2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Would you pay $750 or more for a shaft? Autoflex

mosesgolf

My main problem with TXG is they don't point out things that are obvious to people with some launch monitor background and in fact they actually use clearly erroneous data to drive interest , ie the fact that foresights distance algorithm is severely jacked for low spin shots. Matt is essentially never going to hit it 350 on a flat course at sea level, but they post numbers all the time where he is. 

The drive at 5:15 of their recent autoflex video had the following stats: 176 ball speed,  13.7 launch, 1264 backspin. Their quad reported 336 carry, 374 total. 

Put those numbers into flightscope with hard surface and you get 302 carry, 337 total. on a medium surface its 314 total. At best its 37 yards off and up to 60 yards off. 

It's a huge difference, but they use it to sell clicks. No one is flying it 335 with 176 ball speed under normal conditions. I don't understand how someone can be a "leading fitter" and not make these basic things known. They also try to use things like what quad displays as "efficiency" and act like it means anything when based on the way quads measure it, clubhead speed is never going to be correct, resulting in poor smashes. I guess it's internally consistent but if you were an random person with no experience you'd think " why do these good golfers supposedly get 1.4 smash on every day" when it has to do with where foresight measures CHS. 

Edited by pinhigh27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

TXG has done 2 Youtube videos on the Autoflex.  The 2nd video was even better than the first.  So if you could pick up a legit 10-15 yards, swing harder, and maintain or even improve accuracy would you pay $750 for a shaft.  For me YES!!!!!!!  Heck I paid apprrox $350 for the Ventus Velocore and it was worth it for me.  More yards, swing harder, and not spray it.  It looks like Autoflex has that and more.  I for one am looking to see what happens with this shaft going forward.  IMO this shaft appears to be a game changer.

save £750 and use that money for lessons. shafts clubs etc can only do so much. its ultimately down to the individual swinging the club. people get hooked on new technology yet ignore the most important part.

42 minutes ago, Whited107x said:

save £750 and use that money for lessons. shafts clubs etc can only do so much. its ultimately down to the individual swinging the club. people get hooked on new technology yet ignore the most important part.

Well I’m a scratch golfer 3 out of my last 4 rounds at my home course have been under par.  I can save a stroke with more fairways hit and perhaps score another bird by being 10-15 yards longer.   I’d pay $750 for that. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

7 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Since you have apparently taken your eye off the ball, the Q at hand is "Would you pay $750 or more for a shaft? Autoflex".

I would not pay $750 for a shaft.

Also, I agree with the guy who earlier questioned trying to swing a soft and lightweight driver shaft while also within the bag are relatively heavy and stout iron shafts.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

51 minutes ago, Whited107x said:

Tell it !

1 hour ago, Whited107x said:

So at what point does technology start to matter in your opinion? When should someone start to take an interest in how technology help their game?

I have been golfing about 20 years and I am not sure I have an answer for this. When I took up the game I was fanatic, took weekly lesson and got fitted etc. Looking back I am not sure the fitting mattered much early on, but as I play pretty standard off the shelf specs, basic fitting has never been am important factor for me. But given the fitting was the same price as about 2 lessons, not really a big deal.

I would say I have wasted more money on lessons than gear over the years. Finding the right pro for you is not easily done. 

maybe my thinking and ideas is no longer valid, but ONE shaft or club in the bag, can make just as much issues as it makes improvements....even if that club works good.

We hardly ever see a plæayer where the full bag is fitted correct, and all players knows the phenomena "the swing of the day". If we have a "mixed bag", we will have days where some clubs works better than the others, next round it can be totally opposite what clubs that woks and what clubs that dont.

When we go to the xtreme like her and use total/shaft weight to gain club speed, we will very often go below the players ability to make a good impact on a consistent basis. The club is the players "dancing partner" and non of us deadly players has a swing so good that we aint "leaning on" our Dancing partner at some stages in the swing. That means weight is also a stabilizing factor, but if you actually can play without "support" from your club, go ahead....

But now im back to where i started, because the question is now, how is resistance and total weight in the rest of your bag? Does a shaft like the Autoflex fit in at all, or does it push you in direction of a full bag change?

I simply dont find it "natural" or beneficial, to play a shaft like this, combined with DG X100 as irons to put it on the edge, but the shaft might do wonders for some player, but think about ALL strokes you swing on a round.....we move the swing we use from one club to the other, so what happens if the clubs becomes "very different" to each other? can we expect both to work good the same day then?

Again, that shaft might make wonders for some players, but most will be better off by a good club fitting in general, and if your are the DIY type of player, you can make wonders out of the club you got, almost for free by following this easy DIY driver tune up. Some of them who did claimes they gained more than 30 yards, but they did not change the head or shaft, it was not needed.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

9 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

maybe my thinking and ideas is no longer valid, but ONE shaft or club in the bag, can make just as much issues as it makes improvements....even if that club works good.

We hardly ever see a plæayer where the full bag is fitted correct, and all players knows the phenomena "the swing of the day". If we have a "mixed bag", we will have days where some clubs works better than the others, next round it can be totally opposite what clubs that woks and what clubs that dont.

When we go to the xtreme like her and use total/shaft weight to gain club speed, we will very often go below the players ability to make a good impact on a consistent basis. The club is the players "dancing partner" and non of us deadly players has a swing so good that we aint "leaning on" our Dancing partner at some stages in the swing. That means weight is also a stabilizing factor, but if you actually can play without "support" from your club, go ahead....

But now im back to where i started, because the question is now, how is resistance and total weight in the rest of your bag? Does a shaft like the Autoflex fit in at all, or does it push you in direction of a full bag change?

I simply dont find it "natural" or beneficial, to play a shaft like this, combined with DG X100 as irons to put it on the edge, but the shaft might do wonders for some player, but think about ALL strokes you swing on a round.....we move the swing we use from one club to the other, so what happens if the clubs becomes "very different" to each other? can we expect both to work good the same day then?

Again, that shaft might make wonders for some players, but most will be better off by a good club fitting in general, and if your are the DIY type of player, you can make wonders out of the club you got, almost for free by following this easy DIY driver tune up. Some of them who did claimes they gained more than 30 yards, but they did not change the head or shaft, it was not needed.

Yes that is exactly my concerns i raised as well, how functional is it during a round. Its one thing to get in a groove hitting dozens of balls on a simulator but a totally different animal switching back and forth from light and weak and strong and stiff constantly throughout your round.

Edited by Red4282

5 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Yes that is exactly my concerns i raised as well, how functional is it during a round. Its one thing to get in a groove hitting dozens of balls on a simulator but a totally different animal switching back and forth from light and weak and strong and stiff constantly throughout your round.

For years we have said "play length" is the most important fitting parameter, but that was never true, the most important for scoring is how the bag as a sum is buildt up or whats called set make up.

A bag with "mixed" clubs is exactly that, and it will also play like that, so the better the bag is matched to the player as a sum, the easier it will be for the player to put the right swing on them, he should not have to adjust his swing for 13 different full swing clubs, or 12 thats matched and 1 outsider that works good when you have "warmed up" with a bucket of balls with that club, we dont play good golf that way.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

10 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

For years we have said "play length" is the most important fitting parameter, but that was never true, the most important for scoring is how the bag as a sum is buildt up or whats called set make up.

A bag with "mixed" clubs is exactly that, and it will also play like that, so the better the bag is matched to the player as a sum, the easier it will be for the player to put the right swing on them, he should not have to adjust his swing for 13 different full swing clubs, or 12 thats matched and 1 outsider that works good when you have "warmed up" with a bucket of balls with that club, we dont play good golf that way.

Yes, absolutely correct. And this is why it is essentially worthless to "get fit" for clubs by making consecutive swings with a single club.

On the golf course a player moves from driver to swinging a 7-iron to a putter to a hybrid to a wedge to a putter again etc....

Any productive "fitting" should replicate on course conditions, not have a player make dozens of consecutive driver swings or 6-iron swings.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Im about as anti technology as it comes, but this thread is ridiculous. If you are familiar with the TXG, you clearly see he has gains from this shaft, and thats not gains from a wonky simulator formula. Gains With ball speed. Yea he hooked a bunch in the beginning but after the tweaks  to the heads, his dispersion was as good if not better than his usual, and he was swinging out of his shoes. Its not a miracle product by any means, yea go get lessons, but if you gained 10 yards from a shaft AND improved dispersion, you would be stupid to think there isnt something unique going on here. It certainly goes against traditional wisdom.Id like to see them test it against another cheap ol 50 gram weak shaft tho. See if the traditional wisdom is a myth or if theres something different with this product.

golf isn’t played on a simulator. Take 1500 spin to the course and tell me how it works out. He is going to spray it all over the place. Is that ball speed even that high for him, I seem to recall him hitting similar ball speed in the past ? The exaggerated distances are from how foresight overcalculates distance on low spin shots , which has a way bigger effect than a few mph he may have added. 

he isn’t hitting it anywhere close to 370 in real life. 330 on a really good ball on flat ground with no bs. 

Just now, pinhigh27 said:

golf isn’t played on a simulator. Take 1500 spin to the course and tell me how it works out. He is going to spray it all over the place. Is that ball speed even that high for him, I seem to recall him hitting similar ball speed in the past ? The exaggerated distances are from how foresight overcalculates distance on low spin shots , which has a way bigger effect than a few mph he may have added. 

he isn’t hitting it anywhere close to 370 in real life. 330 on a really good ball on flat ground with no bs. 

I understand that, as does ian, and thats why you see him trying to loft up or move weights to get the spin up. He has hit 180 before, but not consistently, he lives in the low 170s normally. Also, low spin doesnt make you “spray it all over the place”.

29 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

The only caveat i would say, is while with the waggle test it looks incredible weak, and you can see how much it flexes,  everyone says it does not feel that way when you swing it. Hence the “autoflex” name. It somehow feels like it stiffens up the more speed you put on it. I have not swing it, but thats just what i have heard. Now being lightweight is something else, which could be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

I understand that, as does ian, and thats why you see him trying to loft up or move weights to get the spin up. He has hit 180 before, but not consistently, he lives in the low 170s normally. Also, low spin doesnt make you “spray it all over the place”.

Did you watch the video or the newest one ? Do you see how much curve the ball has ? It absolutely makes you spray it. 1200 spin is not playable. When you toe it the ball will literally go 200 yards for him and fall out of the sky 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Did you watch the video or the newest one ? Do you see how much curve the ball has ? It absolutely makes you spray it. 1200 spin is not playable. When you toe it the ball will literally go 200 yards for him and fall out of the sky 

yes i watched both.

No, low spin does not directly cause bigger dispersion left to right. Spin axis determines this, To a degree and actually a higher spin rate with the same axis would result in it further offline. The one exception would be gear effect. Gear effects seem to be stronger on low spin shots and in my opinion that has more to do with moi. Low spin can cause inconsistent carry distances, you need a certain amount of spin to keep its “lift”. 

14 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

I suggest ignoring everything the two charlatans who run TXG are trying to sell you.

People watch TXG for what they are. I wouldn’t buy a shaft blindly because of what either Matt or Ian did with it, but I like the guys channel a lot. Very informative and even try to help golfers with shaft choices in their live casts. 

14 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Posing as highly skilled players when neither Ian or Matt breaks 80,

12 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Matt also isn't in the golf industry anymore, but was a Class A pro.

12 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

What are you babbling about now? I guarantee you that if Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods (or any Tour pro you like) were posting messages on Golfwrx they would wholeheartedly agree that learning how to properly swing a club is how one improves their game.

What is HE babbling about ? :classic_laugh:

I wonder if you really ARE @LICC. He'd be exactly the kind of guy to think in advance and create a 2nd user ID for when the first inevitably got banned.

Of course he mostly trolled the Rules Forum but,,,,,,,,,, :classic_ninja:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X