Mizuno MP20 MMC Long Term Reviews Please

tw7878

Hello All

I did an iron fitting last year and was close on 3 irons - MP20 MMC T100 and Ping I210 

The 210 didn't appear nice to my eye

The T100 I've been using them all year but never really liked the Ap2 and Don't like the T100 that much.

Ive played MP52 53 and MP15 in the past and love a good chrome MP iron with S300.

Looking for some MMC reviews before I make the plunge.  Any negatives?

Not a single negative thing from me.  Full disclosure, I've been playing Mizuno's for 11 years (JPX 900 Pro, MP 59, MP 25, MP 18 SC, and now the MP 20 MMC) and probably have some bias towards them.  The only other club I've hit that I thought felt as good was a Bridgestone J33.

The MP-59 was my favorite club and these obviously are just a newer and better version.  I've got 60+ rounds in them and couldn't be happier.  I tend to get quick and come over a bit which leads to some strikes closer to the heel and I don't feel like it penalizes me very much.  They carry very consistently with yardages but I also play the same ball so there is always consistency with that too.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't like them.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Got them when they first came out and have played the best golf of my life this year. Won a tournament A flight, had my first even par 9 holes, my highest single round GIR, tons of great scores on brand new courses, down to a ~4 handicap which is my lowest ever. I made a swing breakthrough which is obviously a big part of it, but these irons were there with me the whole way. The decision to go softer in flex on the irons really helped also. 

Very reliable distances. Very forgiving for this type of iron, more forgiving than the S55 I came from before. Amazing feel. Can work them high or low. I feel they are pretty forgiving up and down the face, as well as on the heel. I love playing little knockdown/chokedown/three quarter touch shots with them. I'm a fader and don't really try to draw the ball unless I'm in trouble, but have pulled off some really sweet trap draws under and around trees this year with them.

I originally was not sure if they would be forgiving enough for a 4 iron so I got the HMB, now I am second guessing myself. 

Edited by geesecougar2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I've had mine all season.  Probably the best irons I've ever had.  Forgiving for the smaller size with some workability, very consistent.  Wasn't a fan of the 4 iron so got the HMB and it blends great in that scenario.  Really wish they had a gap wedge.

TaylorMade Qi10LS 9.75* - Fujikura Ventus Red 60
TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 70
PING G430 19* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 80

PING i230 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120

PING S159 - 49* S, 54* S, 58* H - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120

Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Pro V1x

11 hours ago, mt3 said:

I've had mine all season.  Probably the best irons I've ever had.  Forgiving for the smaller size with some workability, very consistent.  Wasn't a fan of the 4 iron so got the HMB and it blends great in that scenario.  Really wish they had a gap wedge.

found the same thing.  Very forgiving.

2024 Bag TBD

On 9/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, tw7878 said:

Ive played MP52 53 and MP15 in the past and love a good chrome MP iron with S300.

You've answered your own question.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

23 hours ago, geesecougar2 said:

I originally was not sure if they would be forgiving enough for a 4 iron so I got the HMB, now I am second guessing myself. 

FInd a 22* or 23* hybrid  you like and I expect you will get more use out of that than any 4 iron or 4-iron-like club.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Tingting said:

If you are ordering just be mindful that they are back ordered. I ordered mine 8/31 and they said that heads are backordered. When i went to the website it said not available until December

Screenshot_20200925-212245_Chrome.jpg

Mizuno’s website is the exact opposite of Mizuno irons in terms of quality and consistency. 

• Thanks 1

If you like... an iron close to a blade but gi iron level forgivness... very workable when needed without making intended straight shots to go tooo crooked... accurate with great turf interaction... soft as possibly can be throughout the set but still informative on strike location... doesnt sting hands. Best set of irons ive owned hands down and ive owned 9 different sets. 

I was fit for MMC after playing MP5 and loved those irons.  I was curious about distance/forgiveness even though I seriously thought MP5 was phenomenal.

I'm not a big dynamic golf guy just never like the weight/feel.  I tested many shafts:  LZ, Modus (105,120), C Taper etc.  There is a downside as one other post has shown my four iron BO til second week in October...from end of August.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I switched from Callaway CF16 Apex Pro.  After realizing MB for the whole set wouldn’t work, I got the MMC in 5,6,7.  I went with my same shaft, KBS tour 130.  I love these things.  At address you can hardly tell it’s not a MB.  Very little visible offset which I love.  Forgiveness is all you could want.  My only regret is I opted for the HMB 4 iron and that was not necessary.  The MMC would have been plenty forgiving.  

• 1 month later...

Got mine a few weeks ago and did a trackman session Saturday. Has anyone bent them back to 4 degrees gaps. My only complaint is the 5 degree gaps at the bottom of the bag spreads things out to much and then leaves everything overlapping at the top. Otherwise i love them. Combined with the $taper they have that Mizuno feel.

4383132A-F24A-4666-873A-D864BC732319.png

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, tw7878 said:

Hello All

I did an iron fitting last year and was close on 3 irons - MP20 MMC T100 and Ping I210 

The 210 didn't appear nice to my eye

The T100 I've been using them all year but never really liked the Ap2 and Don't like the T100 that much.

Looking for some MMC reviews before I make the plunge.  Any negatives?

In my fitting I was split between the T100 and the MMCs.   The numbers were nearly identical for me.   The deciding factor was the KBS $tapers for no up charge.  

fast forward a season - I do not regret my decision at all.  Love my MMCs - may be my favorite set up that I have ever played.  

good luck

• Like 1
Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

10 minutes ago, mojo33543 said:

Do anyone notice a fade bias on 7 to 4 due to the tungsten plug on the toe?

No. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

23 hours ago, mojo33543 said:

Do anyone notice a fade bias on 7 to 4 due to the tungsten plug on the toe?

As stated above, no.

These irons are great. I’ve been in Mizunos for almost 25 years and they’re more forgiving than you’d ever expect given the performance. That said, I’m moving away from them for two reasons. First, I’m finding more bounce is better for me. Second, I came down in weight class for shafts with these and now I’ve found a better bend profile for me. Neither of those is a negative against the irons. 

@Lou Loomis talked these things up so much to me that I couldn't ignore them anymore... LOL  I just picked up a set in a trade for some 2019 T100.  I will start by saying, I really enjoyed the T100 but wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be by the AMT shaft I once had lots of success with.  Though, the heads were really nice looking and pretty forgiving with a softer feel than expected from Titleist.  I decided I wanted something similar to them with maybe a touch more forgiveness and the MP20 MMC are exactly that.  The top line of the MMC is blade-like thin and the sole is the best Mizuno sole I have ever tried... where most others have just grabbed the turf, this model just glides through.  Also, could be down to the $Taper shaft I have but these things just want to fly straight, so when I actually get distances dialed in, I think these could be some absolute stand outs.  My swing is total road kill right now and I feel like these irons are doing everything in their power to save me.  Really looking forward to putting it all together again to see the true potential.

• Like 4

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I'm a huge fan of the MMCs.  Definitely in my top three irons I have played in my golfing lifetime.  Looks, feel and performance are amazing.

I also have an older set of 919 Tours which I have recently put back in the bag for a change.  I have been hitting my irons a little straighter with the 919s but I think it's due to the LZ shaft.  Slightly stiffer than the Modus120 I have in the MMCs.   Won't be letting go of the MMCs though, and likely they will come out of the closet for another stint in the bag.  Would highly recommend both irons.  Little bit of a Mizuno homer, but they make quality product.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

Anyone on here try the new 225s? Could use a little more forgiveness compared to MMCs

I went from the MMCs to the 223s and can say that there is a noticeable gain in forgiveness in the 4-7 irons due to the pocket cavity and wider sole. The 225s will be even more forgiving and longer I would imagine.  

Ping G430 10.5 Tensei White 65S

Ping G425 17.5 Tensei Blue 75S

Mizuno MP-H5 "Hitogami" Modus 105X

Mizuno 223 4-P Modus 115X

RTX6 50/54/58 DG TI S400

Ping PLD Anser 2

Titleist ProV1X