Is One Brand OCD a Thing?

IamMarkMac

As a lefty I don't have the option as much as I would like to think. I need to try the club first and therefore hit what is available and if I find something that works I put it in the bag. I do have 1 OCD equipment hang-up and that is a branded bag without having some of those clubs in the bag, that's why i stay with Sun Mountain.

This is a good topic.  I often struggle with the thoughts of everything matching.  I've switched brands, setups, more times than I can count, sometimes just because it didn't match.  I've purposefully tried to break away from this thought process.  Early this year, I went all Titleist.  Growing up, I never played anything Titleist, except the ball.  I always associated the brand as elitist.  The truth, as a kid, my parents wouldn't buy me the brand because it was expensive.  So, went all Titleist, even though I don't care for the brand (except vokey wedges and the ball).  I won the club championship with the brand this year, had some good rounds with the brand, but every time I look at my bag, I hate it!  sounds stupid, I know.  So, I've gone away from the one brand mentality (attempting to).  I've ordered a set of mizuno jpx 919 tour irons, will have vokey wedges and likely Taylormade woods (to be determined).  Sun Mountain walking bag and trying to decide on the ball (Bridgestone, Titleist, Taylormade or Srixon).   I'd say brand OCD is a thing for sure, especially from someone who has OCD struggles in life.  Long story short, play what is best for your game and don't look at WITB forums.....hahaha

Though one brand is a desirable goal, it’s never been a primary concern of mine.  I go with what feels right and works. To that end, my current bag and equipment are ALL Titleist.  Boy, has that been a long time in the making.  The last time that happened was in 2006.   Historically, wedges, putter and stand-bag never matched irons.  Titleist is finally doing something right.
PS - @gators78 it's not the best judgment to base the bet on equipment observations. There are a lot of good golfers with tournament bags and matching equipment. I raise the bet based on behavior, and or when opponents stop to get big hotdogs or juicy burgers and chips and beers. A bloated feeling of bogies are right around the corner. If you paid off your mortgage with betting funds did you live in a tent? LOL

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I think brand OCD is totally a thing and I'll admit I've had it for awhile. It's very simple, in the mid/late 90's when I was started playing golf I liked David Duval (who played Titleist at the time). After DD moved to The Swoosh, Adam Scott came along and he had a full bag of Titleist clubs. My dad would bring home logo-ed DT-2 Piece balls from his company so I was already playing the ball. The first Titleist club in my bag was my Scotty putter which was my first "large" purchase when I got a job. Although I played many off-brands and used hand-me-downs during high school and afterwards....the goal was always to have a full bag of Titleist. Fast forward a bunch of years to about 2016 or so when all 14 clubs were finally Titleist. It's been that way ever since.

More recently as I've been reading more and more about other brands (on GolfWRX naturally) I've become more open minded to the possibility of changing in the future. It'll probably happen slowly like with a hybrid or utility iron first. And every club from now on will be judged against the look and feel my current gamers provide.

Reading some of the previous comments in this thread it really surprises when people say they just traded in (insert XYZ club) recently released clubs for even newer clubs. Why would you give up on clubs you've barely had? Either not fitted for them and blindly bought them? Get fit for you clubs and have CONFIDENCE that what you're using is right for you.

And full-disclosure, I'll never get rid of my Ping Hoofer bag, even if I play Titleist clubs. Used Hoofers since high-school and they're the best bag on the market.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

I think it's more a appearance thing for most club guys. Gotta have the matching gear clubs balls etc. And i would go as far to say most aren't even fitted. That being said my bag is 100% a free agent bag by all means. Tour issue callaway epic flash sz driver and 3 wood, titleist ts3 hybrid, mizzy jpx 919 tour, TM mG2 wedges and a CT x5 scotty. But all my clubs were fitted and are what works for me. If you can get fitted into a one brand full bag great but don't be afraid to explore other OEMs. The fact is that some clubs are suited to your game better than others which is why you have options in the first place. And stop buying off the rack and get fitted, you will soon understand why you couldnt shave those strokes off your score with the OTR clubs.

LOL, this is a great topic.

I don't play with many strangers nowadays so nobody's bag surprises me but when I DID play with strangers I can tell you that 90% of them that matched everything were simply "posers". Couldn't play a lick.

On HERE I wouldn't necessarily expect that though. IIRC Mahamilto is a terrific player. If I played with him and saw him stripe his driver, hit a 9 iron to 3 feet and knock it right in for birdie on the first hole, I'd simply say to myself "Whoa, this guy can play". LMAO

I simply play with what works.

My OCD type behavior is, I never buy a bag with a manufacturer's name on it because I don't know if I'll be playing ANY of that equipment for as long as I use the bag. I stick with Ogio or Sun Mountain.

Hats - I will never buy a hat that doesn't represent at least a single club in my bag OR the ball I play at the time of purchase. I will still wear the hat around town if I've given up on the ball or club, but won't wear it on the course.

Matching clubs ? Surely you jest. LOL

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Though your advice has value to beginners, as you know, it's not for everyone.  I had two bad fittings in the 80s and “one" real professional fitting in the late '90s.  Since 2000, I have purchased five iron sets off-the-shelve plus my 620MB/CB's. I had hoped the stock shafts would work but that wasn't to be. Aftermarket shafts were installed, although heads specs, including lie angle remain stock.

The primary reason that is possible is contemporary irons from the factory have more upright lie angles.  In the '80s, iron sets had much flatter lie angles and different specs; and lie aspect is a crucial influence regarding proper ball striking and good golf. Have a good day.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Geez, I think I'm gonna do it. At the very least, I'll find out if it makes me feel better and more comfortable. For sure, I'll hit some bad shots and then I'll see if I'm fine with it or if my head tells me I'm an idiot for obsessing over matching equipment rather than using the best tool regardless of brand.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I say play what you like and what you want. If it's all one brand or if it's a mixed bag, so be it. Pretty much all of the major OEM's have incredible gear these days that you can optimize performance from anyone. They are all damn good at the moment.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

YUP I am that old--- I remember my old man was a dyed in the wool Ford man------ but he did own a couple of Chevrolets and cussed them the whole time he owned them----- Me I was a Chevy and Dodge man still am

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I actually have several Burton and Miller bags that are Ryder Cup collectables---- The one I was speaking of came from Goodwill and does have the emblem of the Reserve Club at Pawleys Island SC. It is pristine and well built. I gave $9.99 for it--- Found out it is also about 20 years old because 2 older guys asked me about it down at Heritage one day---- Come to find out they gave members those bags one year at Christmas--- I did tell them where I got it ( I do not sail on false colors) and one of them said he bet it was such and suchs bag and he had passed. The one guy also said that if it was that member he had never used that bag. I did ask them if it was offensive or such for me to have it and they said heck no in fact that old member would get a kick out of the fact I was using it

Hmm, kind of understand the feeling. I have a m1 hybrid I love so if that's in the bag the m2 driver goes in as well cause it looks better. At best I might cluster clubs: woods same brand, irons same brand etc. Matching model I don't care about. Or bag therefore.

But.. I like going through the discount/second hand boxes in the shop and get something new to try out. So often I have a very mixed bag. Current set at home: Titleist driver, Nike 3w, Nickent 3h, Acer 5h, MD 7i & 9i, TM aw, Cleveland 60o, Spalding putter. Forgot the bag brand.

Maybe once I stop experimenting with the irons I might match the clusters. If I have the money..

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

I had considered being "brand loyal" before, but couldn't afford it at the times I wanted to devote myself to one equipment brand. Now, it's more of a superstitious thing for me to not get too into just one brand, as the brand I pledge my hands and calluses to eventually go belly up, (sorry Adams and Nike, my fault.)

But on a serious note, as much as I like a company's tech package and methodology, it really has come down to just finding what works for me recently, (which ended up being quite a ways cheaper anyway.)

I am of that age too. My family were diehard GM supporters. That's also when certain brands equated to quality and loyalty to "Made in USA" meant something. Being a diehard American, I wish that were still true.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

LOL On the Cally and Ping stuff you also need to emphasize in modern as well as classic. As far as grips I am with you on that. Along with mixed brands I have been known to play mixed grips too. If I hit a club with the grip that is on it and it feels good I leave it on. Like I told the OP a while back there is nothing wrong with being OCD and playing what makes one happy. Me I am about as far from OCD as one can get

I am with you 110% on that one. What was funny was a few years back when I was still riding Harleys I rode the older stuff. All these guys clamored Harley - Davidson made in the USA which I replied yeah with Japanese electronics and transmission gears made in Romania. Even my 1976 Shovelhead had a Japanese Hitachi starter. I guess technically for us old school guys today it is a slippery slope--- For example Bosch which makes electrical parts has a plant in Anderson SC along with several other German manufacturers to support the big BMW plant in Greer SC. I do know also Honda has a big plant in Maryville Ohio because I hauled a lot of machinery in there when they built the place. I have not really messed with cars mechanically in the last 20 years wonder if GM is still all Delco and Ford is all Motorcraft. I do know from owning Chrysler stuff exclusively the last 15 years I know they have a mix of Bosch and Damlier stuff.

Growing up as a junior in the 80s, the concept of one brand didn't exist. First, you inherit what you can from pros or semi-pros who cycle through clubs.

Second, many brands were not complete. Example if you were lucky enough to game ping eye2 irons, you were not gaming their woods: the laminate ping woods in the 80s were well, ick.

You begged into a nice Cleveland or other top brand persimmon, or the early days of the TM Burner series.

Today, I observe bags only to see nice looking clubs: I never think twice if its one brand or not.

My annoyance in the bag is in finishing things. I have all simple black ferrules and just picked up a barely used 56 Miura wedge. It has a gray ferrule.

I'm swapping ferrules. I can keep my WRX card...

There have been one brand bags since the days of Robert Forgan. Maybe leave out the ocd part, but it is definitely a thing.

Had a buddy in high school whose dad played at Ohio State and was at that time still a top amateur, winning several big regional and state tourneys. Everything Wilson Staff, incuding his spare sets. I was in awe of those sets.

It isn't hard to imagine any one brand suiting a player's eye, winning them over with excellent customer service, better shaft options or just plain looking bling in the bag.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Got ya. I have had an MC since high school and sold my custom Harley Road King a few years back. Can't believe I am without a scooter... Anyhow, I really set the family a stir when I got into Porsche and BMW. Take care...

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I do suffer from one brand OCD from time to time, and, even when I don't, I tend to follow a few "matching" rules when it comes to equipment, especially when choosing irons. For instance:

Mizuno is the "khaki" of irons - it goes with everything. Any time I've built a mixed bag, it is because the irons were mizunos. I can use any brand or driver, woods, wedges, or putter with Mizunos.

Ping irons ONLY go with Ping clubs.

Callaway irons only go with Callaway/Odyssey clubs.

TaylorMade irons only go with TaylorMade woods, but I can sneak a different brand wedge or putter in the bag.

Titleist irons only go with Titleist clubs

Srixon irons MUST be paired with Cleveland wedges, but the rest of the bag can be mixed.

Currently building an all Titleist bag, including the bag itself. Weird, right?

To To clear, I'd love to be "my own brand," but this OCD thing really does creep in on me for some reason.

Haha haha... I remember that. I’ll be honest, I’m the exact same way with the hat. I feel like a bigger poser if I wore a hat that DIDN’T match something in my bag!

Maybe I’m the outlier... but I rarely see many golfers that can hold their own. Golf is hard! The ones with matching set bag etc. I have seen have at the very least been solid golfer, as in breaking 90 with mostly decent shots. Even if someone shot 105 with a staff bag, it’s how they would act that would make me look at them funny. If they just played and enjoyed it, rather than tell me every shot how they are better than they are playing, I’d assume they like the look or feel; and that’s all I would think!

While breaking 90 isn’t "elite", that’s relative, most golfers would cry to break 90 regularly.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I have brand ocd bad. I was gaming x2 hot drivers/wood/hybrids, razr X irons, and odyssey 2 ball.

When I got my 716 AP2s, I traded in all my x2 hots for 915s, and got a scotty X7m.

They're all in a Callaway fusion 14 bag only bc the year I replaced my old stand bag, the Titleist 14 stand wasn't full length dividers. And it drives me crazy.

That said, certain items are exempt from my brand ocd: wedges, putter, and ball. I almost got ab evnroll, but the X7m edged it out looks and feel. And I gamed vokeys with my callaways. Balls, I'll play titleist when i can but will frequently game Kirkland and callaway too.

I wore a titleist hat this year and played absolutely nothing from titleist. I feel dirty.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.