficient swings. Sure you can tweak it, or get longer which some players do to get speed I am sure but if you read the studies, if you read the interviews, if you research what these golf fitness places do and why, and most of all if you try it yourself you will come to understand how all of this works.

Even the longest tour players can get longer if they wanted, it takes a very specific weight training program/golf specific program to achieve what you want. The results can be very significant but it can also be detrimental to your game.

As I have stated several times in these threads, I have personally achieved at least 20 mph of increased club speed just by wailing on 100s golf balls at the range as hard as I could 2 to 3 times a week for a few years . I 100% got stronger from it, I got faster muscle reactions and I simultaneously improved my swing technique, which before was very not athletic. I gained flexibility, and gained golf strength. Today I have completely plateaued and have achieved all I can achieve from this method of training. This could be called a form of strength training because I definitely got stronger, and it is definitely a workout.

I am 100% certain I can up my ceiling higher if I take the time to do golf specific weight training. I don't need to get "bigger" like Bryson is pursuing, I need to get "stronger". I have pinpointed my weak areas that I know I need to improve. My legs are my biggest weakness, next I would say my hand strength is needing improvement, and my forearms. My core feels like my strongest area but with my current swing speed, I could stand to add some strength there for injury prevention (my back).

I have read and watch many long drive pro work outs and watch several guys go from nobodies on the LD tour to top dogs. They did it through practice, gym routines and speed training. If you want to swing it faster, you need to have the body that can adequately apply the force needed and also have the body that can do it over and over again on tour.

Yes, many tour players are physically fit and already training. Yes, some are more genetically gifted than others and have a higher ceiling with less effort to achieve it distance wise. Those that don't, can push their bodies to higher limits in various ways to get a leg up on the competition. One of the most prominent ways today is golf specific weight training/speed training. Yes even a tour pro can find a new level of performance.

I will reiterate one more thing. Just because a tour pro does this fitness, doesn't always mean you will see their driving average go up a ton. In fact, it often times might be statistically hard to verify due to course mix, weather etc etc. In my opinion, the best way to see the improvement is to look at ball speed numbers. Their max ball speed will be higher than years before. Average ball speed should generally be higher too, but it might not. Yes these guys obtain more distance potential from their strength training generally, but they don't always apply it. They might just want it for par 5s and that might be the only time they unleash the kraken so to speak.

This is all my opinion, but opinion that has been developed through my obsession with this stuff. I used to aspire to be a LD competitor until I got married and we had kids. So I was researching all of this to see what it would take for me to be competitive and I was trying to understand what my realistic gains would be from weight training etc. I am not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the other night so there is that.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

You can't point to any Tour pro that has significantly increased distance due to weight training. Zero. None.

Tour pros have increased distance individually due to swing changes, and generally due to equipment technology advances. As a general matter, it is the equipment changes that are the predominant factor in increased distance over the last 20-30 years. Not more players lifting weights.

I will play your game one time in this thread, mostly for others to see because I know you think your poop don't stink. Several players have been pointed out to you but you dismiss them as swing changes that did everything. You don't see the flaw that is looking at average driving distance. You tend to manipulate your stance and move the goal post as has been pointed out to you dozens of times in this and other threads. It has also been pointed out that yes, a large amount of distance gains in the past 20 to 30 years is a result of improved equipment and understanding of how to get the most distance (ideal launch conditions of the golf ball, spin, speed, vla for instance). The point myself and others are trying to make, is there is also a significant amount of distance being gained by players physically going after speed by strengthening their bodies. You cannot say the average tour pro did that back in the day.

It is a fact that proper strength training, speed training (a form of strength training) and golf fitness in general is much, much more popular today vs 30 years ago. Therefore, it is extremely reasonable to believe that a significant amount of distance produced from tour pro's today comes from exactly that. If Jack did the stuff players are doing today, who knows how long he would be when combined with today's equipment. He might have had the physical gifts to be able to get to touch Joe Miller/Kyle Berkshire type speeds when he wanted.

Anyways, that is the last time I address you in this thread, and again, I did so to hopefully clarify to others where you stand and how you behave when presented with counter arguments that contradict your stance.

I am going to sit back and watch you infect this thread again with your annoying repeat of "Name three Tour players who significantly increased distance from weightlifting compared to their distance before weightlifting."

Swing hard in case you hit it!

You make numerous conclusory statements without factual basis to support them. These are your speculations. You have a passionate belief in your speculations, but that is not evidence to support your claims. The actual facts, the concrete, measurable facts, show that weightlifting has done nothing material to increase distance on the Tour.