2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade (MB) MythBuster

hypergolf

42 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

Not to derail your subject, but there's no way in 100 shots with a 1/2 iron MB, that I could ever get 230 out of said club from the deck like I do with my Rogue X 4i. High launch and low spin that just isn't possible with any MB.

You are probably right but most people who play MB really dont care about distance, or high launch and low spin.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Wolff's forward knee flex, IMO, is not "concentration/focu". It is simply a "trigger" much akin to the waggling you mention. As many posters in this thread there are just as many mental and physical preparations before one pulls the trigger.

Secondly, NOBODY makes a full swing at 80%. Nobody. I'll take 95% as a full swing leaving a little in reserve but except for a partial wedge,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

Thirdly, wanting a club that's "shorter so one's directional miss doesn't go into the woods is about the worst reason for choosing a less forgiving club. So disingenuous. And I'll bet I know where you got that idea. :classic_laugh:

And that "long miss" Mavrik ? For higher handicappers, the target audience for those irons, who barely ever hit it flush, that long miss will get them pin high for a change rather than a club short all the time. How many times does a 20 handicapper hit the (effective) sweet spot ? 1 out of 10 ? So I disagree. That so called "long miss" makes the game EASIER for the higher handicapper. Actually the whole point of 'em.  👍

Now, I'm a registered member of the "Play whatever you want for whatever reason(s) you want" club, but,,,,,,,,,,,,

As an aside, while I know it's not gonna happen, I wish it was mandatory for posters to put their handicap, even if estimated, in their profile. You know, so I know who I'm (possibly) listening to.

Handicap isn't the be all and end all of course but it's a decent indicator. And of course there are usually exceptions but I'm far more likely to consider/believe something someone says about hitting the sweet spot who's a "2" than a "20". I mean the last thing I want to hear is some 20+ capper telling me why I should hit blades.

Seems to me that the more one CAN hit the sweet spot the more one is able to relate same in a meaningful way. Not exactly a resume' but,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_cool:

Maybe I'm just too picky ? ¯\_()_/¯

The entire problem with the "when I miss I want to miss short" crew is they completely fail to understand that you don't have to hit the biggest club possible.  I play "chunky" irons.  Today I was on a par 3 and I didn't want a miss to get out of hand as it was incredibly windy.  I had around my 6 iron yardage, but hit a 7.  Instant blade forgiveness out of Mavrik irons!!!! Or just not being an idiot.  One or the other.  Why would you think you need to hit the game improvement iron that is as long as possibly needed?  Isn't a good thing to take randomness out?  If I hit a shot badly I want it to go... well, as long as I want it to go.  This idea that the trouble is never short but only long is literally the dumbest idea floating around WRX.  Just grab a club with a higher number on it if you don't want a flyer into trouble.

I'm a low cap who plays a bag full of Mavriks.  Why?  Because they go a long way and they help with my heavy miss.  I love the sound they make and I like how they look in the bag.  When I finally admitted my j40s were done and went shopping they gave me the best numbers by a lot.  The place I bought them from has a 90 day return policy but there is almost no chance they're going anywhere.

I am better with these than players CBs from 2013, FWIW.  Not sure if you care BUT it is not as simple as good caps play blades bad caps play chunky irons.  I really like these clubs.  I even bag the wedges and they are nice too.

Wolff's forward knee flex is a trigger like a million people have triggers and will continue to have them.  I dip my left shoulder once then bring it back then go because I have always had an issue turning too flat (hence my heavy contact issue).

So, the Mavriks:

look nice

feel great

fix my predominant miss, which is slightly heavy

So they're in the bag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

20 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

You are probably right but most people who play MB really dont care about distance, or high launch and low spin.

I'm just saying that this scenario completely debunks the same distance, loft-for-loft argument.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

34 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

I'm just saying that this scenario completely debunks the same distance, loft-for-loft argument.

Yes, and no. In a 20 degree club, yes, as the thinner hotter faces can make a difference. After 35 degrees no, there will be no difference loft for loft.

38 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

No, not really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

No, not really.

This thread is the first one I thought of when I commented about some threads are intended to be troll threads. 

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, A.Princey said:

Not at all.  Trackman won’t know if it’s a blade or a hybrid.  It can only show ball speed , dynamic loft and spin.  Right ?   The only way that club can go farther is “ impersonating “ another club.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think the whole argument more so surrounds a shot going further than intended when you aren't planning it to. The fact is a blade has a "truer" spin model (there are exceptions) and the likelihood of a flier is lower. So in the situation you're talking about, I'd feel comfortable taking a bit off the 6 and it not flying into oblivion with the blade over the GI. I also think it doesn't matter what club you play if you're going to fat it. You need some bounce and a bit of leading edge relief and you're good to go. I'm glad you like your new clubs, but I think that forgiveness is way overblown. Play what you like and what you're comfortable with. Blades make misses feel worse and a lot of people miss a lot of shots therefore the lack of perceived forgiveness puts them off. For me, my miss is long left. I hit middle on almost every shot but might just have my face to path a bit off. Playing something like your clubs would really not work for me. I get enough ball speed with blades and overcooking misses with hot clubs with lower spin is bad news. I got my best numbers in my most recent fitting out of the MP20 MB out of all the heads we tried. It was straighter, less difference in spin, better turf interaction.. list goes on. I don't think that my truth is everyone's truth. Some will feel more confident with more "help". I'm happy playing my 4-PW in my blades and don't see drawbacks. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but this has been my experience as a HO king who’s played everything from SGI to blades over the past 4 years. My scores don’t really change that much no matter what I’ve played. I feel into the marketing hype of GI/SGI irons for years thinking my scores will get better and I can conclusively say that’s not the case for me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Not at all.  Trackman won’t know if it’s a blade or a hybrid.  It can only show ball speed , dynamic loft and spin.  Right ?   The only way that club can go farther is “ impersonating “ another club.  

I’m seriously waiting for a company to make a CB that is all tungsten on the back/perimeter with a forged cup face. Size of a MB but still a CB with absolutely Max MOI for a MB type club. Imagine how small one you could make a head if only the face and hosel are steel, and the rest tungsten???

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

8 hours ago, JDMRN81 said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but this has been my experience as a HO king who’s played everything from SGI to blades over the past 4 years. My scores don’t really change that much no matter what I’ve played. I feel into the marketing hype of GI/SGI irons for years thinking my scores will get better and I can conclusively say that’s not the case for me. 

It’s rarely the case for anyone. There are trade offs for any choice.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1. You will lose distance with blades - BUSTED - FOR YOU.  Everyone is different.  On a solid strike, with like for like lofts against a standard CB iron, distance should be the same or very close.  Increased spin with the MB, can decrease distance for some players.

2. Blades are more punishing than cavity backs - SEMI-BUSTED - Not even close to busted, not even FOR YOU.  When hit off center the same amount the MB will go shorter than a CB.  This has been proven time and again.  If the hazards at your course are all short of the green your scores will go up.

3. You need good swing to play with blades - SEMI-BUSTED -  FOR YOU.  You have to consistently deliver contact to the SS or close to it or blades punish you.  This will cause some people to concentrate more, just because it works for you it no reason to make a blanket statement.

4. Blades have higher spin rate - CONFIRMED - Absolutely. Even with the same loft, MB's "TEND" to spin more than CB's.   I am sure there is some example of CB's that spin more than a MB out there.  As far as a blanket statement, this is one that is the closest to being correct.

5. Blades feel better than CBs/game improvement irons - CONFIRMED - FOR YOU.  Feel is subjective, for instance I think the i500 ping irons feel horrible and clanky.  Some people actually like how they feel and have said they feel great.  Feel is sound and vibration for a human.  Grip and shaft have a huge impact on feel and everyone is different.  I still think that the J40 CB irons in my closet are the best feeling irons I have ever played or tried, but you may disagree.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Never got the whole "blades make you swing better/force you to hit the ball better " mantra. If I'm a 16yo new driver & drive a Honda Civic, does switching to a Z06 Corvette magically make me better? Or, if I'm a terrible ice skater and use budget skates, does switching to the latest $900 stiff as a board skate suddenly give me ability that I didn't have before??

Playing blades might make a good ball striker strike the ball better, but it's isn't going to turn a weekend hack into a scratch player unless they do significant swing work.

32 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Never got the whole "blades make you swing better/force you to hit the ball better " mantra. If I'm a 16yo new driver & drive a Honda Civic, does switching to a Z06 Corvette magically make me better? Or, if I'm a terrible ice skater and use budget skates, does switching to the latest $900 stiff as a board skate suddenly give me ability that I didn't have before??

Playing blades might make a good ball striker strike the ball better, but it's isn't going to turn a weekend hack into a scratch player unless they do significant swing work.

It's really based around feedback. Does that necessarily make you better? Depends if you know what to do with the feedback you get. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's really based around feedback. Does that necessarily make you better? Depends if you know what to do with the feedback you get. 

Yeah and I'm guessing like .1% of players actually know how to correctly alter their swing in a way to re-center their strike, because it means they need to know the actual correct root cause of their swing faults in the first place.

Besides, you don't need a MB to get feedback. There's plenty of player CB's that offer excellent "strike detection" capabilities while providing at least a little bit of forgiveness on your slight miss-hits.

Furthermore:

[quote]What percent of PGA Tour players use blades?
35 percent

Blades on the PGA Tour

Approximately 25 percent to 35 percent of PGA Tour players use blades, according to a 2011 'Golf Digest' article. [/quote]

I'd like to see a 2018 or 2019 survey but I doubt it changes a ton. So if guys playing for millions every week who are literally the best players on this planet are in the majority NOT using MB's... What's that say?

I'm not here to say I'm totally right or that MB's are bad... it's just that it's really extremely player specific and that odds are, nobody "needs" to use an MB. If you hit the middle almost every time and you like how a certain MB looks or feels, and the turf interaction is right... heck yeah go for it. Just don't expect to gain tons over a comparable CB.
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Agree with this. I play and love blades but I never understood this argument. How many youtube videos do you see with a comment from some hack saying "blades are the only true game improvement iron". The idea that a crap ball striker playing blades will become a good one just due to the club is ridiculous. For a high level player, I do think that the feedback can be beneficial. The difference between my Miura 501 and say the 1008 I had previously is so minimal. Like it is REALLY picking hairs. There is no discernible difference in flight on a poorly struck shot, however, the feedback is more intense. That can be good or bad depending on how sensitive you are. Some better players can get put off but a bad feeling shot ending up okay. They might prefer the feeling to be more "oh that wasn't quite perfect feeling but I'm happy with the result" rather than "that felt horrid I can't believe it's on the green".  I like a truly pure shot to feel absolutely incredible. Lots of swings feel good but not perfect but still yield good results and this is from someone who is near middle consistently. If I was playing saying an i210 or T100, I'd feel like I had properly pured each shot. Truthfully I played 5 or so rounds with a set of T100 earlier in the year and that's how it felt. Every shot felt like I had just buttoned it. That kind of bugged me. Now I can differentiate a truly perfect strike from a good strike from an okay strike. I also feel like I have better control over my number. That's just me, and many are different such as the fellow above who loves his Mavriks. Doesn't matter, I'm just happy I can shoot under par! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yeah and I'm guessing like .1% of players actually know how to correctly alter their swing in a way to re-center their strike, because it means they need to know the actual correct root cause of their swing faults in the first place.

Besides, you don't need a MB to get feedback. There's plenty of player CB's that offer excellent "strike detection" capabilities while providing at least a little bit of forgiveness on your slight miss-hits.

Furthermore:

35 percent

Blades on the PGA Tour

Approximately 25 percent to 35 percent of PGA Tour players use blades, according to a 2011 'Golf Digest' article. [/quote]

I'd like to see a 2018 or 2019 survey but I doubt it changes a ton. So if guys playing for millions every week who are literally the best players on this planet are in the majority NOT using MB's... What's that say?

I'm not here to say I'm totally right or that MB's are bad... it's just that it's really extremely player specific and that odds are, nobody "needs" to use an MB. If you hit the middle almost every time and you like how a certain MB looks or feels, and the turf interaction is right... heck yeah go for it. Just don't expect to gain tons over a comparable CB.

I think it's important to recognize 

1. They're playing for a lot of money and 2ft closer to the hole is statistically a huge deal 

2. The courses they play are comparatively super long

3. The course conditions are insanely tough compared to most of what we play 

I think that number 2 is especially important. I play my course at 6700 for men's league and 7100 for tournaments. I hit my driver 300-320. It is so incredibly rare I have anything more than a 7 or 8 iron in on a par 4. Our longest is a 475 par 4 and I usually hit a knockdown 7 in on my second shot. It is not uncommon to see 500 yard+ par 4s on tour. I have two par 3s that play around 200-210 and our par 5s don't have water guarded greens so if you're short on your second it's no big deal. My long irons are usually used for lay ups or the two longer par 3s otherwise they don't leave the bag. Our course is very, very tough, but I don't find blades make a difference whatsoever. Our greens are SUPER firm - PGA firm -  and the truer spin model is very helpful.  

Edited by TigerInTheWoods
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Furthermore:

35 percent

Blades on the PGA Tour

I don't care what people play or the reasons they play them. I prefer blades or players CBs because they sit better behind the ball for me and suit my swing. What tour players use is meaningless to me. It's just a game, and I'll play with anyone who isn't a d&*k. 

13 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think the whole argument more so surrounds a shot going further than intended when you aren't planning it to. The fact is a blade has a "truer" spin model (there are exceptions) and the likelihood of a flier is lower. So in the situation you're talking about, I'd feel comfortable taking a bit off the 6 and it not flying into oblivion with the blade over the GI. I also think it doesn't matter what club you play if you're going to fat it. You need some bounce and a bit of leading edge relief and you're good to go. I'm glad you like your new clubs, but I think that forgiveness is way overblown. Play what you like and what you're comfortable with. Blades make misses feel worse and a lot of people miss a lot of shots therefore the lack of perceived forgiveness puts them off. For me, my miss is long left. I hit middle on almost every shot but might just have my face to path a bit off. Playing something like your clubs would really not work for me. I get enough ball speed with blades and overcooking misses with hot clubs with lower spin is bad news. I got my best numbers in my most recent fitting out of the MP20 MB out of all the heads we tried. It was straighter, less difference in spin, better turf interaction.. list goes on. I don't think that my truth is everyone's truth. Some will feel more confident with more "help". I'm happy playing my 4-PW in my blades and don't see drawbacks. 

Absolutely nailed it. Off a dry tee there may not be much difference, but throw in some moisture, dirt, sand, grass, all the above, etc. when trying to hit a ball, and the club with more spin (CB or MB) will be more predictable. Low spin can also be disaster both directions, balls can fall out of the air or take off, so it brings in misses both long or short. It's also not just a CB vs. MB issue, it's the head and shaft combo producing the right numbers. My fitting was tied between the MP20s and Titleist CBs. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Absolutely nailed it. Off a dry tee there may not be much difference, but throw in some moisture, dirt, sand, grass, all the above, etc. when trying to hit a ball, and the club with more spin (CB or MB) will be more predictable. Low spin can also be disaster both directions, balls can fall out of the air or take off, so it brings in misses both long or short. It's also not just a CB vs. MB issue, it's the head and shaft combo producing the right numbers. My fitting was tied between the MP20s and Titleist CBs. 

Yep, as Crossfield often says, and I paraphrase, "Why would I you want to give up spin to the course when it's already taking it in so many ways?"

1 hour ago, gators78 said:

Ummmm,,,,,,,, not sure I get this.

Off a "dry" fairway the club makes "clean" contact with the ball. No dirt, sand, grass, etc.

Add ANY of those into the equation and the spin is no longer predictable or consistent - so yes, it can bring in misses both long and short for either type of club .

Not so ? :classic_blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

15 hours ago, A.Princey said:

14 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

No, not really.

I thought I'd chime in to make a real answer, instead of my Monty Python Argument Sketch sort of answer.  Who knows, someone might actually care?   LOL

Your Rogue-yes/MB-no situation is how this works for you, but it may not work for everyone, not unlike driveandputtmachine posted to the OP a bit above.  I say this as someone who did do this with blade irons, back when I actually had the junk in the trunk to pull it off.  

The caveat/disclaimer, I am a fairly high trajectory player, even more so in those days.  I could do that with the two sets I was playing at the time, though one required me to switch to a lower spin ball due to an excess of spin with that set (Mizuno MS-11s).  

Not all blades produce the same trajectory.  It's quite possible there were blade sets I could not have used to produce that shot, because of their trajectory influence.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Ummmm,,,,,,,, not sure I get this.

Off a "dry" fairway the club makes "clean" contact with the ball. No dirt, sand, grass, etc.

Add ANY of those into the equation and the spin is no longer predictable or consistent - so yes, it can bring in misses both long and short for either type of club .

Not so ? :classic_blink:

When it's lift, clean, and place, and my caddy gets to clean my clubs, after an absolute Tour level driving performance of hitting 14 fairways, I'll totally agree with you. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

That’s a funny point.   I learned to drive in a solid lifter 327 65 4 speed corvette.  Basically a race car.    So I’d say yes.  If you can parallel park a vette while keeping it from loading up and fouling a plug , not scaring the dmv lady and not choking her down , then you likely can outdrive the dude in his moms civic.  Sure. Practice is involved.  But if you’re going to put in the work. Why not put it on performance, not reliability ?    If you Don’t plan to work , then There’s really no need in having a discussion on performance.  

remember. Necessity is the mother of invention.  We can do what we “ have to “ much easier than if there’s a choice.   

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, gators78 said:

100 % right on.  I’ve preached this forever. Spin is control.  Control is the name of the game with an iron.  Low spin is not what you want. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

100 % right on.  I’ve preached this forever. Spin is control.  Control is the name of the game with an iron.  Low spin is not what you want. 

Except he's talking about a lack of control. "Stuff" getting between the ball and the club face is almost never a good thing regardless of club type.

But I'm confused (sadly not a rare thing). Remind me how this works again.

A primary advantage of blades is that they are more maneuverable. It's easier to curve the ball either way. Not so ?

So how does the CB, which does spin less, go further off line ? :classic_blink:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Except he's talking about a lack of control. "Stuff" getting between the ball and the club face is almost never a good thing regardless of club type.

A primary advantage of blades is that they are more maneuverable. It's easier to curve the ball either way. Not so ?

I can hit my Mavrik 7 iron forever.  Its badass.  You can preach all you want about control but nothing sounds like those things.  Its like having a potato cannon on par 3s.

• Haha 2

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

18 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Just like a low spin high launch driver.  Low spin is harder to control.  That’s not my opinion. That’s fact. Higher spin ,  It flies shorter.  But it’s predictable.  Ever seen the low cut guy with driver that never misses a fairway ?  That’s why. He’s spinning it around 3500k rpm.  Always goes out left and comes back.  

Even if it’s a guy who can’t control it into the green. It’s still predictable. He KNOWS that full wedge will suck back.  So he doesn’t hit it if he can’t keep it on.  

That’s  my issue with the irons im playing right now. Too low spin.  You never know where to aim.  Sometimes it spins enough to draw.  Most times not.  But sometimes it will.  Lol.  So do you guess and aim  straight or right or ?    If it spins enough , you can predict it’s going to draw or fade.  Then it becomes a question of how much ?  So you calculate the miss to accept not enough.  Which is a straight ball .  You also learn how  to take spin off snd hit it straight on purpose.  This is now what you call “control” . When the spin is low there’s very little ways to add spin and achieve this “ control “.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

I can hit my Mavrik 7 iron forever.  Its badass.  You can preach all you want about control but nothing sounds like those things.  Its like having a potato cannon on par 3s.

I Sincerely hope the honey moon lasts forever for you.  But I’ve been down that road many times.  And like Lucy pulling the football.  It always ends the same way.  Higher scores , and frustration.  That’s me being as real and sincere as I can be.  

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock