Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

The swing I did was a backswing and the first move down was SIDE BEND TO THE RIGHT

Is this a reverse C? A bit out of fashion I thought.

Think fashion now is the first move (in fact slightly before back swing complete) to recentre...or bump as in bump, dump and turn.

Edited by Nickc
Add a bit (note centre is UK spelling of center)

8 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Is this a reverse C? A bit out of fashion I thought.

Think fashion now is the first move (in fact slightly before back swing complete) to recentre...or bump as in bump, dump and turn.

id say so yes - unbelievable speed from it but I was inconsistent.  Fully onboard with Monte but needing to throw things that felt like they worked in the bin - but wanted to understand why they dont fit etc

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

there is a massive importance to call out which swing theories are different and why - from my perspective anyway.  Understanding match ups is the reason why people go off track and probably one of the reasons some golf instructors get people coming through the door with broken swings.  Monte will often explain why certain things should not be done and why.

Hutt doesnt seem to be stack and tilt at all.  He gets his weight on the right side, he's not loaded on his front foot - he doesn't tilt.  Have you got the right person

There are plenty of threads talking about other swing theories. The beauty of NTC is how simple it is and how much clarity it provides in a sea of theory. You don't need anything else (although I don't have any issue with AMG posts being in here because those guys work with Monte and provide real clarity). I also know for a fact that Monte doesn't have much time for the very vast majority of teachers on YouTube, so why muddy the waters in his crystal clear pool of knowledge?

Jake Hutt is definitely a S&T teacher. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

There are plenty of threads talking about other swing theories. The beauty of NTC is how simple it is and how much clarity it provides in a sea of theory. You don't need anything else (although I don't have any issue with AMG posts being in here because those guys work with Monte and provide real clarity). I also know for a fact that Monte doesn't have much time for the very vast majority of teachers on YouTube, so why muddy the waters in his crystal clear pool of knowledge?

Spot on.  No different than MDLT's swing.  It stands alone as an effective model.  I'm amazed at the parasites who chime in to reference stray videos from "their guy" on a thread involving truly effective and innovative instruction.  I'm sure we'll get more of the same with Monte's new video, as well...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

On 2/28/2020 at 12:31 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Jake and Jeff.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:03 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Jerk Hutt and Jeff Brehaut

On 2/1/2021 at 3:51 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

He’s a very good instructor, with very good ideas.  One of the very few times Ive disagreed with him.  Might be the only time.  My bias on this issue comes from so

many people on my lesson tee have passive and trialing arms and activating their arms gets them a better impact immediately. 

Monte it seems is a big fan of Jake Hutt and yes there are similarities to their philosophies - the two top posts were responses to people asking for good swing coach recomendations and the bottom one is in reference to Jim waldron instructionb which again has similarities.

Its quite nice to understand which things fit within the venn diagram and which ones dont.  Jake is not a stack and tilt instructor - just sat through an hour plus long podcast, unlooess they are teaching Stanford University kids S&T.

4 hours ago, games said:

Spot on.  No different than MDLT's swing.  It stands alone as an effective model.  I'm amazed at the parasites who chime in to reference stray videos from "their guy" on a thread involving truly effective and innovative instruction.  I'm sure we'll get more of the same with Monte's new video, as well...

I don't subscribe to that at all.  I didn't know who Jake Hutt was till I seen this thread - and i'm glad someone did post it as there is different way and feels in how to accomplish the same move and its reassuring to see the likes of Monte, Chris Ryan, Jake Hutt  singing from the same hymn sheet.

One of the things that put me off going on a golf forum was posts like this.  

Edited by hafnia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I have taken a lesson with him in person and can assure you he definitely is not. He was taught by Tyler Ferrell (he's still listed as a certified instructor on Tyler's site), so that is the basis of the pattern he teaches. He obviously has a much different delivery method, but it's not stack and tilt. A centered pivot that focuses on turns and tilts does not mean it's stack and tilt.

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I have taken a lesson with him in person and can assure you he definitely is not. He was taught by Tyler Ferrell (he's still listed as a certified instructor on Tyler's site), so that is the basis of the pattern he teaches. He obviously has a much different delivery method, but it's not stack and tilt. A centered pivot that focuses on turns and tilts does not mean it's stack and tilt.

I'm that case I apologise. The videos I saw of his looked very S&T in style to me, albeit less extreme. 

How was your experience? 

37 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Monte it seems is a big fan of Jake Hutt and yes there are similarities to their philosophies - the two top posts were responses to people asking for good swing coach recomendations and the bottom one is in reference to Jim waldron instructionb which again has similarities.

Its quite nice to understand which things fit within the venn diagram and which ones dont.  Jake is not a stack and tilt instructor - just sat through an hour plus long podcast, unlooess they are teaching Stanford University kids S&T.

My apology. I think I might be confusing him with someone else. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's Tom Saguto I was getting Jake confused with. My brain is so mushy these days, man. 

I have seen his videos and he is entertaining and has a following.

From my own perspective I have struggled to get a consistent swing type from any one on one instructor.  So much contradiction from lesson to lesson.  

My key aim is nailing this cast from the top move..... Once I have this I'm sure I will be on my way. 

hey there,

can anyone explain what's this is about? Just saw the original YouTube video in the foggy rain where he explains the not turn cast - so I could not try that out but I am curious about this is the opposite of bowing left wrist in impact which sometimes gives me better shots. bowing the right wrist is the opposite of bowing left one...

and do i unsterstand correctly that there a newer videos with more information on this which needs to be paid?

Best

7 hours ago, ralemb said:

hey there,

can anyone explain what's this is about? Just saw the original YouTube video in the foggy rain where he explains the not turn cast - so I could not try that out but I am curious about this is the opposite of bowing left wrist in impact which sometimes gives me better shots. bowing the right wrist is the opposite of bowing left one...

and do i unsterstand correctly that there a newer videos with more information on this which needs to be paid?

Best

He has a new series at https://video.rebelliongolf.com

11 hours ago, ralemb said:

hey there,

Best

What NTC will do for you is very simply help you to build an effective backswing, and then from there teach you how to transition like the pros. 

There are only really four things to understand. If you're unconvinced just read some is this thread and see what it's done for so many players. 

Reading your thread is clear that it'll help you. 

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

What NTC will do for you is very simply help you to build an effective backswing, and then from there teach you how to transition like the pros. 

There are only really four things to understand. If you're unconvinced just read some is this thread and see what it's done for so many players. 

Reading your thread is clear that it'll help you. 

I had a range session last night, focus on the cast.... I would love to say it went well but didnt. Hit far behind the ball and felt like I lost my swing.

It got to the stage where I kinda had to work on getting my swing in a place that I can play up to the end of season.   

At the end of the session without focusing on cast, I was hitting really nice balls and it was mainly due to me feeling I was taking a lot longer on my backswing (hinge wrists, fold right elbow) and making sure I feel my first move is to put force through my left foot.   I then hit as hard as I wanted.

Now this could be a game changer for me - whilst the NTC is simple in its components versus many other swings - there is no way you can implement changes with a fast backswing and minimal time for transition.  So maybe my need over the next couple of weeks is to focus on working on not getting so quick at the top, I believe a fast backswing precedes this issue.

Once I am comfortable with taking my time to the top I am hopeful that it will be easier to segment things.

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I had a range session last night, focus on the cast.... I would love to say it went well but didnt. Hit far behind the ball and felt like I lost my swing.

It got to the stage where I kinda had to work on getting my swing in a place that I can play up to the end of season.   

At the end of the session without focusing on cast, I was hitting really nice balls and it was mainly due to me feeling I was taking a lot longer on my backswing (hinge wrists, fold right elbow) and making sure I feel my first move is to put force through my left foot.   I then hit as hard as I wanted.

Now this could be a game changer for me - whilst the NTC is simple in its components versus many other swings - there is no way you can implement changes with a fast backswing and minimal time for transition.  So maybe my need over the next couple of weeks is to focus on working on not getting so quick at the top, I believe a fast backswing precedes this issue.

Once I am comfortable with taking my time to the top I am hopeful that it will be easier to segment things.

This isn't a quick fix. There are no genuine quick fixes. 

For context, I'm a better player than you, but my swing relied heavily on timing. When I implemented this change I focused exclusively on P3 swings and cast B for two months hitting balls with wedges every single day. 

At home I worked without a ball in slomo on cast A. I did hundreds of reps just getting a feel for it before hitting balls. I then worked on the slow motion set drill that is in the video series. 

Take your time. Think in terms of months and years rather than days and weeks. 

Monte has written about and talked about how a player's expectations of how long a change will take to bed in is inversely proportionate to their skill level. Pros talk about months and years, decent players talk in terms of months, average players in weeks and high caps in terms of ball to ball. 

Play the long game with this and it'll change your game forever. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This isn't a quick fix. There are no genuine quick fixes. 

For context, I'm a better player than you, but my swing relied heavily on timing. When I implemented this change I focused exclusively on P3 swings and cast B for two months hitting balls with wedges every single day. 

At home I worked without a ball in slomo on cast A. I did hundreds of reps just getting a feel for it before hitting balls. I then worked on the slow motion set drill that is in the video series. 

Monte has written about and talked about how a player's expectations of how long a change will take to bed in is inversely proportionate to their skill level. Pros talk about months and years, decent players talk in terms of months, average players in weeks and high caps in terms of ball to ball. 

Play the long game with this and it'll change your game forever. 

My swing is massively based on timing.  I have had scratch golfers and instructors tell me that I move very well and have great coordination that allows me to compensate (flip).  This has stopped me working on my game in the way that I should

As I get older that ability will go,  if I strike it well I can play front 9 or back 9 pretty much 1 or 2 over par...... but rarely hold all 18 together as a swing that relies on compensations isnt going to hold under pressure.

I am looking forward to this change - the idea of "casting from the top" when Monte first did the video was seen as a breakthrough but in reality it seems its a smart way of teaching what the pros actually do.

I will keep the updates going on here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Now this could be a game changer for me - whilst the NTC is simple in its components versus many other swings - there is no way you can implement changes with a fast backswing and minimal time for transition. 

NTC has a sequence of events. Fixing the earlier ones and you might not need to work cast because the first 3 sequences were enough. To develop motor patterns, moving correct motions slowly at first is so key and not worrying about the results too soon when doing the drill. One routine I do is 3 drill, slow, I don’t care where the ball goes  swings, then 1 full routine, think only of target, not mechanics  swing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Truer words have never been written here.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, rchang72 said:

NTC has a sequence of events. Fixing the earlier ones and you might not need to work cast because the first 3 sequences were enough. To develop motor patterns, moving correct motions slowly at first is so key and not worrying about the results too soon when doing the drill. One routine I do is 3 drill, slow, I don’t care where the ball goes  swings, then 1 full routine, think only of target, not mechanics  swing. 

its so difficult to leave the ego in the car park.  At the range last night at our course some bloke was looking at me and frowning like I never played golf before.  The long term payoff will be worth it!

Monte goes into pretty good detail with these moves, more than others. I've seen others teach the outward of the hands from the top (Jake Hutt, someone said he was S&T which is funny), Chris Como, Trevor Immelman and Gankas but not really in the detail Monte does. For me personally, the move/feel doesn't work too well. I lose feel of the clubhead and my arm structure too much, I also get too shallow but I probably didn't need to move in the first place, I've just tried them over the years. Just throwing that out there in case anyone else can relate.

• Like 1

Just now, Redjeep83 said:

Monte goes into pretty good detail with these moves, more than others. I've seen others teach the outward of the hands from the top (Jake Hutt, someone said he was S&T which is funny), Chris Como, Trevor Immelman and Gankas but not really in the detail Monte does. For me personally, the move/feel doesn't work too well. I lose feel of the clubhead and my arm structure too much, I also get too shallow but I probably didn't need to move in the first place, I've just tried them over the years. Just throwing that out there in case anyone else can relate.

It was me who said Jake Hutt was S&T, but I was having a senior moment and confusing him with Tom Saguto. 🤦🏻‍♂️