3 Wood for high handicapper?

Metro07

I slice the heck out of my driver so until I can get that ironed out I am gonna get a 3 wood. I am playing a set of Cobra F-Max Superlites now and am leaning towards a Cobra 3 wood, yeah I'm one of those guys that likes to be brand loyal, I don't know why. However, it's not set in stone. I just cancelled an order for a Cobra Big Tour 3 wood cause it was on back order and over a month away and because of that ordeal I found out that the shaft that was out of stock(Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70)and causing the backorder really wasn't the best for my skill level anyway.

I am 53 and not a long hitter so I obviously don't have a fast or even moderate swing speed. I got back into golf 5 or 6 months ago after being out for many years and was never really that good back then, I still haven't broken 100 on a real course. I'm hitting my 4 iron about 175 carry.

I'm considering the same club but with a more flexible shaft I think? Looking for any opinions, thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Metro07 said:

I slice the heck out of my driver so until I can get that ironed out I am gonna get a 3 wood. I am playing a set of Cobra F-Max Superlites now and am leaning towards a Cobra 3 wood, yeah I'm one of those guys that likes to be brand loyal, I don't know why. However, it's not set in stone. I just cancelled an order for a Cobra Big Tour 3 wood cause it was on back order and over a month away and because of that ordeal I found out that the shaft that was out of stock(Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70)and causing the backorder really wasn't the best for my skill level anyway.

I am 53 and not a long hitter so I obviously don't have a fast or even moderate swing speed. I got back into golf 5 or 6 months ago after being out for many years and was never really that good back then, I still haven't broken 100 on a real course. I'm hitting my 4 iron about 175 carry.

I'm considering the same club but with a more flexible shaft I think? Looking for any opinions, thanks in advance.

Carrying 175 on a 4i is perfectly fine, so it seems like u have no issue distance wise. I think u just need a little more practice to break 100, that’s all. 

3w is a good replacement for driver if u can hit it well. 
What flex are u currently playing? What is ur problem with the 3w right now? 
What are u looking to achieve? 

On second and honest thought, 175 may be a little generous. If I really make good contact on a full  strong swing it is a possibility, but 160 would be more consistent. My main goal is hitting the ball straight, I am not a fan of smashing to ball 300 yards. Those days are over and now my main goal is keeping it on the fairway. I don't have a 3 wood and my driver is Older King Cobra High Kick S-flex.

I'd focus on either a 4 or 5 wood honestly... and as far as forgiving goes, most Ping models will probably be helpful enough as far back as the G20 even.  Make things as easy as possible especially if you're not looking for distance.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I know you’re a Cobra guy but I swear the Ping G410 SFT is the easiest fairway wood I’ve ever hit off the deck... it’s not the longest out there (by far), but it’s point & shoot easy & great off the tee as well if you tee it down... plus lofts are a little higher than normal to help the ball in the air... 16* 3 wood & 19* 5 wood... it’s like cheating... it’s so good... seriously lol... try them

Edited by TheFlyingWASP

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

I highly recommend the Callaway Big Bertha B21 5 wood, imo it is so easy to hit straight, especially with the amount of offset that this thing has. I use it as my driver also but it is also easy to hit from the deck. Give it a try!

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Are you more accurate with a 3 wood?  I hit a three wood basically as far as my driver, but the shallower face makes it harder to hit off the tee.  A 4 wood was a good compromise for me.  I can hit it long off the tee and also a lot better from the fairway than a 3 wood.  Ts2 16.5’s can be had for cheap on the bay and are solid...

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

A 3w won't help your accuracy woes due to it being  3w head.

What may help (and folks think its the 3w but its not, I used to do the same thing myself 🙂 ) is the 3w has  2" shorter in shaft. You are struggling with strike and path and have a slice. Shorter club helps minimize some of those errors in your swing. 

People too quickly go to a 3w for driving woes vs simply choking down. 

Yes it can get it your head you can't hit the driver. I play with people like that (my dad) and usually in the round I pull the driver out and just tell them 'hit this, choke down 2". Trust me'. 

Cheap seats way is practice with your current driver choking down significantly a bit. It may feel a tad light if you choke 2" (to 43.5 range if you have a 45.5 now). A bit of lead tape can be used to get some 'feel' back if needed.

The 3w/4w/5w discussion is usually centered around ability to elevate, ball speed etc...and the 4/5w is up your ally for that type of club most likely but I still think a driver is the right club to drive with, but it should be fit to a good length for you and likely at some point depending on your driver AoA, a good loft setting. But that is fine tuning: length/weight to get your strike better is the solution. 

Keep swinging!

A 4 wood, or an adjustable 3 wood that you can loft up, may be workable for you as noted a few times above.

I'm a 16 hdcp and my driver very often goes extremely cold on me. I have a Callaway Great Big Bertha 3w that I've lofted up to 4w territory and it's my go-to off the tee when the driver isn't working. 

I'm not a great fairway wood player, and I've tried a couple newer models this season but came back to my 16 degree cobra baffler glued hosel 3w (more like 4 wood but labeled 3) The shallow head makes it easy to launch and its a fairly large footprint the head so is confidence inspiring off the tee for sure. You can find them cheap as well, mine has the stock graphite designs 60g stiff. Great club. 

cobra.jpg

cobra2.jpg

Edited by kmay__
added address pic to show head size
  • Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I do realize that you are loyal to Cobra but the first thing that comes to my mind is a Mini-Driver.  Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore but you can get them used for a decent price.

I'm not a long hitter myself and only carry my 4 iron 180y.  But then again my 4 iron has 24 degrees of loft and 38.25 inches long.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Callaway Diablo Octane 3 wood is the first 3 wood I could hit off the deck. Been in my bag since 2010...tall face, easy to swing. Must set up with ball in middle of stance, and swing like iron...most people top their woods off the deck because they set up the ball too far forward. It is NOT a driver swing!! Learned this long time ago...

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

Honestly why not hit it further with a uber super forgiving Cobra.  I baught this two months ago and its a sweetheart.  Got it with a Fujikura x stiff tipped stiff 80, however I swing about 128 mph using a fairway wood so dont get my shaft; however it is long and very straight, I can even work it 40yrds left to about 30yrds right as well on command.  It also very adjustable.  $229 with the shaft you want next day aired free.  No brainer bud!  You wont regret it.

https://www.tgw.com/cobra-mens-king-speedzone-big-tour-fairway-wood 

I'm going to second the Ping G410 SFT 3W. I had similar issues to you with my driver so I picked up a G410 SFT 3W and used it off the tee while I worked out the mechanics of my swing. The SFT is not a 'cure-all' but it offers some help getting the club face in the right position. Some good lessons and a lot of practice will go further towards getting your distance and slice worked out. 

1. Search eBay for a Nike Lucky 13* or Sweet 16* with the stock Mitsubishi regular flex shaft.  I played a 13* for a while when I was just starting.

2. It is awful advice to tell someone with these issues to give up on 460cc clubhead off the tee.  Off the deck, sure.  Off the tee, these suggestions are awful.

3. They make 460cc heads with higher loft.  Don't go to a 3 wood off the tee.  You want loft, not a smaller head.

4. On an off-topic note, the difference between carrying a 4 wood 175 and 160 is enormous.  If you don't know the carry distance of your clubs +/- 20% the you will never be good, ever.  Get a rangefinder and go to the range.  Figure out where your irons stop going and that's where the used hybrids start.  I'm a decent-ish player and I don't even carry a 4 iron because its too hard to hit.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I was a big slicer of the ball on anything higher than 5 iron until I shallowed my swing on the bigger stuff. Once I was able to do that I with an instructor I got fitted and found out I had waaaaay too much spin on my longer clubs. Went low spin, low trajectory shafts on my long clubs. Hazardous Smoke Black on my TSi2 3 wood and Even flow t1100 white on my TS3 Driver. Hitting pretty darn straight these days. There could be 100 reasons you struggle with the slice on your driver and they may go to your 3 wood; I had two reasons. I went from a 19 HCP to a 11 basically over a week with those two fixes. Find out the root cause of the slice or your gonna spend money on the wrong thing. 

11 hours ago, pinestreetgolf said:

460cc heads with higher loft.  Don't go to a 3 wood off the tee.  You want loft, not a smaller head.

+1. Try a Callaway Bertha Fusion (2016) 13.5* driver with shorter 44.5" shaft? Or one of Taylormade's 12* drivers? (or "HL" i.e. 13*)
... if intended use = primarily off the tee, then the larger driver head > smaller 3-wood head?

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 11/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, Metro07 said:

Well, if you are still in decision time, please forget the 15 degree for a high capper.

I recommend something in at least a 4 wd at 16.5-17 degrees at 42.5 in BUT I would say go first with a 5 wood, 18 deg at 42 inches.

I would try the new Callaway Bertha series and Tour Edge - for friendly clubs. Tour Edge has several very friendly lines with friendly pricing.

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 3 weeks later...

I echo all previous statements about a 4 wood.  Something with 16.5-18* loft.  I have always been a long hitter, from the very first year I began golfing to today. I only have put a 3W in my bag for the past 5 years.  I gamed a 4W for over 20 years.  The extra loft will help launch a little higher at almost zero distance penalty from 15*, especially at lower swing speeds.  

As far as brands, it’s hard to find more forgiving models out there than some gently used Callaways or Pings. 

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 11/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, Metro07 said:

I slice the heck out of my driver so until I can get that ironed out I am gonna get a 3 wood. .. 

I am 53 and not a long hitter so I obviously don't have a fast or even moderate swing speed. I got back into golf 5 or 6 months ago after being out for many years and was never really that good back then ...

I'm hitting my 4 iron about 175 carry.

Before you spend $250 on a 3W, consider spending $60 on a tune-up lesson. Being out of the game for several years, you have the benefit of allowing your swing to go fallow. This is actually a term from farming for not planting in a field, to allow the field to rejuvenate.

Get the lesson now, before you engrain bad habits in your revitalizing golf swing.

See what causes your long-club slice. Possibly it has to do with set-up, possibly with overswinging because woods are longer clubs.

Hitting a 4 iron about 175 yards is respectable contact for irons... find out your motion problem with woods.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My vote is also the Ping G410 SFT 3 wood.  I have it in 3 wood and the 5 wood and I cannot say enough about them....it really is like cheating.

I was playing with a buddy of mine last weekend who just picked up the game this year and he was fighting the ocassional slice and really struggling hitting his woods off the deck.  Let him borrow my PING G410 SFT 3 wood for an approach shot he had.....was the best shot he hit all day and he was just laughing afterwards at how easy of a club it was to hit.  Highly recommend giving it a swing at your local shop as they are discounted right now in anticipation for the new 425 line.

Driver:  Ping G410 SFT w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff

3 Wood:  Ping G410 SFT w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 70 Stiff

5 Wood:   Ping G410 SFT w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 70 Stiff

Utility:  Titleist U-510 4 iron w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 HY 5.5

Irons:  Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-GW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 R300

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM7 54*10S and 58*10S w/ Dynamic Gold 105 R300

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7s w/ Super Stroke Traxion Pistol GT 1.0

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC +4 Align (Driver-GW) and Golf Pride MCC +4 (SW & LW)

Ball:  Vice Pro