2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Stronger Players - 7 wood?

Sabzor

I have been tinkering with this spot in my bag a lot this year. I tried an M5 5 wood for a short while, and hit it too far so I sold it. I tried a Rogue 7 wood, which I liked and played for a longer while. Then I found a Mint 20* Super Hybrid for a good deal and the shot versatility is what won me over. Still that great distance but I can flight the ball much better. Also, I think the shorter shaft (I play it at 40") has helped my accuracy. I think I've found my club!

Edited by vstensrud23

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

‘22 Phantom X7 or '00 WH Rossie

Pro V1

Hell yes, I cannot stand driving irons out of the rough or really ever off the deck, and I’m sure like a lot of you here hybrids are a hook machine under pressure.  The 7 wood really does both off the deck and tee and it is fantastic. The best move I made this year was dumping the 3 wood (I did not need a club going 285) so I am now strong TS2 5 wood at 17 degrees going around 265-70 at 41.75” and a TS2 7 wood at 21 degrees going 245-50 and 41.25”. 

I haven’t gotten the 7 wood yet but that along with new JPX 921 Tours has me more excited for gear than I have in a long time. I’ll probably keep the driving iron around for the windy days. End of the day I love the driving iron but the contact needed sometimes at any skill level can be hard, little mis hit and you’re losing a lot of yardage, that never happens with the 7 wood. 

Edited by Wdwfreak

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Seems like 7 woods come into vogue every so often (I'm thinking of the Callaway Heavenwood and other variants over the years). 

There are some courses in the Southeast that feature long thick Bermuda rough, and it's popular among members of these courses to carry a 7 wood as the ideal tool to advance the ball from a lie in that nasty stuff. Other than that it seems they are rarely spotted in the wild. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

51 minutes ago, Wdwfreak said:

Hell yes, I cannot stand driving irons out of the rough or really ever off the deck, and I’m sure like a lot of you here hybrids are a hook machine under pressure.  The 7 wood really does both off the deck and tee and it is fantastic. The best move I made this year was dumping the 3 wood (I did not need a club going 285) so I am now strong TS2 5 wood at 17 degrees going around 265-70 at 41.75” and a TS2 7 wood at 21 degrees going 245-50 and 41.25”. 

I haven’t gotten the 7 wood yet but that along with new JPX 921 Tours has me more excited for gear than I have in a long time. I’ll probably keep the driving iron around for the windy days. End of the day I love the driving iron but the contact needed sometimes at any skill level can be hard, little mis hit and you’re losing a lot of yardage, that never happens with the 7 wood. 

Agreed   I never grew comfortable with hybrid because I would hook so much with hybrid.  I retired the driving iron as versatility was much better with 7 wood. 

For me, the 7 wood was that club I was looking for all these years. I swing about the same as most guys here, 115-ish, and a couple years ago I put a 913f 7 wood with an Aldila RIP Phenom 8tx  in the bag and it quickly became the most reliable club in my bag in an area of the bag that was my weakest! I've recently upgraded to a Callaway Rogue 7 wood but haven't taken it to the course yet. May let this Titlest 913f ride out it's glory days the rest of this year and make the change over the winter. 

• Like 1

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to B1), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW & SW - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), DG TI S400

LW - Titleist Vokey SM8 60L, DG TI S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

On 9/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, nitram said:

As I slow down in SS (108-110) I have struggled to find the right club for the 200-210 gap. I've tried the 4-iron, 21-25** hybrid, and the 21* 7WD. Thru trial and error and just flat out playing numerous rounds I've decided to go with the 7WD. For my game it's proven to be more reliable off the tee, from the fairway, medium to light rough, and even as a chipper around the green. 

Now to decide if testing a 9WD to replace the 5-iron is worth the test...

22* hybrid too long?

could do TEE CBX 119 or TEE EXS Pro (depending how small you like hybrid head to be)

nvrmnd - didn't see that you settled on the 7 wood for the 200-210 slot

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I have been toying around with the idea of going driver, 5w (Cobra F6 baffler) and then getting a 2i for sole use off a tee.  If its not a driver off the tee, its a 2i, and then the 5w for shots into par 5s.  

Wild times my friends, wild times...

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Love my R15 5HL. Standard specs are 20.5* and to me, looks open on the standard setting.  I managed to get an OG BB 93X with a TM tip, moved it 1 click closed and it plays at 41.5". Perfect flight and really doesn't balloon at all. I agree with other posts where it really comes down to finding the right shaft/head combo you want.

SIM 10.5 | EXS Pro 18

Apex UW 21 | Pro Mini 24

T100 5-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

It all boils down to what you like to hit and your yardage gaps. I played a 7 wood for about 7-8 years. I really liked it. It was my 225 club and like others said, high and stopped quickly. Recently I got rid of it and went 3W + 5W + 4H and like this setup too. I'm getting older and only swing driver around 100 so the 5W at 230 and 4H at 210 gap pretty well for me. 

19-21 degrees is still a 5 wood in my eyes, but I've been getting on very well with my Titleist TS2  set at 20.25 degrees. Play it with either a X100 at 41" for control or an Aldila Tour Blue 95X if I want to hit it into the stratosphere to get some quick stop on the greens. So far very impressed.

I've been trying to tune up a 818 H2 21 degree to compete but it goes abit shorter (good on some courses) and a Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 3 iron for the links, but struggling to find the right shaft (and swing) to get any consistency at the moment. 

I've posted a lot in 7W forums over the years, BIG FAN

The club I have below is perfect, and it was hard to find with the equipment rush going on with COVID.

Anyways, I am a stronger golfer for a 52 year old.  107-109 with driver with max carry at a fitting of 274 last Fall.

Normal driver carry 260-265 in Toronto area in warmer weather

5w bent down to 16.5* carries 235-240 but can run onto a green from 275 out of right lie in the rough

7w carries exactly 225, I have mine turned down one degree to 19.5*

Turning down stronger lofts is great, as you know, as the face opens a little and helps with the anti-lefts

Other points:

- 7w goes higher than 3h

- 7w is less prone to hook 

- 7w is a longer shaft and is great for guys with bad backs like myself

- 7w is great off the tee on tight par 4's and on long par 3's

- my favorites over the years ...  PINGTiSi tec, Titleist 913f, G25, G400 (current)

- 7w is an even more powerful weapon when you back it up with a 4h as these clubs offer many different shot options ... out of rough, working the ball, chipping, elite punch outs etc

- having adjustable lofts is great as you can tweak them for courses, I know guys that do this for par 3's at larger events

As someone said above, 7w is just the 5w I carried for years and it's a club you need

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 9/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

If a player tends to be on the lower end of delivered/dynamic loft with fairway woods, the seven wood can be a wonderful tool. This is true particularly for a player that delivers less loft AND tends to struggle with hybrids.

Sharp observation. DJ is a massive delofter for instance. 

If you're high swing speed anything with a low CG should be off your list. And this is most modern fairways. Once you get into the 19-20 degree loft range a low deep CG is going to fly way too high for my comfortability, regardless of how low the spin is. In fact the low spin is what is messing up your gaps. I'm kind of searching for this club myself right now, anyone know of a higher CG 5/7 wood, something low launch, high spin sort of profile?

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

When I was still swinging hard: 10.5 driver, 16.5 4W, 20 and 23 hybrids, 5 iron.

It all gapped out well for me. 3W once again was too long and 4W was a little more useable height and distance to go into a par 5 with.

Back to a more game improvement style 15º 3W now, as someone else mentioned, for its easier launch. Just use the lofts which give you the launch and spin you are after. So what if its a 7W?

No one looks in your bag and cares (until you hit a nice shot with it.)

• Like 1

I grew up with 7 woods and when hybrids became popular I tried them ALL but eventually learned I hate them...the point of that place in your bag is to be able to launch something from the cabbage and I found hybrids are too long heel to toe and because of that have a hook bias.  7 woods on the other hand are shorter and stumpier more like the 'bulldog' wooden woods of yore and cut through that junk a little better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtg said:

If you're high swing speed anything with a low CG should be off your list. And this is most modern fairways. Once you get into the 19-20 degree loft range a low deep CG is going to fly way too high for my comfortability, regardless of how low the spin is. In fact the low spin is what is messing up your gaps. I'm kind of searching for this club myself right now, anyone know of a higher CG 5/7 wood, something low launch, high spin sort of profile?

Callaway 5 deep ... thank me later

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

How about a 22 degree ping hybrid.  Does that count? Been at it for 2 seasons now.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, mtg said:

I don’t think that’s an absolute.  I can see 120 plus still with driver and I launch everything low.  Low low. Irons as well.  But I know what you’re saying.  I play with a lot of fast younger guys who hit irons almost backwards if the wind blows.  My brain simply sees everything in a lower window.  I can go upstairs if I want. But much more control down low.  Which is why I prefer a very low VCOG for everything. Irons too.  It irks me that they have made all modern irons  with a Vcog that to me seems 3 grooves up the face.    Which is why I prefer ping woods honestly.  Cg is very low with a shallow face for easy launch.  

the ping hybrid at 22 for me is so multi talented.  I can hit a hard low bullet fade as a stock shot with it. But a high draw to a par 5 as welll.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have been playing 4-wood and 7-wood as my two fairways (then, a 22* #4 hybrid) for a couple of years now.  Occasionally, if I am going to be playing a shorter golf course, I replace the 4 and 7 woods with a single 17.5* "strong 5-wood", and carry two hybrids or a hybrid and a "utility iron" with 21* of loft.  I'm 71 years old, a 13-handicap, and hit driver about 235 to 245 yards, with the occasional 265-yard+ drive.  A "standard" 3-wood (e.g. - 14.5* to 15* loft) carries about 230-235 yards for me, while I hit a 16.5* 4-wood about 220-225 yards, that strong 5-wood about 215 yards, and my 21* 7-wood (true loft = 20* to 20.5*) a bit more than 200 yards.  My average driver clubhead speed is in the 94 to 96 MPH range, and I still play stiff shafts in all of my clubs (I tried R-flex shafts a couple of years ago, but I had control problems and hit too many right-to-left shots with the softer shafts, as I have an aggressive swing).  I also play 80+ gram shafts in all of my fairway woods and 85+ gram shafts in my hybrids.  I find that most guys my age, and even younger than me, are using sub-70 gram shafts in their fairway woods, but this is also problematic with my aggressive swing and quick tempo -- until two years ago, I had a 100+ MPH driver and 3-wood swing speed.

If you get the shaft flex and weight right, a 7-wood can be a great club for stronger golfers. I tend to use mine for second shots on many par-5 holes and I even use it off the tee on short (300 to 325 yard) par-4s and on 200-yard par-3 holes (we still have a few of them in this area, even from the white and/or gold tees). 

Edited by dmael

4 hours ago, mtg said:

If you are looking for a higher CG 5-wood, the Tour Edge Exotics CBX/CBX119 or their new EXS Pro fairways should be ideal.  Also, the Exotics CB Pro and CB Pro2 from a few years ago (2015-16, I believe) fit that description perfectly.

Edited by dmael
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t think that’s an absolute.  I can see 120 plus still with driver and I launch everything low.  Low low. Irons as well.  But I know what you’re saying.  I play with a lot of fast younger guys who hit irons almost backwards if the wind blows.  My brain simply sees everything in a lower window.  I can go upstairs if I want. But much more control down low.  Which is why I prefer a very low VCOG for everything. Irons too.  It irks me that they have made all modern irons  with a Vcog that to me seems 3 grooves up the face.    Which is why I prefer ping woods honestly.  Cg is very low with a shallow face for easy launch.  

the ping hybrid at 22 for me is so multi talented.  I can hit a hard low bullet fade as a stock shot with it. But a high draw to a par 5 as welll.  

No I could see that. Meat of the curve though I think you're better off elevating with loft and controlling flight with CG. At least in that higher lofted FW, which will just go for days if it you get a low spinner. Or blow off the map if it gets way up above the treeline. 

Totally know what you mean about iron VCOGs. I've been gaming some older clubs lately, currently have MP30s in the bag. Wow what a difference. I love it in the 5-7 irons, but I am finding I want a bit lower window in the short irons. They'd be amazing with a balata but the new ball wants to launch so high. Granted I've only been playing ProV1x, maybe the Bridgestone Tiger ball would be the ticket.  

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

I find the Fw are just so more versatile.  If I choke up on the 7wood can get more on top of the ball and play it like a hybrid.   Great thing is that I can produce a controlling cut with a 7 wood    The hybrids with the lie and loft just wasn’t right for me and was hooking the ball with the same swing as my FW

Edited by harolease
  • Like 2

This is a spot in my bag I've never felt fully confident with. I played the typical 15*|18* FW combo for awhile, then replaced my 5W with an 18* GAPR Mid for a few months. The GAPR was a one trick pony for me though (off the tee only) and my 5W has since gone back in the bag. My driver SS is usually between 105-110 but I cannot for the life of me elevate my 3W, so it is just eating up a spot in the bag. I have a 21* M4 coming in next week which I'm excited to test! However, the top of my bag will be Driver, 5W, 5HL lol. 

I currently game P790's, and my 4 iron's stock loft is 20.5*, so I'm interested to see what flight windows and carry distance is like between the two. All things being equal, I would expect the 5HL to fly about 10-15 yards past my 4I (provided there isn't a stiff breeze). 

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I deliver lower loft, back in my days after college I added a TM 300 tour 5 wood.  It eventually went away.  I started playing a driving iron because I was playing a ton of shorter courses.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and because I still haven’t found a 3 wood I like, I added a Titleist TS2 16.5 (4 wood) due to the fact that the only other person with 3 wood issues worse than mine is @Duffner's Waggleand it cured him.  I was having hooking trouble with my 17* hybrid as well, so after seeing this thread I ordered a Callaway Epic 7 wood and swapped out the shaft.  I was hoping it would give me a good bridge between my 4 iron slot and my new 4 wood slot.

Yesterday was the first trial.  I only was able to hit it twice on course and 10 times on the range, but the results were actually very good for a first time out.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 9/24/2020 at 4:43 PM, me05501 said:

Seems like 7 woods come into vogue every so often (I'm thinking of the Callaway Heavenwood and other variants over the years). 

There are some courses in the Southeast that feature long thick Bermuda rough, and it's popular among members of these courses to carry a 7 wood as the ideal tool to advance the ball from a lie in that nasty stuff. Other than that it seems they are rarely spotted in the wild. 

I think 7w are becoming popular now because fairways have become so hot that distances on 3w are too much. If you are trying to gap correctly than 5w is a better choice so for some they will inevitably need a 7w to achieve correct gapping. 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

45 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I deliver lower loft, back in my days after college I added a TM 300 tour 5 wood.  It eventually went away.  I started playing a driving iron because I was playing a ton of shorter courses.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and because I still haven’t found a 3 wood I like, I added a Titleist TS2 16.5 (4 wood) due to the fact that the only other person with 3 wood issues worse than mine is @Duffner's Waggleand it cured him.  I was having hooking trouble with my 17* hybrid as well, so after seeing this thread I ordered a Callaway Epic 7 wood and swapped out the shaft.  I was hoping it would give me a good bridge between my 4 iron slot and my new 4 wood slot.

Yesterday was the first trial.  I only was able to hit it twice on course and 10 times on the range, but the results were actually very good for a first time out.  

That’s exactly what I have been using as my fairway wood setup for the last two seasons.  My 4-wood is a 16.5* Tour Edge Exotics model, and I play an Epic Flash 7-wood set to 20* loft.  The next club in my bag is either a 22* 4-hybrid or a strong-lofted 5-iron (21.5* loft), depending on the course that I am playing.  This setup works well for me and covers all of my yardage gaps from 180 to 225-230 yards.

32 minutes ago, Stetson said:

I think 7w are becoming popular now because fairways have become so hot that distances on 3w are too much. If you are trying to gap correctly than 5w is a better choice so for some they will inevitably need a 7w to achieve correct gapping. 

On the rare occasions when I do not carry a 4-wood, I put a 17.5* 5-wood in my bag, and drop the 7-wood. When I do this, I carry two hybrids (19* and 22*).  With the 17.5* 5-wood in my bag, I have no need for a 3 or 4 wood, as I hit the strong 5-wood almost as far as the 3 or 4 wood.