G410 or wait for the G425?

RainShadow

1 hour ago, hybrid25 said:

Although, it would be nice to have a brand new g425 Max in the bag! 😙

..or Sim2, Cobra RAD or the Callaway Epic replacement with the new JailBreak. Looks like 2021 is going to be another Year of the Drivers boys 👍👍👍

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

5 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

I have heard it said that the G 410 Max is just as forgiving as the g400 but with the addition of the movable  weight in the back. I guess the benefit is a little more bias option with the 410. If you like a driver in the neutral biased position then the 400 would probably be just as good. 

that is not accurate. The MOI was higher in the G400 Max than the G410 Plus

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

12 hours ago, KOTG said:

I used to live on the GC, I bought these from House of Golf in Bundall through Leon who I also bought my G30s through.  

Remember, asking for Forgiveness is far easier than asking for Permission 🙂

After years of begging and nagging I finally managed to get permission for a golf simulator (the recent  actual installation still caused a bit of dissent in the ranks). At  the moment my desire to stay “entire” is a lot stronger than my courage...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, MPAndreassi said:

I recently received my 410 LST and I’m hitting it a couple of yards further than the Epic SZ I was gaming before it, as well as much straighter. I think like a lot of people have said it’s hard to see a significant increase year to year or even every two-three unless you can get a better combination with a shaft change as well. 

Well, I spoke a little too soon. I got a chance to hit the 425 a bit tonight and it’s actually a little bit faster off the face than my 410. I was hovering around 171 with mine and was pushing 175+ with the 425. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

14 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

Well, I spoke a little too soon. I got a chance to hit the 425 a bit tonight and it’s actually a little bit faster off the face than my 410. I was hovering around 171 with mine and was pushing 175+ with the 425. 

Same shafts in both?  Alternate 410 and 425 or hit one then the other?  Just trying to understand the 4+ mph.  Was it on off center hits or center hits?

2 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Same shafts in both?  Alternate 410 and 425 or hit one then the other?  Just trying to understand the 4+ mph.  Was it on off center hits or center hits?

Same shaft, my Ventus Black, and those were the center strikes. Alternated back and forth. The the only knock I have about the 410 is that it’s a little on the slower side. I don’t really chase distance, but if the 425, or any of the new stuff, is going to be as stable as the 410 LST and give me 4-5 mph of ball speed I’m not going to pass it up 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

16 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

Same shaft, my Ventus Black, and those were the center strikes. Alternated back and forth. The the only knock I have about the 410 is that it’s a little on the slower side. I don’t really chase distance, but if the 425, or any of the new stuff, is going to be as stable as the 410 LST and give me 4-5 mph of ball speed I’m not going to pass it up 

I'd take 5 mph too.  Will be trying them out when available 

Ping G400 10.5 (10*) Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60 5.5 trial run

Consider going for a "fine-tuning" fitting on your current driver. Sometimes a fitter can help you retweak your driver to pick up extra yards.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

17 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Consider going for a "fine-tuning" fitting on your current driver. Sometimes a fitter can help you retweak your driver to pick up extra yards.

What?  Get the G425 with a good shaft and pick up 10 yards and justify a new driver.  Picking up 10 yards with an old driver is like kissing your sister.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I’m going to let 2021 ride with G400 backing up Mavrik Max, then pick up G425 in 2022.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

53 minutes ago, jbrunk said:

I’m going to let 2021 ride with G400 backing up Mavrik Max, then pick up G425 in 2022.

How 'un-WRX' of you!

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

20 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

How 'un-WRX' of you!

It’s true, I’ve only bought & sold two drivers in the last year (all Callaway).  I just keep coming back to G400.  Check back in six months & we’ll see if I can hold out.

• Like 1

Spring 2024

2 minutes ago, jbrunk said:

It’s true, I’ve only bought & sold two drivers in the last year (all Callaway).  I just keep coming back to G400.  Check back in six months & we’ll see if I can hold out.

I just purchased a Mav Max, so I'll probably keep that for about 5 years. That's probably the cutoff where technology beckons for a change.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

53 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

I just purchased a Mav Max, so I'll probably keep that for about 5 years. That's probably the cutoff where technology beckons for a change.

Agreed, 3-4 years at the very least.  My previous Cally was GBB Epic.  With Ping though, you always know their upgrades are meaningful.

Spring 2024

45 minutes ago, jbrunk said:

Agreed, 3-4 years at the very least.  My previous Cally was GBB Epic.  With Ping though, you always know their upgrades are meaningful.

Yes, Ping seems to be in their own world when it comes to offering a new driver. Much of their technology is only implemented only if it can be incorporated properly. Examples: The adjustable hosel is uniquely made by Ping to keep as much weight off the shaft area so it can be used in the club head for better performance. Same with the adjustable weight system they use, not using a sliding weight but a remove-and-reinsert system to alleviate the need for sliding rails. This saves weight as well for other places in the head. This is what I have read anyway. Like you say, when Ping offers a new driver for purchase, the upgrades are well thought out.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

On 1/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, ChipNRun said:

If the was someone I trusted around here, I might do that. When I got to demo new drivers I'll take my G400 and a couple of shafts with me. I know what should be optimal #s for me.

I'll be looking at the 410 LST, 425 LST, and the Titleist TSi3 that I've already Spent some time with indoors and liked with the Smoke RDX. Got pretty good #'s with that one, great dispersion, too.

Pretty happy so far with the Yellow Smoke 60. Picked up a few yards over both the old Yellow 76 and also seems to be a bit lower spin than the Atmos Blue TS 6 I tried. 

My only observations on the Yellow Smoke is that it launches higher than both the other shafts, but still seems to roll quite a bit. That might be great, but I haven't played it in the wind, and that's where the regular Yellow really shined for me.

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

3 hours ago, RainShadow said:

If the was someone I trusted around here, I might do that.

Yikes! Hopefully you can find a local, independent shop for fine-tuning.

We're lucky in StL area, the big guys are pretty reliable and well-trained.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 1/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, ChipNRun said:

Yikes! Hopefully you can find a local, independent shop for fine-tuning.

We're lucky in StL area, the big guys are pretty reliable and well-trained.

You'd think Tucson would have someone trustworthy and with an outdoor Trackman, right?

PGA SS doesn't cut it, nor Van's Golf. 

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

My only experience with the G400 line was with the LST.  I played maybe three rounds before returning it.  From then I played the M2 and M6 drivers until recently, I picked up a G410 plus with a Tensei Orange.  Love the sound of the driver, but there is absolutely no gain from my M6.  That said, I doubt you’ll have discernible gains between the G400 Max and G410, or the G425 for that matter.

This has been debated over and over, but all manufacturers have reached the max limits.  The only things that truly matter at this point are maybe acoustics and aesthetics.

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

2 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

BTW, what is the usa price for the 425?

Driver: $499

Fairway: $299

Hybrid:  $269

Crossover:  $229

[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

34 minutes ago, Sniperman said:

My only experience with the G400 line was with the LST.  I played maybe three rounds before returning it.  From then I played the M2 and M6 drivers until recently, I picked up a G410 plus with a Tensei Orange.  Love the sound of the driver, but there is absolutely no gain from my M6.  That said, I doubt you’ll have discernible gains between the G400 Max and G410, or the G425 for that matter.

This has been debated over and over, but all manufacturers have reached the max limits.  The only things that truly matter at this point are maybe acoustics and aesthetics.

I agree limits have been reached, but forgiveness hasn't.   You're hoping to get better numbers from off center hits.  That's really the only difference.  You may get a little better spin optimization.

I continue to say invest in a couple of high end shafts.  Keep the head you have.  I went from g400 lst to g410 lst, and didn't gain a bit.  I'm now focused on getting the best optimized shaft.  Ventus is my go to and trying VA Nemesys soon.  

11 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I agree limits have been reached, but forgiveness hasn't.   You're hoping to get better numbers from off center hits.  That's really the only difference.  You may get a little better spin optimization.

I continue to say invest in a couple of high end shafts.  Keep the head you have.  I went from g400 lst to g410 lst, and didn't gain a bit.  I'm now focused on getting the best optimized shaft.  Ventus is my go to and trying VA Nemesys soon.  

Isn’t MOI limit related to forgiveness?  If so, then forgiveness has also reached its limit (IMO, at least).

And you’re absolutely right, having a good shaft to match a modern driver head will likely make a bigger difference than buying the latest driver offering.  It’s probably the reason why I keep going back to my M6 with a custom aftermarket shaft.  I’ve put that club against the SIM EPIC MAVRIK and most recently the G410 plus, and not one made me think about switching.

[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

If you are hitting the G400 well, OP, I would not change.  I got to hit the 425 LST yesterday and I played the 410 LST for a bit.  Same shaft, Tour 65.... I found the 425 spin to be a little lower than the 410 LST, they sounded almost identical, and I got more ball speed from the 410 AND the 400.  I think the 425 looks the best overall, mostly because of the sole, but performance wise, I dont think you will gain much.  Ping makes a solid product, steady... you know what you're gonna get.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 hours ago, JFM628 said:

Wait, what?

I don’t get the analogy either...

IMO gaining 10yds with an old driver would be incredible, amazing... so, to compare that to what he said... ugh!

🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

5 hours ago, JFM628 said:

Wait, what?

3 hours ago, Sniperman said:

I don’t get the analogy either...

IMO gaining 10yds with an old driver would be incredible, amazing... so, to compare that to what he said... ugh!

🤦🏻‍♂️

That's what happens when you take something out of context.

"What?  Get the G425 with a good shaft and pick up 10 yards and justify a new driver.  Picking up 10 yards with an old driver is like kissing your sister."

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize