DeChambeau Up 25 Lbs

Holy Moses

Ahh  … no. That is a theoretical approach and it is incorrect. I said basic physics shows that small increases to mass does not equate to large increases in distance. You quoted numbers saying 20g of added club weight will yield 5-6 yards of carry distance. You will have to show me your calculations - I do not want to come across as a know-it-all engineer. Calculate the delta in Force with an incremental 20g of mass and then show the effect on ball speed.

Assume:

Bryson clubhead speed of 120mph (fast - but he's massive now)Both the 200g and 220g clubhead have same COR (.83) as max allowedAcceleration constant - i.e no slowing of clubhead upon contact with ball in both cases.Please use these assumptions and show me an increase of 5-6 yards of carry distance all other factors the same.

Thank-you

He pulled his example from a 10 year-old Trackman newsletter discussing smash factor. The anecdotal example in the newsletter was that tour drivers are sometimes slightly heavier than 200g, which would increase the smash factor if the player had the same impact conditions, including clubhead speed. The real-world problem with that assumption is that speed usually drops off as mass increases. The point of the comment in the newsletter was that lower swing speed can produce better impact conditions and therefore more distance, since ball speed can be slightly higher.

He just took the percentage of the difference from the smash factor and multiplied by a rule-of-thumb that 1 mph of speed equals 2 yards of carry.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2.412 lbf @ 200

2.653 lbf @ 220

how many lbf for a yard who knows but pretty odd to say that more force will not make an object go further all other things being equal .. take it up with Newton I guess

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

How is the theoretical approach not relevant, when we are discussing a 100% theoretical situation where 1 player is swinging a heavier club at the same exact speed? And how can you say I am incorrect when you have yet to prove me otherwise? And why are asking me to calculate force when that is not required to show the ball speed difference, which is the easiest thing to measure and correlate to distance increase? Doesn't basic conservation of momentum/energy tell us that the final velocity of a ball struck at rest is dependent on the velocity and mass of the object striking it?

Many people think smash factor is simply the ratio between CHS and ball speed, which is very very close to the truth and what LMs measure. But when TM spits out 1.51 we all know (well, perhaps not all) that isn't a real because it's physically impossible based on the physics, and thus those numbers come from how TM measures/calculates CHS (they assume the center of the face). And I am sure plenty of people have tried to increase smash factor and thus asked the question, what is the real upper limit? Well that upper limit can absolutely be calculated and is the only real relevant thing in this theoretical discussion where all else is being held constant

The equation for max achievable smash factor is derived from the equation for a real-world inelastic collision (which impact between the club and ball essential is, with a known COR) and thus is dependent on head weight, ball weight, COR, and spin loft. I calculated the two max achievable smash factors, assuming equal strikes, equal speed, the 220g head will give you ~3mph of extra ball speed (3.12 to be exact, I rounded down). I already calculated the 2 max achievable smash factors, surely you can punch those into your calculator, multiply by 120, and subtract the two to verify for yourself. For driver, ~1.6-1.7 yards per mph of ball speed is the expected extra carry. If you don't believe me, you can punch in the launch conditions into flightscope's optimizer.

Trackman has a newsletter on all of this, fully detailed, very informational. You can find and read it yourself if you desire, but I am not going to spell it out any further for you.

100% Agree with you here in terms of real world application, there is absolutely an area of diminishing returns in terms of speed decrease vs increasing head weight. But modern CB shafts have shown the math to be true, where one can increase head-weight without sacrificing CHS, and thus gain extra ball speed. Assuming a big brawny guy could swing a 220g head at 120mph he absolutely would hit the ball a bit further all else being the same, the physics is all there, so I would not say the example is anecdotal. The same can be said about going the other way, making the head so light in an attempt to increase speed (or shaft length), while smash factor drops.

Yeah that is essentially the same formula trackman uses for theoretical max smash,, only difference is trackman uses spinloft vs dynamic loft and just assumes a perfect strike (a given for theoretical max SF). So 10% more of head weight gives you 1.7% more ball speed, not a huge amount but also not negligible.

That's weird I have also seen people say mass doesn't matter Also, if you increase the head weight 10% but don't swing it any slower, that's also weird. I know it's easier for comparison, but I'm guessing a golfer can also swing it 1.7% faster probably or more?

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Yeah he looks like he gained a tremendous amount of fat. I'm not sure if he said it or the media just misquoted but the 25lbs of muscle in a few months statement is just reckless. He might have added 2 lbs of muscle during that time and the rest is water, glycogen, and mostly fat. He looks extremely bloated.

With that said the only way to add muscle is to consume more calories than you need so my guess is he plans on focusing on strength and weight gain for a year or so then strips off the fat.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I wonder if he will realise what Tiger now seems to have released. The bigger Tiger was, the worse he actually looked. Seemed the same for Bryson.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I guess we'll find out.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/12/11/bryson-dechambeau-presidents-cup-growth/

"DeChambeau’s body has transformed so significantly that the Presidents Cup team uniform he was fitted for in May — during the Memorial Tournament — no longer fits. His chest size has increased from 52 to 54 inches, his neck from 17.5 to 18.5 inches, his waist from 34 to 37 inches."

Sounds like he gained like 20lbs of fat. Hopefully, some muscle too. Gaining a couple of inches on his waist might be normal if he is bulking but I have no idea why he is bulking in the first place. If the goal is to gain strength, you can do that without getting fat. Even if he wanted to gain some mass to look bigger, he could so that without putting on so much fat.

And I'm pretty sure they mean his chest went from 42-44 cause this is a 54 inch chest ; )

C504CAK5NJ02.png

I want Brooks and Bryson to get into a bulk up race until one of them just tips over.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant