2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your best experience playing with a stranger

Miss_Tee

I've seen several threads on here about the guy you hate to play golf with. Let's hear about your favorite guy/gal you have met on the golf course. I actually met my husband while playing golf. We both showed up to play as singles and the pro shop paired us up to play as a twosome. We had never even seen each other before that day. It just goes to show that having to play with strangers can turn out to be a good thing. Tell us about your best experience playing golf with a stranger.

Went to play 9 with a pal at a local 9 hole track, get paired up with an older lady (60s). Exchange pleasantries, not much else for the first few holes. Shes a couple strokes up on us after 2 holes, my buddy does something stupid drops an F bomb, she cracks up. Very nice lady talked and joked with us the rest of the round. I think she shot maybe 2 or 3 over through nine. Told us on the last hole she was the ladies champ at this course. Nice lady have seen her around a few times always say hello.

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I played with 2 brothers a couple of years ago on a rare 60 degree day on the last day of November. These 2 were trash talking and making fun of each other right from the beginning. It wasn’t too long before they got me involved in the back and forth. I have probably never laughed so much during a round of golf. It was also the first time I broke 90 so it was a pretty memorable day.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Met some new golf buddies this way. I typically play as a single due to my work schedule and others working regular bankers hours. Play a local muni a lot since it’s pretty empty and I get to play extra shots when I’m working on my game. Got paired up with a twosome who looked a little rough and odd at the same time. One guy was clean cut with everything he was wearing reminded me of Rickie Fowler but not as bright. And the other guy had the flat brim, thick Oakleys on clothes about two sizes bigger. Didn’t figure them to go together. To my surprise we connected right off the bat. Had great dialogue since we were all in the same age grouping with young families. Talked about sports, golf equipment we have arriving on our doorsteps and was able to joke around. They loved the game as much as I did and surprisingly enough, they also met on the golf course playing as singles. Not too long after, we’ve grown to 6 players who play often. Goes to show, the passion for the game really does connect people.

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Sitting next to a Yellow Freight trucker at a bar in Bluffton Indiana back in around '84. At the time, Yellow Freight was known for giving away orange golf balls with their logo. We were having a nice chat and found out he was delivering to an address across the street from my office the next day. I came in the next morning and the guy had dropped off a dozen Yellow Fright golf balls for me. A great American, right there.

I know it's not ON the golf course but where else could i tell this story?

OP: Nice, positive post/topic.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Paired with a senior, guy could not drive it more than 175, he shot below his age from white tees. Real treat to play with. A Yale graduate and a career on Madison Ave. Worldly and affable. I played solid & relaxed but he ate my lunch. Incredible wedge and putter, got up and down from everywhere. Completely changed how I aspire to play the game now and in 25 years.

• Like 2

Got paired up with another single and a twosome for an early AM weekend time. Started raining a little bit and the twosome dropped out after 9. The other guy and I kept going and had some good conversation and didn't mind the weather...we just both wanted to play golf. Today he's my main playing partner and we just got back from our 5th winter golf trip in 5 years and he's turned into a great friend off the course too.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I was playing with a friend of mine and we got hooked up with a guy from Las Vegas (we're in NC). He joined us the next week, too, and we became a regular trio. About a month after we'd met him, and were already on our way to becoming good friends with him, we were on the first hole. My friend and I were in the middle of the fairway while our new buddy was on the left stuck behind a tree. I said to my friend "watch this. He's gonna hit it right into the tree", and sure enough, that's exactly what he did. My friend said "what the heck did he do that for?" I said "he's from Vegas. Maybe he's never seen a tree before." That was about five years ago and our buddy from Vegas has become one of my favorite friends I've ever had. Sadly, he and his wife moved to Texas to be closer to the grandchildren, so we only see him about once, or twice a year. Text him all the time, though. We had a lot of fun.

I’d estimate that over 95% of my stranger pairings have been pleasant or better. I’ve had a handful of real d-bags and those are memorable, but I’ve had way more examples of positive experiences.

The ones that have stuck out with me, for whatever reason, are typically the older guys just having a good time out on the course. I’ve played with 3 retired doctors from West Virginia (not all in the same round) and they were all similar...cracking dirty jokes, having a good time just knocking the ball around. Played with some older guys down in North Carolina and similar story...all were retired from successful careers (one had been a pro basketball player), all were just enjoying the day outside, one was downright strange but in a really funny way, telling dirty jokes again, just a sheer pleasure to be around and great guys.

At Pebble Beach I was paired with two guys from London doing a US golf tour. Super nice but appeared to be quite wealthy guys. At St Andrews I got paired with two guys from New Zealand but they both had a place in St Andrews and played there all the time. Super nice (and seemingly well off) guys. In that same round, we had a young guy from England who was a heckuva golfer who was playing a few rounds around the UK before he started a job as an assistant golf pro in England. He and I headed to a pub afterwards and had a good time.

Golf seems to be a great way to connect people of all places and backgrounds toward a common pursuit. In that way, golf has given me a lot!

• Like 1

I’ve posted this elsewhere, but a good place to re-post:

A buddy and I were paired with Nick Nicoletti (I assume his first name was not actually nick-- just what everyone called him because of his last name) on his 86th birthday at Franklin Canyon outside of San Francisco. He was a regular there and about six different times, someone who worked at the course would come by with a birthday cupcake, a birthday drink, a birthday whatever. He was very appreciative and a blast to play with. 

No practied swings ever and solid contact every time. Self deprecating humor every hole. E.g., after a perfectly good drive down the middle that was probably 180-200, "Ahhhh. I can pis* further than that!!" Every time someone reminded him it was his birthday, he'd declare himself the luckiest guy in the world. In fact, it was not only his birthday, it was also his 15th wedding anniversary. He'd met a great "girl" and married her way back when. ... when he was 71. ;-). We met her after the round. She was wonderful and didn't look a day over 70. Lucky guy indeed.

All great stories. Luv it.

I've met a few WRX'rs over the past few years and we still get together and play over the summer. Great guys... an electrician, college prof, HS textbook sales rep, etc.

We've had some great times and we're planning to do the same this summer.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

As someone who just started playing last august, at 32 years old, I've been walking alone.

I want my game to get out of miserable before I play with anyone else I know who have all been golfing since highschool.

So far I've been paired with a single twice, and both times it has been a great experience.

I like to meet new people anyways, but the golf course is a fun and easy place to talk, and you have that immediate shared connection.

They've both been older guys with families, happy to give advice and life lessons.

Also, as someone who typically plays alone, it has been great experience with regards to "pressure"

The first time, I played awful. I'm not great (or even good) to begin with, but it was a painful round. (and I don't keep score). I attribute a lot of this to the fact that I hadn't played with anyone else before.

Second time, I played wonderfully, and that really helped the experience as well.

I'm actually looking forward to continue to walk on single and get paired more in the future.

• Like 1

Last summer I was playing in a tournament where you made your own groups the first day (they only make you play with your flight the second day). I show up and the other 3 for my tee time had bailed so I got paired with 3 guys from the championship flight. They were all 3 retired mine engineers and I am a current civil engineer that started off as a mine engineer. One of the funnest groups I had ever played with! Figured being a 14 handicap playing with a bunch of low single handicaps that I'd be nervous, but they were all super easy going and I actually played way better with them than I usually do. They honestly hit the ball about the same as I do, but all 3 of them had ridiculously consistent sub 100 yard games that I could not quite match.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Three of us were grouped with an older guy one random morning last year. The three of us were cruising on our carts through the course playing our normal bogey, par, bogey, par golf with the occasional birdie and double bogey. This guy, who by the way was walking the course, used an old Yes blade putter and after a few holes it was obvious his putting was awesome. He also didn’t really “mess up” any holes badly or hit any really bad shots. At the end of the 18th hole, he had shot even par. It was pretty cool because it just flew under the radar and he was so low key. He also mentioned on 18 that he should be shooting even par because he played that specific public course over 100 times per year.

My best experience playing with somebody new?

I once had a playing lesson with an LPGA teaching pro many years ago.

No need to finish the story, but it was my best experience playing with somebody new.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball