2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Carts more popular than walking nowadays...used to be the other way 'round.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:44 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Today I was paying for my round and the guy behind the register handed me a cart key and said "sorry, habit-nobody walks". It got me thinking. ...

When did perceptions change? 

Thoughts?

My thoughts are things began to change during the flurry of golf course development that began in the late 80's and carried through to the early 2000's.   During this time, a big shift occurred where most new courses were being built as part of a resort or real estate development.   The focus became selling hotel rooms or houses, so the visual aesthetic was favored over the actual quality of the golf.   Dramatic settings, "signature" holes and eye-popping WOW features as well as marketing high slope ratings became in vogue.   Routings for these courses in the case of resort layouts, went for hole placements utilizing the most dramatic settings (tee up high, fairway below) and real estate routings stretched out to isolated corridors through the housing.    These types of course are by nature, difficult to walk.   At the same time, green fee pricing became "cart included."

I like to walk and I am definitely the minority.   Still some walking culture left at the muncipal courses (some of the few places left that offer a green fee and a extra cart fee).  

Also refreshing to see places like Bandon Dunes etc. come online, but I don't think golf will ever return to walking for the masses.  As someone else mentioned, there is cart revenue to be made.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 7:01 AM, jordan2240 said:

My push cart, like most, has a drink holder, and my bag, like most, has a cooler compartment that can fit a 6-pack.  Of course, someone who might not golf all that often, as I didn't when I was a working stiff, might not want to invest in such, though the savings of walking vs riding over the course of a year would help pay for a nice cart.  But to each his own.  I don't think they know what they are missing though if they've never given walking a try.  And if you enjoy the socializing part of golfing, walking definitely gives you more chat time.

I agree with that: I made a new friend a couple of weeks back when we both walked. Super nice guy; he grew up a few miles from where my brother lives out in Oakland, and is also a cyclist.  If we had both been riding we may not have made the same connection. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, teejaywhy said:

While true in theory, fact is, the growth of cart usage might be correlated in the ever-increasing time it takes to play a round of golf.

If you want to say carts crowd up the course sure. If you had to walk it might cut out a good chunk of people from ever playing, but the more players the better. Not a chance you can hit a public course on a summer weekend in my area and expect to walk. 

On 11/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, pktaske said:

Saying you and the folks you play with are proficient at walking and play a fast round is one thing. Saying that, all things being equal, walking is faster than astute cart play is an untruth.

I play as a walk on single a lot. When in a cart, I can't think of any single instance where a walker beats me to the next tee box unless it's a side by side hole (and even then its close). In fact, I'm constantly passing them on the paths on courses that are set up more linear. If I wasn't waiting for the group in front of me, I'd be in front of them 2-3 holes minimum by the turn.

Beginners are a mess either way. I see them all walking together to go look for one guys ball then have to trapse back to their own.

I walk almost exclusively.  At my home course - I can't think of a single instance where someone in a cart beats me to the tee box.  Lolly gag from the green to the cart.  Take 45 seconds to write down the score while parked next to the green then drive to the tee. Get to the next tee - check the phone.  Just general slowness to get the club.  Need to find a tee in the bag. etc...

Every hole.  

• Like 1

Nothing really against carts or the folks that use them.

That said, I do wish more would give walking/pushing an honest try. I think many who ride would find it surprisingly enjoyable.

Since I walk 95% of the time, and most of those times as a walk-on single, I have run into lots of golfers who were introduced to the game using carts, and have never really given walking a honest shot.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JPLosman7 said:

I walk almost exclusively.  At my home course - I can't think of a single instance where someone in a cart beats me to the tee box.  Lolly gag from the green to the cart.  Take 45 seconds to write down the score while parked next to the green then drive to the tee. Get to the next tee - check the phone.  Just general slowness to get the club.  Need to find a tee in the bag. etc...

Every hole.  

Yeah, if anything drives slow play, it is lollygagging.  I usually write down my score when walking: I can't do that in a cart.  Getting clubs is much easier: My bag is always with me.  I played with 2 "bros" over the weekend; they shared a cart and I was waiting for them typically, even though one was a pretty good golfer.  Obviously, somebody who was trying to play fast can go faster in a cart if they happen to be a good golfer, as playing a bunch of strokes or searching for balls wipes out any time savings for carts.  

As a kid when we walked (which was the only option), the course was usually pretty empty and 18-hole rounds never took 4 hours.  I figure that I casually walk around 18-minute miles while carrying a bag: that is 2:24 of walking per round if 8 miles of walking.  If I were playing solo, I would add between 30-60 seconds per shot depending on the situation, which brings me in line with that 3:30 figure.  

I could play the same course in 3 hours or less with a cart, solo, but playing a 3:30 round isn't holding anyone else up, and I won't be playing that fast with others as 45 seconds on the tee box becomes 2 minutes. 

This morning I walked the par 60 course (just over 5 miles) in 2:05.  Nobody was out there and I played solo.  Even though the Par 60 course is short and easy, and most people only play 9 holes (par 30), 80% of people use a cart. As was said earlier, walking a course is not really a part of golf for people these days.  It is good for courses, but it makes me sad somehow; people really do miss something

• Like 1

So I pushcart in the winter and ride the rest of the year in FL, so I see what both spectrum are saying. For me it's doing what is most enjoyable. When its in the 70s or lower I enjoy walking and seeing the course that way. In the high heat and humidity, I can and have walked before but it was a whole lot less enjoyable.

As for speed I think it all comes down to does the cart rider(s) know good ready golf / "cart etiquette: if that's a word. Growing up I learned the basics course etiquette where to stand replace divots yada yada. When riding carts it was trial and error pretty much, drop me off I walk to the cart after., where to park ect ect. Maybe if we taught that along with other etiquette it may help? Then again people are going to do their thing for better or worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaltonSTL said:

If you want to say carts crowd up the course sure. If you had to walk it might cut out a good chunk of people from ever playing, but the more players the better. Not a chance you can hit a public course on a summer weekend in my area and expect to walk. 

A:  At no point have I ever said golf should be walking only.  Just responding to the sentiment that golf carts speed up the game.

B:  "... Not a chance you can hit a public course on a summer weekend in my area and expect to walk..."  Why is that?  

3 minutes ago, teejaywhy said:

A:  At no point have I ever said golf should be walking only.  Just responding to the sentiment that golf carts speed up the game.

B:  "... Not a chance you can hit a public course on a summer weekend in my area and expect to walk..."  Why is that?  

I was just over exaggerating to simplify my point. I think carts do speed up the individual group pace, but what does that do in turn allows course to shorten the gap between tee times and send a bunch of people out. 

Most courses I dont even think will let you book walking, then again I probably never look. Alot of courses a group of walkers would be the slowest on the course just based off layout not play and then the way courses jam in tee times it creates a log jam. I wouldn't mind walking here and there. 

5 hours ago, JPLosman7 said:

Every hole.  

What you are saying has nothing to do with carts vs walking, and everything to do with "general slowness".  Carts don't slow down play.  People slow down play.

• Like 1

I get plenty of cardio doing the bike and elliptical at the gym.  I like to enjoy my rounds of golf plus I have significant lower back problems that prevent me from walking the course.  With that being said,  I would still ride around in a cart even if my body was fully capable.  Not a big fan of walking especially on ground with a lot of elevation change. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, JPLosman7 said:

Every hole.  

The reason you beat them to the next tee is that everyone resets at the green and you have a short walk to the next tee. If you were walking and I was riding and I didn't have to constantly wait for you at the green...

Cart riders lollygagging, goofing off, writing down scores at the green instead of the next tee box, etc will always gum things up so I can't disagree.

This topic is becoming laughable.

Fast cart players>fast walkers>slow cart>slow walkers.

• Thanks 1

I prefer to walk, but I don't want to be bothered with my clubs. When I was younger I would walk and carry pretty much all the time. Then came the 3 wheeled push carts just in time to save my ailing back a bit. Now I find myself paying for a cart but I try to not be the driver. I'll walk as much as possible and have my clubs brought to me or something close to that. I've never played with a caddie but I imagine that would be prefect for me.

Carrying while walking isn't helping the majority of older mid/high cap golfers get better.

I've started asking walkers I'm playing with why they walk. Most mid/high folks say carts are too $$ and, even more so, its about getting in their exercise. Its a real point of pride for them to say they still walk 18. I do see their game degrade as we roll into the final 6 holes. Maybe it would do the same if they rode-I don't know. Additionally I mention things like online forums / Golfwrx to them and they just stare back quizzically.

Low caps just play well regardless.

Edited by pktaske
  • Like 1

I'll ride, drive, or walk.   Prefer to drive or walk.   Dying as a passenger would suck.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

On 11/21/2020 at 9:57 PM, ZAP said:

Cannot stand riding myself.  I have noticed that more and more people ride and that's ok with me.   I think the courses love the revenue more than anything.

Of course courses love the revenue. If you owned a business and I offered you a chance to safely increase your revenue immensely would you take it? 

On 11/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, teejaywhy said:

While true in theory, fact is, the growth of cart usage might be correlated in the ever-increasing time it takes to play a round of golf.

Just because something is correlated does not mean that is the cause. Could the increasing time of pace of play possibly be because golf courses have gotten longer in yardage and harder in difficulty through the years and people have much better at all? Handicaps have only gone down in average 2 strokes in the last 25 years according to an article published by golf digest in Feb 2017 with data from USGA.

I am torn between buying a good used and finding a project to customize. Either way it's getting paint and a few goodies. But I have seen a few on air ride and I see how that could be a cool addition.

Yes, my cart will only be for golf and will be at the club once finished. But it's still going to get touched.

<Edit> a good used gas cart is about $2500 around here. I am trying to do it for $1500, but we shall see.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Walking is just a better game period.  I can’t recall the last round I rode.  I did go to a push cart last summer. At 40 I guess I’d earned that break.  Carts just clutter the round .  I’m of course ok with anyone needing a cart for medial reasons having one.  But able bodied folks i don’t get why riding is the norm.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

At Wildwood during the winter the carts are supposed to stay on the cart path. So I end up walking quite a bit based on how far my ball is from the cart path. But even then my rate of play is better.

I played 9 this morning in about 80 minutes with a cart. It's about 2 hours walking. And that's not rushing and playing 2 balls.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

10 hours ago, lefthack said:

At Wildwood during the winter the carts are supposed to stay on the cart path. So I end up walking quite a bit based on how far my ball is from the cart path. But even then my rate of play is better.

I played 9 this morning in about 80 minutes with a cart. It's about 2 hours walking. And that's not rushing and playing 2 balls.

Is that 2 hours walking as a single on an empty course, or two hours walking in a foursome on a crowded course? I can walk a solo nine on an empty course in 75 minutes with no problem.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0