Maxfli Tour

jjfcpa

used to love Maxfli golf balls. i need to try these.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Not sure what happened but I decided the $11.99 u fli soft was too good to pass up.  Ordered 5 dozen but received the 2020 Maxfli tour instead?  Haven’t plYed them yet but thought it was a nice upgrade for short money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

11 hours ago, Frisco Kid said:

Not sure what happened but I decided the $11.99 u fli soft was too good to pass up.  Ordered 5 dozen but received the 2020 Maxfli tour instead?  Haven’t plYed them yet but thought it was a nice upgrade for short money.

I'm always skeptical about big box store balls, but the Maxfli Tours were great. I always check my driver distance with GPS and these have been as long as any premium tour ball I've hit. Spin is solid. Only slight knock I would have is durability, but I have been known to play from a lot of cart paths and trees so I do expect some scuffing. For the price, they are hard to beat. 

• Thanks 1

I've been playing the Maxfli tours since they launched last year. At 2 for $50 they are worth the price. The performance is equal to any other tour ball I played. It has been reviewed on a couple different site & has always come through with outstanding results. Hard to go wrong with this ball.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

11 hours ago, Mbarry212 said:

Seems like these balls are all the talk recently. I'm gonna have to go out and buy a dozen and give them a smack

2 dozen for $50 is a great deal... I do like the Tour X a lot.

I'd get the standard white gloss now, or yellow if they did it for the X... bought a bunch of the matte white X while on a trip to US and they are lovely, but scuff (or show up scuffs more) than the gloss and are a bit less visible than the usual gloss (why I'd prefer a yellow option).

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I've played Pro V1x so long and it suits my game so well, there's probably never going to be a ball I like better. But the Maxfli Tour X is the least expensive (when they're on sale) of the balls that get my highest endorsement...I can play them instead of Pro V1x and not feel like I'm giving up any meaningful performance. 

Balls that have been nearly as good as Pro V1x for me:

Maxfli Tour X

TP5X

K-Sig (original 4pc)

B330 (2012 version)

Pro V1

I think that's pretty much the complete list. All the many others I've tried I always end up with some slight quibble, most don't fly high enough, they've been slightly lacking my usual distances, some spin too much or too little.  Of the ones on the good-enough list only the Tour X is currently available and cheap enough to be tempting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

I've played Pro V1x so long and it suits my game so well, there's probably never going to be a ball I like better. But the Maxfli Tour X is the least expensive (when they're on sale) of the balls that get my highest endorsement...I can play them instead of Pro V1x and not feel like I'm giving up any meaningful performance. 

Balls that have been nearly as good as Pro V1x for me:

Maxfli Tour X

TP5X

K-Sig (original 4pc)

B330 (2012 version)

Pro V1

I think that's pretty much the complete list. All the many others I've tried I always end up with some slight quibble, most don't fly high enough, they've been slightly lacking my usual distances, some spin too much or too little.  Of the ones on the good-enough list only the Tour X is currently available and cheap enough to be tempting.

Finally got a hold of some TP5X's.  Looking forward to playing it tomorrow. I have heard great things about the ball.

There's a good article at MGS about these balls. Produced by Foremost, who makes balls for "...several mainstream OEM's..." , along with Vice, OnCore, etc.

Title of the article (and easy to find on the web): "Product Spotlight: Maxfli Tour & Tour X Balls"

When they go on sale or if you constantly have the $10 off coupons for Dick's and GG, these are priced decently.

Edited by Hammer22
  • Like 1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

8 hours ago, Hammer22 said:

There's a good article at MGS about these balls. Produced by Foremost, who makes balls for "...several mainstream OEM's..." , along with Vice, OnCore, etc.

Title of the article (and easy to find on the web): "Product Spotlight: Maxfli Tour & Tour X Balls"

When they go on sale or if you constantly have the $10 off coupons for Dick's and GG, these are priced decently.

Weren't they the same ball as one of the Vice balls? Does Maxfli/Dicks/GG have their own R&D or is this an open model ball?

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

11 hours ago, TKS said:

Weren't they the same ball as one of the Vice balls? Does Maxfli/Dicks/GG have their own R&D or is this an open model ball?

Most likely....

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Kinda interested in these.  If they don't have the Snell's i want, I will try these out.  Used to love Maxfli balls. Wonder how the yellow are? I'm picky about the shade of yellow used. 

3 hours ago, Minarets said:

Kinda interested in these.  If they don't have the Snell's i want, I will try these out.  Used to love Maxfli balls. Wonder how the yellow are? I'm picky about the shade of yellow used. 

Yellow only comes in the 3 piece Tour, if that matters to you. I have tried the X and the Tour. I have often thought about switching to this ball full time over Titleist. It is that good, especially for the money.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, awtryau89 said:

Yellow only comes in the 3 piece Tour, if that matters to you. I have tried the X and the Tour. I have often thought about switching to this ball full time over Titleist. It is that good, especially for the money.

well, I love ProV1 and ProV1x.  Loved the Snell MTB-X but haven't played the MTB yet.   Glad to hear there is no drop off.  I may go Tour with fall/cooler temps coming.   Or buy a few boxes of both. 

I just picked up a doz of each one the 2 for 50 deal. Going to try them again. I got a box of each when they first came out, but hated the tour, which I got in the green color. It was very short for me. The x was pretty good.

I've been trying to figure out the alignment aid off the tee. I suppose you point it straight ahead? 

56 minutes ago, Justsomeguy said:

I just picked up a doz of each one the 2 for 50 deal. Going to try them again. I got a box of each when they first came out, but hated the tour, which I got in the green color. It was very short for me. The x was pretty good.

I've been trying to figure out the alignment aid off the tee. I suppose you point it straight ahead? 

You use the alignment aid just like you would for putting.  When you place it on the ground the alignment aid should be on top. 

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

On 8/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, cardia10 said:

I'm always skeptical about big box store balls, but the Maxfli Tours were great. I always check my driver distance with GPS and these have been as long as any premium tour ball I've hit. Spin is solid. Only slight knock I would have is durability, but I have been known to play from a lot of cart paths and trees so I do expect some scuffing. For the price, they are hard to beat. 

Interesting, I was playing the old Maxfli Ufli Speed Saturday and hit a path hard enough to get a 30 yard bounce and it didn’t leave a mark.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

4 minutes ago, deepred said:

Interesting, I was playing the old Maxfli Ufli Speed Saturday and hit a path hard enough to get a 30 yard bounce and it didn’t leave a mark.

I would compare it to a Pro V or other premium ball. I hit it crooked often so I'm sure I'm a little harder on balls than most. If not lost early, I could get a round out of a Maxfli Tour.

8 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

You use the alignment aid just like you would for putting.  When you place it on the ground the alignment aid should be on top. 

No I know, but off the tee, if I tilt it inward, is that supposed to infinitesimally promote a pull or draw?

@Justsomeguy the idea with the CG is it will reduce sidespin for greater consistency. The label is meant to be positioned on top when allowed to touch the ball.  That said, its not meant to promote a fade or draw.  CG alignment is based on the understanding that a ball wants to spin around its most balanced orientation. If the ball starts in that position, less time and energy are wasted during flight, leading to more efficient flight. It’s somewhat akin to throwing a perfect spiral as compared to a wobbling, wounded-duck. Moreover, the practical application of CG alignment, according to Maxfli, is it helps tee shots reach a greater peak height and fly farther. YMMV.  I play the Tour X version and they are a fantastic ball (too bad they don;t make it in yellow or it would be my gamer ball).  Its as every bit as good as the Pro V1x (yellow - my gamer) 

Here is a couple of links discussing the tech...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/maxfli-focuses-on-center-of-gravity-in-its-new-tour-and-tour-x-line-of-golf-balls  

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/maxfli-tour-tour-x-balls/

• Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

2 hours ago, Justsomeguy said:

No I know, but off the tee, if I tilt it inward, is that supposed to infinitesimally promote a pull or draw?

I've watched a few youtube tests on it. No real difference in shot distance or shape based on the alignment. Pure marketing probably, like Taylor Made saying they are 30 yards longer every year for the past 15 years...

• Like 2

Wish the X came in yellow. Guess they don't sell near the amount of X's 

Bought 2 dozen yellow Tours and 3 white Tour X.  Hope I like them 

Phenomenal ball. My last 4 scores have been 71, 68, 68, 68. The balls looked practically new after the round. As long as these are available I'll never pay $50 for a dozen balls again. 

• Like 2

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Picked these up as I was out of Vice Pros that I had been playing. Had a Dick's score card $10 credit and a coupon so ended up paying $30 for 2 dozen. I've only played a few rounds with them but so far I really like them. I think I like the feel of the Vice Pro maybe just a little better. But for $25 a dozen with only have to buy 2 dozen instead of 5, and being readily available, I may stick with them.

I picked up the Tour and not the X, so may try those next time.

Welp, I was headed to the course just to practice some chipping/pitching and putting. Normally, the place I was going gives you range balls for the chipping/pitching, but about half way there, I realized I forgot to bring some of my Z-Stars to use on the putting green. So, I stopped at Dick's and picked up a box of Yellow Tours and a box of the Tour X, since I'd sort of been planning on testing these out, it gave me an excuse.

Glad I did, because when I got there, the range was closed because we'd had a heavy rain last night. And you were only allowed to use your own balls in the chipping/pitching area (which I wish was the case all the time since range balls aren't nearly as helpful when you're practicing the short game).

I liked both of them in the relatively short period of time I was out there. To me, there was a definite "clickier" sound and feel to the X off my CBX2 wedges, but they both performed very similarly around the green. On the putting green, they both felt and sounded very similar off my Toulon Austin (I'd say the same about the O Works 1 I had with me, but I'm about done with this putter because it just feels dead off the face and you get virtually no feedback, but I digress).

I'll test them out the next time I play a round and compare them to the Z-Star and the BRX. I'd be fine if the performed similarly to, or better than, the Z-Star (which is my current preferred ball), since I could pick up 2 dozen for $50 if I ran out of Srixon between their BOGO deals.

I recently gamed the maxfli's, and they are a solid ball. Definitely comparable to any "premium ball"....HOWEVER, I gamed them head to head against 2020 ksigs...

I was under the belief that the k-sigs were costing me 5 yds on irons and 7 yds on drives, and were getting "hung up in the wind" and losing even more distance. Figured I try the 2 for $50. Must say I was very pleased with the maxfli's, but after my head to head, there is ZERO REASON to even spend $2 a golf ball when you can spend 1/2 that.

I played 3 rounds (actually more like 5 rounds). Tee'd off with one of each ball (ksig and maxfli tours), I then played a scramble with myself and took the best shot. Picked up the other ball and hit two shots from the best ball (one from each brand). Again, choosing the best shot and picking up the worst, and hitting two shots from the best...I proceeded to do this for the whole round (actually two full rounds). I would alternate which ball I tee'd off with first. Every time I made a terrible swing, I would drop another "like" ball and hit again. I would then track which ball performed better hole after hole, shot after shot, noting "wind, spin, distance, feel, etc"....I did this for 2-3 rounds. 

I then did 2 rounds of "mini tourneys" - I would play 3 hole "tourneys'" with one of the balls. Played exactly as I would a competitive round. No additional balls/swings, accepting the results. 3 holes with ksig, 3 with maxfli, etc. Again noting which ball "performed better".

I then did one round where I played 9 holes with one ball and the other 9 with the other ball. At this point, if your doing the same test, you should have a real strong feel of which ball was performing SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER. Start with that ball.

Results: The Ksig performed just as good, and actually was my preferred ball. I found that the maxfli was shorter off the driver on both standard swings and my absolutely best drives, and flew a little more offline on my worst swings. on Iron shots, it maybe performed slightly better in wind, but not in normal conditions...(only 1-3 yds better).  The maxfli's durability was also slightly better by maybe 1-3 holes. 

Kirkland was the CLEAR winner on anything inside 80 yds.

(I also did this same test with prov1's and had exactly the same results).

Conclusion, for $1.10 per golf ball, there is nowhere near enough difference to justify paying anything more. If your at all looking for value, which I expect anyone researching maxfli tours is, then stop looking anywhere else. for $50 you can get 12, 24, or 48 golf balls that are basically identical**. Which one is the best value?

**ProV'1s will give you slightly more distance off driver on a more consistent basis, but we're talking 5-7 yds and only on your best swings of the day, the trade-off being that your bad shots will be exacerbated by the proV1...so do you have more "pure swings" in a round, or "less-than-Pure" swings? come on, be honest....Also, in practice, is there really a difference between 255 yds vs 260 yds? don't your drives normal vary by at least that much?

Since this is a maxfli thread, I will say, the maxfli's are excellent balls. I have no trouble playing them, and on especially windy days, just to "feel more confident" which is totally placebo, I will game a maxfli, BUT, seriously, why pay twice as much for the same golf ball? (notice that is the same argument maxfli users use against proV1?)

good luck and enjoy the never ending hunt!